Options

[Roleplaying Games] New Year, New Dungeons, Same Ol' Bane

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    It could be fun to have the Monologue be a separate character archetype with goals competing with those of the players and DM-like scene-setting powers.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Oh so one person just plays "The Monologue"? Mmmm yes that could be great.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Would there be any interest in a Ten Candles PbP? Obviously, some changes would have to be made for it to be a forum game, but since everyone is guaranteed to die, it should be seen through to completion (unlike a lot of PbPs).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Ten Candles is one of those games where I think you lose a lot playing online or in a format where the "theater" of it gets taken away. Kind of similar to Dread in that way, because while it's possible to represent Dread's mechanics online the actual Jenga tower is quite an essential element of the games tension.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    This report from the Roll20 blog shows how many people are playing what on their site by system. Not a perfect representation of the overall player makeup out there but it is quite an interesting document to reference when talking about which systems are the most popular... http://blog.roll20.net/post/143493281735/the-orr-group-industry-report-q1-2016?utm_source=Roll20&utm_campaign=d705c5666d-The_Orr_Report_Update_1_181_25_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_85534a0ce7-d705c5666d-314512309

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Amigu wrote: »
    This report from the Roll20 blog shows how many people are playing what on their site by system. Not a perfect representation of the overall player makeup out there but it is quite an interesting document to reference when talking about which systems are the most popular... http://blog.roll20.net/post/143493281735/the-orr-group-industry-report-q1-2016?utm_source=Roll20&utm_campaign=d705c5666d-The_Orr_Report_Update_1_181_25_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_85534a0ce7-d705c5666d-314512309

Well, I am about to add a Shadowrun, Trail of Cthulhu and Star Wars game to that list :P

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    There 600 Stars Without Numbers games running on roll20? Man I guess d20 really is a huge advantage.

A lot of this lumping together is weird, of course. All Warhammer lumped together is, of course, going to seem like a very healthy property. I am willing to bet there are less than 500 games of RT, DH, Fantasy, and DW when you break them all out.

I'm not really surprised to see Fate with 600ish games being run. I figure 400-600 is fairly typical for "not D&D."

Stunned to see 200 Dragon Age RPG games running. It's a pretty good system, but the setting is super boring.

~125 games split between L5R and 7th Sea. Yikes.

More games of Maid RPG than Exalted. Which really makes me want to see what that 1100 White Wolf block looks like broken out (because I figure most of the settings are running below 300 games).

Now I'm kind of curious how much they'll offer Dresden Files FAE GMs to run open to the public.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    So Gen Con event registration is this weekend. I'm actively trying to get more new and different games in rather than being boring and old. Anybody have suggestions for things I should look for?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    So Gen Con event registration is this weekend. I'm actively trying to get more new and different games in rather than being boring and old. Anybody have suggestions for things I should look for?
    Old, boring guys. They run the best games.

• Options
    Are there any cool books on the history of RPGs?

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Designers & Dragons. It's a series.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

There'sa Biography of Gary Gygax that came out semi-recently that was pretty good.

(Full disclosure, I received a copy of the book for review purposes.)

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I like the idea of DramaHearts.

I feel like it deserves a random plot generator mechanic, so it becomes as outlandish as possible just when the players start acting sensible or solve a problem. Suddenly, you're actually her mother! Suddenly, you're a drug addict! Suddenly, a plane crashes into your house!

The stats could still be hot, cold, volatile, dark- just dark is hidden emotions and secrets rather than the actual abyss.

• Options
    When you accuse someone of something, anything at all, roll with dark.
    On a 10 up, it's true! How shocking! They take the Condition reeling.
    On a 7 to 9, they choose 1:
    - It's true, and they take +1 ongoing against you until it's resolved.
    - It's only partially true, they say what's up and you take a String on them.
    - It's not true, and they take -2 forward to prove you wrong.
    On a miss, you're a liar, and worse, it's really all about you!

• Options
    Roll 6 on the "you slept with my best friend!" accusation. Fun times.

Roll 11 on the "you're an evil parellel dimension version of my girlfriend" and crack the game wide open.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Question about that first roll; if you miss, it's all about you, right? But does that change the rest of the context?
    Like in that particular case does the accusation become "I slept with your best friend" or does the player just swap "you" for "I"?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Question about that first roll; if you miss, it's all about you, right? But does that change the rest of the context?
    Like in that particular case does the accusation become "I slept with your best friend" or does the player just swap "you" for "I"?

Yep!

Err... I was think you swap the you for I, but either could work. I just threw it together for the funny.

I reckon it'd flow better narratively if it became "I slept with your best friend".

It's got to be that open and vague, because you can accuse anyone of literally anything, like, "you wrote yourself into Trevor's will!" or "You're secretly Hispanic!"

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Ardent wrote: »
    There 600 Stars Without Numbers games running on roll20? Man I guess d20 really is a huge advantage.

A lot of this lumping together is weird, of course. All Warhammer lumped together is, of course, going to seem like a very healthy property. I am willing to bet there are less than 500 games of RT, DH, Fantasy, and DW when you break them all out.

I'm not really surprised to see Fate with 600ish games being run. I figure 400-600 is fairly typical for "not D&D."

Stunned to see 200 Dragon Age RPG games running. It's a pretty good system, but the setting is super boring.

More games of Maid RPG than Exalted. Which really makes me want to see what that 1100 White Wolf block looks like broken out (because I figure most of the settings are running below 300 games).

Now I'm kind of curious how much they'll offer Dresden Files FAE GMs to run open to the public.

Exalted is a fucking nightmare to run is why

I say this as I am running Ex3 right now and christ they said they'd make it easier on GMs, and maybe they did, but it's still several times harder to run than any other game I've ran ever, and I've done more planning for this campaign than any other I've run as well.

• Options
    So I'm making an Apocalypse World hack, as I am want to do, about Moby Dick, except with giant Godzillas in place of whales. It's pretty neat.

I don't know what it is about the system that makes me say, yeah, sure, thats perfectly doable. I don't think I'll ever get sick of it.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    So I'm making an Apocalypse World hack, as I am want to do, about Moby Dick, except with giant Godzillas in place of whales. It's pretty neat.

I don't know what it is about the system that makes me say, yeah, sure, thats perfectly doable. I don't think I'll ever get sick of it.

I mean, I could see Moby Dick as basically a Pacific Rim prequel. That would be kind of awesome, actually.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Now when you say giant Godzilla's, do you mean giant compared to the normal Godzilla?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Now when you say giant Godzilla's, do you mean giant compared to the normal Godzilla?

Also, which Godzilla? 1954 Godzilla was 50 meters tall. 2014 US Godzilla was 150 meters tall. All other Godzillas were between those two.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Modifier of the One Shot podcast network have a pretty interestinf podcast where they interview a lawyer about he ins and outs of Wizard's new OGL. This is something that's always kinda held me back from putting stuff out there! http://oneshotpodcast.com/podcasts/modifier/7-modifier-gets-a-lawyer/

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

I mean, I could see Moby Dick as basically a Pacific Rim prequel. That would be kind of awesome, actually.

So the question is then, are you each piloting a smallish whaler, which has its own stats like some mech hacks have, or are you all on one boat trying to kill the thing?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    So the Mage game we were going to play got put on hold before it started. Some of the new people in the group didn't have the WOD experience most of us had and felt diving in with Mage was overwhelming. So we're running a Hunters-ish game based out the 13th Precinct. Human cops for everyone.

My character Don "Hardtop" Brooks specializes in his driving skills. My buddy made his partner, Patrick "Longarm" O'Malley who specializes in grappling and takedowns. We giggled like idiots as we based our characters around a horrible 80s cartoon. None of the other players has any idea of the terrible thing we've done.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Also, which Godzilla? 1954 Godzilla was 50 meters tall. 2014 US Godzilla was 150 meters tall. All other Godzillas were between those two.

All the godzillas. Godzilli. To be honest I mean whatever random Kaiju I cook up.

It actually takes place across shattered snowy volcanic mountains and vast salt beds, so you drive quad bikes, "octo-pods", bulldozers and zeppelins.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    That pitch reminds me of Railsea.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    I do not know this thing called Railsea, but I like it!

It's not wholly new, I'm using all over core AW to play it, I'm just adding extra stuff. In theory you don't even need that, the new subtefuge and roadwar moves are perfectly aligned to climbing on monsters.

• Options
    Railsea is a pretty great setting, and the book itself is neat. I read it with my middle schoolers back in the day. It's basically Moby Dick set on a dystopic desert world criss-crossed by seemingly random railroad tracks and with the whales replaced by giant moles.

As AW settings go, it's a strong one.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    So the Mage game we were going to play got put on hold before it started. Some of the new people in the group didn't have the WOD experience most of us had and felt diving in with Mage was overwhelming. So we're running a Hunters-ish game based out the 13th Precinct. Human cops for everyone.

My character Don "Hardtop" Brooks specializes in his driving skills. My buddy made his partner, Patrick "Longarm" O'Malley who specializes in grappling and takedowns. We giggled like idiots as we based our characters around a horrible 80s cartoon. None of the other players has any idea of the terrible thing we've done.

Oh man. Now I want to see a WoD game that's like "The Good Guys", with the PCs doing the most dead end job the police can find but end up wrapped up in this weird supernatural stuff but the rest of the police force doesn't believe them. Complete with starting each session with a brief flash forward to the climax and with the PCs managing to save the day but causing so much property damage or political problems for their superiors to deal with.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have a good FATE let's play they can recommend? I've been planning on running a on off for a couple of friends in anticipation of building a real campaign, and I'd like to get some sort of experience with the system.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

So the question is then, are you each piloting a smallish whaler, which has its own stats like some mech hacks have, or are you all on one boat trying to kill the thing?

I mean

obviously it would be two people per boat.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

I say this as I am running Ex3 right now and christ they said they'd make it easier on GMs, and maybe they did, but it's still several times harder to run than any other game I've ran ever, and I've done more planning for this campaign than any other I've run as well.
    Oh, I know. I'm running Ex3 (not on roll20, natch) and it's non-stop garbage. "Is trying to convince people I'm cool and trustworthy Socialize or Presence?" is one of those questions that has no fucking answer. (I mean you kind of look at it like it's an Instill roll, but then you're like...but Socialize specifically says it deals with things like this...) It blows my mind because my answer to questions about what should be rolled now boils down to "whatever you think" and it's like why even have rules if you're going to make the mechanics so damn irrelevant?

I wrote a PbtA hack for a harem slice-of-life comedy anime on cocktail napkins and then proceeded to run it for 4 otherwise perfect strangers. It's a pretty great example of minimalist game design that you can reliably game with something just by carrying around 2d6. It's the craps of RPGs.

• Options
    Morat242Morat242 Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Solar wrote: »

Oh, I know. I'm running Ex3 (not on roll20, natch) and it's non-stop garbage. "Is trying to convince people I'm cool and trustworthy Socialize or Presence?" is one of those questions that has no fucking answer. (I mean you kind of look at it like it's an Instill roll, but then you're like...but Socialize specifically says it deals with things like this...) It blows my mind because my answer to questions about what should be rolled now boils down to "whatever you think" and it's like why even have rules if you're going to make the mechanics so damn irrelevant?

Writing a good, coherent, and clear system that's as complicated as Exalted "must" be is probably beyond human capabilities. But then on top of that, let's be polite and say that the forte of the Exalted writers has never been system design.

And, yes, it's fucking terrible to be asked to spend money buying unusable rules and then hours of my life carefully reading hundreds of pages just to realize that they're crap.

re: 7th Sea and L5R
    It's a little surprising. Both of those games need to be torn down all the way back to their basic concept and given a clean-sheet redesign, but they're still the leading names in some pretty popular genres.

Morat242 on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I've never run or played 7th sea, but L5R can be a nightmare to run. The mechanics are marginal at best, the system is largely opaque to players who are just trying to pick it up and the setting evokes very different impulses in different players.

I can't imagine running it for a group that wasnt already well established, much less for strangers online.

Edit: and unless you enforce a single clan requirement or are doing a Day of Thunders thing, your players are almost guaranteed to work at cross purposes, which the system is very poorly setup to deal with.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    7th Sea is exactly like that. I'm running a 1st edition game (with the problematic parts of the setting excised) right now with my childhood friends because this is the game we played when we were teenagers, and holy shit is it bad. Way too many skills to keep track (Why do you need both a Shadowing and a Stealth skill, seriously ?), the player characters starts only good at one thing (or at nothing if they take sorcery), so they'll never swing from a chandelier because they suck at it (or if that is the thing they're good at, they'll never hit). The fights are either a consequence-less breeze or a hour long slog.

Also, the majority of the setting is contrary to standard swasbuckling tropes. Gritty monster hunting in a war-ruined country and Vikings rune magick are not my definition of swashbuckling. Even in the most swashbucly part of the setting, not-France, you can go in the ancient ruins in the Catacombes and suddenly you're playing DnD.

I find that I'm fighting both againts the mechanics and the setting, argh !

• Options
    edited May 2016
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I've never run or played 7th sea, but L5R can be a nightmare to run. The mechanics are marginal at best, the system is largely opaque to players who are just trying to pick it up and the setting evokes very different impulses in different players.

I can't imagine running it for a group that wasnt already well established, much less for strangers online.

Edit: and unless you enforce a single clan requirement or are doing a Day of Thunders thing, your players are almost guaranteed to work at cross purposes, which the system is very poorly setup to deal with.

As a GM running L5R for a group who's never played L5R, I have to disagree on the system. The Roll and Keep system is fairly straight forward and easy to understand and grasp. My group has had no issues picking it up, and have grown to really like it. Of course, my players love rolling dice, so that helps a lot.

The setting though, that takes a lot of effort. There is such a different mindset for players in that game then traditional d&d style adventures that the roleplaying portion tends to slow down a whole lot. We often interrupt roleplaying to talk about the setting and how different character mindsets should be.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The L5R game I'm in has been just fine, including one player new to RPGs altogether. But the GM has been run I v the system for a long time and built up his own recent history for the setting, and generally runs things lighter than I imagine a hard-core GM would.

I think L5R would benefit greatly from a narrative dice mechanic. We'll see what FFG does.

• Options
    The times I've been able to get L5R to the table, the dice mechanics were really rough and had a hard time getting out of the way for the story.

It's one of those settings that I love but result can't see myself ever running in the original ruleset again.

• Options
    I've never seen the dice mechanics get in the way of the story for L5R, because the DM can always do with the dice what he needs to do. I mean, I guess if you don't like rolling dice its a problem, but if I didn't like rolling dice, I wouldn't be playing RPGs in the first place. The thing with the R&K system, the DM simply keeps what he needs to. If you need the players to have a rough time, keep your highest dice. If you want the players to succeed at something, keep the lower value dice you roll so they win. Adjust what dice you keep as needed.

PSN|AspectVoid