As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Precognition

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Precognition

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    NemrexNemrex Registered User regular
    ...mmmmmm Don't know why, but the middle part of the panel reminds me of this for some reason.

old.jpg

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    That Simpsons image is seeing a lot of use lately. Maybe it's just me.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    I'd read a Doom review like that.

• Options
    OkayestOkayest Registered User regular
    Haha, this is great and precisely how I am feeling about a lot of idiotic "biopolitics of Zerg Swarm as compared to moral agency in Tom Clancy's The Division" reviews that are cropping up with increasing frequency.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Nemrex wrote: »
    ...mmmmmm Don't know why, but the middle part of the panel reminds me of this for some reason.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/019/304/old.jpg
    Yes, that's certainly is a pointless, overused response.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    If only we'd tried talking to the demons...

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    yeah. Those demons should totally hash it out with the doomguy. Who is by all accounts a base and vile aggressor. "It's just ONE DUDE with a shotgun. How bad can it be?" -Hell knight moments before being blown clean in half by a double barrel.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    On the one hand, I want to mock the guys for being cranky old men. On the other hand, fucking kombucha, why is this even a thing, you're so right.

Wait, is Doom actually good?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Oh man, I went to school with Runyon Dralp. He always dressed like he was in The Matrix...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Oh man, I went to school with Runyon Dralp. He always dressed like he was in The Matrix...

latest?cb=20120503144727

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Sometimes I wonder if he ever got those metal legs.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    On the one hand, I want to mock the guys for being cranky old men. On the other hand, fucking kombucha, why is this even a thing, you're so right.

DOOM is fucking rad. It's Mortal Kombat: the FPS

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Skull2185 wrote: »

DOOM is fucking rad. It's Mortal Kombat: the FPS

Is it 1993?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Tycho is a crotchety old man at heart.

• Options
    KingdomNerdiaKingdomNerdia Registered User new member
    Can Runyon Dralp be a recurring character? Please? That's the best name y'all have come up with in a while.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Y'know that episode of South Park where everyone is a Yelp Reviewer, and Gerald (Kyle's dad) writes these super smug, totally pretentious yelp reviews while wearing a cardigan sweater and smoking a pipe? This reminds me of that, and I was totally picturing Runyon Dralp writing that review in a similar manner to Gerald Broflovski.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Doom is so good. It's like if you went back to your childhood home, and your dad was still alive, and the cat that was put down when you were 10 ran up to and rubbed up against your leg. It's an impossible transplant from 1993 into 2016. Dark magics must have been involved in it's creation. I half expect someone to start screaming "It's unnatural! It's just not right! What's dead should stay dead!" Meanwhile I'm just happy to have Doom back.

And yeah, seems like precisely the sort of game that would get lukewarm to negative reviews for being just another hyper violent, white male power fantasy, which unironically glorifies violence for it's own sake. If Polygon hadn't already made a laughing stock of themselves with their "first 30 minutes" footage, I'm sure we'd have seen an equally unhinged "Kiss Vs Kill" article about Doom from them already.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I had to look up 'kombucha.' It seems very ... unsafe.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    AKA the D&D movies thread. I kid, I kid.

I'm not so sure that this is a "millenial" issue. I feel like rectum-gazing overanalysis has been attached to every art form throughout history. Millenials just took it out of academia and obscure zines and put it on the internet.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    AnarCHrisAnarCHris Trash Lord New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    AKA the D&D movies thread. I kid, I kid.

I'm not so sure that this is a "millenial" issue. I feel like rectum-gazing overanalysis has been attached to every art form throughout history. Millenials just took it out of academia and obscure zines and put it on the internet.

BACK IN MY DAY WE KNEW A GAME WAS GOOD BUT THE FACES THE MAN MADE IN GAMEPRO!

Also the irony that the "Review" reads exactly like one of Tycho's news posts does not escape me.

AnarCHris on
  • Options
    Psy-QPsy-Q Registered User new member
    I'm replaying Quake this month and that was refreshingly... fast? Now the Doom reviews start pouring in where everyone comments on how fast-paced it is, but back when we played Doom and Quake the first time, they were just "the speed that games simply are" 8-)

• Options
    WhelmedWhelmed Registered User regular
    Two forces are at play - one is that we know how incredibly embarrassing the earnest people of the 60s were even at the times they were making major positive social changes. They were ridiculous. Millennial earnestness is no different, but when they're in the forest they can't see the trees. The second is that Gen X dealt with this inherited embarrassment by coating ourselves in a thick layer of irony that sincerity has no hope of penetrating, and we've never emerged. When faced with True Believers, the effect is similar to confronting a vampire with a crucifix. But in the end, everyone is completely out of touch in their own way, and as collective generations we'll simply have to be confused by each other for eternity.

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Very clever choice of the fuchsia byline, that makes it ambiguous if the review is coming from Polygon or Kotaku (reads more like Polylgon though. Oh, and I guess that's Polygon's share buttons, so... maybe not so ambiguous.)

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular

Yeah that is what I'm wondering as well.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    ironheadironhead Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »

Yeah that is what I'm wondering as well.

If the opinion of some random poster on the internet means anything to you, it is. The single player is amazing while the multiplayer is passable but not great.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    This comic is accurate. I keep seeing more reviews like this these days.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Whelmed wrote: »
    Two forces are at play - one is that we know how incredibly embarrassing the earnest people of the 60s were even at the times they were making major positive social changes. They were ridiculous. Millennial earnestness is no different, but when they're in the forest they can't see the trees. The second is that Gen X dealt with this inherited embarrassment by coating ourselves in a thick layer of irony that sincerity has no hope of penetrating, and we've never emerged. When faced with True Believers, the effect is similar to confronting a vampire with a crucifix. But in the end, everyone is completely out of touch in their own way, and as collective generations we'll simply have to be confused by each other for eternity.

Honestly, it takes some goddamned balls for guys whose generation has never known want to throw shade on one that fought in a pointless armed conflict and suffered the brunt of one of the worst economic downturns in world history. Major goddamned balls.

I'm sorry, but are they trying to court the CNN demographic by being smug about millenials?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    GSM wrote: »
    Very clever choice of the fuchsia byline, that makes it ambiguous if the review is coming from Polygon or Kotaku (reads more like Polylgon though. Oh, and I guess that's Polygon's share buttons, so... maybe not so ambiguous.)

Honestly it sounds like Kill Screen to me. I love them, but they are the worst offenders for stuff like this (no surprise they used to be owned by Pitchfork).

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Zython wrote: »

Honestly, it takes some goddamned balls for guys whose generation has never known want to throw shade on one that fought in a pointless armed conflict and suffered the brunt of one of the worst economic downturns in world history. Major goddamned balls.

I'm sorry, but are they trying to court the CNN demographic by being smug about millenials?

I keep thinking I'm reading this wrong, because there is no possible way... but, are you comparing Millennials to "The Greatest Generation"?

I have terrible news for you. If you think Millennials have suffered depredations now, you ain't seen nothing yet. We're going to look back on these days as the good ol' times.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Namrok wrote: »

I keep thinking I'm reading this wrong, because there is no possible way... but, are you comparing Millennials to "The Greatest Generation"?

I have terrible news for you. If you think Millennials have suffered depredations now, you ain't seen nothing yet. We're going to look back on these days as the good ol' times.

I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case (especially if Trump wins). My point is that Gen X came of age during the 80's and 90's, a time where the worst armed conflicts were Grenada and the Gulf War, and the economy was on the rise.

At least the Boomers had Vietnam.
    GSM wrote: »

Honestly it sounds like Kill Screen to me. I love them, but they are the worst offenders for stuff like this (no surprise they used to be owned by Pitchfork).

Oh, yeah. Kill Screen are hardcore contrarians.
    "Fuck you, Yarny."

Zython on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Oh, you were drafted?

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

Oh, you were drafted?

No, but neither was Gen X.

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular

Oh, you were drafted?

Well, at least Gen X had Grenada and the Gulf War.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Nemrex wrote: »

old.jpg

They've been doing this a bit, but to be fair, they are slowly becoming old men.

• Options
    Durkhanus wrote: »

Oh, you were drafted?

And Millenials had Iraq and Afghanistan. Maybe you heard of them.

I really don't get why people are this upset at me pointing out historical context as to why Gen X really isn't in a position to look down on Millenials? Especially when a ton of people here look down on Boomers for similar reasons.

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular

Oh, you were drafted?

I really don't get why people are this upset at me pointing out historical context as to why Gen X really isn't in a position to look down on Millenials? Especially when a ton of people here look down on Boomers for similar reasons.

*woosh*

• Options

Oh, you were drafted?

I'm really struggling with where to even begin, and how to even go about this in good faith.

So perhaps it's best I just don't.

• Options
    edited May 2016

Oh, you were drafted?

*woosh*

I got you were making fun of my pointing out that Boomers fought in Vietnam (for some reason). Just didn't get how this related to Tube's claim that Millenials never knew suffering because the draft wasn't around.

Oh, you were drafted?

I'm really struggling with where to even begin, and how to even go about this in good faith.

You could start by explaining what I got factually incorrect? So far, no one has pointed anything out.

Zython on
  • Options
    WhelmedWhelmed Registered User regular
    I guess I was more saying that every generation has had its way of telling the generation before it What The Shit Is Really Going On, and for the Boomers it was burning whatever of their parent's stuff they could find that didn't fit utopia, for Gen X it was Breakfast Club letters about what individuality really means and why they are the first ones to ever unleash it, and for Millennials it is taking every single thing they encounter and putting it through the chipper-shredder of social responsibility and presenting it back to you accusingly. They're all gyrations of the same rituals, which is being Real while others are being False.

And every generation has also had its way of telling the generation after it why they are the absolute worst, and for Boomers it was open letters to Gen X about how Boomers had ideals and Gen X has catchphrases, for Gen X it's open letters to Millennials about their easy lives and low attention spans, and for Millennials it will probably be open letters about how their kids spend too much time in virtual reality and not enough time solving real world problems.

The belief in our absolute generational superiority is the only connective tissue that truly ties us together. And that statement, in itself, is such a perfect encapsulation of my Gen X cynicism that my parents and my children would never agree!

• Options

Oh, you were drafted?

*woosh*

I got you were making fun of my pointing out that Boomers fought in Vietnam (for some reason). Just didn't get how this related to Tube's claim that Millenials never knew suffering because the draft wasn't around.

Oh, you were drafted?

You could start by explaining what I got factually incorrect? So far, no one has pointed anything out.

Well, first, I find your proposition that Millennials have bore the brunt of a historic economic downturn, and war to be preposterous.

Millennials might be coming of age during an era of slim economic opportunity, but to say they've uniquely suffered the worst is nonsense. Millennials haven't lost their houses, their retirement, their middle class income which they were using to support a family. Millennials have no responsibilities or obligations, nothing to lose, and by and large are pushing the burden of adulthood onto their parents if statistics on how many of them still live at home into their 20's and 30's are to be believed.

As for the wars, I think others have already points out that's a wash. There is nothing uniquely burdensome about the wars an incredibly tiny minority of Millennials are fighting compared to the wars a tiny minority of Gen Xers were involved in.