As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Would I be better off getting a monitor?

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
I've got an extended stay at a hotel room and some time off coming up. I have a Surface Pro and would like to play some Stellaris with my free time. However the game text is tough to read on the tablet's small screen. And while I can connect it to the room's TV the television cuts off the edges of the image making the game unplayable. I've fiddled with video settings on both the tablet and the TV but with no luck.

Getting a monitor sounds like a waste of money if it weren't for the fact that my wife and I have just purchased a home and I will finally have room for a larger desk and two screens. So my intention would be to use the monitor during my free time and mail it back home before traveling back.

My only concern is that I might run in to the same problem. Is it something likely to happen or is cutting the edges more the result of using an older LCD TV?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Sounds like an issue with the older LCD tv screwing with the aspect ratios.
    Do you have any ability to play with that?

In any case, more monitors are never a bad idea. Though if you buy it from a store, maybe bring your tablet and test it on a floor model before buying.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    How long is your stay? And do you travel often?

Because portable monitors are 100% a thing.

Otherwise, you can definitely just buy a monitor for the long term and take it back home with you. You don't even have to ship it - just keep the box and packing materials it comes in, and then re-pack it with your bags on the return trip.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I took an old spare 24" monitor and put a cheap wall mount arm on it so that it instead functions as a collapsible kickstand. The whole mess fits in my luggage just fine so I can play my PS4 on the go.

If you wanna get fancy there are carrying cases made specifically for lugging a screen around if you don't wanna mess with just using the OG box.

Your Surface Pro should work totally fine on a regular ole monitor (I have a Pro 4 and used to have a Pro 1). Chances are the hotel TV was just at a weird ratio.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    @Quid, it should be near PCS season, so its possible people are going to get rid of a bunch of stuff. Check Craigslist or see if there is another similar site for something used. Might be kind of a pain to bring back the monitor. Not sure what your luggage situation is.
    Also didn't know you guys got a house! Congrats!

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm not really interested in a portable monitor since most trips aren't this long. And I tried fiddling with the TV's settings too but with no luck.

I think I'll go with see's suggestion and take my tablet to a nearby department store and see how it shakes out.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    What brand of TV is it? Some TVs have some obscure overscan settings for example my Samsungs you need to change the input label from HDMI to HDMI/PC.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I have an absurdly large 27 inch monitor in my room now that works just fine and will probably raise some housekeepers' eyebrows. Problem solved.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I have an absurdly large 27 inch monitor in my room now that works just fine and will probably raise some housekeepers' eyebrows. Problem solved.
    That is probably one of the most innocuous things a housekeeper will see in their Lovecraftian job.

wWuzwvJ.png