As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Grand Unified Thread for [Game of Thrones] (Book spoiler guidelines in OP)

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Tonight BWB (books):
    Unless they change something, Beric is around so no Lady Stoneheart right?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    OK, that said, I of course watched said episode and have Thoughts.
    I'm not entirely clear on why the Hound killed those first four men. They weren't part of the bandits that killed the sept that I recall, were they?
    the bald dude was in the group that rode up to the sept I think.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Tonight BWB (books):

Yes. That ship has sailed for Essos

And you know what?

Beyond the arya/Tully disappointment. They teased the above spoiler and the tower of joy with no resolution either. It's been a shit season.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    I wonder what the Waif's beef is anyway.

She basically hates Arya for no reason.

I always read it was she was jealous of jaqens attention to arya and perhaps special treatment of her

For an organization that is apparently founded upon giving up your identity, jealousy just seems weird. "I'm no one but you're treating that no one differently than me!" *shrug*

Show:
    So Arya's plot line was just as stupid as it appeared. Contrasted with the hyper lethality of the Hound's scenes in the same episode it was just a ridiculous tonal shift to have Arya performing parkour with a huge gut wound that bothered her after a bad tumble but then ceased to bother her as soon as they decided it was time for a tonal shift. While the ending scene was alright there is no reason why that couldn't have been how the waif finds her originally.

Felt they kinda stepped on the Riverrun resolution by making it about Cersei. ShowJamie is in a different place but I just didn't find his threats intimidating as the book version.

Book:
    Treat the dude who was being kept as an animal like a noble as he's accustomed to, then give him back his castle and then point out you're going to send his loyal vassals up his walls so his men will know the people they're killing. Then if you manage to hold I'll fling your kid in with a trebuchet. *shrug* Giving Edmure what he's always wanted (to be in charge) and then pointing out the situation is going to suck and he's going to be remembered as a failure any way it goes down, just seems to play better to me.

Hound is alright even if they seem to be missing the point of a spiritual conversion by Murder Time Murderfest.

That was the most weak ass faith bunch of religious fanatics ever to try and arrest Cersei. Wusses. Y'all never get to the seven heavens being punks.

I love how they totally reverse the whole point of trial by combat. The idea is you're praying that the Seven take a direct hand in it and so it is the most holy sort of trial. This is just rhetoric and I don't really object to it. It's not like BerniePope is gonna argue the theology on this.

Absolutely no idea why Brienne had to sneak away. Just none. She was there like 12 hours. Jamie just says "Yes, let her go as she hasn't taken arms up against the crown."

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    s6e8
    As I predicted, Arya's survival and rapid convalescence ended up simply not making sense. There was no grand mystery or reveal -- just unrealistic plotting. That said, I thought the candle trick was clever enough and her last line was sufficiently badass. I am sad the writers thought they needed to kill Lady Crane in order to remind us once again that the waif is a menacing figure.

I was hoping that the episode would end with Drogon burninating the entire harpy fleet, but apparently the showrunners believe that the audience cares enough about Meereen to make the siege part of their penultimate episode set piece.

I'm unclear if Olenna Tyrell made it out of King's Landing, but I hope she did because it's become abundantly clear that Cersei is going to burn that motherfucker to the ground.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I will say almost every moment Sandor Clegane is onscreen in this whole series is basically gold

override367 on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    OK, that said, I of course watched said episode and have Thoughts.
    Arya's scene last episode was played straight. Called it. People are trying *waaaaay* too hard looking for theories and twists. The kind of twists we are going to get is "Cersei assumes the younger brother in the prophecy is Tyrion, but it's actually Jaime, who was her twin but born a few minutes after." Not "And then Bran warged Euron, who is a faceless man, to wear Dany's face and ride the dragon into battle against the White Walkers, led by Syrio, who is actually the Night's King."

OK, that said, I'm not in love with how Arya's story was handled the last few episodes. Arya wasn't exactly a parquor expert *before* she was running around with a deep gut-stab wound. We can argue forever about whether this was what Jaqen planned all along. I don't think so. I think he sent the Waif to kill Arya, then was surprised that Arya got the drop on him, and defaulted to an enigmatic smile. "Ummm, it was all a test and you passed! So don't stab me."

The writing this season is definitely different. I don't think that's bad. Martin's writing isn't always perfect and some of it just isn't as cool on-screen as it is on paper. The scene where they sit around telling jokes is something we never would have seen in the books. Tyrion's joke would have taken three pages. But we also wouldn't have gotten Grey Worm's revelation that of course he knows jokes, he was just playing it straight, which I found really charming. But I expect a lot of complaints about scenes like that.

I'm not entirely clear on why the Hound killed those first four men. They weren't part of the bandits that killed the sept that I recall, were they?

The panning shot of Mereen under attack was one of the my favorites of the series.
    He's following their trail. He kills them because he assumed that they were part of the group. He doesn't need to know if it was true. Good episode, I thought.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Tonight BWB (books):
    Correct. Be weird to bring Sandor back to pal around with a character no one ever really cared about on the show though.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I sorta liked tonights episode, but it wasnt one of the stronger ones this season. Probably the worst so far this season. I am glad, however
    They put a bow on the Arya/Faceless Men storyline, however ugly that bow was. Kind of overstayed its welcome just so Arya could have a life affirming moment and bring herself back into being a Stark, which I guess was the point.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    tonight
    was that terminator 2 i just watched?

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    show Arya
    If will have all been worth it if she assassinates Ramsay Bolton

• Options
    Hachface wrote: »
    s6e8
    As I predicted, Arya's survival and rapid convalescence ended up simply not making sense. There was no grand mystery or reveal -- just unrealistic plotting. That said, I thought the candle trick was clever enough and her last line was sufficiently badass. I am sad the writers thought they needed to kill Lady Crane in order to remind us once again that the waif is a menacing figure.

I was hoping that the episode would end with Drogon burninating the entire harpy fleet, but apparently the showrunners believe that the audience cares enough about Meereen to make the siege part of their penultimate episode set piece.

I'm unclear if Olenna Tyrell made it out of King's Landing, but I hope she did because it's become abundantly clear that Cersei is going to burn that motherfucker to the ground.
    Pretty sure (and the preview agreed) that the penultimate episode is Ramsay finally dying. But being an obnoxious, boring jackass for a full hour before Jon kills him. And if he costs us say, Tormund in the process, he will be TV's worst character.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Please George, get TWOW done so I can read the book version of Ayra's plot line.

I've given up hope for book 7 but don't take this away from us.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Ep 8, Arya stuff:
    Chase scene:
    Arya wasn't bothered by her gut wound, it wasn't bleeding.

The whole point of that tumbling down the stairs scene was that it allowed her to use the fruit to make it appear as if she was bleeding.

She then led the waif to where needle was and she stood a better chance of killing her.

It was meant to show Arya using the faceless man craft she had learned.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Jaime
    is a piece of crap again I guess. When will he find out about Lancel? At least Nikolaj is a good enough actor you can kind of infer that he doesn't always really believe it when he spouts off about how he loves cersei so much.

• Options
    s6e8

Pretty sure (and the preview agreed) that the penultimate episode is Ramsay finally dying. But being an obnoxious, boring jackass for a full hour before Jon kills him. And if he costs us say, Tormund in the process, he will be TV's worst character.
    Calling it now: siege of Winterfell will be a failure. Ramsay will live to be a shitty character for at least one more episode.

• Options
    Ep 8, Arya stuff:
    Chase scene:

The whole point of that tumbling down the stairs scene was that it allowed her to use the fruit to make it appear as if she was bleeding.

She then led the waif to where needle was and she stood a better chance of killing her.

Also her mutant healing factor.

• Options
    The saddest part of Show Ramsay is that it's an utter waste of Iwan Rheon's talents.

• Options
    Tonight (books):
    *oils up a crossbow for Varys*
    Need to do a better job setting up Kevan as competent and getting things working properly for Varys' motivation to make sense.

• Options
    Ep 8, Arya stuff:
    Chase scene:

There's some ambiguity there to how long she was asleep due to Milk of the Poppy

• Options
    AgentBryantAgentBryant CTRegistered User regular
    Best part of the episode was
    the Dornishman picking out the fly and eating it. The rest was hugely disappointing.

• Options
    the Dornishman picking out the fly and eating it. The rest was hugely disappointing.

I straight up did not understand the Stark part of the joke.

• Options
    Ep eight
    well that river run shit was anticlimactic wasn't it

• Options

I straight up did not understand the Stark part of the joke.
    Implication that the fly had drunk the wine

• Options
    Ep 8, Arya stuff:
    Chase scene:

There's some ambiguity there to how long she was asleep due to Milk of the Poppy

Not helping.
    Let's list the people Arya knows in Braavos:
    1. Kindly Man
    2. Waif
    3. That actress she didn't murder that make 1 and 2 want to kill her.

If it was more than the day or so it appeared the waif has to (again) be completely inept to not check out the place of the only other person Arya knows. Really a day is stupid for her to not have found her in but some allowances for drama are allowable to me.
    Tonight (books):
    *oils up a crossbow for Varys*
    Need to do a better job setting up Kevan as competent and getting things working properly for Varys' motivation to make sense.

I'm actually split on this:
    They're doing that POV thing and from Cersei's POV some of this stuff is just inexplicable because she's being shut out. I'd be more inclined to really bet on this if they hadn't just massively disappointed me on the Arya thing.

One thing is for sure though, ShowCersei is coming off like a thousand times better than BookCersei.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Ep 8, Arya stuff:
    Chase scene:

Not helping.
    1. Kindly Man
    2. Waif

If it was more than the day or so it appeared the waif has to (again) be completely inept to not check out the place of the only other person Arya knows. Really a day is stupid for her to not have found her in but some allowances for drama are allowable to me.
    I just assume the woman had literal magical healing powers or something. last time she got for real stabbed in the gut and hollywooded to not dying, and this ep she got totally healed and now it was a trick.

• Options
    Ep 8, Arya stuff:
    Chase scene:

Not helping.
    1. Kindly Man
    2. Waif

What's weird is that in the previous episode they made it look like the waif had given Arya up for dead, otherwise why didn't she chase down Arya and kill her while she was stumbling around the streets. She surely knows Bravos better than Arya does, but can't go chase down where Arya would've exited the canal and check she didn't survive?

Then all of a sudden in this episode she's found her again, though why would she be looking for her if she thought she was dead? Unless it was meant to be coincidence that she came to kill the person that should've been killed and then, oh shit Arya is here. I need to finish that job too.

There's some sloppiness there.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I think this was the weakest ep of the season apart from Mr. Hound

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Ugh, this episode was terrible, as this season has been in general. I used to look forward to Sunday nights, but now I find myself struggling to get the show turned on promptly at airtime. I mean, I find myself thinking about just stopping watching altogether, but I've invested too much to stop this close to the end.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    This season has been terrible?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I think this was the weakest ep of the season apart from Mr. Hound
    I wish I had a disagree button. I liked this episode very much.

• Options
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Ugh, this episode was terrible, as this season has been in general. I used to look forward to Sunday nights, but now I find myself struggling to get the show turned on promptly at airtime. I mean, I find myself thinking about just stopping watching altogether, but I've invested too much to stop this close to the end.

I think is the best season yet, notwithstanding this weak episode.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Simpsonia wrote: »

I think is the best season yet, notwithstanding this weak episode.

Its up there, it absolutely is.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Ep 8, Arya stuff:
    Chase scene:

Not helping.
    1. Kindly Man
    2. Waif

What's weird is that in the previous episode they made it look like the waif had given Arya up for dead, otherwise why didn't she chase down Arya and kill her while she was stumbling around the streets. She surely knows Bravos better than Arya does, but can't go chase down where Arya would've exited the canal and check she didn't survive?

Then all of a sudden in this episode she's found her again, though why would she be looking for her if she thought she was dead? Unless it was meant to be coincidence that she came to kill the person that should've been killed and then, oh shit Arya is here. I need to finish that job too.

Waif
    There's lots of bits about the storyline that seem like they were done for effect but don't hold up well upon reflection. It feels a bit like The Dark Knight Rises.

I do kind of get the impression that the Waif is overconfident in her abilities so I can kind of see assuming Arya would be dead. She's certainly not calm and calculating the way Jaqen is.

I'll rewatch the scene at some point again with a friend who's behind on episodes and plans to watch what I've recorded so I can better analyze things.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Eric Dormers voice is sexual chocolate. I could listen to him read a corporate mission statement and then a technical manual for drying paint and never lose interest.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    So I'm thinking now Arya
    was being sloppy and visible last episode on purpose, to double check if she was indeed being pursued and if so to draw out the pursuit(Waif). She was probably counting on leading the waif to her hidey hole in the first place, not getting stabbed like a punk .

Alternative is she never knows if she is still being chased, years later letting her guard down, and oh hey look the Waif kills her on Winterfell.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ep 8, Arya stuff:
    Chase scene:

Not helping.
    1. Kindly Man
    2. Waif

Waif
    There's lots of bits about the storyline that seem like they were done for effect but don't hold up well upon reflection. It feels a bit like The Dark Knight Rises.

I do kind of get the impression that the Waif is overconfident in her abilities so I can kind of see assuming Arya would be dead. She's certainly not calm and calculating the way Jaqen is.

I'll rewatch the scene at some point again with a friend who's behind on episodes and plans to watch what I've recorded so I can better analyze things.

Outline wise I think this plot can work. I think the specifics they chose and how they filmed it made it far worse than it had to be.
    The action movie/horror movie switch when neither is really appropriate to how the Faceless men have been shown to work was just weird. The involvement of the actress after Arya got shanked is pure cliche. Excise those, have the heart of Arya pisses off Faceless Men, Arya misleads and traps the Waif via the skills of the Faceless Men (instead of blind luck and their incompetence) and you've got a rolicking conclusion. Bonus, it makes the end scene with Jaquen make some sort of sense with him thinking she's ready to take up the mantle as she just Faceless Man'd Waif and she instead tells him to get bent.

It just seems that the showrunners were incapable of delivering on that outline.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Ep 8, Arya stuff:
    Chase scene:

Not helping.
    1. Kindly Man
    2. Waif

Waif

Outline wise I think this plot can work. I think the specifics they chose and how they filmed it made it far worse than it had to be.
    The action movie/horror movie switch when neither is really appropriate to how the Faceless men have been shown to work was just weird. The involvement of the actress after Arya got shanked is pure cliche. Excise those, have the heart of Arya pisses off Faceless Men, Arya misleads and traps the Waif via the skills of the Faceless Men (instead of blind luck and their incompetence) and you've got a rolicking conclusion. Bonus, it makes the end scene with Jaquen make some sort of sense with him thinking she's ready to take up the mantle as she just Faceless Man'd Waif and she instead tells him to get bent.

It just seems that the showrunners were incapable of delivering on that outline.

Only... you kind of just described what happened...

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Ay yay yay.

I swear, to the old gods and the new, I want to like this show. I wish it was better than it was. But at some point I have to believe my own lying eyes.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. Loved the bronn/pod bit. I also enjoyed how things were pushed forward. I'm not in a rush to judge each episode so harshly.

This discussion has been closed.