As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Realest

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Realest

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    R.Z.R.Z. Registered User regular
    I'm admitting this in shame, but I actually bought a copy of Watch Dogs (on sale) just for the Chicago Sight-seeing.
    I ... I wanted to see if I could recognize spots that I had seen on Early Edition when I was a kid ...
    Decent game though, if I can judge by the five hours I have spent on it.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    "Hey Joe, where'd you get the idea for this person you painted?"
    "Oh, that one? That one's an actual person. Didn't have to imaginate the features at all. He just sat in front of me and let me paint. It was so easy."

• Options
    RenegadePhantomRenegadePhantom Registered User regular
    Ubisoft games have basically become sightseeing tours. They need the fidelity to cover up their terrible mission design.

• Options
    GrassHopperGrassHopper Registered User regular
    R.Z. wrote: »
    I'm admitting this in shame, but I actually bought a copy of Watch Dogs (on sale) just for the Chicago Sight-seeing.
    I ... I wanted to see if I could recognize spots that I had seen on Early Edition when I was a kid ...
    Decent game though, if I can judge by the five hours I have spent on it.

If we're being honest, I couldn't get through Infamous but I played all through Second Son just to see more of Seattle. I've only seen it from a shuttle drive through and now through the magic of video games

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I once played The Secret World and found a house that looked just like the house in Rhode Island I grew up in. Aside from the giant radioactive crater Fallout 4 doesn't look too different from how New England looks now. Especially RI. Lots of old haunted houses, vacant buildings turned into high priced condos by the few survivors of the states latest financial apocalypse and government buildings full of ghouls.

ziddersroofurry on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    As somebody who lives in the UK (and not in London), all of these places might as well be fantasy

Get a Watchdogs set in Bradford or an AssCreed in Cambridge and I might be able to have an opinion

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Fallout 3 was neat, but it sort of annoyed me that it was DC but not really DC at all.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    I'm both with and against Gabe on this. On the one hand, it's conceptually lazy. On the other hand, I do respect the work that goes into the models and textures. Games aren't (usually) high art.

• Options
    identeregareidenteregare Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, where do these game designers get off, being so derivative? With film, at least, you have to trek all the way to Toronto in order to shoot a New York street scene.

identeregare on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Yeah, where do these game designers get off, being so derivative? With film, at least, you have to trek all the way to Toronto in order to shoot a New York street scene.

That would be the best game: set in New York, but a 1:1 reproduction of Toronto

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AngryRobotAngryRobot Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Gabe, you son of a B*tch.
    "Big RED bridge?" As a bay-area local, I cannot stand for this. They call it the "Golden" Gate Bridge for a reason!
    ...because it's not gold....

AngryRobot on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Wait, you can go to RI in Fallout 4?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Yep, the entire US is in there. For Detroit they didn't really have to change anything.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    wallywest wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Yep, the entire US is in there. For Detroit they didn't really have to change anything.

You know, I've been saying for years that the problem with trying to copy the aesthetic of the first two classic games to other settings/regions is that most of the Southwest is already a barren, uninhabitable wasteland.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    "Oh, that one? That one's an actual person. Didn't have to imaginate the features at all. He just sat in front of me and let me paint. It was so easy."

Seriously. Like, this is a really weird thing for an artist to say, if this is an actual sentiment from Mike. Even simply re-creating something from life isn't easy. I mean sure, I'm less interested in running around LA than I am in running around Azeroth, but still... re-creating an entire real-life city is an effort worth a little respect.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I very much doubt it's how Mike really feels.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

Seriously. Like, this is a really weird thing for an artist to say, if this is an actual sentiment from Mike. Even simply re-creating something from life isn't easy. I mean sure, I'm less interested in running around LA than I am in running around Azeroth, but still... re-creating an entire real-life city is an effort worth a little respect.

To be fair, while making a painting or sketch look just like the real thing is *hard*, people don't usually praise such a work as a stand-out piece of art. Especially if they did it by tracing a photo. Now, using GPS data, city maps, etc, to construct a digital model is by no means as easy as tracing a photo of a person's face. But it's also not as if they are looking out their window at LA, squinting one eye, and doodling on their computer screen. They have very precise tools, I would imagine, to make the city models accurate. But from an art perspective, I would say it shows more imagination and vision to create a realistic, logical, and aesthetically appealing building, city, or world entirely from your mind.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Please note Gabe and Mike are not the same

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    also see that second guy in the third panel, saying how it might actually be hard

Mike had to draw that guy and put the words in the bubble...

(I think he might be in on the joke)