As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What kind of lizard is this?

SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
edited June 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
On phone so please excuse any typos. Coworker saw this at one of my locations, said it was trying to get into the building. Affectionateoy dubbed it "Godzilla". Shared a picture.

I don't know much about lizards, but I don't think this is native (we're in a large city in Oregon), is this nature or is some kid missing a pet?
h0VHztk.jpg

Thanks.

SmokeStacks on

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    That looks like it could be a part of the Pogona family of lizards, aka "Bearded Dragons".

If that is the case, its not likely a native of Oregon and has either escaped from pet store or a family.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Bearded dragons yay!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Thirding "Bearded Dragon".
    Hopefully an escaped pet, but I wouldn't put it past some people to have dumped it.

If it's still around, may want to try and catch it and put up some "Found your lizard" signs. According to Wikipedia, they originate from central Australia, so I'm guessing Ohio isn't exactly it's ideal environment.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Definitely a bearded dragon. Definitely an escaped pet.

They're usually pretty docile, but I've been bitten pretty hard by beardies in the past, so wear gloves before you grab it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Australian here

That is a bearded dragon fo sho

I have grabbed zillions of them - when in highschool I inevitably got called upon to remove them from the playground so the other kids wouldn't throw things at them (or kill them :(). They can run really fast but tend not to if you get the drop on them. Grab them behind their head and sit them on your forearm, holding behind their head from below with the holding arm and they will fairly happily chill out on your arm to carry them around.

He/she will probably puff up, open mouth and hiss when you approach. As long as you grab him from behind that doesn't matter though. I have never been bitten by one because despite their appearances of being a bad ass they are really pretty derpy.

It's an unusually light one - even though they can and do change colour - so is probably a central Australian subspecies. It may also interest you to know that while they are related to frilled neck lizards they are not them (and it always annoys me when people call them frill necks!).

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    If a bearded dragon wants into your work building, by god you let it in and call him the office mascot.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Also, don't grab him/her by the tail. While they can't drop them like skinks you can potentially injure them AND they can whip around and bite you for your insolence.

You can maybe tell if it is a boy lizard or a girl lizard by its head shape - males tend to have broader more triangular skulls than the females - but you need to have a basis for comparison there, I guess.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I love that picture

'nice storefront you have here. .... can I come in?'

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    They said that when they came around to check him out he took off, so no office lizard today unfortunately. It's summer so it's not like he'd have to worry much about weather, but there are a lot of cats and birds in that neighborhood so hopefully whoever lost him can find him again.

Still no ads in the lost/found section on craigslist, I'm going to keep an eye out though.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Also, don't grab him/her by the tail. While they can't drop them like skinks you can potentially injure them AND they can whip around and bite you for your insolence.

You can maybe tell if it is a boy lizard or a girl lizard by its head shape - males tend to have broader more triangular skulls than the females - but you need to have a basis for comparison there, I guess.

Listen to Apothe0sis.

I have been bitten by all manner of nonvenomous reptiles, and one of the top three in terms of "ow fuck" was a full-grown bearded dragon that didn't like my cheek.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    That beardie looks kind of grumpy

Maybe direct him to the complaint department

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    That beardie looks kind of grumpy

Maybe direct him to the complaint department

He is the complaint the department!

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Look man, that dragon just needs about tree fiddy to get his shit together so get him a heat lamp and a 30 gallon aquarium and help him out.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    It's actually a Disney Animated Alligator. He just lost his job and home and tossed out on his ass cause of something a different alligator did. Be gentle.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    He's so grumpy.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    He looks older too, that's a well developed beard on him.

I love scritching my friend's bearded's "beard" they feel like a koosh ball, downside is once I start I have to do it for like an hour or he gets mad.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508