As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Every [presidential election] is funny, as long as it's happening to somebody else

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Also, Christ, I really need to stop going to /r/politics, but I can't stop myself, keep hoping it'll be better today.

Reddit will never be better ever again. Its community is entrenched and is not going anywhere. It's stormfront junior.

Also almost definitely infiltrated by paid Russian trolls. Guy who wrote that has been saying that most of the accounts he wrote about there are now Trump supporters.

Jesus that is terrifying

It sounds like the start of a cyberpunk dystopia D:

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

That's a monumental amount of trust he's putting into his state and IMHO is like reaching into a snake's nest for a quarter.

Presumably he will be the delegate to make the motion.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    GOP talking point of the day seems to be "No one said ISIS!"

That's comically pathetic. "We don't disagree with anything that was said! BUT NO ONE SPOKE ABOUT ISIS, TRAITORS!"

i wonder if its ever occurred to them to listen to what the Dems are actually saying, rather than focusing so much on what they're not saying.

GOP - "They wont say Radical Islamic Terrorism!"

everyone else - "They spoke about unity, hope and a better tomorr..."

GOP - "THEY DIDN'T SAY ISIS!!!"

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    htm wrote: »

Not sure that is the right reaction

The ramifications of this are honestly pretty unsettling

A long time ago in college, probably 2011, I was a senior and I was chatting with an underclassmen at some poli sci scholarship event. He was adamant that change, REAL change, would come because of Wikileaks. Wikileaks was going to be the savior of corrupt politics. Wikileaks was going to reveal the darkness. Sunlight is the best disinfectant. Julian Assange is a hero.

I don't remember anything else about that night, not the name of the scholarship, or his name, anything else. But I did remember this kid's adamant support of Wikileaks and feeling skeptical and a little afraid. I didn't realize then that Wikileaks would become a tool of the fucking Russian Government. It was a little unfathomable at the time that this douche (who i mostly disliked for being a fucking rapist) who preached openness and transparency for the good of the world would have probably the least open and transparent agenda in service of a strongman-ruled nation whose institutions breed corruption, insularity, secrecy, and oligarchy.

Anyway, I wish I could remember that kid's name so I could find him on facebook and verbally slap him in the fucking face, because I never forgot

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Landmark/Rosetta is a polling firm I know nothing about and their choice to include decimals makes me skeptical, but they have Trump up by a point and a half in Georgia. (Autoplay video on link)

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I want to give people leeway but calling yourself a "bernie" or "bernies" when you're no longer doing what he wants you to do is bullshit

I don't see from that article that they are calling themselves that?

My understanding is that label is being attached to them by people who want to keep attacking Bernie in spite of his endorsement.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    It's a particularly goofy strategy considering the number of speakers that got on stage and called the Republican nominee a liar, a thief, and a cheat. I guess their strategy is not to combat that attack at all because they are afraid of giving it legitimacy? I don't think that's a good idea when this point is going to be driven home for the next 3 months.

Of course it does help Dems that it's 100% the truth.

Roz on
  • Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

That's comically pathetic. "We don't disagree with anything that was said! BUT NO ONE SPOKE ABOUT ISIS, TRAITORS!"

i wonder if its ever occurred to them to listen to what the Dems are actually saying, rather than focusing so much on what they're not saying.

It is true that they basically didn't talk about terrorism as an issue either (except obliquely with references to Orlando but those were mostly focused on the victims). But it was Bernie's night and Bernie was not really a foreign policy candidate.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

That's a monumental amount of trust he's putting into his state and IMHO is like reaching into a snake's nest for a quarter.

Presumably he will be the delegate to make the motion.

I'm sure he will. I'm also sure that this just takes one asshole to blow the whole thing up.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

I'm honestly baffled about why I should give a single fuck about what the GOP thinks about what's happening at the DNC. I know they've gotta comment on it to work their base up into a frothy rage, but it's a bit like hearing a celebrity talk about their favorite sports team to me. I just can't possibly care.

• Options

It is true that they basically didn't talk about terrorism as an issue either (except obliquely with references to Orlando but those were mostly focused on the victims). But it was Bernie's night and Bernie was not really a foreign policy candidate.

its the first day of a 4 day convention. not everything is going to get covered on the first night. i'm sure there will be mentions of terrorism and ISIS, hell i'd expect them both to be brought up in Hillary's speech alone.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    My wife, mother-in-law-and I watched Michelle's speech again today 'cause it's so good. It's apparent Michelle the kind of smart where she is 5 moves ahead of everyone else yet simultaneously living in the moment. Her and Barack's dinner table conversations must be like intellectual ambrosia.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

The Republican response, including from people like Reince Priebus, is to either act like the good possibility of it being done by Russia is just a completely crazy conspiracy theory or to try to ignore it as if it is just a minor issue and not what really matters. This is fucking horrifying.

Couscous on
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    More perspective on the Berner Busters:

This fits with my recollections of 2008. Then, I started out in nominally in favor of Hillary, but Obama won me over at some point before the convention. Things got really ugly towards the end.

• Options

a little something to get folks hyped up for tonight.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Also, Christ, I really need to stop going to /r/politics, but I can't stop myself, keep hoping it'll be better today.

Reddit will never be better ever again. Its community is entrenched and is not going anywhere. It's stormfront junior.

Also almost definitely infiltrated by paid Russian trolls. Guy who wrote that has been saying that most of the accounts he wrote about there are now Trump supporters.

What the fuck?

Someone call the Ita. It is time.

Also, everyone should read Anathem so I can reference it more explicitly without spoilers.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options

This fits with my recollections of 2008. Then, I started out in nominally in favor of Hillary, but Obama won me over at some point before the convention. Things got really ugly towards the end.

I think Hillary's campaign was worse, but Hillary had more control over her delegates on the first day. But honestly I don't remember.

• Options
    Landmark/Rosetta is a polling firm I know nothing about and their choice to include decimals makes me skeptical, but they have Trump up by a point and a half in Georgia. (Autoplay video on link)

If Trump is only up a point in GA, then the GOP is fucked. Romney won there by over 5 points in 2012.

• Options

This is really well put together.

• Options

If Trump is only up a point in GA, then the GOP is fucked. Romney won there by over 5 points in 2012.

It was 8, McCain won by 5.

• Options
    edited July 2016

This is really well put together.

they've been doing a tremendous job with the videos and ads they've been putting out. its amazing just how good at this they are.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Can we get Michelle Obama a cabinet post where she just tells off Republicans

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

The hillary though got started faster on the healing process once the nominee was made clear. Bernie held off a lot longer past the time there was no feasible way for him to get it. That few extra months I fear will be what gets us president trump.

• Options
    cubantypercubantyper Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Seconding this, also because I've worked with the guys who run Landmark/Rosetta many moons ago. Mark and Steve are generally decent, but they're a right wing consulting/polling outfit.

cubantyper on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Crayon wrote: »
    After seeing more of those California delegates booing Sanders again, upper middle class is the growing segment in my mind that I like the least as a whole. Too much money to care about what's below, and not enough money to keep grabbing at the above.

Hey, my mom is part of the upper--

Yeah, that sounds about right.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

Sharing the hell out of this. It seems to perfectly encapsulate the message from Day 1.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I'm definitely ready to get more hyped about Hillary tonight, because last night was dominated by the reminder that I am going to cry a lot when the Obamas leave.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Upper middle describes my boss and my parents, who yeah, definitely seem to have lost sympathy for The Poors

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Upper middle describes my boss and my parents, who yeah, definitely seem to have lost sympathy for The Poors

Well at least they had it at one point. My Trump-lovin' dad never had it to begin with.

• Options
    edited July 2016

At one level, it's the same old international great game BS that the world's powers have always played. The US engages in similar shenanigans, too, and this is pretty trivial stuff.

At another level, I'm disappointed that the DNC email server could be hacked. It's 2016. Securing an email server isn't rocket surgery. Political institutions ought to be better at stuff like that.

At level #3, I'm surprised the Russians were amateur enough to get caught in a way that's traceable.

And at the weird and frightening level, I'm kind of agog that the GOP (the US political party that thinks of itself as the "daddy" party on foreign policy issues, and who are, in their own minds, anti-communist legends) has been almost completely dismissive of the whole affair. I mean... it's kind of hard to overstate how much "Russia == bad" has, more than anything, been the ideological bedrock of the GOP since the end of WW2. So they've sold out their first, most important principle for... Trump? I don't like them, but I thought they were better than that. In fact, it scares the shit out of me that they're not better than that.

htm on
  • Options

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It's sad that the GOP is perfectly fine being a tool for a foreign government as long as the democrats don't win. Like way to be for america guys.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    My mom lost sympathy for the poors 30 seconds after she stopped being a poor.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

That's gotta be a record, have you called Guinness?

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    It's sad that the GOP is perfectly fine being a tool for a foreign government as long as the democrats don't win. Like way to be for america guys.

This is the party that is penny pinching when it comes to social security, medicaid, infrastructure, education, and generally all the things that are important for America in general, but is magnanimous when dealing with large corporations, military spending and tax cuts for the wealthy.

I mean, I'm from America Jr. so a bit of an outsider here, but I don't think the GOP policies been "for america" for quite a while, except when it comes to buying American flags, American flagpins, and chanting U-S-A very loudly.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Lovely Day

This is all news to me, worse still, I'm having trouble phrasing this to physical peers in a way that doesn't make me sound crazy...

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Pulled the ladder up so fast it gave her friction burns.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I'm having trouble phrasing this to physical peers in a way that doesn't make me sound crazy...

Possibly the best summary of this election.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Can we get Michelle Obama a cabinet post where she just tells off Republicans

Secretary of "Oh shit, son! You just got told!"

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016

TL DR, 7/22: i can't help but wonder to what degree Putin has been playing a role in the recent chaos vis a vis Brexit and Trump/Hillary

Daniel:whoa
    there's a messy thought
    shit

TL DR:there has been speculation about Wikileaks having Rus connections, largely speculative and due to Snowden's asylum there, buuuuuuuut
    yeah, messy is a good descriptor
    pokemon it is, then

Daniel:yes, it's much simpler now
    TL DR, 7/25: Happy Monday
    http://motherboard.vice.com/read/all-signs-point-to-russia-being-behind-the-dnc-hack

Daniel:It's been nice knowing ya, comrade
    lol bro what is even going on tho
    this shit is starting to remind me of pre-Neuromancer meets the world of Ender's Game
    Or just wal mart

TL DR: I, for one, welcome our anarchocapitalist overlords. Long may they Job Create.

Daniel: Hail!
    Are we finally gonna find out who John Galt is?

TL DR on
This discussion has been closed.