As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Every [presidential election] is funny, as long as it's happening to somebody else

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Secretary of Fire

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    htm wrote: »
    Orphane wrote: »

Not sure that is the right reaction

The ramifications of this are honestly pretty unsettling

At one level, it's the same old international great game BS that the world's powers have always played. The US engages in similar shenanigans, too, and this is pretty trivial stuff.

At another level, I'm disappointed that the DNC email server could be hacked. It's 2016. Securing an email server isn't rocket surgery. Political institutions ought to be better at stuff like that.

At level #3, I'm surprised the Russians were amateur enough to get caught in a way that's traceable.

And at the weird and frightening level, I'm kind of agog that the GOP (the US political party that thinks of itself as the "daddy" party on foreign policy issues, and who are, in their own minds, anti-communist legends) has been almost completely dismissive of the whole affair. I mean... it's kind of hard to overstate how much "Russia == bad" has, more than anything, been the ideological bedrock of the GOP since the end of WW2. So they've sold out their first, most important principle for... Trump? I don't like them, but I thought they were better than that. In fact, it scares the shit out of me that they're not better than that.

Just takes one person to click on the wrong link in an email. And sometimes the spearfishing attempts are pretty convincing. I've seen ones to "Dropbox" that looked almost genuine.

• Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/dnc-leak-shows-mechanics-of-a-slanted-campaign-w430814

I can't help but think this DNC issue may cost her the election. It has all of the talking points that will either disillusion or turn away voters.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Nobody cares about it unless they were already deeply in the tank for Trump, Stein or Johnson

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    southwick wrote: »
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/dnc-leak-shows-mechanics-of-a-slanted-campaign-w430814

I can't help but think this DNC issue may cost her the election. It has all of the talking points that will either disillusion or turn away voters.

Who knows, we'd have to wait for some solid polling before making conclusions like that. That article mirrors my feelings and I'm still voting D, so it could mean nothing - electorally.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

The Clinton campaign argument in the email sounded like they were saying the DNC should defend themselves because the attack from the Sanders camp impugned the DNC rather than being purely between the candidates, comparing it to the RNC defending itself from Trump accusations that impugned the RNC. I get the arguments for other stuff in the emails being inappropriate, but saying they shouldn't have responded is basically saying the DNC shouldn't be able to defend themselves at all from accusations against them. The Clinton campaign doesn't appear to have been saying to defend them because the DNC works for the Clinton campaign or anything like that in the email.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean I admit I thought most of the email shit has been nothing burgers but the greatest scandal out of this one has been the obvious russian political maneuvering.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    More perspective on the Berner Busters:

This fits with my recollections of 2008. Then, I started out in nominally in favor of Hillary, but Obama won me over at some point before the convention. Things got really ugly towards the end.

I think Hillary's campaign was worse, but Hillary had more control over her delegates on the first day. But honestly I don't remember.

The campaign was worse on both sides, but ultimately Hillary was in control of the delegations. There was also more time for healing and reflection before the convention. There was a huge concern that there would be ruckus on the floor, but it didn't really materialize. There were a few jeers and shouts, but nothing sustained or close to last night.

Like 2008 went into crazy territory at some points. One time Hillary insinuated that she was staying in the race in case Obama was assassinated. Or that weird "I was under fire in Bosnia" story. The Clinton campaign went hard after Obama on Jeremiah Wright and Bill Ayers. Barack himself isn't without blame either. There was some pseudo sexiest things that got trotted out, and in particular the line "I can't tell if I'm running against you or your husband" was kind of uncalled for.

Ultimately though, we got past it. I hope that this too, shall pass.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah I mean I admit I thought most of the email shit has been nothing burgers but the greatest scandal out of this one has been the obvious russian political maneuvering.

Which in my experience so far, many shrug it off as the DNC deflecting.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »

See that's crazy. The emails don't really tell us anything we already didn't really know? But the fact that russia is clearly interfering in our elections using cyber crime should be more than a "well its a deflection."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Also, Christ, I really need to stop going to /r/politics, but I can't stop myself, keep hoping it'll be better today.

Reddit will never be better ever again. Its community is entrenched and is not going anywhere. It's stormfront junior.

Also almost definitely infiltrated by paid Russian trolls. Guy who wrote that has been saying that most of the accounts he wrote about there are now Trump supporters.

Jesus that is terrifying

It sounds like the start of a cyberpunk dystopia D:

Dude, we're well into a cyber punk dystopia. It's just that no one noticed it happening.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »

DNC doesn't do apparently goosey things, and the hacks mean nothing. The Russian angle is scary, and potentially has legs, but it doesn't take away from the narrative that the emails perpetuate.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Knew it would be Taibbi before I even opened it. I find his reading on the stuff he's quoted as slanted as usual.

• Options
    Obviously I was in the Clinton camp, but even trying to think of it as a neutral observer that article is whatever. It's a legal fundraising construction that funnels money back into the DNC for use wherever they desire. You may disagree on if it should be legal or not, but that's not relevant to the current election.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Keeping it 1600 has a midweek pod out today where they cover the pollercoaster at the top. Might be relevant to people freaking out about 538, CNN, et.al.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    reposting this here cuz shaun king is super pro bernie and wrote this and i guess it makes me glad people are not all dinguses http://www.nydailynews.com/news/election/king-stop-donald-trump-voting-hillary-clinton-article-1.2726614

poo
  • Options

At one level, it's the same old international great game BS that the world's powers have always played. The US engages in similar shenanigans, too, and this is pretty trivial stuff.

At another level, I'm disappointed that the DNC email server could be hacked. It's 2016. Securing an email server isn't rocket surgery. Political institutions ought to be better at stuff like that.

At level #3, I'm surprised the Russians were amateur enough to get caught in a way that's traceable.

And at the weird and frightening level, I'm kind of agog that the GOP (the US political party that thinks of itself as the "daddy" party on foreign policy issues, and who are, in their own minds, anti-communist legends) has been almost completely dismissive of the whole affair. I mean... it's kind of hard to overstate how much "Russia == bad" has, more than anything, been the ideological bedrock of the GOP since the end of WW2. So they've sold out their first, most important principle for... Trump? I don't like them, but I thought they were better than that. In fact, it scares the shit out of me that they're not better than that.

I don't want to get too off-topic, but the bolded is just unfair. I work in the cyber security field, and security is hard. Like really really hard. Securing a network and infrastructure is difficult even for large multi-national corporations with millions dedicated to security. Target got hacked and they probably have 100X the capital/operational expenditure that the DNC has specifically preventing these types of breaches. It wouldn't surprise me if the email server and many pieces of their infrastructure were setup by unpaid volunteers.

Even a well developed SOC and security posture can be vulnerable to threats, zero-days, or well designed phishing emails. And that's just from common criminals. State actors, especially those engaged in cyber espionage, are usually some of the most well-trained, well-funded, and knowledgable people out there. There is no incentive for them to give up and find a softer target. They can continue to probe until they find a single weak spot and then exploit it. And there's no concern about their behavior being discovered or any accountability to authorities after the fact. Criminals will eventually give up unless the payoff is large. State actors have no monetary incentive so they can continue for years until they are successful. And it is nearly certain this was a state actor based on evidence we have and the fact that money wasn't the objective. That alone is a HUGE sign that this was political entity and not a criminal one.

• Options
    When the Sanders campaign alleged that the Clinton campaign was improperly using its joint fundraising committee with the DNC to benefit itself, Clinton campaign lawyer Marc Elias offered the DNC guidance on how to respond.

"My suggestion is that the DNC put out a statement saying that the accusations the Sanders campaign are not true," Elias said May 3 in response to an email about the issue sent by communications director Luis Miranda to other DNC stuff that copied Elias and another lawyer at his firm, Perkins Coie.

Elias continued: "The fact that CNN notes that you aren’t getting between the two campaigns is the problem. Here, Sanders is attacking the DNC and its current practice, its past practice with the POTUS and with Sec Kerry. Just as the RNC pushes back directly on Trump over 'rigged system', the DNC should push back DIRECTLY at Sanders and say that what he is saying is false and harmful the the Democratic party."

Elias's guidance isn't perhaps all that shocking; he's Clinton's lawyer, after all. But the fact that he was talking to the DNC about how to respond would appear to suggest coordination between the DNC and Clinton campaign against Sanders in this particular case.

I am not sure that this RNC member understands what a false flag is.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/26/donald-trump-vladimir-putin-ties-north-carolina-rally
    But the DNC email scandal and Trump’s relationship with Russia barely penetrated a steamy fairground in Winston-Salem on Monday night, where Trump supporters in red hats lined up for hours in 100F (38C) heat to see the Republican nominee.

One of the more politically savvy attendees, Dr Ada Fisher, a longtime member of the Republican National Committee, saw political dirty tricks to undermine Trump. Fisher described the controversy to the Guardian as “a false flag to cover up [Clinton]’s transgressions” and “probably the biggest lie I’ve seen”.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Roz wrote: »

I don't want to get too off-topic, but the bolded is just unfair. I work in the cyber security field, and security is hard. Like really really hard. Securing a network and infrastructure is difficult even for large multi-national corporations with millions dedicated to security. Target got hacked and they probably have 100X the capital/operational expenditure that the DNC has specifically preventing these types of breaches. It wouldn't surprise me if the email server and many pieces of their infrastructure were setup by unpaid volunteers.

Even a well developed SOC and security posture can be vulnerable to threats, zero-days, or well designed phishing emails. And that's just from common criminals. State actors, especially those engaged in cyber espionage, are usually some of the most well-trained, well-funded, and knowledgable people out there. There is no incentive for them to give up and find a softer target. They can continue to probe until they find a single weak spot and then exploit it. And there's no concern about their behavior being discovered or any accountability to authorities after the fact. Criminals will eventually give up unless the payoff is large. State actors have no monetary incentive so they can continue for years until they are successful. And it is nearly certain this was a state actor based on evidence we have and the fact that money wasn't the objective. That alone is a HUGE sign that this was political entity and not a criminal one.

Yeah, there's also some evidence that they penetrated the private accounts of some DNC staff at Yahoo Mail, etc.

The first thing you learn on the defensive side of security is that there is no 100% way to stop a determined attacker with resources. You do what you can and then have strategies to limit the damage they can do once access is achieved.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    GOP talking point of the day seems to be "No one said ISIS!"

That's comically pathetic. "We don't disagree with anything that was said! BUT NO ONE SPOKE ABOUT ISIS, TRAITORS!"

i wonder if its ever occurred to them to listen to what the Dems are actually saying, rather than focusing so much on what they're not saying.

GOP - "They wont say Radical Islamic Terrorism!"

everyone else - "They spoke about unity, hope and a better tomorr..."

GOP - "THEY DIDN'T SAY ISIS!!!"

It is true that they basically didn't talk about terrorism as an issue either (except obliquely with references to Orlando but those were mostly focused on the victims). But it was Bernie's night and Bernie was not really a foreign policy candidate.

its the first day of a 4 day convention. not everything is going to get covered on the first night. i'm sure there will be mentions of terrorism and ISIS, hell i'd expect them both to be brought up in Hillary's speech alone.

unles you're the disorganized RNC of this year and EVERY night is HILLARY TERRORISTS BLACK PEOPLE MEXICANS MUSLIMS. HILLARY TERRORISTS BLACK PEOPLE MEXICANS MUSLIMS.

then it's like well if you didn't mention every single thing you're scared of every single night I guess you don't think it exists.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    what you do is always have e-mail chains about wild claims like how the democrats must win to keep the alien spacecraft secret

• Options
    Variable wrote: »
    I want to give people leeway but calling yourself a "bernie" or "bernies" when you're no longer doing what he wants you to do is bullshit

I don't see from that article that they are calling themselves that?

My understanding is that label is being attached to them by people who want to keep attacking Bernie in spite of his endorsement.

fair enough I may have misinterpreted it. thanks for the correction.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    reposting this here cuz shaun king is super pro bernie and wrote this and i guess it makes me glad people are not all dinguses http://www.nydailynews.com/news/election/king-stop-donald-trump-voting-hillary-clinton-article-1.2726614

What a self-absorbed ignorant asshole. I'm glad he understands FPtP, but holy shit, the entitlement dripping from these words rivals that of Trump himself.

• Options
    Houn wrote: »

What a self-absorbed ignorant asshole. I'm glad he understands FPtP, but holy shit, the entitlement dripping from these words rivals that of Trump himself.

what?

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    It's sad that the GOP is perfectly fine being a tool for a foreign government as long as the democrats don't win. Like way to be for america guys.

Well if you recall, Mr Pence laid out his loyalties in order, and America wasn't even #2.

Mr Trump, of course, is only loyal to one thing.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    My mom lost sympathy for the poors 30 seconds after she stopped being a poor.

Pulled the ladder up so fast it gave her friction burns.

All splinters in her hands

All scratches on the ladder

Rubber foot all knocked off the end of the ladder.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    It's sad that the GOP is perfectly fine being a tool for a foreign government as long as the democrats don't win. Like way to be for america guys.

Well if you recall, Mr Pence laid out his loyalties in order, and America wasn't even #2.

But the DNC was unpatriotic because it had no American flags.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Secretary of Fire

Chief of Department of Shade.

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

Yeah, there's also some evidence that they penetrated the private accounts of some DNC staff at Yahoo Mail, etc.

The first thing you learn on the defensive side of security is that there is no 100% way to stop a determined attacker with resources. You do what you can and then have strategies to limit the damage they can do once access is achieved.

I've worked with some fortune 500s that have an incredible amount of resources dedicated to preventing exactly this type of threat. Some of the more confident CISOs/Directors of Security have insisted that leaks like the DNC hack can't happen to them.

I've politely explained that they are realistically about one large DDoS attack from this exact thing happening to them, and they wouldn't even know it.

• Options
    Yeah no cyber security is 100% and if someone wants something and are determined they can probably get it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah no cyber security is 100% and if someone wants something and are determined they can probably get it.

Sure there is.

Put a computer in a locked room with no electricity and no power button.

Boom.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Secretary of Fire

Chief of Department of Shade.

Spokesperson for Feeding the Chicken.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Flags are probably still on backorder after the RNC drained the national reserve.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

Sure there is.

Boom.

nice to see you've even got some redundancy built into that system to be extra safe. can't be to careful after all.

• Options

they only had american senators and families and held it in america so I guess it can be hard to tell whose side they're on

• Options

they only had american senators and families and held it in america so I guess it can be hard to tell whose side they're on

Extra funny again coming from the party benefiting from russian cyber attacks, running a candidate that praises foreign dictators.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Sure there is.

Boom.

nice to see you've even got some redundancy built into that system to be extra safe. can't be to careful after all.

Put the locked room in a Kmart.

Nobody ever goes there.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Extra funny again coming from the party benefiting from russian cyber attacks, running a candidate that praises foreign dictators.

also, only a fraction of the flags on the stage at the RNC were actually real.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

About the only way would be to put it in a safe, fill the safe with concrete, shut the safe, give it a random combination, and then dump it in the Mariana Trench.

And even then....

sig.gif
  • Options
    As we all know, your words and deeds mean nothing for how much you love your country, only the number of flags you have in your camera shot.

aeNqQM9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.