As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [presidential election] is done with conventions

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    A Clinton narrative! Has the Clinton campaign even responded much? Seems like they're stepping back and letting the Trump campaign do most of the work for them this week

Inkstain82 wrote: »
    But if it isn't, if the rest of Trump's support is entrenched, it makes me nervous.
    It makes me nauseous

With a nauseous, suuuuuper naus?

I just realized you could put "Mr Trump" in that song and it would work perfectly.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

They're not even pretending to be running together

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I am FINALLY caught up with the thread. I was last caught up yesterday afternoon; the universe cracked and flooded this thread with insanity in a mere 12-hour period.

This election season. I just... what? I can no longer discern reality from satire. Everything in this thread is stuck in a quantum superposition of being both completely believeable and unbelievable simultaneously, even when observed and measured.

I am literally light headed right now.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    It's worth pointing out that it normally almost never happens that you have a "faithless elector", they pretty much always vote with the popular vote. But yes, the whole concept of the Electoral College is super undemocratic and should go away.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    My concern about the GA defector is that he talks about putting in a write-in candidate, and not Hillary. This means that now people can view a vote for Donald Trump as a vote for Generic Republican, hoping the electoral college will split the vote, have no majority, and Congress steps in to install a yet-to-be-named R.

Not quite "yet-to-be-named.". In case of no electoral majority, the House must select one of the top three candidates receiving electoral votes. So the House chooses between Clinton, Trump, and whoever Vu writes in.

Well, assuming Vu's vote swings the thing. Otherwise they'll need a critical mass of electors, and you could get all sorts of handfuls of write-ins with that.

President Ron Paul, is what I'm saying.

Because that's how this gets even more fucked up.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I really doubt faithless electors nationwide could swing this election. One guy in georgia ain't a trend.

Nobody ever notices the avalanche before it starts.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yes its a Clinton Narrative the Trump campaign is clown shoes, that's why his running mate just endorsed someone he personally said he would not.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Yes its a Clinton Narrative the Trump campaign is clown shoes, that's why his running mate just endorsed someone he personally said he would not.

It's okay, Pence got permission to speak.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Too many people don't understand why the founding fathers put the EC in place. I blame public schools.

The EC exists for the express purpose of stopping the uneducated masses from putting a tyrant or madman in power. That is literally it's purpose. Like many other protections the founding fathers put in place against the uneducated masses fucking up the republic, the EC has been forgotten/weakened over the years.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Why would anyone who wanted to keep their job in the campaign voice anything negative about Trump right now?

Being a Trump staffer is the easiest job in the world. Nothing you do matters, your boss never looks at your work, and you get paid (hopefully).

The paid part is probably what would get people to walk. I can't imagine he's not keeping up his usual bullshit with regards to pay checks. I'd be surprised if staffers have gotten half the money owed.

My immediate though to this comment was he's going to stiff them all for substandard work. No doubt about it.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Let's just make sure there's no doubt and get Clinton to 270 EC votes and be done with it.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    And now the real fun gets to begin too!

Can Trump ALSO take down the electoral college?

Wait, so there are 21 out of 50 states, where the electoral college can ignore the public vote? Just how fucked up is your election system? Why do people in these 21 states even go to the voting booth if the Electors can just go "nah" and ignore them?

So it has only happened like twice with no effect, and I think one of those times it was forcibly changed to match the popular vote. Yes it's dumb

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    My concern about the GA defector is that he talks about putting in a write-in candidate, and not Hillary. This means that now people can view a vote for Donald Trump as a vote for Generic Republican, hoping the electoral college will split the vote, have no majority, and Congress steps in to install a yet-to-be-named R.

Not quite "yet-to-be-named.". In case of no electoral majority, the House must select one of the top three candidates receiving electoral votes. So the House chooses between Clinton, Trump, and whoever Vu writes in.

Well, assuming Vu's vote swings the thing. Otherwise they'll need a critical mass of electors, and you could get all sorts of handfuls of write-ins with that.

As long as Clinton secures a majority of the popular and EC votes legitimately and faithfully, I couldn't care less how many electors decide to write in "not-Trump". It won't stop certain folk from claming that she "stole the election", but they're going to claim that regardless and maybe it'll force those states to adopt some legal punishments for faithless electors; or, if I dare dream, and overhaul/abolishment of the College entirely.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Such a nice guy that Ben Carson as long as you don't follow LUCIFER

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Houn wrote: »

As long as Clinton secures a majority of the popular and EC votes legitimately and faithfully, I couldn't care less how many electors decide to write in "not-Trump". It won't stop certain folk from claming that she "stole the election", but they're going to claim that regardless and maybe it'll force those states to adopt some legal punishments for faithless electors; or, if I dare dream, and overhaul/abolishment of the College entirely.

Yeah Clinton could win all the votes with like video of everyone in the country specifically choosing her and then saying their full secret name and people would still go "Man she stole the election."

It's why trump is out there shitting about it being rigged, his internal polls must be fucking abysmal.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »

Such a nice guy that Ben Carson as long as you don't follow LUCIFER

You'd think Trump shot them in the face or something.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options

Yeah Clinton could win all the votes with like video of everyone in the country specifically choosing her and then saying their full secret name and people would still go "Man she stole the election."

It's why trump is out there shitting about it being rigged, his internal polls must be fucking abysmal.

I think the narcicissm plus the RICO thing have pushed him into raw nihilism at this point.

If he can't rule it, he'd rather see it burn.

• Options
    Holy Shit maybe he does have fucking brain problems

Like this goes beyond simply not knowing shit, this goes into "Maybe he should be in a hospital undergoing treatment?"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    And now the real fun gets to begin too!

Can Trump ALSO take down the electoral college?

Wait, so there are 21 out of 50 states, where the electoral college can ignore the public vote? Just how fucked up is your election system? Why do people in these 21 states even go to the voting booth if the Electors can just go "nah" and ignore them?

Who said anything about democracy. We are a representational republic.

• Options
    Tammy Duckworth is looking to shove one of her shiny new space-legs up Trump's ass.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    If Trump drops out and it's suddenly Clinton vs Pence it'd be really weird, because suddenly Hillary would have the charisma advantage. And I say this with love and respect for her. I think she'd be weirded out herself. She's a super-competent policy wonk with a good heart, but not exactly a magnetic personality.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    Jeb's National Security guy drives home just how terrifying Trump's alleged obsession with nukes is

Holy fucking shit.

Donald Trump just got me to change my stance on unilateral nuclear disarmament

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    the EC stuff kind of scares me. People were already going to say it was rigged, then you have Trump saying it in advance, and now people who in fact are part of the system are basically saying yup, we'll fuck you if we have to.

I know it's the system, I hate how it looks to the opposite side.

Faithless electors are a core part of the design, as a last check against exactly this scenario. If this helps push electoral college reform, that would be a bonus on top of a Hillary win.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    If Trump drops out and it's suddenly Clinton vs Pence it'd be really weird, because suddenly Hillary would have the charisma advantage. And I say this with love and respect for her. I think she'd be weirded out herself. She's a super-competent policy wonk with a good heart, but not exactly a magnetic personality.

Enter Tim "Pops" Kaine dual wielding jazz harmonicas.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

Depends on the size of the room, by pretty much all accounts. If she's with a small group, she is magnetic. It's just the big set pieces she's less good at.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Too many people don't understand why the founding fathers put the EC in place. I blame public schools.

The EC exists for the express purpose of stopping the uneducated masses from putting a tyrant or madman in power. That is literally it's purpose. Like many other protections the founding fathers put in place against the uneducated masses fucking up the republic, the EC has been forgotten/weakened over the years.

And everyone hates the electoral college.

And yet. The Founders thought that maybe one day it would be important. It's true that an electoral college upset could only happen one time, but this doesn't seem like it's a bad time.

Best case fantasy scenario: There are a few faithless electors but not enough to make a difference and Hillary wins anyway. Anger at the electoral system leads to President decided by popular vote and from that point forward.

Envision an America where a handful of swing states didn't decide the most important thing. That would be well worth the fallout.

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    I feel like Trump would only drop out if he had compelling evidence he was going to suffer a humiliating and undeniable defeat. I'm not sure if his ego could not take being trounced that publicly by someone, especially if that someone were Hillary Clinton.

On the other hand, I'm not sure his ego could take dropping out, either. I would say that he's not going to drop out because people simply don't drop out at this stage, but this year has demonstrated if nothing else that the conventional rules and patterns do not currently apply.

• Options

That we're even hearing about this and they are having to deny it is amazing.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Like this goes beyond simply not knowing shit, this goes into "Maybe he should be in a hospital undergoing treatment?"

nah, that is absolutely not knowing shit.

and also not caring that he doesn't know shit.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Duffel wrote: »
    I feel like Trump would only drop out if he had compelling evidence he was going to suffer a humiliating and undeniable defeat. I'm not sure if his ego could not take being trounced that publicly by someone, especially if that someone were Hillary Clinton.

On the other hand, I'm not sure his ego could take dropping out, either. I would say that he's not going to drop out because people simply don't drop out at this stage, but this year has demonstrated if nothing else that the conventional rules and patterns do not currently apply.

So you're saying this thread...

...is done with conventions?

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

This combined with what Trump said in the Washington Post interview makes me wonder if Trump is talking with Pence in any real way.

From the Washington Post interview:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/08/03/donald-trump-has-a-secret-state-strategy-that-you-cant-know-about/
    RUCKER: Let’s go back just a little bit to Pence. I’d love you to tell me what your relationship’s like.

TRUMP: I think it’s phenomenal.

RUCKER: How do you guys communicate during the day?

TRUMP: Beyond good. Beyond good.

RUCKER: Do you talk each day?

TRUMP: Oh, there look, can you believe that? Something, right?

did he seriously just pull a

*points behind you*

"Hey, what's that?"

*runs away when you turn to look*

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I imagine that on a desk in Clinton's campaign HQ is a binder labeled "Post-convention attack strategy". This binder has about two weeks with of dust on it right now.

Or maybe Trump knows what is in it and his current behavior is to keep it hidden.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Trump has a public appearance in an hour, so get ready y'all. It's in Florida too, for maximum absurdity.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

This is also why I don't want Trump off the ballot. This election has already emboldened the worst among our number, allowing and normalizing the behavior and speech of racists, sexists, and bigots, and it is the duty of the rest of this country to reject this kind of hate as loudly, publicly, and definitively as possible. It's too late to go back to the way things were: the GOP nurtured them for decades, Trump gave them a voice, and they've been convinced that they are morally righteous, so any loss will be perceived as a failure of the system. There will be violence. There will be domestic terrorism. I hope that it will go no further than a string of Malheurs, but I don't have it in me to try to predict the damage that can be caused by those who feel they have nothing left to lose.

This election is truly about the soul of America. Are we a grand democracy, a melting pot of cultures and ideas that can disagree while still respecting one another and believing in our shared experiment, or are we an insecure mob, afraid of our own shadows, lashing out at any perceived threat to our way of life, who would rather make those we disagree with disappear than be forced to have a single awkward conversation about our beliefs?

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

nah, that is absolutely not knowing shit.

and also not caring that he doesn't know shit.

I mean come on he already released a solid physician's note testifying to his fitness for office

trump-doctor-2_custom-f01450ffb64dcf48651dcac21f2e500521b5ced9-s900-c85.jpg

There's nothing about this unimpeachable assessment that is open to skepticism

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Trump has a public appearance in an hour, so get ready y'all. It's in Florida too, for maximum absurdity.

Florida Man and Talking Orange, this fall on UPN!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I'm almost starting to feel bad for him.

Then I remember he's a fraudulent narcissist who has systematically enabled white supremacists and done irreparable damage to our foreign relations simply to prove his own greatness to himself.

Trump-on-Trump-on-Trump-at-RNC-Getty-640x479.jpg

Fuck that guy.

This discussion has been closed.