Options

USA Presidential Election 2016: A Ring of Liar

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    The polls will probably stabilize, a bit, and they might swing back towards Trump a bit. Probably not enough to put him in the lead, but it'll probably narrow the gap. I mean, assuming Trump doesn't have another week like this, which is...assuming a bunch of things, I guess, but as awful as he's been, he hasn't had this much awful concentrated in such a short amount of time before, so...it might not happen again?

Just, maybe don't panic if Trump manages to not get in the fight with the parents of a dead soldier and a mother with an infant for a solid week and some Republicans decide that they still hate Hillary more.

See, my feeling is that if Trump starts to swing back he's going to swing back hard. The press will do a LOT to reinforce the narrative that he's becoming more Presidential to get us back into horse race territory, and people will forget about all the insanity this week. I was told to hate Hillary before I was in middle school, something as tiny as threatening to nuke the babies of people who are mean to him on twitter isn't going to be enough to completely knock out Trump.

He'll be back, and he'll be strong.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    The polls will probably stabilize, a bit, and they might swing back towards Trump a bit. Probably not enough to put him in the lead, but it'll probably narrow the gap. I mean, assuming Trump doesn't have another week like this, which is...assuming a bunch of things, I guess, but as awful as he's been, he hasn't had this much awful concentrated in such a short amount of time before, so...it might not happen again?

Just, maybe don't panic if Trump manages to not get in the fight with the parents of a dead soldier and a mother with an infant for a solid week and some Republicans decide that they still hate Hillary more.

See, my feeling is that if Trump starts to swing back he's going to swing back hard. The press will do a LOT to reinforce the narrative that he's becoming more Presidential to get us back into horse race territory, and people will forget about all the insanity this week. I was told to hate Hillary before I was in middle school, something as tiny as threatening to nuke the babies of people who are mean to him on twitter isn't going to be enough to completely knock out Trump.

He'll be back, and he'll be strong.

I feel like at this point gawking at the trumpster fire is winning out over trying to build up a horse race.

Its subject to change the closer we get, though.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I think there's still so much ground to cover.

Especially the debates.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Debates can really swing things. Romney was dead in the water until he managed to do well in the first debate, giving him a small lead.

Then Obama got his second wind and that was that.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    there's still the ridiculous-that-it's-even-a-question question of whether Trump will even show up to the debates
    if he doesn't he's surely done for

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I just don't see Trump performing sell at all in the debates, not against a seasoned politician like Hillary. She's too calm. The woman is unflappable. Trump will get flustered and go off message and rant and ignore the moderators and say some easily debunked outlandish bullshit and make himself look like a total jackass yet again.

• Options
    I never thought I'd say this, but how great would it be if Megan Kelly got to host a debate?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's anyone's guess how a debate will go

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Honestly?

Trump: I hold this position on something!
    Clinton: You're literally on film saying the opposite. Several times. Emphatically.
    Trump: Benghazi e-mail $400 million crooked hillary

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »
    It's anyone's guess how a debate will go

Well, Hillary is a mother, and I honestly can't think of better Trump prep than dealing with a small child.

• Options
    I just don't see Trump performing sell at all in the debates, not against a seasoned politician like Hillary. She's too calm. The woman is unflappable. Trump will get flustered and go off message and rant and ignore the moderators and say some easily debunked outlandish bullshit and make himself look like a total jackass yet again.

Hillary is vastly more experienced than Trump when it comes to the standard political debate, but Trump is a weird beast.

If he just screams at her the whole time and never lets her talk it will be spun as a "dominant" performance.

I still expect him to drop a C-bomb.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Honestly?

Trump: I hold this position on something!
    Clinton: You're literally on film saying the opposite. Several times. Emphatically.
    Trump: Benghazi e-mail $400 million crooked hillary

And the crowd goes wild.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Trump being incoherently pro-waterboarding is both unsurprising and almost dull at this point, but hey I'll grab any nano-straw I can pile onto the "horrible human" camel:

• Options
    As Chicago native, if it was "waterboarding Green Bay" I'd actually have to agree with Trump.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    actually once you run the polls through an advanced unbiasing system trump is up by 1 point in them

of course they also predicted romney would win 2012 in a landslide, but I'm sure this time they will get it

Wait, is this a joke or is that blithering fucking moron behind that "unskewed polls" website back at it again?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    My guess is as long as he doesn't literally light himself on fire (metaphorically is totally fine), the press will say that he was more presidential than usual, and would bill it as a clear win for him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Debates can really swing things. Romney was dead in the water until he managed to do well in the first debate, giving him a small lead.

Then Obama got his second wind and that was that.

Yeah, but credit to Romney...

Alright, I can't give Romney credit for anything. Suffice to say, he probably did better in the debates than Trump will.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    actually once you run the polls through an advanced unbiasing system trump is up by 1 point in them

of course they also predicted romney would win 2012 in a landslide, but I'm sure this time they will get it

Wait, is this a joke or is that blithering fucking moron behind that "unskewed polls" website back at it again?

they're back at it

• Options
    Also, to be perfectly honest, even when it was Obama/Romney they didn't seem like total opposites. They disagreed on a lot but they still had some common attributes, a certain element of composure and a family man quality.

But a Master Strategist with 40+ years in Politics, endorsed by multiple Presidents, former Secretary of State, former Senator from one of the most chaotic states in the Union, former FLOTUS, longtime activist, potential first-female President and barrier-shattering human in a dozen different way, VS a Billionaire, Alpha Male, Real Estate Magnate who never met a rule he wasn't willing to break or a norm he wasn't willing to ignore, who literally never did a Public Service in his entire life.

Someone who has literally lived her life in Public Service vs someone whose entire existence hinges on the mystique of his Private Sector success.

Someone who is much better at executing ideas than selling them, vs someone who sells everything to eleven, especially himself, without any thought for how to follow through.

It could be the most epic thing ever to watch them face off.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    I've been to Medieval Times and I can say yes, the dinner shows there are real fucked up

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Romney was a good man that I disagree with about many things. He would have made a fine president, in the 5/10 sense. The lights would have stayed on, and social progress would have stood still for four years. He went through the primary machine and got spat out saying right wing shit because he had to, but he wouldn't have fucking nuked Tehran or anything. See also: John McCain. Trump is a sign that we didn't realise how fucking lucky we were to have candidates like John Mccain and Romney in the opposition.

• Options
    Also Biden doesn't get enough credit for pulling the debates around. It might have been a different story if he hadn't dunked on Paul Ryan for 90 minutes.

• Options
    Romney was a good man that I disagree with about many things. He would have made a fine president, in the 5/10 sense. The lights would have stayed on, and social progress would have stood still for four years. He went through the primary machine and got spat out saying right wing shit because he had to, but he wouldn't have fucking nuked Tehran or anything. See also: John McCain. Trump is a sign that we didn't realise how fucking lucky we were to have candidates like John Mccain and Romney in the opposition.

The problem is he likely would have signed 99% of the dumb bullshit the House and Senate would have cooked up, and totally would have pushed the Supreme Court to the right with his nominations.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    there were always some creepy religious undertones with romney and some kind of mormon prophecy about ushering in the kingom of god. there'a lot of mormons around here since it's the birthplace of the religion and they are nice enough but hoo boy some of the beliefs that religion has.

• Options
    I dunno, I tend to see the stuff about him doing some evil mormon shit as just a conspiracy from the other side. Most mormons are good people aside from some of their whackier shit and their general conservatism.

I appreciate that I'm coming at this from a pretty privileged viewpoint though. I know there are a lot of people that would have had a really bad time under Romney.

• Options
    It's amazing to think there was a time when I thought Paul Ryan was a really terrible politician and was super worried about him, and now I'd be willing to take him in my mouth if he'd agree to run against Trump. Like there is nothing I have that I wouldn't sell to switch Trump for Ryan

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular

in 2012 we threw out a shitload of hyperbole about Romney the arch-capitalist monster which I deeply regret because it sharply reduces the effect of those criticisms when levelled against Trump

the left kinda cried wolf in 2012 at least as much as republicans did about obama being the antichrist

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Just because trump is a snack food masquerading as Hitler doesn't mean Romney can't also be terrible.

Like, I don't think we need to recalibrate where the bottom of the barrel is. We just need to realize it was always possible to tunnel under it.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Replacing Trump as the republican candidate wouldn't really do anything to solve the conditions that let him get this far, though. I've love to see a new Republican party emerge from this shitshow that focuses less on the interests of the ultra-rich and more on the people it purports to represent, but given their continued success on the state level I suspect the craziness will only escalate by the next election. I do think the party is self-destructing, but it's going to be a very, very slow burn.

l3icwZV.png
  • Options

in 2012 we threw out a shitload of hyperbole about Romney the arch-capitalist monster which I deeply regret because it sharply reduces the effect of those criticisms when levelled against Trump

the left kinda cried wolf in 2012 at least as much as republicans did about obama being the antichrist

It happens every time. Like, remember in 2007 when everyone on the left fucking loved Mccain? He could have crossed the floor and no one would have batted an eyelid. And Romney invented Obamacare!

• Options
    Romney invented Obamacare and then proceeded to act like it's the worst thing in the history of worst things, because Obama did it.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I kinda don't want anyone else to step into Trump's position at this point basically because I feel like they would be able to walk right into the White House, no matter who it is. Trump is basically the main thing holding Trump (and the Republicans as a whole) at this point and the mountain of negative shit against Hillary would make it really easy for someone else to say "I'm not Trump but all that stuff about Hillary is still there" to thunderous cheers from a newly united GOP.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    perhaps the next candidate will make us wish for trump back

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    It has to be Ryan next, surely?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    who knows, everybody thought it was gonna be jeb this time

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Yeah and everyone was all "fuck Jeb let's make fun of Jeb and his goofy logo no more Bush"

I hope you're all proud of yourselves

• Options
    Fuck, anyone want W back? I'd take W right now.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    It would be pretty amazing if Trump dropped out and Priebus had to go and beg Jeb! to jump back in.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Man Trump's not dropping out

Dropping out is for low-energy losers!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.