As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ask Tube (G&T edition)

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I still feel bad about my Evolve thread OP, but honestly I lost interest in the game and couldn't keep up with the OP anymore.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    sometimes I feel like I would be better off with a coin flip name

then I see the otaku suppository and rethink things

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Tube have you ever used the forums to play a drinking game?

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Tube have you ever used the forums to play a drinking game?

I cant imagine any drinking game based on the forum where tube survives the alcohol poisoning

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    QUESTIONS FOR TUBE:

Looking back, do you thing nuking the old platform Megathreads (ie xbox 360 megathread) was the right call? A lot of people left the forums to form various treehouses and just never came back.

Why are forum topics still capped at 100?

Is it weird I still post here after being around FOREVER? It's not weird right? I have a life! oh god

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Is it weird I still post here after being around FOREVER? It's not weird right? I have a life! oh god

Club 2003 for life, homie

*respek knuckles*

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Kami wrote: »

*respek knuckles*

on the old forums when you looked up a user it would display a number in the URL and that number was based on registration date, so lower numbers meant earlier registration. My number was embarrassingly low.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

*respek knuckles*

on the old forums when you looked up a user it would display a number in the URL and that number was based on registration date, so lower numbers meant earlier registration. My number was embarrassingly low.

Im sure its not the only thing that is embarrassingly small :heartbeat:

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    QUESTIONS FOR TUBE:

Looking back, do you thing nuking the old platform Megathreads (ie xbox 360 megathread) was the right call? A lot of people left the forums to form various treehouses and just never came back.

Why are forum topics still capped at 100?

1. God yes. That is something that bothers me not one bit. Feature not bug
    2. Because it makes the forums slightly better
    3. Nah

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    2. Because it makes the forums slightly better
    How so?

• Options
    It means we don't have giant, intimidating threads that new people don't want to get involved in. It gives break points for new threads so that new people can write OPs. It gives break points for me to say "ok, this thread gets some time off". It makes it easier to prevent the domination of megathreads.

Without that rule we would literally have threads that are tens of thousands of pages long.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It means we don't have giant, intimidating threads that new people don't want to get involved in. It gives break points for new threads so that new people can write OPs. It gives break points for me to say "ok, this thread gets some time off". It makes it easier to prevent the domination of megathreads.

Without that rule we would literally have threads that are tens of thousands of pages long.

A lot of recurring threads also have rotating OPs. It gives many people a sense of ownership, in that they are responsible for introducing new folks to each thread topic or just curating new content. For G&T in particular, I notice that every OP is an introduction to the game itself for people who are new, to try to help build a little PA community around that game. Every time I pick up a new game or am curious about it beforehand, I'll check out the corresponding G&T thread.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

A lot of recurring threads also have rotating OPs. It gives many people a sense of ownership, in that they are responsible for introducing new folks to each thread topic or just curating new content. For G&T in particular, I notice that every OP is an introduction to the game itself for people who are new, to try to help build a little PA community around that game. Every time I pick up a new game or am curious about it beforehand, I'll check out the corresponding G&T thread.

The great OPs have led me to check out more than one game. I distinctly remember seeing an old Company of Heroes OP and being like, "OHH SHIT, I GOTTA GET THIS GAME!"

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Plus if the creator stops posting then the information just gets more and more of of date.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Why do mods hate it when old threads get resurrected? It doesn't seem to be a "this thread died for a reason" kind of thing, but just a general hatred of old threads getting bumped.

edit: this question sounds confrontational and I don't mean it to. I don't even care a little bit other than that I see them get closed once in a while and am very curious about it.

MadPen on
    3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

This is something I've been guilty of but I've seen threads that consistently have the same OP maker. Does that bother the mods?

• Options
    MadPen wrote: »
    Why do mods hate it when old threads get resurrected? It doesn't seem to be a "this thread died for a reason" kind of thing, but just a general hatred of old threads getting bumped.

edit: this question sounds confrontational and I don't mean it to. I don't even care a little bit other than that I see them get closed once in a while and am very curious about it.

We don't really hate it honestly

This is something I've been guilty of but I've seen threads that consistently have the same OP maker. Does that bother the mods?

Not even a little bit

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Tube, are you still playing No Man's Sky? Do you still hate it or did you come around to liking it?

Is it worth a purchase?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

*respek knuckles*

Speaking of club 2003...

Why do the badges stop at 10 years?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm curious, what ever happened to my original account? I was a member of the previous forums before they went down, and when I saw they were back up in Feb 2003, I tried to register with the screen name I use for everything, SirCarcass, but it never sent out the verification email so I kind of wandered off. I came back in May 2003 and it wouldn't let me try to register again since the name was taken, so I made a new account with the added space. Just curious if that original account got purged or is still waiting for a verification that will never happen.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

*respek knuckles*

Whoo, 2003 join dates.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

*respek knuckles*

Speaking of club 2003...

They don't. You get that "ancient member" badge (or whatever it's called). Nobody really cares about join date elitism.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Typically members of said community are cool with it. If anyone else wanted a go, they'd probably just have to say 'hey can I do the next thread' 'sure go nuts'.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

*respek knuckles*

Speaking of club 2003...

They don't. You get that "ancient member" badge (or whatever it's called). Nobody really cares about join date elitism.

I don't care about join date elitism either but it was nice to get a yearly "forum birthday" type thing. It's not a big deal but I do miss it a bit.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    We see it in the tech section of g&t sometimes too, but then it's usually some bizzare spam bot with a message that's so cryptic I wonder how it could ever be effective.

This forum is remarkably free of spam and excessive shitposting (read: Buzzfeed links). Couple that with a pretty large, active user base, and a much larger active lurking population, and I'm guessing Google's algorithm treats this place like some sort of City Upon a Hill when it comes to search results.

Aquinas spoke of the mythical City on the Hill

Soon that city will be real and we will be crowned its kings. Or, better than kings...

Old men.

Hey Tube, orange, or lemon lime?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

*respek knuckles*

Speaking of club 2003...

Typical '08 behavior....

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    UNATCO?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Can't remember if it was when we switched to Vanilla or the previous forum software, but by default it showed the join date under your avatar by the post. We removed that pretty quickly because it provides absolutely nothing of value whatsoever.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Also Tube, what do you drive and what are you thoughts on whatever it is? Do you have a dream car?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Can't remember if it was when we switched to Vanilla or the previous forum software, but by default it showed the join date under your avatar by the post. We removed that pretty quickly because it provides absolutely nothing of value whatsoever.

No, it provided exactly one thing of value. Removing it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Tube, are you still playing No Man's Sky? Do you still hate it or did you come around to liking it?

Is it worth a purchase?

Nah it's a pile of horseshit. It's not even "it's not what they promised!", that isn't the issue. It's just not good. The fundamental design of the game doesn't work well.

*respek knuckles*

Speaking of club 2003...

Because most forum communities stop before 10 years.
    LD50 wrote: »
    We see it in the tech section of g&t sometimes too, but then it's usually some bizzare spam bot with a message that's so cryptic I wonder how it could ever be effective.

This forum is remarkably free of spam and excessive shitposting (read: Buzzfeed links). Couple that with a pretty large, active user base, and a much larger active lurking population, and I'm guessing Google's algorithm treats this place like some sort of City Upon a Hill when it comes to search results.

Aquinas spoke of the mythical City on the Hill

Soon that city will be real and we will be crowned its kings. Or, better than kings...

Old men.

Hey Tube, orange, or lemon lime?

Orange. Fanta is like a super hipster soda in Montreal, the only place I can find it is the super hipster deli.
    Also Tube, what do you drive and what are you thoughts on whatever it is? Do you have a dream car?

I don't drive right now, I live downtown and walk everywhere. My dream car is pretty cliche, I'd like to own a pimped out Tesla.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    If anything, having a ridiculous handle can be a nice reminder that you can be (or used to be) a bit of a dumbass. Like, my handle is stupid, but it's not the dumbest thing I've ever done in my life, and if I can't laugh at myself then I have bigger problems. A little perspective can be a good thing.

Naming yourself after me was the best decision you could have made. ;)

(I too regret naming myself Inquisitor)

quite frankly if someone isn't bare minimum indifferent to an online name they chose 5 years ago i have some suspicions

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I'm still super attached to my online name and I've had it since '99, but it doesn't mean anything to the average person so it's not like xXKillMasterXx

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Orange. Fanta is like a super hipster soda in Montreal, the only place I can find it is the super hipster deli.

Oh shiz, you're in Montreal? Iunno if you follow sportball at all, but would you be at all excited if the Expos (baseball team) came back to Montreal? They moved away a little over a decade ago because shady business stuff, but there's an active movement to bring them back.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Rius wrote: »
    I'm still super attached to my online name and I've had it since '99, but it doesn't mean anything to the average person so it's not like xXKillMasterXx

What if there was an XxRiusxX? =P

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

"Drez" is my EverQuest nickname. My main character was named Drezdar. It's a constant reminder of the life that EQ sucked out of me and not to let anything suck that much out of me ever again.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Drez wrote: »

"Drez" is my EverQuest nickname. My main character was named Drezdar. It's a constant reminder of the life that EQ sucked out of me and not to let anything suck that much out of me ever again.

Must be why some women keep their ex-husband's surname after a divorce heyooooo

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    This name has been my only real online handle I've ever used. I also like it because when I selected this name I worked at a commercial printing press, and the large rolls of paper running through the presses were called webs. So I was a web guy who was 20 when I started using this nickname. Now I'll be 35 next week and FUCK that's been a long time!

I do wish I had capitalized it when I picked it out here though. D'oh.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    This name has been my only real online handle I've ever used. I also like it because when I selected this name I worked at a commercial printing press, and the large rolls of paper running through the presses were called webs. So I was a web guy who was 20 when I started using this nickname. Now I'll be 35 next week and FUCK that's been a long time!

I do wish I had capitalized it when I picked it out here though. D'oh.

Yeah, this has been my screen name since I was on AOL back when they still sent out 3.5 floppies through the mail. (Sweet! 100 free hours of internet!)
    At least your name has an interesting story behind it. Mine's just initials followed by birthday.

This discussion has been closed.