Options

Eldad Hagar Appreciation [chat]

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Mens fashion is considered adventurous when the belt doesn't match the shoes.
    Is this a thing?

Nobody I know could give the slightest shit, frankly.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Mens fashion is considered adventurous when the belt doesn't match the shoes.
    Is this a thing?

Nobody I know could give the slightest shit, frankly.

It's a thing.

At least in the area of business dress, it's most definitely a thing.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/should-a-mans-shoes-and-belt-always-match-1455736279

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I'm wearing a blue suede belt with grey suede shoes at the moment and I feel like that works only because those are weird colors in the first place

I can't have all my leather accessories be blue or grey, you know?

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    of course it's a thing

have you not been matching your belt and shoes

my god...

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I'm wearing a blue suede belt with grey suede shoes at the moment and I feel like that works only because those are weird colors in the first place

If you've got the fashion acumen to make it work, then work it.

I am far too plain in appearance to try something that daring.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

I've alerted vivianne westwood to this punk couture

• Options
    I'm just glad I don't worry about wallet and watch matching along with the shoes and belt

I feel like that's step too far into dandyville

• Options
    I'm just glad I don't worry about wallet and watch matching along with the shoes and belt

That's just insanity.

I'm glad I can't stand wearing watches.

• Options
    recently my black belt broke so i had to wear my brown shoes every day

even with black pants

cry evry tiem

• Options
    I am consistently impressed by the rhinoshit you concoct to sell people new stuff, America.

• Options
    I am consistently impressed by the rhinoshit you concoct to sell people new stuff, America.

Is what it is.

I'd prefer a workplace where I could simply go in all-Adidas shit with a pair of sandals, but those usually don't pay much.

• Options
    excuse me

have you seen what people look like when their belt doesn't match their shoes?

• Options
    In WoW I resuscitated four injured baby dragons, "gently lifting" the last who was too injured to fly and brought him to the nearby dying ancient dragon

I agreed to help and the dying ancient dragon said, "You are a kind, small thing (username)."

that's a nice thing to say to someone

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I'm back in the USA chat!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

the hell it is!

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I started playing Dark Souls 2 again on New Game +.

I'm so rusty, the three little pigs in Majula came very close to killing me.

• Options
    desc wrote: »

I've alerted vivianne westwood to this punk couture

I just read something about Monse (Mon-SAY), "fashion's hottest new label" apparently, and I was like, maybe I should shop there

for women only

this terrorism

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So this duet app for the iPad is kind of crazy:

08i7prckhdcv.jpeg

I get to use my iPad Pro as a second monitor, at 1024x768 HiDPI, 60 frames per second over USB2 cables.

And there is only the slightest sense of delay when I have a bunch of stuff happening at once over there. It barely touches my CPU/GPU. I suspect if there was an official USB3 to Lightning cable this would be completely flawless.

Kind of takes the sting away from losing the 27" screen in the name of portability.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Belt and shoes matching is not an American fashion idea

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    excuse me

Sane?

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    excuse me

Sane?

Not the word Id use...

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    My sense of fashion is basically limited to knowing when it is inappropriate to wear a graphic T-shirt and even I know that belt and shoes matching is a good idea.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options

90% of hits coming up arguing for this are American sites. Plus British fashion on belts never gave a shit until very recently; the only vaguely held rule was that you should try and match leather with leather.

So, er, yeah, it's 'murica at it again lol.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Leitner wrote: »
    The reality is there is a comparatively very small range of mainstream acceptable clothing pieces and cuts for men.

Which is what we were talking about. Unless I totally misread Regina Fong

women certainly have more styles of acceptable clothing than men, but (as I understood it) the argument was about when these clothing norms are breached.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    If you are wearing something dressy, the shoes and belt should match. If your outfit involves a tie, cufflinks, etc. it is more or less a must unless you are making a statement of some sort.

If your outfit is more casual, you can totally get away with shoes and belt that do not color match, so long as they coordinate well together. Don't wear a gloss-black dress belt with sneakers.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

90% of hits coming up arguing for this are American sites. Plus British fashion on belts never gave a shit until very recently; the only vaguely held rule was that you should try and match leather with leather.

number of google hits with a cursory search is hardly compelling data, especially for a rule that was around for decades before the internet

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Dresses on men are still considered generally shocking and socially unacceptable because femininity in general is still opposing manliness and men who express femininity are deviant

Women who wear masculine fashions get away with it partially because men's fashions are easily tailored to accentuate feminine / sexy qualities--baby doll tees, low cut jeans, etc. Conversely just because women can wear suits doesn't mean there aren't ways that women are discouraged from showing excessive masculinity--ex suits that erase the curve of the female body or those exaggerate boxy shoulder pads from the 80s, coincidentally coded masculine at the exact time of the the anti-feminist backlash and rise of the "career driven" woman breaking into male spheres

I don't think the here's any question that women face far more daily and routine scrutiny for the care we put into our appearance and frankly the politics of what a certain decision to wear one thing one way or go without something (like makeup! Or a bra!) could mean. There's also a lot more shaming/anxiety/self consciousness taught to women at a very young age about what innovation of fashion a woman can or can't pull off, including men's clothing, with the primary metric to evaluate the success of that fashion being that she still appear attractive to men despite straying from traditional feminine clothing.

Whereas the question of how attractive a man is to women isn't top of mind when we evaluate a mans clothing choices (plus we haven't exactly created an easy to check list for men the way we have for women that can be drilled down to the most insignificant of body parts, like our nails); primarily it's, does this assemblage of fabric express confidence/business prowess/tech genius/dedication to the dark God Aztoth first, THEN is it also hot for the ladies??

Tldr stream of consciousness mobile posting: eat Arby's

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

I mean, you did the google search in english maybe?

Did a check on a german site and they say it is essential the belt and shoes match.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://karrierebibel.de/gurtel-knigge/&edit-text=&act=url

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    My cuff links rarely match my tie

I'm a rebel like that. A rebel in a three piece.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

nah the cufflinks don't need to match the tie, I was simply saying that if you are wearing clothes on that level, your leather should deffo match.

cufflinks and ties are, like, the only two places men can have fun with their outfits any more.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    I mean ffs right now the big lady debate is CAN YOU PULL OFF A CROP TOP IF HIPPO FK OFF

Cut 4 inches off a regular Tshirt and bitches better get back in the trenches and fight for the right to bare a belly button

I mean Jesus It feels like yesterday we were al having to justify our rights to yoga pants

• Options
    When you oppose boxy 80s women's shoulder pads, you oppose God, America, the first amendment, and Murphy Brown

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »
    The reality is there is a comparatively very small range of mainstream acceptable clothing pieces and cuts for men.

Which is what we were talking about. Unless I totally misread Regina Fong

women certainly have more styles of acceptable clothing than men, but (as I understood it) the argument was about when these clothing norms are breached.

The only (?) way to break gendered clothing norms for women is wearing a tie (also wearing men's dress shoes in certain contexts). In which case, it seems like people will generally treat you as they would treat a lesbian, so, either completely normally or with whatever their internal biases dictate.

Women can of course break clothing norms in a million other ways, for example not wearing a bra or wearing something that is slightly too revealing or not revealing enough or whatever.

It is almost certainly scarier to present any sort of femininity as a man than it is to present masculinity as a female, presumably because the latter is a show of strength to some degree, and the former could be read as a show of vulnerability/weakness (even though it's actually crazy brave).

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

nah the cufflinks don't need to match the tie, I was simply saying that if you are wearing clothes on that level, your leather should deffo match.

cufflinks and ties are, like, the only two places men can have fun with their outfits any more.

I guess socks too

Whimsy socks are big

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I know when you get deep into the Bateman mines you run into people who match their money clips to their cufflinks and their wallet to their belt.

And they will move their stuff between wallets on a daily basis to make sure every part of the outfit is considered.

Also, the leather or metal of their watch band has to coincide with the outfit also, so multiple watches.

Fk that.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I've worn cufflinks like once in my life

I'm a unclassly swine

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    What's with crop tops though? I don't understand the silhouette you're supposed to have with them. Slightly bare midriff+slightly high-wasted short shorts? The proportions look weird to me.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    When you oppose boxy 80s women's shoulder pads, you oppose God, America, the first amendment, and Murphy Brown

In both women and cars, design principles evolved between the 80s and 90s to favor curves over boxy frames and sharp edges

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »

I guess socks too

Whimsy socks are big

yeah I forgot about using socks to add flair - I personally don't go that route - My sock drawer is filled with black, grey, brown, and blue solid socks for the most part, with like two pairs of Argyle black and blue just in case.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Let's not forget that men also wore crop tops in the 90's.

It was not a good look.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
This discussion has been closed.