As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Electronic Shaving Machines

exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully EmployedNear Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
TL;DR: Any good electric shavers, or should I find a Mach 3 replacement?

Backstory: when I was around 15 I started growing facial hair. After a while I started looking homeless so my mom got me an electric shaver. I was like, cool I'm old enough to shave. However I always hated the fact that afterwards my face would feel like sand paper and my neck would be red and sore as hell. So when I was around 18 or 19 I ended up with a Mach 3 after trying 2 other electric shavers (yet they were all the same style: 3 rotating blade spinner thingies).

The first time I used the Mach 3 my face was so smooth it was like those commercials for that new shaving cream where the guy is talking and suddenly a chick is all over his face with her hands and lips right? It was that good.

Fast forward to today: I'm 21 years old and lately it's been real rough with the Mach 3. Now I know to replace the cartridges on a regular basis, but this happens even with fresh blades on there. I have to really shave against the grain to get my face smooth and when I do it on my neck I cut myself a lot, get ingrown hairs, red and sore as hell for a few hours at least. I also end up with a pimple outbreak everytime I shave after letting my facial hair grow for a few days or so. Especially on my chin. This drives me nuts. In the end my face still isn't as smooth as that one time I first used my Mach 3. Man! I also have a Schick Quattro, but I only used that a few times cause it really sucks. 4 blades are not really better than 3, they just make it harder to get my mustache and sideburns.

So what I am wondering is: are there ANY electric shavers that can give a nice shave and won't make my neck sore. I know there are types of electric shavers other than the aforementioned tri-head spinner thing. I particularly want to avoid those at all costs. Alternatively any suggestions for doing it right with my Mach 3 or similar non-electric razor?

1029386-1.png
SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
exoplasm on

• Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The thing about electric shavers is they are meant to provide a close looking shave, not a close feeling shave. If you are getting red and sore from one, you are using too much pressure.

stigweard on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't use very much pressure when I shave, electric or not. I'm paranoid about cutting my face above all else (well I protect my trouser snake and friends even more obviously). Which is why I usually don't get a good enough shave with my Mach 3 without fucking up and cutting myself.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    What kind of electric shaver were you using? I prefer blades now, but in terms of electrics Norelco tended to work pretty well for me, whereas Braun and Panasonic didn't.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I use the standard Norelco with the three heads, probably much like the ones you're talking about. It's okay as far as the "hey look, I shaved" for work, but I've yet to find an electric that will actually make your face feel smooth for the ladies...especially after about 2-3 hours.

Now, you've tried the Mach 3 (3 blades) and the Quattro (4 blades)...have you ever tried a decent 2-blade razor? I long ago left the Church of More Blades is Better, and realized I get a much better shave with a twin blade than with either of the aforementioned beasts. I find the Mach 3 is good when I've let my beard grow out a bit (it's like a goddamn machete, takes that thing out quickly), but even then a few hours later I usually follow up with a twin blade (or electric) if I can.

As far as general tips: less blades, take your time, and don't double stroke. It's not a race. You'll probably be surprised. Also, as far as ingrowns/pimples after shaving a thicker beard, I have the same problem, as do most guys I know. I think it's just one of those things...you gotta choose. Shave or be lazy. The constant transitions are not good at all.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I have no idea what brands the electric shavers I used were. I think most if not all of them were Norelco brand. All I know is they were the tri-head thingy and they all sucked terribly, especially on my neck.

Now that you mention two blades, mcdermott, I actually did use one once. My brother and I went on a company sponsored trip to CES in vegas (we only spent half our time at CES of course) and he had a bunch of disposable excels I think, whatever the name brand 2-blade razors were. He said he uses them all the time, not just when travelling. Since I was like Mr. Beardman at the time I didn't pack my shaving gear. I ended up deciding to shave before visiting the expo and those worked alright. I can't say it was spectacular or different from my Mach 3, but I only used it once.

I may look into getting a two bladed razor sometime.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    exoplasm wrote:
    I have no idea what brands the electric shavers I used were. I think most if not all of them were Norelco brand. All I know is they were the tri-head thingy and they all sucked terribly, especially on my neck.

Now that you mention two blades, mcdermott, I actually did use one once. My brother and I went on a company sponsored trip to CES in vegas (we only spent half our time at CES of course) and he had a bunch of disposable excels I think, whatever the name brand 2-blade razors were. He said he uses them all the time, not just when travelling. Since I was like Mr. Beardman at the time I didn't pack my shaving gear. I ended up deciding to shave before visiting the expo and those worked alright. I can't say it was spectacular or different from my Mach 3, but I only used it once.

I may look into getting a two bladed razor sometime.

Yeah, I believe that Gillette makes a disposable version of the Sensor Excels, but they're not quite as good as the "real" ones. They're generally what I use, and I've found that if I take my time I can actually do a better job with those (as far as smoothness goes) than with a Mach 3.

No guarantees, but something to try.

Also, I honestly doubt you're going to find an electric that you really like. I know I haven't. At best I've found some I can tolerate for the convenience they offer.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, I've never used an electric that shaved anywhere near as close as a blade. I used to use them because I had trouble with nicks and cuts, but after I started shaving my head I had to get good enough with a blade that it's a waste of time to shave my head and face in completely different ways.

I use a disposable two-bladed razor for my face. What kind of gel or cream or whatever do you use with your blade?

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    mcdermott wrote:
    and don't double stroke.

I've never quite understood this. I go over the same area with multiple strokes all the time, and never encountered any problems (at least that I can recall).

Andorien on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You get pimples and ingrowns due to the fact that you shave against the grain. Since I've given that vice up I've found that my face is dramatically better. Either shave with the grain, or at 90 degrees to it when you want to get super close, it makes shaving around the chin area a bitch but it does stop pimples and ingrowns.

Blake T on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Blaket wrote:
    You get pimples and ingrowns due to the fact that you shave against the grain. Since I've given that vice up I've found that my face is dramatically better. Either shave with the grain, or at 90 degrees to it when you want to get super close, it makes shaving around the chin area a bitch but it does stop pimples and ingrowns.

The problem with electric shavers isn't so much shaving against the grain but that their mechanisms pull and cut (and occasionally throw in a tesit for good measure). The reason you shave with the grain with a regular razor is because shaving against the grain will cut the hairs below your skin, resulting in ingrown hairs, infected pores and general irritation. Shaving with the grain prevents this. Electric razors, on the other hand, are vicious bastards that will pull and twist and push your hair in all sorts of directions no matter what direction you shave in, meaning that irritation is generally unavoidable.

Solution? Bin the electric razor, it's no good for you.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    TobyToby Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I have some cream I rub on before I shave that works great. You want 'sensitive facial wash' or something along those lines, if it's like mine it'll actually tell you on the back to use it before shaving.

I rub it all over then rinse it off with hot water, I hear this opens the pores or something, which apparently also helps. Then I just slap some regular shaving cream on and shave as normal - against the grain all the way. I use a Mach 3 Turbo and very rarely cut myself anymore.

Toby on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Toby wrote:
    I have some cream I rub on before I shave that works great. You want 'sensitive facial wash' or something along those lines, if it's like mine it'll actually tell you on the back to use it before shaving.

I rub it all over then rinse it off with hot water, I hear this opens the pores or something, which apparently also helps. Then I just slap some regular shaving cream on and shave as normal - against the grain all the way. I use a Mach 3 Turbo and very rarely cut myself anymore.

what is this face cream you speak of?

Sami on
  • Options
    TobyToby Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    200.jpg

That's the exact stuff I use, but I'm sure any brand will work. Click the picture for its page on some store website.

Toby on
  • Options
    headn00bheadn00b Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I use a Mach 3 while I'm in the shower. The hot water and steam makes for a much more comfortable shave. As Toby mentioned, it opens the pores. I also hve very few problems shaving against the grain this way.

headn00b on
    Your sig was too tall.

-Thinatos
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I said it in another shaving thread, and I'll say it again.

Make sure you vigorously wash (but not too hard) the parts of your face that you plan on shaving before you shave (According to my girlfriend, this would be known as exfoliation).

It clears up dead skin, and it is GUARANTEED to help clear up any irritation you encounter with the ol mach 3. Paired with a good shaving cream, you'll probably do better (bonus: exfoliation helps keep acne down too).

I hope that helps

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    I said it in another shaving thread, and I'll say it again.

Make sure you vigorously wash (but not too hard) the parts of your face that you plan on shaving before you shave (According to my girlfriend, this would be known as exfoliation).

It clears up dead skin, and it is GUARANTEED to help clear up any irritation you encounter with the ol mach 3. Paired with a good shaving cream, you'll probably do better (bonus: exfoliation helps keep acne down too).

I hope that helps

Washing your face with warm soapy water before shaving also preps the beard, softening it up and encouraging the hair to stand up so it cuts easier.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I used to shave every other day because shaving every day would give me more pimples and more irritation/cuts, but just recently I bought a mirror for the shower, and now I do it there. It's lovely; more comfortable, faster, and I seem to be getting a closer shave around my neck w/o any ingrowns. That's a mach 3 against the grain, mind.

I use a shaving cream before/during shaving, and after I get out of the shower I put on an after shave gel. Before I get started shaving, I wash my face with soap (dove, for the moisturizer). An electric won't get you consistently close.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast