As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Legion: I have sacrificed everything...

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Nobody wrote: »
    I love how everyone hates on BC questing, but I remember being blown away by the quests in BC and how much better they were than vanilla.

I have vivid memories of grinding ghosts at that goddamn lake in Wintergrasp from level 52 to 60 because I ran out of quests to do.

Oh, they were much better than Vanilla no doubt.

Vanilla got redone with Cataclysm though, and TBC still has some questionable quest rewards in it (agi plate) so it's now bottom of the heap.

I will say that the Draenei and BElf starter zones are still really good though.

I am not the hugest fan of Bloodmyst, but the other 3 are great... I felt like on the alliance side there was a big jump in fun between bc and wotlk, and another smaller one from cata up.

The main thing with bc questing is just they have a quest for every little critter running around... Theres just too much random crap, rather than focusing on a coherant zone narrative.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I love how everyone hates on BC questing, but I remember being blown away by the quests in BC and how much better they were than vanilla.

I have vivid memories of grinding ghosts at that goddamn lake in Wintergrasp from level 52 to 60 because I ran out of quests to do.

It was way better than Vanilla.

But that isn't saying much. Questing in Vanilla was downright horrid. I mean the best part of it back then was that quests simply existed. But they were organized like shit and the exp was not all that great, and they often ran out. And they were all very boring. There was no such thing as a fun quest, they almost always had stupid background behind them and were either loot 5-20% drop items or kill shit.

TBC at least started organizing sets of quests together, but until daily quests there were not too many new interesting styles. It was WOTLK that added those to regular questing and also had a huge upgrade in story and writing involved.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

It was way better than Vanilla.

But that isn't saying much. Questing in Vanilla was downright horrid. I mean the best part of it back then was that quests simply existed. But they were organized like shit and the exp was not all that great, and they often ran out. And they were all very boring. There was no such thing as a fun quest, they almost always had stupid background behind them and were either loot 5-20% drop items or kill shit.

TBC at least started organizing sets of quests together, but until daily quests there were not too many new interesting styles. It was WOTLK that added those to regular questing and also had a huge upgrade in story and writing involved.

My worst memories of Vanilla were of being L43 or so in Feralas, running halfway across the map every time I needed to turn a quest in, and eventually just breaking down and grinding out to L48 or something via killing some ogres over and over again. After that, I was back to the Eastern Kingdoms, especially the Plaguelands, for the final few levels to L60.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    My favourite vanilla memory was being 45ish in the hinterlands. A horde druid was toying with me slowly killing me and dancing on my corpse. So I get back to my body, res, bandage.

They jump out from around a corner and start dancing in my face. I use the Gnomish Death Ray and it eats most of my health as it channels.

It crits this fuckin' druid for like 8k and instantly kills them.

Never saw them again.

• Options
    My favorite is still how I drowned a level 60 rogue who was trying to kill me on my warlock.

Water breathing and chain fear. I lured him down there because he just HAD to chase that level 40 warlock to the ends of the earth. After he realized he had been down there a little too long I was able to chain fear him and oops you dead.

Also when I originally leveled my priest as shadow back then, I had a great memory in Gadgetzan of random pvp happening. I managed to somehow fish out two rogues ganking people from stealth with a well placed psychic scream and kill them both because shadow priest was silly good in pvp at that point.

I always grinded out moonkin in WG because not only was there a lack of quests, but I felt it was faster than doing any of those horrible quests anyway. Also I liked grinding.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I got Loremaster back during Wrath.

with Vanilla quests. I'm still annoyed there's not a different title or something for doing it nowadays. Tracking down all those quests suuuuucked.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    My vanilla warrior and SP hit 60 grinding out runecloth for bandages in azsuna . As for old pvp memories the instant your first character went to southshore/hillsbrad or STV welcome to the jungle would start playing and you would be thrown into this giant gang war . Was really disorienting the first time , was like you went from wow to a fantasy world war 3.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    The problem with starting a new character to get the other sides 'experience' is that they have sped leveling up so much that you never get through all the story content before greying out the zone.

Blizzard should really come up with a streamlined quest trail someone can take to experience the leveling up 'storyline' from vanilla to current.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Question for the Herbism crowd.

When you get your StarLight Rose, what stacks sell better?

Like on my server, I see that the 200 Stack is going for like 32k, but I can't believe someone would drop that much on it.

160 per rose isn't outrageous. They are generally used in stacks of 3-7; but people don't tend to buy just enough for 1-2 potions/flasks. I could be projecting on that slightly.

I'm more frustrated by the douchenozzles selling 111 1-stacks to try to wall off the default AH interface; because the default UI is a steaming piece of dog crap.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    I had to buy a leveling guide to finish questing in Vanilla. And that $20 was fucking WORTH it. I remember printing that bad boy out.

And thanks to everyone who came out yesterday. Our guild is alliance on hyjal and thanks to flex raiding we can pretty much take anyone. We raid Wednesdays at 9EST-12EST. We're going to nail down a sunday time but right now it's looking like 8pm. We killed wormie, ursoc, dragons, and spidergirl. We're gonna try to figure out the rest on sunday.

Again my realid is holyground#1665. Feel free to add me. message me when I'm on and I'll try to put together some mythic runs, too. I feel like veryone should run at least one mythic+ per week. so if it's monday and you haven't, look me up.

Also, whichever druid was a fucking lucksack. an 895 relic and like 4 other epics.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I remember going to the badlands and grinding rock elementals for a week so I could save up the 90 gold to get my mount at level 40. My 60% mount.

• Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    The problem with starting a new character to get the other sides 'experience' is that they have sped leveling up so much that you never get through all the story content before greying out the zone.

Blizzard should really come up with a streamlined quest trail someone can take to experience the leveling up 'storyline' from vanilla to current.

There's apparently discussions happening about giving the whole game the "Legion Questing Experience" treatment, in that everything will just scale with you as you level up.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I had to buy a leveling guide to finish questing in Vanilla. And that $20 was fucking WORTH it. I remember printing that bad boy out.

And thanks to everyone who came out yesterday. Our guild is alliance on hyjal and thanks to flex raiding we can pretty much take anyone. We raid Wednesdays at 9EST-12EST. We're going to nail down a sunday time but right now it's looking like 8pm. We killed wormie, ursoc, dragons, and spidergirl. We're gonna try to figure out the rest on sunday.

Again my realid is holyground#1665. Feel free to add me. message me when I'm on and I'll try to put together some mythic runs, too. I feel like veryone should run at least one mythic+ per week. so if it's monday and you haven't, look me up.

Also, whichever druid was a fucking lucksack. an 895 relic and like 4 other epics.

That was me, yes, shower me with your hatred. I relish it.

My druid's name is Begginstripz because I love being Salty Begginstripz. Normally I would be some variant of Spawnbroker, but this one was too good to pass up.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

Like on my server, I see that the 200 Stack is going for like 32k, but I can't believe someone would drop that much on it.

160 per rose isn't outrageous. They are generally used in stacks of 3-7; but people don't tend to buy just enough for 1-2 potions/flasks. I could be projecting on that slightly.

I'm more frustrated by the douchenozzles selling 111 1-stacks to try to wall off the default AH interface; because the default UI is a steaming piece of dog crap.

It is such a monster pain in the ass trying to use the auction house without an addon.

• Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »

It is such a monster pain in the ass trying to use the auction house without an addon.

There's a change coming in that lets you sort by price per item, but I don't think that's going to help much when the hundreds of single item auctions are all the lowest >< Here's hoping the changes coming go a step further and group items together that are the same prices.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    First Legendary dropped, that piece of shit neck with the shield and useless stats for my Ret paladin. Womp womp!

I believe the million 1 item stacks is people fucking up using Auctionator.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Even the shittiest legendary (the ability it grants you i mean) still has the stats to be BiS you know. Stop complaining :P

• Options
    I'll take a shitty legendary at this point, I ain't picky

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    My favorite memory from vanilla was getting chased by a mage on my lowbie paladin in tanaris, and I run towards ungoro crater.

I leap off trying to get away from him (he's level 59 or 60 and I'm like low 50s). I leap, so does he, but he's too busy trying to kill me to figure out what I'm trying to do.

I'm at like maybe 10% health as he's neck and neck with me as we fall. I estimate I'm high enough to put my plan into motion. I stun him.

And then I bubble.

And we hit the ground.

He hadn't hit slowfall yet.

He died.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I got Loremaster back during Wrath.

with Vanilla quests. I'm still annoyed there's not a different title or something for doing it nowadays. Tracking down all those quests suuuuucked.

Yeah, getting the Loremaster's Tabard back then was one of my biggest WoW achievements.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    Yeah, that shitty neck is my legendary, I quite like it though and I have no complaints. @belligerent, thanks for having me last night, it was a good time.

Protip guys, don't die and kill the boss.

• Options
    best vanilla memory was a priest who was trying to escape a failed gank attempt by jumping off a bridge with levitate.
    Silly priest, shamans have purge!

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    There's precisely one legendary that has a good proc for vengeance, and the rest are kind of bunk

(I thought it was two, until I noticed that the DR on immolation aura only reduced magic damage instead of all damage

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Favorite Vanilla Memory:

Tanking ST as an Enh. Shaman because Alchemy was stupid OP and you could have all of the elixir effects on at the same time. I'm trying to remember how I kept agro, and I don't think we were able to finish the last boss and needed a real tank for that.

E:

Second Favorite Pre-Vanilla Memory:

When warlock hellfire was first introduced, the void walker sacrifice was complete damage immunity and not just absorb to a certain level, so with the way the timing worked I only took one/two 'ticks' of hellfire damage out of eight.

Good times. Good times.

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    I miss hellfire. Nefarions Lair...all that trash in the 'trap' area... it was the warlocks job to explode and I was damn happy to.

• Options
    Favorite Vanilla Memory:

Tanking ST as an Enh. Shaman because Alchemy was stupid OP and you could have all of the elixir effects on at the same time. I'm trying to remember how I kept agro, and I don't think we were able to finish the last boss and needed a real tank for that.

E:

When warlock hellfire was first introduced, the void walker sacrifice was complete damage immunity and not just absorb to a certain level, so with the way the timing worked I only took one/two 'ticks' of hellfire damage out of eight.

Good times. Good times.

IIRC Rockbiter had a threat component on it...

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Favorite Vanilla Memory:

E:

Good times. Good times.

And one of the shocks had a hefty threat bonus (think it was earth).

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Favorite Vanilla Memory:

E:

Good times. Good times.

Ah yes, this is how. It was the shock. Frequent enough in rotation, and if something peeled off for the healer I could get it back.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    I miss hellfire. Nefarions Lair...all that trash in the 'trap' area... it was the warlocks job to explode and I was damn happy to.

Then they forced us to wand damage all the drake bosses.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

My favorite memory of Vanilla was walking into a raid for the first time (I had barely done dungeons to that point), and getting the server first kill of Ragnaros.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    My favorite memory of Vanilla was walking through the Dark Portal and never going back.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    getting everything set up before the hurricane hits, making sure to log in to get my Artifact Knowledge picked up and another one started, just in case the internet/electricity/house is gone for a few days. PRIORITIES!

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    get some phone chargers so you can run missions on the app too!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Favorite Vanilla Memory:

E:

Good times. Good times.

Well into BC too.

I remember a full T5 geared shaman tanking heroics.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    You guys are triggering the hell out of me calling winterspring wintergrasp, and azshara azsuna.

I miss how it was perfectly acceptable to not rush to max level. Also that the damage and stat scaling wasnt so out of control that people +/- 5 levels of each other could have an evenish fight.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    You guys are triggering the hell out of me calling winterspring wintergrasp, and azshara azsuna.

I miss how it was perfectly acceptable to not rush to max level. Also that the damage and stat scaling wasnt so out of control that people +/- 5 levels of each other could have an evenish fight.

Bahahaha I totally missed that I did that

Then I realized that the reason I forgot the name is because that was over 10 years ago

Fuck I'm getting old

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    getting everything set up before the hurricane hits, making sure to log in to get my Artifact Knowledge picked up and another one started, just in case the internet/electricity/house is gone for a few days. PRIORITIES!
    #stormbros :bro:

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

Then I realized that the reason I forgot the name is because that was over 10 years ago

Fuck I'm getting old

Lol im getting older too. Vanilla and tbc was my jam though, i could probably still do all the old vanilla quests without the stupid quest tracker. It was the ignorant glory days, before ilvl/gearscore and min/maxing destroyed the community of the game. Wotlk might have had some really good raids, but it was such a step back in so many ways. It was the first time I took a break from the game because I hated it.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    So, how different is the horde vs alliance regarding questing, especially in WOD+legion, but also in legacy content? I have gone through everything (like literally from level one) questing up as an alliance char, and am wondering whether it is worth going over as horde or if I should just use my boost. I was thinking though that there was some suff at least in wrath of the lich king and warlords of draenor thay might be intereating to see from the other side.

Depends on zone and quests. Some quests, especially for neutral factions, are exactly the same. Some have a different flavoring (i.e. Ally quest wants the boar eyes, while horde quest wants boar butts, but you are still grinding boars). Some are completely unique. Generally the lvl 1 - 10, and 10 - 20 zones are completely unique. Then, 20 to 60 are mostly unique, especially if you avoid neutral factions and areas they hang out at (i.e. if you quest for the Argent Dawn in plaguelands it's exact same quests). 60 to 70 are mostly different flavoring, with some unique, avoid neutrals if you can. Similarly for 70 - 80, 80 - 85, 85 - 90, 90 - 100. Since areas are generally more unique than others, especially the starting bits when you first get there (i.e. Twilight Highlands first third is unique). At 90, starting zone of Draenor is fully unique. As far as i know, 100 - 110, only uniques would be on Stormheim (Sylvanas vs Graymane conflict), but i don't know for sure yet, only leveled main past 100 so far.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

Fuck I'm getting old

Lol im getting older too. Vanilla and tbc was my jam though, i could probably still do all the old vanilla quests without the stupid quest tracker. It was the ignorant glory days, before ilvl/gearscore and min/maxing destroyed the community of the game. Wotlk might have had some really good raids, but it was such a step back in so many ways. It was the first time I took a break from the game because I hated it.

Jesus Christ I knew the names seemed different but I never looked into it because I thought I was crazy. In my defense I stopped after bc and didn't come back till mop.

This discussion has been closed.