As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] — Thopters and Servos and Gearhulks, oh my!

19495969798100»

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    They've started killing a lot of the old Canon. Plus, characters visiting in stories is probably all the Kamigawa we'll ever get, so giving the players who really want it a way to see it from time to time is good.

We got a couple of brief glimpses of Kamigawa in the last Planechase set. Not unreasonable to think they'd stuff the occasional card from there in the yearly non-standard releases as the situation arises.

But yeah an entire block is probably never going to be set there again.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    that was a good story. I love you Ajani

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Return to Domigawa Masques

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Return to Domigawa Masqwyn

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    return and face the strange (ch-ch-chaaaaanges)

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Wasn't there an enchantment or artifact pr something that let you sacrifice a creature to make X artifact tokens? X = creatures power?

Was thinking that could set up a helluva loop with Metalwork Colossus

Not that I can find. A search for "sacrifice + create + artifact (- investigate)" didn't turn up anything along those lines.

transmute artifact?

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Klendy wrote: »
    Wasn't there an enchantment or artifact pr something that let you sacrifice a creature to make X artifact tokens? X = creatures power?

Was thinking that could set up a helluva loop with Metalwork Colossus

Not that I can find. A search for "sacrifice + create + artifact (- investigate)" didn't turn up anything along those lines.

transmute artifact?

Does not create tokens? (Or have the word "create" anywhere on it.)

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Dumb idea I got looking through a ton of standard cards (thanks to the "MTG unofficial" mobile app for the best deckbuilder I've seen yet):

mono white delirium with a wincon of bruna->flicker angel->repeat ad nauseum

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Ad nauseum is not in standard

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I don't know if you're doing a thing, Tommy, but ad nauseum was a phrase long before it was a Magic card.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I need a "boo, get off the stage" reaction button with a little image of a cane yanking a stick figure.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I don't know if you're doing a thing, Tommy, but ad nauseum was a phrase long before it was a Magic card.

I'm pretty sure they're just doing a thing

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Dumb idea I got looking through a ton of standard cards (thanks to the "MTG unofficial" mobile app for the best deckbuilder I've seen yet):

Bruna only rezzes an Angel/Human when you cast her, not when she ETBs.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

Bruna only rezzes an Angel/Human when you cast her, not when she ETBs.

booooooo

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Can panharnomicon cause etb effects to trigger twice? The way it reads to me is it only works on permanents already in play.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Can panharnomicon cause etb effects to trigger twice? The way it reads to me is it only works on permanents already in play.

Yes. Any creature with an ETB trigger is on the battlefield when it triggers.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2016

By the time the ETB triggers, the object in question is already on the battlefield, so yes. Heck, Panharmonicon itself can cause things to trigger twice.

You seem to be confusing ETB triggers with replacement effects like "enters the battlefield tapped".

First ruling in Gatherer/Release notes:
    Panharmonicon affects an artifact or creature’s own enters-the-battlefield triggered abilities as well as other triggered abilities that would trigger when an artifact or creature enters the battlefield. Such triggered abilities start with “when” or “whenever.”

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular

By the time the ETB triggers, the object in question is already on the battlefield, so yes. Heck, Panharmonicon itself can cause things to trigger twice.

You seem to be confusing ETB triggers with replacement effects like "enters the battlefield tapped".

First ruling in Gatherer/Release notes:
    Panharmonicon affects an artifact or creature’s own enters-the-battlefield triggered abilities as well as other triggered abilities that would trigger when an artifact or creature enters the battlefield. Such triggered abilities start with “when” or “whenever.”

No, the confusion wasn't for card entering tapped. I was confused because it seem like it only triggered on permanent already play to activate due to something entering play.

For some reason I was also confusing ETB effects.

Either way it is going into my Meren deck now.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Either way it is going into my Meren deck now.

Yeah that thing is going to be ubiquitous in most commander decks. Not all (my enchantment-based decks are rather unhappy with it, for instance), but a vast majority.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

[/quote]

Good point - when you have a Contraband Kingpin and play a Panharmonicon, you gain 2 life.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    KalTorak wrote: »

Good point - when you have a Contraband Kingpin and play a Panharmonicon, you gain 2 life.

More accurately, you gain 1 life twice. Some effects (like Karlov, Ajani's Pridemate, or Archangel of Thune) care about instances of life gain and not the actual quantity.

EDIT: If Contraband Kingpin's trigger gained you life, anyway. :bzz:

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I haven't been to play at my LGS in a while because of the new house. They're making it very hard to stay away.

fQ2cvYV.jpg

KalTorak on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Caleb Sherer just shared his improved version of Storm.

God I hope its good.

http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/243631

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Aw dangit

I went to listen to the new Limited Resources to hear their hot takes on Kaladesh

apparently Midnight Oil is actually good, and even first pickable

Guess who had one pack one last week and didn't first pick it

magic you are so hard to understand

• Options
    edited October 2016
    ...apparently one of the dice I got from my two kaladesh prepacs is an M14 die?

I only own 3 D20s, all of which I got that day, and the third just has a '20' on it. Weird. The other has the Kaladesh symbol as expected.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    Aw dangit

I went to listen to the new Limited Resources to hear their hot takes on Kaladesh

apparently Midnight Oil is actually good, and even first pickable

Guess who had one pack one last week and didn't first pick it

magic you are so hard to understand

I mean,... what did you take instead? Cause it might still have been the right call.

This discussion has been closed.