As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Gaming Monitor - What's "Good" Nowadays?

HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
So last time I bought a monitor, LED backlit monitors were just becoming a thing. I have a Samsung SA350 24" monitor. It's served me well, but I've noticed some dimness issues, some screen tearing, and a couple other things that don't appear to be related to my video card.

So I'm in the market for a nice new gaming monitor. Big screen, crisp picture, nice resolution. Budget is up to $1000 (just to see what's out there). What's good nowadays? Should I go with a 4k? 30" or bigger?

Mostly use my home computer for gaming (While I play some action-y games like Dark Souls 3, I don't play a lot of FPS games...mostly slower stuff like Civ or RPGs). Also watch movies on it from time to time.

Current Specs:

Intel i5-6600 3.3GHz
Geforce GTX 980 Ti
16gb Ram

camo_sig2.png

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    When I was shopping for a monitor, I liked reading 144hzmonitors's recommendations. At $1000, I think the only ones out of reach are the top-rated Ultrawide G-Sync screens: the Acer Predator Z35 (barely), their Predator X34, and the ASUS PG348Q.

Personally, since my computer was intended primarily for VR I ended up getting a budget Acer monitor for sub-$300. I don't like Acers now, actually, because mine has a 12 second splash screen every time I turn it on, but when I complained about it on the Acer forum they said that in response to customer feedback they were removing this from new monitors and were going to release a firmware update to get rid of it on existing screens. Hasn't happened yet, though.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    When I was shopping for a monitor, I liked reading 144hzmonitors's recommendations. At $1000, I think the only ones out of reach are the top-rated Ultrawide G-Sync screens: the Acer Predator Z35 (barely), their Predator X34, and the ASUS PG348Q.

Personally, since my computer was intended primarily for VR I ended up getting a budget Acer monitor for sub-$300. I don't like Acers now, actually, because mine has a 12 second splash screen every time I turn it on, but when I complained about it on the Acer forum they said that in response to customer feedback they were removing this from new monitors and were going to release a firmware update to get rid of it on existing screens. Hasn't happened yet, though.

Thanks for that link. The main thing I don't understand is what are the differences in some of the options out there? Do I need 4k? 1440p? What does G-sync mean?

camo_sig2.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »

Thanks for that link. The main thing I don't understand is what are the differences in some of the options out there? Do I need 4k? 1440p? What does G-sync mean?

G-sync is Nvidia's solution to screen tearing. The short version is that Nvidia has a board that changes the refresh rate on the monitor itself to match the frame-rate of what your card is pumping out.

FreeSync is AMD's version...but is supposed to be baked in with DisplayPort 1.2a standard (as opposed to being proprietary add-in tech supplied by Nvidia).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Got it, that makes sense. What about 4k versus other resolutions like 1440p?

camo_sig2.png
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    From what I've read, 4K isn't really for gaming yet (and you'd probably need a new video card if you went that route), although it can be handy for productivity and video work if you do a lot of non-gaming on your computer. Generally, I gather that 1440p is fine for gaming in the near future, and that it's better to lean into high refresh rates, even for games that aren't hypercompetitive FPSes.

People like G-Sync/Freesync a lot. Since you have an Nvidia card that means going with the G-Sync monitors (which are more expensive than their AMD-compatible counterparts, boo).

What about IPS or TN? I don't quite get the difference.

Thanks for everybody's replies. Very helpful!

camo_sig2.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    IPS gives better contrast and colors but trend to be slower and pricey. TN don't give a good as picture but tend to be cheaper and faster.

Is there a general preference in the gaming world?

camo_sig2.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    You can have the best of all worlds of you have the money.

I guess that would depend how much something like that costs. But if money were an issue, is there general consensus on which is better?

camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2016
    I guess that would depend how much something like that costs. But if money were an issue, is there general consensus on which is better?

It all depends on who you ask. Bearing in mind that I went with a 1080p monitor, for me, the hierarchy goes something like this: G-sync > Price(TN) > 1440p resolution > IPS (so, for me, I'd say 1440p + G-sync is worth sacrificing an IPS panel)

Ask other people, and they'll probably say 1440p > G-Sync > IPS > Price(TN)

(and yes, I'm linking TN with price in that hierarchy chain)

EDIT - in summary, you can have 1440p and G-Sync at a decent price...you can have 1440p and IPS at a decent price...but it's combining all three where you really see the escalation in price.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    If I want to buy a monitor right now I would get this

http://www.microcenter.com/product/460009/Predator_XB271HU_27_WQHD_IPS_G-Sync_Display_Monitor

But seeing how we're so close to January and HDR, OLED, and QLED is becoming a thing I'm going to hold out and not dump $750 on my Amazon prime card.

Seems like this is coming up as the most recommended monitor if you want all three (IPS, G-Sync and 1440p). Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB321HK-bmiphz-Widescreen/dp/B01A3N60A2

camo_sig2.png
    That's a huge monitor...

Yes indeed it is.

camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2016
    Being only 60hz hurts it (heh), though. After using 144hz, I have a hard time going back to 60.

Erlkönig on
    Supposedly people overclock it to 100hz. But yeah, definitely something to consider.

camo_sig2.png
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Supposedly people overclock it to 100hz. But yeah, definitely something to consider.

I'd hope so cause gsync with 60hz is useless

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    I also wouldn't count on being able to overclock the monitor you purchased. Sometimes you just lose the silicon lotto.

Soooo...any oyher suggestions then?

camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2016

I'd say either:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004
    with
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260333 as the third-runner up for if you want to reallocate $100 for other components

Erlkönig on
    Thanks for those suggestions. It seems like it's hard to find a monitor with a good refresh rate above 27". I had my heart set on something a bit bigger, but I may need to re-evaluate.

camo_sig2.png
    That's actually the one I ended up buying today.

As for it being too big...maybe. But then again, I remember 24" seeming huge 5 years ago. Thankfully I also got a chance to play around with a 32" monitor yesterday and it felt about right for what I was looking for.

camo_sig2.png
    Heh...I would never try to dissuade anybody away from 32" on the grounds that 32" might be too big. If money were no object, I'd definitely be looking at a pair of 32" screens (hazards of GIS drafting).

A pair of 32" screens ?! Where's the space on the desk?!

A pair of 32" screens ?! Where's the space on the desk?!

Desk? I got a wall that's the perfect distance from me (doubly so if I had a hybrid seated/standing desk).

Pictures when you make it happen!

Unfortunately, money is an object for me at this time (hydrology studies are winding down for me in Alaska this time of year since our studies, y'know, require liquid water). As it is, I have to settle for a pair of 27s >.<

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Yes indeed it is.

I have a new 34" ultra-widescreen. It looks huge at first, but you get used to the size very quickly.

And movies and games look amazing.

Just wanted to follow up on this.

Before:
    28igopqt1keq.jpg

After:

s29s4ro1mybn.jpg

camo_sig2.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    gaming on an angle like that weirds me out

• xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    I have one X34 Predaor and 3 Predator XB1's from Acer. I have found them to be quite solid and haven't encountered any issues. Decisions to consider is do you want G-Sync? If so you are kind locked into Nvidia GPU's. TN or IPS? TN is great for gaming but not so great for prosumer work.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I'd say either:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004
    with
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260333 as the third-runner up for if you want to reallocate $100 for other components

Sounds like you already pulled the trigger, but I just wanted to chime in to second Erlkönig. I went down the monitor upgrade research hole recently, and ended up deciding I wanted 27", 144Hz and G-sync. With those criteria, these three monitors are really it.

I ended up trucking up to a Microcenter to try to get a look at some of these in action. Unfortunately, they have them hooked up to umpressive machines with nothing that really puts G-sync through its paces. The sales guy let me download the Nvidia G-sync utility (a great pendulum swinging back and forth), but since the GPUs on these machines were nothing special, it was hard to tell what the price premium would get beyond a nice picture you could get on a $200 screen.

As it turns out, the Dell had been discontinued at Microcenter, so I offered them $400 for the floor model and walked out with it boxless. Bit of a gamble. We'll see how it goes. (Unfortunately I then had to head out of town for a week, so it's sitting here behind me unconnected. Soon, my darling, soon....)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Anyone still eyeing the Dell S2716DG, Best Buy's got it for $480 with free shipping.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I was looking at that one, and how people said that the color calibration isn't bad when using profiles published on the internet. But I think with Black Friday just around the corner, I'm going to wait and see what deals come up then.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    how big is that fucking desk for that huge monitor to look so tiny in the corner there. jesus.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Anyone still eyeing the Dell S2716DG, Best Buy's got it for $480 with free shipping.

That's an amazing deal. I love this monitor...

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

How are the viewing angles? I know that TN panels get a bad rap for angles.

Simpsonia wrote: »

How are the viewing angles? I know that TN panels get a bad rap for angles.

Hasn'the been an issue for me sitting at my desk or watching my son play Civ VI over his shoulder.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.