Options

[3rd Presidential Debate]: Election Dragon Hungers: With A Vengeance (9pm EST)

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

This is gibberish on several levels. Kudos to Trump for managing that in only a few characters.

Is he talking about last night's debate? Is he actually accusing Wallace of being secretly helping Clinton??

sig.gif
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Doesn't even matter since they get off topic so fast

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

This is gibberish on several levels. Kudos to Trump for managing that in only a few characters.

Is he talking about last night's debate? Is he actually accusing Wallace of being secretly helping Clinton??

Let us assume for a moment she did secretly get the debate questions. It is completely ridiculous, of course, but let's run with it. Why would she have announced it? Like, in what world where Clinton - or anyone - who is colluding with the media would they just go "Oh, by the way, this is all a conspiracy to get me elected?"

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

Let us assume for a moment she did secretly get the debate questions. It is completely ridiculous, of course, but let's run with it. Why would she have announced it? Like, in what world where Clinton - or anyone - who is colluding with the media would they just go "Oh, by the way, this is all a conspiracy to get me elected?"

Trump announces all his "secret" plans days in advance, so perhaps he thinks she would?

• Options
    Tomanta wrote: »

Trump announces all his "secret" plans days in advance, so perhaps he thinks she would?

He announces all his secret plans, but keeps his public plans (like his policy positions or projected budget or how he'll get Mexico to pay for that wall) secret. It's unconventional, you gotta admit!

sig.gif
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    who the fuck spends that much for fucking frozen steaks

Apparently not many people given the "success" of trump steaks.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I am pleased to have called that literally nothing mattered except the concession blunder and a side dish of nasty woman.

I do wish "we raised an American flag" could become a thing.

This election is ooooooooooover. But go vote. Vote hard. Vote like 20 times too of course *wink wink*

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Kaputa wrote: »
    What is Radical Islam? Osama Bin Laden? Ayatollah Khamenei? Sufi mystics?

Rj7lilG.jpg

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I wanna play the late '80s game version of that now. Islamic Games, by Epyx.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Well I predicted that Clinton would "lose" on a technicality last night, but she was in her usual fighting form and I think made the fiercest and strongest case for her presidency we've yet heard.

I'm glad to have been wrong. She has potential to be one of the great presidents of this country. Extremely proud of her and to vote for her.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

Rj7lilG.jpg

Caught in sectarian conflict with Gnarly Islam

Although it's nothing to the raging war between Tubular and Bodacious Christianity

• Options
    Thirith wrote: »

Select your player:
    - Radical Rasha
    - Awesome Abdul
    - Excellent Emir

sig.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »

You could pretend Ninja Master stars a woman wearing a niqab.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    huh? what?

I missed some context?

did I do something like that before?

Crap, no, that was Haks' thing. My mistake.

Bitchsplainin is copyright me. If you're gonna use it you gotta pay up.

And needless to say, if you ain't a lady, you're probably not using it right

Wait, could you somehow elaborate on it's correct usage in some way?

lol its just some tongue in cheek i've said when i'm making some long effortpost that ends up being a patronizing basic poli sci 101 lecture about how we have three branches of government

Yeah, it was something Haks said that made me laugh way too hard, I thought I'd throw back to it, and conflated her and LA as I was posting.

My bad, I apologize for the confusion, and certainly didn't intend any offense.

So I've been feeling bad for weeks because I kept confusing those two. Both have great posts and I kept messing them up in my head because their avatars were basically brown haired women. I always enjoy reading their posts because they add very much to the threads (in particular Hak's sass and LH's democrat's abroad updates). But until she switched her avatar, I could not tell them apart at times.

I'm a terrible white guy for this. Sorry.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

Rj7lilG.jpg

It'd be a funny play if it was just traditional Muslim garb in extreme sports. But it involves a suicide belt in panel 2, suggesting that it's difficult to effectively portray the joke without invoking suicide bombers.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    huh? what?

I missed some context?

lol its just some tongue in cheek i've said when i'm making some long effortpost that ends up being a patronizing basic poli sci 101 lecture about how we have three branches of government

Yeah, it was something Haks said that made me laugh way too hard, I thought I'd throw back to it, and conflated her and LA as I was posting.

So I've been feeling bad for weeks because I kept confusing those two. Both have great posts and I kept messing them up in my head because their avatars were basically brown haired women. I always enjoy reading their posts because they add very much to the threads (in particular Hak's sass and LH's democrat's abroad updates). But until she switched her avatar, I could not tell them apart at times.

Agree for terrible white guy, smh

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    huh? what?

I missed some context?

As a white guy

It's kind of a redundant phrase tbh

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    huh? what?

I missed some context?

As a white guy

I realize that you're half-joking. I don't actually disagree with you, as a white guy myself. White guys, throughout history, have and continue to be, on the whole, kinda terrible.

I'm still sad that my son, who has never participated in any of these crimes, is growing up in a world where he is increasingly going to be derided for his gender and the color of his skin. On the whole, yes, this is a pendulum of retribution a long time coming, but I don't have to like it that my son is increasingly made out to be the villain, the moron, the goofy uncool dude in every commercial on TV, because our fathers and grandfathers were dicks.

Houn on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Trump's superpower is the uncanny ability to announce grandiose, expensive ventures and then make mind-bogglingly stupid decisions that crater the whole thing but somehow position himself so he's personally insulated against the inevitable catastrophe. He can then claim his quite-obvious failure was really a success and move on to the next scheme.

It's like a Xanatos Gambit minus the actual competence.

Can I just say the existence of the phrase Xanatos Gambit, and the fact that people know what it means just makes my nerd heart happy.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Most importantly, not a single fucking mention of the environment (or climate change, if we want to narrow our focus that way). Have we just given up? Have we just accepted the fact that we're fucked and decided to live it up at the expense of our children and grandchildren?

There wasn't one from Wallace but
    Clinton: Well I think the middle class thrives, America thrives. So my plan is based on growing the economy, giving middle class families many more opportunities. I want us to have the biggest jobs program since World War II. Jobs in infrastructure and advanced manufacturing. I think we can compete with high wage countries and I believe we should. New jobs in clean energy. Not only to fight climate change, which is a serious problem but to create new opportunities and new businesses. I want us to do more to help small business, that’s where two-thirds of the new jobs are going to come from. I want to us raise the national minimum wage because people who work full time should not still be in poverty. And I sure do want to make sure women get equal pay for the work we do. I feel strongly that we have to have an education system that starts with preschool and goes through college.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    didn't manage to catch this one live. Worth a watch?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

besides some key moments that you could easily find clips for, nah. it was basically the same as the others although you could argue they're both incrementally better each time they go out.

I, and 538 and some other posters, thought this was good (I'd say the best) moderating but I don't think that's a reason to watch.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options

Not for the entertainment value like the first one, but for the historic value of seeing the first time a US presidential candidate refused to accept the result of an election he'll lose.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »

besides some key moments that you could easily find clips for, nah. it was basically the same as the others although you could argue they're both incrementally better each time they go out.

I, and 538 and some other posters, thought this was good (I'd say the best) moderating but I don't think that's a reason to watch.

Seriously? I personally thought it was the worst moderated one of the three.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

Most in control of the crowd, fewest interruptions (I think) from the two candidates (but that shouldn't really be a point in his favor so much as the two of them behaving better), but most obvious bias and leading/unfair questions.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    huh? what?

I missed some context?

As a white guy

I realize that you're half-joking. I don't actually disagree with you, as a white guy myself. White guys, throughout history, have and continue to be, on the whole, kinda terrible.

I'm still sad that my son, who has never participated in any of these crimes, is growing up in a world where he is increasingly going to be derided for his gender and the color of his skin. On the whole, yes, this is a pendulum of retribution a long time coming, but I don't have to like it that my son is increasingly made out to be the villain, the moron, the goofy uncool dude in every commercial on TV, because our fathers and grandfathers were dicks.

It's only because of white guys today that Trump made it this far

And I have two sons, so I get that you don't want them generalized into being part of the problem

But it's my job as a parent to teach them that historically, we have been, so that they aren't

I refuse to make excuses for the terrible people that put us where we are or #notallwhiteguys just because I am one

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Most in control of the crowd, fewest interruptions (I think) from the two candidates (but that shouldn't really be a point in his favor so much as the two of them behaving better), but most obvious bias and leading/unfair questions.

Trump had by far more interruptions in the 3rd debate than the other two according to 538's method of counting.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    huh? what?

I missed some context?

As a white guy

I have a white son, too. And nothing he experiences will ever be on the level that my sister, or even my friend @MayGodHaveMercy have experienced.

Yeah, unpacking white privileged is going to be painful for our progeny. But we're at least aware enough of it to help them to not become like Trump's children, while also allowing them to show their worth.

And fuck me sideways if I'll ever spell privilege correctly.

• Options

Early vote up substantially in Florida but no glaring trends I guess except unaffiliated votes (and no idea who that helps) .

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options

Interestingly, I also felt like there were fewer candidate interruptions this time, but 538 disagrees with us. And if controlling candidate interruptions is not really a point in his favour, I don't see how crowd control can be. It's not like Wallace had any control on the crowd. He just happened to have lucked out and gotten a more tame crowd.

I do wish they gave us a final tally of how much time each candidate spoke for, like they did in the second debate. Because it definitely felt, to me, that Trump got to speak more this time around. And Wallace kept cutting Clinton in the middle of her answers to give the floor back to Trump.

Add to that the obvious bias and leading/unfair questions, as you said, and we're not left with much to praise him on.

For moderation, I'd rate 2nd, 1st, 3rd.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I'd have to go back and watch the last podcast again, but the Keepin' it 1600 crew thought all the moderators were fine.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

People have been asking her the same questions all season long. Didn't take a genius to think about which ones Fox might pick.

Artereis on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    huh? what?

I missed some context?

As a white guy

It's only because of white guys today that Trump made it this far

And I have two sons, so I get that you don't want them generalized into being part of the problem

But it's my job as a parent to teach them that historically, we have been, so that they aren't

I refuse to make excuses for the terrible people that put us where we are or #notallwhiteguys just because I am one
    huh? what?

I missed some context?

As a white guy

I have a white son, too. And nothing he experiences will ever be on the level that my sister, or even my friend @MayGodHaveMercy have experienced.

Yeah, unpacking white privileged is going to be painful for our progeny. But we're at least aware enough of it to help them to not become like Trump's children, while also allowing them to show their worth.

And fuck me sideways if I'll ever spell privilege correctly.

You both misunderstand me. I'm not hashtag-shitmovementing here. I'm not arguing in favor of retaining white male privilege. What is going to happen is both inevitable and necessary, and I am not going to stand in it's way. I am going to continue to teach them to treat everyone with respect and equality, and vote for politicians that will legislate the same.

It's still shitty and fucked up that my son is going to become the scapegoat at the bottom of the social order so that my daughter can get treated more fairly by society.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    PantsB wrote: »

Early vote up substantially in Florida but no glaring trends I guess except unaffiliated votes (and no idea who that helps) .

I don't understand how this can be at all accurate. My county doesn't even start having early voting until Oct 24th.

Enc on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

So, since he tore up his notes right away...more projection?

• Options

Actually there were the most interruptions as tallied by 538

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I've always been glad my only child is a girl. The next 20 or 30 years are going to be pretty tough on younger white men, for something they had nothing to do with directly. This is where the difference between a positive societal effect, but a negative personal one, come in to play. It's necessary, and important, but unfortunate for the young white men who will be scapegoated for problems they didn't create. Sins of our fathers and all that.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    So I watched the debate this morning on the New York Times YouTube channel and at one stage there was a shot where you could see Clinton's countdown clock over her shoulder. Matthews was asking her a question and the two minute clock had already started its countdown, it was at 1:30-something before he had even finished. Everyone was ignoring their clocks anyway and I'll assume it was the same for both candidates but it was interesting all the same.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    Enc wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    witter.com/ElectProject/status/789109448191057920

I don't understand how this can be at all accurate. My county doesn't even start having early voting until Oct 24th.

I think its absentee right now

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I totally wish they showed the clocks on TV but I'm fairly certain candidates all negotiate that out when they agree to the debates.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
This discussion has been closed.