Options

[Bravely series] Bravely Default II coming to Nintendo Switch

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Is there any way to know what sort of level/job level I should be for content? I'm fighting for the merchant class at the moment and its hard to feel if the 300 spike damage is something I should be able to deal with or something I'm not ready for.

When you enter a dungeon, on the bottom screen, there's a recommended level range. That should give you a feel for the right level.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Anyone who has Black Mage should consider making their Astrologian train in the class to learn Group Cast All.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Is there any way to know what sort of level/job level I should be for content? I'm fighting for the merchant class at the moment and its hard to feel if the 300 spike damage is something I should be able to deal with or something I'm not ready for.

When you enter a dungeon, on the bottom screen, there's a recommended level range. That should give you a feel for the right level.

That indicator will also change color. If it's blue you're over-leveled. If it's white you're in range. If it's red you're in trouble.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Is that for bravely second? I can't see it on my screen.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    That's for Bravely Second, yeah. Can't remember what level I fought the Merchant in Default, but I recall only one or two of my characters having more than 600 Max HP and pretty much resigned myself to having to revive the ones that didn't if he hit them with a double Takeover. Otherwise didn't have much trouble with that fight or the rest of the game, and I didn't do any of the game breaking set-ups I've read about.

Fake edit: Actually, I did have trouble with certain late game optional fights due to not using said strategies, never got around to going back and fighting them after beating the game.

• Options
    Yeah it's definitely in Second. Check your options and see if you turned it off maybe?

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    In Florem now, getting very frustrated with what seems like a sudden difficulty spike. I'm supposed to be in the proper level range for these dungeons (level 39 in Twilight Ruins/Sagitta Forest), but these enemies keep going first and dish out so much damage. I was doing the first side-mission and I kept dying on the way through the dungeon because my healer is spending like 40 MP after every fight just to heal up the party. And if I forget even once, well, that's a game over, because the stupid minotaurs or whatever just brave and start one shotting. I'm not underleveled, my equipment isn't fantastic but it's far from terrible... I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe the problem is I decided to play on Normal difficulty, like some foolish idiot.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    you need more ninjas

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    you need more ninjas

Didn't get one.
    I had it spoiled that I get a second chance to go back and get the other asterisks later, so I've been choosing Edea's judgments based on the ones I thought were worse story-wise. So I've got
    Red Mage, Swordmaster, Merchant, Black Mage, Knight, and Monk.

My build is thus:

Tiz as Hawkeye/Fencer
    Edea as Swordmaster/Freelancer
    Magnolia as Patissier/Bishop
    Yew as Black Mage/Astrologian

Thanks to Aspir I don't have much trouble keeping Yew's MP useable, but Magnolia goes through her MP like Kleenex at a snot party.

• Options
    Your equipment may not be bad, as you say, but it might be worth checking for upgrades in the village anyway.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I don't know if you have if you have Hawkeye yet, but if you do, get it to level 5 on everyone you plan to attack with ASAP.

As it turns out, being able to have every character say "All my attacks ignore physical defense for one cast of 16 MP" is kind of busted.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Kupi wrote: »
    I don't know if you have if you have Hawkeye yet, but if you do, get it to level 5 on everyone you plan to attack with ASAP.

As it turns out, being able to have every character say "All my attacks ignore physical defense for one cast of 16 MP" is kind of busted.

Apparently I'm doing it wrong, because I tried that ability and gained about 50 extra damage. Actually, Edea is barely doing any damage at all as Swordmaster against a lot of these enemies (and the ones she does hit just hit back way harder or steal her weapons), so something definitely is very wrong. She has the best and second-best katanas I've found equipped, so it's not her weapons.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    uhhh well ninja is pretty crazily op in this game, but catmancer is a good alternative. probably monk too I didn't use it

edea doesn't do any damage because swordmaster isn't a damage class. it's a defensive class that really benefits from provoke+red mulata, which you don't have yet. dual wielding without dual wield is pretty crappy too, two handed is better.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Kupi wrote: »

Apparently I'm doing it wrong, because I tried that ability and gained about 50 extra damage. Actually, Edea is barely doing any damage at all as Swordmaster against a lot of these enemies (and the ones she does hit just hit back way harder or steal her weapons), so something definitely is very wrong. She has the best and second-best katanas I've found equipped, so it's not her weapons.

This might have found the problem. Unless you have Dual Wield set as a support ability set (and you definitely don't, since you don't have Ninja yet), you're probably cutting your damage output by dual-wielding this early in the game. Bravely Second has this weird damage model where dropping your attack power disproportionately lowers your damage after it goes through the damage formula, and katanas are already the "low power, high crit rate" weapons of the Bravely series, so they don't like getting their power cut in half. If you haven't already, try going back to single-wielding, and since you've got the Knight class, try throwing Two-Handed on it.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    In that case, maybe I should adjust my character builds again. It seems like I'm incapable of actually doing well at this game.

• Options
    get two catmancer/monks with hawkeye secondary, the +accuracy from hawkeye skill with multitask buffed by physical boon mist and punch the shit out of everything. it should work fairly well

• Options
    Why would I want to use mist over blast for a buff spell?

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Reapplys the buff every turn.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Reapplys the buff every turn.

One shot of boon mist will get you to +90%. One blast... not so much.

Blast is really not that useful imo - mist is SO MUCH BETTER.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Multiple castings of the buff will increase the effect. Mist will ultimately leave you with a stronger buff than blast, if you have the time to spare.

I'd also suggest good measure and group cast all, though that last one is endgame stuff.

• Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    finally beat Deafult and bought this game, now I need some new frands.

added the following:

@darkmayo
    @Grape Ape
    @Magic Pink
    @strummer72
    @Axen
    @Enlong
    @Polaritie

Got these from the op list, not sure if there's a new sheet for Second.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Just finished this finally, holy moley
    I just killed the Illuminati? That was a hell of an ending

• Options
    Glad you liked it!

If you want to do any bonus stuff:
    All the previous-game dungeons, including the passage from the mythril mines to the fire temple, that you haven't visited yet, are now bonus dungeons

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I had two questions about the ending
    I looked away from the screen for a second and I think I missed it, what is Magnolia's real name? And what is the false God Providence? Is it literally the organization called the Illuminati? Despair given form, and the form it chose is an Illuminati symbol because the whole new world order conspiracy is incredibly grim and depressing, if it were true? Or is it supposed to represent money? I had a big gap between 80 percent of the game and the ending, and I feel like I forgot something.

• Options
    She whispers it to Yew and you don't get to hear it.

And... Providence has no origin given really, same as Ouroboros.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Finished the game (no bonus stuff yet) last week while on vacation, some thoughts:
    1) I'm still annoyed that I didn't get the "Bravely Second" hint until running through the chapters a second time. It was annoying to say the least, but I thought it was just the way that they did it to get let me get all the jobs I didn't choose the first time around. I didn't know there were opportunities the next time.
    2) After breaking the cycle, the story certainly did pick up, but unfortunately (with no extra effort), vastly overleveled the content. This was with me just turning off the encounters for about 2/3rds of the second run through of chapters 1-3. This made most of the content waaay too easy.
    3) Now that I'm trying to level up some of the jobs to do the bonus dungeons, the 999 jp cap is just plain silly. After I realized that even the JP up ability doesn't break that cap, I'm just stuck doing 3 battle streaks at a time in Grapp Keep to hit the cap, then talking to Deneb every so often to replenish mp. Pretty annoying.

Overall, I feel that because they have jobs obtained in this game, its hard to design battles to really push compositions until end game when they can assume all jobs have been acquired. So far, the only bosses I've actually had to worry about composition/strategy are some of the Demon job (the ones to unlock the summons for the job you get from Yoko), and a dragon you fight from a chest in the one bonus dungeon I've ventured into so far.

Also, what does the lvl 11 ability for summoner actually do? It says something about "add the summons strength to the summoner", but I had one character learn it, ... and I didn't notice anything different when they summoned something.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    It's the Sage class ability from the first. Separate command from summon.

• Options
    Yeah. It gives you Invocation. Very nice for first-turn setup.

glithert wrote: »
    I looked away from the screen for a second and I think I missed it, what is Magnolia's real name? And what is the false God Providence? Is it literally the organization called the Illuminati? Despair given form, and the form it chose is an Illuminati symbol because the whole new world order conspiracy is incredibly grim and depressing, if it were true? Or is it supposed to represent money? I had a big gap between 80 percent of the game and the ending, and I feel like I forgot something.
    Providence is simply a sadistic god who comes from the celestial realm.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I love that Yew has the voice of Dean Venture.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yeah. It gives you Invocation. Very nice for first-turn setup.

glithert wrote: »
    Providence is simply a sadistic god who comes from the celestial realm.
    Providence's name and Illuminati aesthetics are just that. Aesthetics.

Magnolia whispered her real name exclusively to Yew. Its still unknown.

In the end of NG1, Sylvia and her Matriarch have some very dire prophecies for Edea if you missed them.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »

I changed his special attack catch phrases to various Venture references.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »

I changed his special attack catch phrases to various Venture references.

Oooh yeah, I remember that <3

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Neat. I hope it's another game.

So, something about the summons in this series that I can't believe I just now realized (endgame spoilers)
    I already realized that they all have a theme of modern technology or infrastructure to them, which makes sense as being mythical and strange to a fantasy world. But then I realized that it also refers to the fact that the godly Celesial Realm is, in this series, mostly a metaphor for our world. So of course the summons are powerful; they're imports from the celestial realm. A neat little thing, I think.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Neat. I hope it's another game.

It is..but probably for smartphones.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I'm playing through Bravely Second, just about to start heading to Florem
    So this isn't the same universe as the party you played in the first game. A bunch of cities just assumed to exist that clearly didn't. A bunch of Asterisk users that explicitly died in the first game alive. The north area for the bonus dungeon is now a Baa'l crater/obvious bottom of the floating diamond warship. I have a sneaking suspicion Qada is still alive and fuck if my party didn't pull a Pacific Rim check for a pulse.

So far the moral choices have been very clear black and white. Side with a character that's sympathetic at all, or a character that is explicitly evil from the first game on some scheme to Save The World Just You See!. But fuck now I have to choose between Dual Wield and Two hands? If Dual Wield works with Quad Wield so things in your head/chest slots are not half-damage I have to side with that, but if it doesn't Knight is the true option here.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    So this isn't the same universe as the party you played in the first game. A bunch of cities just assumed to exist that clearly didn't. A bunch of Asterisk users that explicitly died in the first game alive. The north area for the bonus dungeon is now a Baa'l crater/obvious bottom of the floating diamond warship. I have a sneaking suspicion Qada is still alive and fuck if my party didn't pull a Pacific Rim check for a pulse.

So far the moral choices have been very clear black and white. Side with a character that's sympathetic at all, or a character that is explicitly evil from the first game on some scheme to Save The World Just You See!. But fuck now I have to choose between Dual Wield and Two hands? If Dual Wield works with Quad Wield so things in your head/chest slots are not half-damage I have to side with that, but if it doesn't Knight is the true option here.
    It works with Quad Wield.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Hot Damn Fuck

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Well, the new cities thing could be explained the same way all other direct sequels/prequels that take place in the same setting as the previous work explain it: they were there, but they just didn't mention them for whatever reason. About the Asterisk users: there are a few hints to what's really going on with them if you talk to some of them, but the big hint/reveal doesn't happen until after you beat the final boss. Also, I didn't do this myself but apparently in Default you could go back to where Qada was after Kamiizumi killed him to see that he became a ghost like Barbarosa did when you beat him, so it's kinda like a death confirmation.

I was disappointed Dual Shields didn't with work Quad Wield to make a character into a one-person-phalanx. :P

homogenized on
  • Options

Well, the new cities thing could be explained the same way all other direct sequels/prequels that take place in the same setting as the previous work explain it: they were there, but they just didn't mention them for whatever reason. About the Asterisk users: there are a few hints to what's really going on with them if you talk to some of them, but the big hint/reveal doesn't happen until after you beat the final boss. Also, I didn't do this myself but apparently in Default you could go back to where Qada was after Kamiizumi killed him to see that he became a ghost like Barbarosa did when you beat him, so it's kinda like a death confirmation.

And yet, one of the late-game choices (chapter 4) shows you
    that Barbarossa is alive.

Hell, Crowe and Holly are alive. That makes no sense.