Options

[SCOTUS]: Super Fun Happy Times Edition

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    If Thomas were to retire, for example, could a 4-3 court begin passing judgments that set precedent again?

Yes, 4-3 would be valid.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    If Thomas were to retire, for example, could a 4-3 court begin passing judgments that set precedent again?

Yes, 4-3 would be valid.

The problem is the most likely person to make it like that is RBG

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    The republicans need to be sat down at some university's lecture theatre and watch a few hours of schoolhouse rock, followed by a 9th grade civics lesson.

although 9th grade might be too complex.

I get the sentiment for burning it all down and throwing water balloons at the congressional republicans. I'm still so far beyond angry at them for the last year (at minimum). They've decided that the 'gentlemans agreement' that's all that's been keeping this nation running is not needed.

And the American public rewarded them. And it's going to have long and lasting effects on the jurisprudence of the nation, not just the very real lives of the people living in it.

And yet, most people just didn't see that. Or didn't care. Or they want those changes.

God I'm still so very very angry.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    The republicans need to be sat down at some university's lecture theatre and watch a few hours of schoolhouse rock, followed by a 9th grade civics lesson.

I get the sentiment for burning it all down and throwing water balloons at the congressional republicans. I'm still so far beyond angry at them for the last year (at minimum). They've decided that the 'gentlemans agreement' that's all that's been keeping this nation running is not needed.

And the American public rewarded them. And it's going to have long and lasting effects on the jurisprudence of the nation, not just the very real lives of the people living in it.

And yet, most people just didn't see that. Or didn't care. Or they want those changes.

It was pure power. Naked as anything. This does not bode well for the future. Beyond even just the short-medium term, like our lifetimes.

I am growing fond of the framing that McConnell was Sulla. But the next boot over the Rubicon won't be Ceaser's.

moniker on
  • Options
    DedmanWalkinDedmanWalkin Registered User regular
    Obama should just take the people who said that they would support Garland's Statements as "advice and consent" and put him on SCOTUS. There is no counter the GOP has for that. It is the only way to save lives, rights, and people. Garland and the rest of the liberal Supreme Court will ensure that Trump cannot become whatever an Imperial Executive is. This is a one time shot that only works because of the current situation, it is absolutely nothing that another President could replicate.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Obama should just take the people who said that they would support Garland's Statements as "advice and consent" and put him on SCOTUS. There is no counter the GOP has for that. It is the only way to save lives, rights, and people. Garland and the rest of the liberal Supreme Court will ensure that Trump cannot become whatever an Imperial Executive is. This is a one time shot that only works because of the current situation, it is absolutely nothing that another President could replicate.

No, he shouldn't. But the precedent this year has set is now part of our governance. It does not bode well for the Republic.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

It was pure power. Naked as anything. This does not bode well for the future. Beyond even just the short-medium term, like our lifetimes.

I am growing fond of the framing that McConnell was Sulla. But the next boot over the Rubicon won't be Ceaser's.

I kind of think Gerald Ford was Sulla. It all starts with the Nixon pardon.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Fuck it.

Block every nominee.

Turnabout is fair play.

I 100% knew this would happen. Absolute fucking guarantee someone around here, maybe a lot of people, was going to argue for this.

I fully expect all the rage against filibusters to completely flip as well.

Don't take one person's statement as general endorsement by the members of this forum.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Old, but appropriate

http://www.theonion.com/article/disgusted-supreme-court-cant-believe-it-has-to-rul-20719
    Supreme Court justices expressed unqualified disgust Tuesday after ruling that fornication with the American flag is an act of free speech protected by the First Amendment.

Writing that the 8-1 decision was "necessary, but it's really just unbelievable that it's come to this," Chief Justice John Roberts concluded in his majority opinion that the constitutionally guaranteed freedom of expression necessarily extends to individuals "committing unspeakable and abominable acts" with the flag. "It is incumbent upon this court to protect all forms of speech, regardless of their popularity, and regardless of whether they involve some sick, twisted human being defiling the enduring symbol of our great nation," Roberts wrote.

spool32 on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Rezzing this thread to note that at least one Dem has indicated he will filibuster Trump's SCOTUS nominee

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/senate-democrats-filibuster-supreme-court-pick-234368
    With Trump prepared to announce his nominee on Tuesday evening, Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) said in an interview on Monday morning that he will filibuster any pick that is not Merrick Garland and that the vast majority of his caucus will oppose Trump’s nomination. That means Trump's nominee will need 60 votes to be confirmed by the Senate.

“This is a stolen seat. This is the first time a Senate majority has stolen a seat,” Merkley said in an interview. “We will use every lever in our power to stop this.”

It’s a move that will prompt a massive partisan battle over Trump’s nominee and could lead to an unraveling of the Senate rules if Merkley is able to get 41 Democrats to join him in a filibuster. Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) also reminded her Twitter followers on Sunday night that Supreme Court nominees can still be blocked by the Senate minority, unlike all other executive and judicial nominees.

Any senator can object to swift approval of a nominee and require a supermajority. Asked directly whether he would do that, Merkley replied: “I will definitely object to a simple majority” vote.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yea, this is absolutely a fight I will back them 100% on.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    "Stolen seat"

Fuck yes it is

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Merrick Garland was the GOP's pick for SCOTUS last year, after all.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I don't have a transcript, but Sean Spicer just responded to a question about the Dem filibuster by complaining the the Dems are set to oppose anyone Trump nominates, and he is sad that there is a culture of "always No" being signaled right now. He says the President has a right to have his nominee taken up.

I then died of irony. RIP me.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    reminder that the GOP does not live in a world where intellectual consistency is expected

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I don't have a transcript, but Sean Spicer just responded to a question about the Dem filibuster by complaining the the Dems are set to oppose anyone Trump nominates, and he is sad that there is a culture of "always No" being signaled right now. He says the President has a right to have his nominee taken up.

That would be an okay comment if he said that Obama should have had his nominee taken up as well, and fie on the Senate for not doing so. Hell, something like that would be a near-perfect way to shame the Dems to dissuade them from actually doing it (after denying the almost certain case of Trump being OK with what happened last year.)

Something tells me Spicer didn't have the wherewithal to make that statement.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    reminder that the GOP does not live in a world where intellectual consistency is expected

Yeah, they got plenty of practice with the whole "do as I say not as I do" philosophy during Obama's presidency. Like when they shut the government down to throw a tantrum about the ACA and tried to blame how long the shutdown lasted on Democrats not compromising.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Hey SCOTUS thread, I have a question - I think I remember hearing about a case coming up to the Supreme Court this term about gerrymandering, but not just a normal case, one specifically about using an algorithm to determine the fairness of individual districts, and whether state governments have to use that as a baseline for fairness. But I can't seem to find it - am I crazy, or does that really exist? Or maybe it's not to the supreme court yet?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Hey SCOTUS thread, I have a question - I think I remember hearing about a case coming up to the Supreme Court this term about gerrymandering, but not just a normal case, one specifically about using an algorithm to determine the fairness of individual districts, and whether state governments have to use that as a baseline for fairness. But I can't seem to find it - am I crazy, or does that really exist? Or maybe it's not to the supreme court yet?

It's not to the SC yet; there are multiple cases winding through the courts.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »

That's witty enough, but I'd rather consider and reject. Unless it's Garland, then by all means confirm.

• Options
    Problem is they can't consider and reject. They're in the minority. So obstructionism it is!

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    If they consider, they send the signal that they won't be any consequences for the republicans' obstruction.
    Meaning that only republican presidents get to appoint judges from now on.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I just wish we could live in my fantasy world, is all.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    If trump had half a brain hee would nominate garland. He's already seen that the republicans in congress are foolish enough to not see the nightmare he is creating out of his stupidity. Nominating garland would make passive many of his opponents since they would believed they were safe, allowing him to continue centralizing power and then just ignore the supreme court at the end of it. It then makes it impossible for the democrats to just oppose everything in congress and the Senate, because, after all he put up garland.

But, trump is an idiot as are all the advisors he seems to be listening to, so I expect it to be one of his children.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    If trump had half a brain hee would nominate garland. He's already seen that the republicans in congress are foolish enough to not see the nightmare he is creating out of his stupidity. Nominating garland would make passive many of his opponents since they would believed they were safe, allowing him to continue centralizing power and then just ignore the supreme court at the end of it. It then makes it impossible for the democrats to just oppose everything in congress and the Senate, because, after all he put up garland.

But, trump is an idiot as are all the advisors he seems to be listening to, so I expect it to be one of his children.

This was my thinking.

Garland is a choice that could not be reasonably opposed, and Bannon is probably planning to ignore the courts entirely within a month or two. Some reports indicate they're doing that already.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    why would the reasonability of any nominee actually matter?

the GOP already has all the votes they need

e: trump is going to pick the worst piece of shit he can find, just like he did for every other position, because there isn't any reason not to

Shorty on
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    He's already copied cakes and speeches from the Obamas, may as well copy SCOTUS nominees too.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

This was my thinking.

Garland is a choice that could not be reasonably opposed, and Bannon is probably planning to ignore the courts entirely within a month or two. Some reports indicate they're doing that already.

That's why i think he might go with Hardiman, something that doesn't lead to a showdown with Democrats because i don't think the Trump Admin is all that interested in lawfare, they'd rather just cut the courts out of the equation altogether.

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    Judging by Trump's ironic picks to head departments, I fully expect a SCOTUS pick who is opposed to judicial review.

• Options
    enc0re wrote: »
    Judging by Trump's ironic picks to head departments, I fully expect a SCOTUS pick who is opposed to judicial review.

I mean, what is the endgame here? It's the entire administration just strictly russian agents here to completely destroy America? If he nominates someone utterly awful, people steer just going to get angrier, I'm already concerned that unless the Senate takes action to say "we are in charge, all executive orders must go through us, and wait for 3 months of public comment to be enacted" that we may be too far gone to safely walk this back to normalcy.

Im not sure we have any angry headroom left.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

It's not bad when Republicans do it.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Trump has the self awareness to know Garland wouldn't approve of his shit on a functional Supreme Court.

• Options

I mean, what is the endgame here? It's the entire administration just strictly russian agents here to completely destroy America? If he nominates someone utterly awful, people steer just going to get angrier, I'm already concerned that unless the Senate takes action to say "we are in charge, all executive orders must go through us, and wait for 3 months of public comment to be enacted" that we may be too far gone to safely walk this back to normalcy.

Bannon is a self-described Leninist who wants to completely tear down the institutions of government and rebuild them in his white nationalist image. He has said this. There are no secrets, this is what they promised. But nobody paid any fucking attention because Hillary's fucking e-mails were the greatest scandal in human history.

• Options

Bannon is a self-described Leninist who wants to completely tear down the institutions of government and rebuild them in his white nationalist image. He has said this. There are no secrets, this is what they promised. But nobody paid any fucking attention because Hillary's fucking e-mails were the greatest scandal in human history.

Do the republicans in congress and the Senate think there will be a winner in civil war 2? The USA will just crumple, taking much of the world with it. Are they really looking out their widow right now and going 'this is fine, trump is right, this protest isn't very big, I think that we can make people even angrier and cone out of this great!'

I mean, the Senate can still put a stop to this nonsense, so could people like the koch brothers or all the other republican super doners. Are they so afraid of democrats that they are happy to die to see them fail?

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

Do the republicans in congress and the Senate think there will be a winner in civil war 2? The USA will just crumple, taking much of the world with it. Are they really looking out their widow right now and going 'this is fine, trump is right, this protest isn't very big, I think that we can make people even angrier and cone out of this great!'

I mean, the Senate can still put a stop to this nonsense, so could people like the koch brothers or all the other republican super doners. Are they so afraid of democrats that they are happy to die to see them fail?

No, they think they'll get away with it 100%. And frankly, given how they were rewarded for their behavior during the Obama administration, they have every expectation of winning on all fronts.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    What we're seeing is in part the payoff of decades of propaganda. Fox News, talk radio, etc; the party deliberated created a false reality, not realizing that over time their ranks would naturally become filled with those who had succumbed to it. Now we have Trump, who literally watches Fox or reads Breitbart and parrots their made-up talking points, empowered by an electorate that is provably delusional.

It's not that they believe more protesters will help them, or even necessarily that they believe they can safely ignore the protesters. They may actually believe that the protests are media exaggerations, because that's what they're being told, and it fits the narrative they've been told for 20 years.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I mean, ignoring the protesters worked great for diffusing OWS' attempts at actually affecting any real change (though they're not entirely blameless for their own ineptitude). Especially when they're able to distract the news coverage with the 'grassroots' 'protests' from the teapers

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So Gorsuch is the pick. He doesn't really tip the court if he's as bad as Scalia was.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Oh good. If it had been Hardiman I might have been more open to him, since he's apparently closer to Kennedy than Scalia on a lot of stuff.

But now I can be perfectly fine with all-out obstruction.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
This discussion has been closed.