Options

[DC Movies] Finally, Billy Dee Williams gets to be Two-Face.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    David Lynch is clearly the best director for Sandman. Bryan Fuller might be good too.
    Sandman requires a wide range of different tones. It's not consistently surreal, and it's definitely far from surreal in terms of characters, relationships and motivations. Lynch thrives on the uncanny, on things that cannot be rationally understood, but this isn't what Sandman is at all IMO.

Sandman very much played with varying form, genre, style, so to my mind any good adaptation would acknowledge this. I don't really see this working in movies, though I could imagine an interesting TV Sandman that is its own thing while still capturing what gave the comics their identity.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Please, no. Burton's turned himself into a brand, lacking the strangeness and heart his best films had. Present-day Tim Burton shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Sandman.

Yeah, Tim lost all of my respect when he went and shit talked marvel for just repeating his formula for Batman.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    David Lynch is clearly the best director for Sandman. Bryan Fuller might be good too.

Isn't the reason the DCU is in shambles because they keep getting the best directors while systematically fucking with their movies at every turn?

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

Isn't the reason the DCU is in shambles because they keep getting the best directors while systematically fucking with their movies at every turn?

of the 3 movies they've released so far 2 were directed by Zack Snyder, so no.

• Options
    I'm mainly talking about SS and the countless people who have dropped off their other unreleased projects.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »
    Please, no. Burton's turned himself into a brand, lacking the strangeness and heart his best films had. Present-day Tim Burton shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Sandman.

Yeah, Tim lost all of my respect when he went and shit talked marvel for just repeating his formula for Batman.

He's also just not a good director. Ms. Peregrine was just awfully staged and shot, especially the more "dynamic" scene with cgi.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    He has (used to have) certain skills, and those skills were a good to great match for a number of his films. He's just become too enamoured with the surface of his films while rarely doing justice to what was going on beneath the surface. Present-dayTim Burton strikes me as a Tim Burton fanboi, so to speak.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Hahahaha oh man.

Ok, watching Police Academy 2 on TV, and at the scene where the undercover cop gets busted by gang leader Bobcat Goldthwait. It's about to go down in a very bad way, until bobcat and the cop have a sudden bonding moment

THEY BOTH HAVE MOMS NAMED CHUCK!

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    And still made more sense then MARTHAAAAAAA~! in context, I'd imagine.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Hahahaha oh man.

Ok, watching Police Academy 2 on TV, and at the scene where the undercover cop gets busted by gang leader Bobcat Goldthwait. It's about to go down in a very bad way, until bobcat and the cop have a sudden bonding moment

THEY BOTH HAVE MOMS NAMED CHUCK!

So even the "fresh new take" has a "Simpsons did it."

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Ya they bond over getting picked on for it.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Ya they bond over getting picked on for it.

omg

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    So, hey, on the topic of Lego Batman.
    Lego Batman Sets have been revealed: http://www.brothers-brick.com/2016/11/13/lego-batman-movie-2017-set-images-revealed-news/#more-79530

Possibly spoilers there. Possibly not. It's Lego and they sometimes like to jerk us around like that.
    But check out that Clayface set. How can you not love that?

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Lego Batman Sets have been revealed: http://www.brothers-brick.com/2016/11/13/lego-batman-movie-2017-set-images-revealed-news/#more-79530

Possibly spoilers there. Possibly not. It's Lego and they sometimes like to jerk us around like that.
    Killer Croc Tail-Gator wins on the sheer strength of its name.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Those vehicle designs are gloriously bananas. And good lord, they've incorporated some really, REALLY obscure baddies as mini-figs.
    Calendar Man? Zebra-Man? Kite-Man! Holy crap.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

Killer Croc Tail-Gator wins on the sheer strength of its name.

About that set in the spoilers
    No big rock. 1/10.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Suicide Squad's Extended Cut drops on digital today, and from the various reviews I've found it doesn't sound like it changes much. Only real positive is that they blend in nicely, it's not like real jarring or whatever.

But if you were hoping it would radically change the film or whatever, this is not that.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Based on summaries from people who saw the extended cut, the extra scenes are:

-some extra action stuff, particularly with Croc
    -Boomerang being a dick
    -a bit more character development for El Diablo, kind of just him standing around being pacifistic
    -a couple minutes more of Harley and Joker's backstory
    -Harley psychoanalyzing the others but comes off more as her being an idiot and her "analyses" are just pop culture cliches and she's wrong about the other characters
    -a few extra lines "fleshing out" Flag's relationship with June Moon

Basically, the movie is still crap. Just go watch Mad Love and the Task Force X episode of Justice League again. Or wait for Young Justice to do a Suicide Squad episode.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Basically, the movie is still crap. Just go watch Mad Love and the Task Force X episode of Justice League again. Or wait for Young Justice to do a Suicide Squad episode.
    I've heard Assault on Arkham is good.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Suicide Squad still great for the first hour hatters gonna hat.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

hqdefault.jpg

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »

Eh, it's better than Suicide Squad but it's still not as fun as it should be.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »

Eh, it's better than Suicide Squad but it's still not as fun as it should be.

The biggest problem with assault on arkham was that they made it a batman movie.

I get why they did (the arkham games are both good and popular), but it ultimately works to the detriment of the movie since they don't take the steps to present him as an antagonist as opposed to the hero of the story.

• Options
    Based on summaries from people who saw the extended cut, the extra scenes are:

-some extra action stuff, particularly with Croc
    -Boomerang being a dick
    -a bit more character development for El Diablo, kind of just him standing around being pacifistic
    -a couple minutes more of Harley and Joker's backstory
    -Harley psychoanalyzing the others but comes off more as her being an idiot and her "analyses" are just pop culture cliches and she's wrong about the other characters
    -a few extra lines "fleshing out" Flag's relationship with June Moon

Did....did season 3 get confirmed?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yes

• Options
    Oh man. Between that and learning that they brought back the Darkwing Duck comic (seemingly old news, but I don't keep up with the latest comic trends), my day has been made.

• Options
    Oh man. Between that and learning that they brought back the Darkwing Duck comic (seemingly old news, but I don't keep up with the latest comic trends), my day has been made.

*spit take*

WHAT?!

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

*spit take*

WHAT?!

I know, right? Since April this year it seems.

The first comic relaunch was an absolute treasure. I imagine this one measures up no problem.

• Options
    Yeah, the DW run was probably the best comic book version of a TV series since, well, the Batman Adventures comics.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I'm still not entirely convinced DC or WB won't fuck with Young Justice, as they are wont to do with their properties.

I bet Weisman is thrilled to finally get to work on a third season of anything. Let's hope it's a Netflix exclusive, give them a little more leeway in regards to censored content.

That said, one of the most gruesome moments in the series (and DCAU in general) benefited from the result of off-screen violence.

Black Beetle: "I can put you through the wall as well."

(about 2 minutes of slamming and crunching)

Superpowered or not, that's gotta be a painful experience.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Christina Hodson, who seems to be a new face to the scene, is writing the Harley Quinn movie, which maybe a Birds of Prey movie with Harley as the main villain.

• Options
    Christina Hodson, who seems to be a new face to the scene, is writing the Harley Quinn movie, which maybe a Birds of Prey movie with Harley as the main villain.

Unless I've grossly underestimated Harley I don't think she'd need an entire team to bring her down.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular

Unless I've grossly underestimated Harley I don't think she'd need an entire team to bring her down.

Sounds like they are throwing around the idea of having other villains, like Poison Ivy, in the movie.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    She's not stupid, and it felt like her portrayal in Suicide Squad was at least partially an act. So I could see the BoP taking her down... though I'm thinking more just Canary and Huntress with Babs on the radio instead of, like, every female superhero in the DCU being called in.

sig.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    She's not stupid, and it felt like her portrayal in Suicide Squad was at least partially an act. So I could see the BoP taking her down... though I'm thinking more just Canary and Huntress with Babs on the radio instead of, like, every female superhero in the DCU being called in.

Although that would be hilarious. Just decimate an entire city block, and Harley is at home watching TV.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular

hqdefault.jpg

Batman TAS and the DCAU are some of the best things ever made by a human.

If you think Burton's overrated or lost his way, we have a shit ton to thank for basically inspiring TAS with Batman '89

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

hqdefault.jpg

If you think Burton's overrated or lost his way, we have a shit ton to thank for basically inspiring TAS with Batman '89

Burton's great for inspiration, but they did more with the series in thirty minutes than he did in 2 movies.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

hqdefault.jpg

Burton's great for inspiration, but they did more with the series in thirty minutes than he did in 2 movies.

Burton created the look, TAS created the story.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

Her only writing credit so far is this:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/shut_in

A crap movie that flopped badly and is disliked by audiences and critics. So, things are not looking good.

It'll probably be more of an adventure comedy chase movie. Harley probably won't have some big scheme to take over Gotham or whatever. She'll probably just run around the city causing trouble, maybe with her friends Catwoman and Poison Ivy, and the Birds of Prey have to track her down.

• Options
    ...which I would love to see, but DC couldn't manage Suicide Squad without introducing a giant special effects-laden, world-shaking threat.