Options

Oh for God's sake, let's talk about the freaking [Election Fallout]

ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod.Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
Discussion of the election and its aftermath, including the recount effort, goes here.

Don't make me regret this, you freaking hyenas.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Thank you, Jeffe. We don't deserve you. <3
    I know we're not supposed to talk about the election any more, but it seems as if Jill Stein is actually making some headway and has gotten over 5 million dollars in donations, and has gotten the state of Wisconsin to agree to a recount.

I'M SORRY THIS SEEMED IMPORTANT DON'T PUT ME IN JAIL :(

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/25/503349326/people-have-donated-millions-to-jill-steins-recount-campaign-is-it-worth-it

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Liberals distracted by Presidency, give 5 million to a grifter instead of their candidate for Louisiana.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    The greens that want the recount are the ones that figured Hillary had it in the bag and so they voted green for that warm fuzzy feeling. I guess they want to find proof that Russia hacked voting machines to change Hillary votes to Stein votes now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    *facepalm*

Good. Good job, Jill.

So they're going to do a recount and then officially confirm that, yes, Donald Trump is President.

Remember that scene in that old Tom Cruise lawyer movie, when Demi Moore (I think it was Demi Moore) loses her cool and then adamantly attempts to object to a court's witness, thus prompting the judge to highlight to everyone the established credentials of the witness & reinforce the importance of their testimony?

Yeah.

:|

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Jill Stein requests Wisconsin recount, alleging hackers filed bogus absentee ballots
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/25/jill-stein-election-recount-clinton-trump-michigan-pennsylvania-wisconsin

Michigan preparing for potential hand recount of 4.8M presidential votes
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2016/11/25/michigan-preparing-potential-hand-recount-48m-presidential-votes/94429196/

Those two are pretty straightforward. Jill Stein crowdfunded enough money to ask for a recount. She did so for Wisconsin today. She plans to do so for Michigan on Monday.

Three Wisconsin precincts revise vote totals after caught padding Donald Trump’s numbers
    http://www.palmerreport.com/news/three-wisconsin-precincts-revise-vote-totals-caught-padding-donald-trumps-numbers/228/

"Various internet users" noticed voting discrepancies. Three precincts in Outagamie County were reporting that more people had voted in the presidential race than had voted at all. It's claimed that the Chief Inspector made a mistake while adding together the votes from the election machine tapes; but the result was more than a thousand votes for Trump that didn't exist. It's said that the official tally delivered on November 9th reflects the accurate value, but I guess we'll find out for sure during the recount.

• Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    So they're going to do a recount and then officially confirm that, yes, Donald Trump is President.
    What's the downside to a recount? We confirm that the election results were tallied reported correctly?

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    What's the downside to a recount? We confirm that the election results were tallied reported correctly?

well people are giving money to Jill stein

A fool and his money are easily parted

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    If the recount shows that everything was accurate and Donald still won those areas, then the problem remains as it currently is. Institutional/systemic imbalances that benefit rural areas over urban as far as the worth of each vote.

If the recount shows that things were not accurate and there was tampering, then the problem remains that... and also a whole lot more worse things that would be really good to know about.

• Options
    Doing the recount is great. Giving money to Jill Stein to do an almost definitely useless recount is a waste of money.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Which Trump voters will say was a complete waste of time on everyone's part, shouldn't have happened, and was just Hillary voters whining and trying to rig things.

It's been said time and again over these past few weeks I'm sure, but this really does seem like the most divided and confrontational the nation has been towards itself since the aftermath of the Civil War. Regardless of whether there's reason for it or not, nobody trusts anybody

Also $5 mil just went to an almost definitely useless recount instead of helping any of the charities that are absolutely going to need support now more than ever, like RAINN for example

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Well Hillary didn't seem interested in doing it because she values the stability of the country too much to try and fight this thing out. That's why she also conceded right away.

Stein doing it is actually the best way for it to happen, because she never had a chance in the first place so the whole thing feels more impartial. She's also not keeping the money so I don't really get why it being her is the issue. She's still awful, but in this one instance she's not acting such.

Aistan on
  • Options

The process re-confirms that Donald Trump won.

At best, it creates a perception of Trump's detractors just being a bunch of sore losers. Clinton was absolutely right to just walk away and accept the defeat rather than lingering on it.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

Which Trump voters will say was a complete waste of time on everyone's part, shouldn't have happened, and was just Hillary voters whining and trying to rig things.

It's been said time and again over these past few weeks I'm sure, but this really does seem like the most divided and confrontational the nation has been towards itself since the aftermath of the Civil War. Regardless of whether there's reason for it or not, nobody trusts anybody

Also $5 mil just went to an almost definitely useless recount instead of helping any of the charities that are absolutely going to need support now more than ever, like RAINN for example

And? Hillary should be the one calling for these recounts but she's not. Russia clearly when whole hog into getting Trump elected and our voting security is shit. If there is even a 1% chance any machines had systemic errors it needs to be fully investiagted.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    EDIT: Wrong Thread. D:

Kilnaga on
    "The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Okay but if there is actual evidence of tampering by foreign hackers, wouldn't we want to know that regardless?

• Options

This line of thinking just leads to sitting in a corner and not doing anything, because any action or inaction could always have been better spent elsewhere. Money spent for one thing could have been spent for another thing. Maybe it would have done more good over there, maybe it wouldn't have. Maybe there's an equal result.

Life isn't a zero sum game, and this is an unfair argument.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Just donated another $30 to RAINN and $25 to the Trevor Project.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Okay but if there is actual evidence of tampering by foreign hackers, wouldn't we want to know that regardless?

Well, you're talking about a margin of about 100,000~ votes. If there was tampering, it would almost certainly leave some sign of statistical funny business within that margin - one candidate being significantly over represented in digital ballots, for example.

Russia trolled Clinton during the campaign as a gesture of retaliation; if there was an intent to brofist Trump, it was almost certainly ancillary to the goal of hitting Clinton back for the perceived slights of Obama's state department towards the Kremlin. The likelihood that they would send in spies to attempt to directly tamper with a vote would be miniscule (I mean, consider the cost/benefits analysis of expending your espionage resources that way. You potentially lose a bunch of spies if they are caught, and you're unlikely to be able to affect the outcome of an election except in some pretty specific circumstances).

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    People are angry. Yes, that 5 million would have been far more effective dollar for dollar in louisiana, or even the 2018 war chest, but that just stands in the way of the worst of Trump's excesses. We won the damn election, it's just driving people insane that trump gets to be President anyway. People are desperate. Yes, there's probably a less than 1% chance we turn this over, but I think people just want the chance to find a few hacked machines and throw it in his face.

Honestly I'm glad they're going to do a few recounts. I don't think this win was white as the driven snow and honestly if you could undo all the illegal vote suppression and 'untraceable counting errors' but there won't be enough evidence to overturn it. If we air some dirty laundry, we'll be able to do better next time.

Still, now she's doing one or two already thats probably enough cash. Send your money to Louisiana now.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    So a recount will probably confirm the results we already have.

What exactly is the problem with recounting?

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Election Fallout: I sometimes remember our situation and feel sad.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    The term "nothing to lose" comes to mind. Hillary won't get directly involved unless some actual evidence of significant vote hacking is discovered. Stein doing this gets it looked into at least, just in case, and the Republicans can whine but it's not actually the Dems contesting yet.

Is this tiny shred of hope cruel? Probably, but this whole year has been so mega-fucked up already, who knows.

• Options
    Neco wrote: »

The reinforced message of authority given to Trump. This is political capital being wheel barrowed over to him.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular

The reinforced message of authority given to Trump. This is political capital being wheel barrowed over to him.

is it though

isn't the worst-case scenario "trump did indeed win the election, as we all thought"

jill stein might forfeit some credibility? but no-one was taking her seriously to begin with

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    If the recount shows that everything was accurate and Donald still won those areas, then the problem remains as it currently is. Institutional/systemic imbalances that benefit rural areas over urban as far as the worth of each vote.

If the recount shows that things were not accurate and there was tampering, then the problem remains that... and also a whole lot more worse things that would be really good to know about.

I mean it seems incredibly improbably that PA, WI and MI would all be wrong. For them to all be wrong it would take a concerted effort. Basically we'd need widespread treason.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Theoretically Walker and Snyder are actually pure evil and wouldn't be beyond rigging an election and PA was the most vulnerable to hacking of the swing states because there's not a good paper trail in a lot of precincts.

But for two states to rig their elections AND a foreign power to hack a third state and no one talked about it is unlikely, like all conspiracies.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I think the recount is a good thing. I'm not sure it'll uncover anything, but if it only confirms that Donald Trump won that'll still, in theory, strengthen faith in our failsafes against voter fraud.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options

is it though

isn't the worst-case scenario "trump did indeed win the election, as we all thought"

jill stein might forfeit some credibility? but no-one was taking her seriously to begin with

Well, I mean the worst case scenario is, "We've discovered widespread infiltration of our voting systems. The whole thing is fucked, GG," because that will lead to a shitshow of unprecedented proportions.

The next worse case is, yes, that the system re-confirms Trump's victory. Which is just bad. It isn't 'OH MY GOD SO TERRIBLE!', but it's still purely bad optics for those looking for the recount & positive optics for Trump. It is a terrible idea.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

is it though

Well, I mean the worst case scenario is, "We've discovered widespread infiltration of our voting systems. The whole thing is fucked, GG," because that will lead to a shitshow of unprecedented proportions.

The next worse case is, yes, that the system re-confirms Trump's victory. Which is just bad. It isn't 'OH MY GOD SO TERRIBLE!', but it's still purely bad optics for those looking for the recount & positive optics for Trump. It is a terrible idea.

The more evidence of fraud/miscounting that is found, the more divided the country will become.

If a state flips, it'll be mass chaos. Doesn't matter that it wouldn't change the result, absolutely no one will trust the results of the election or any other going forward. There will be riots.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

is it though

I think in the completely unlikely event that there is widespread voter fraud, that is absolutely something I want to know. If it just reconfirms Trump, he still lost by 2mil votes, so it doesn't really make him seem like he has more of a mandate than he did before.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

I don't agree that it is, he already has all the power, a recount will just confirm the unfortunate reality in a worst case scenario.

We are already in a worst case scenario.
    Houn wrote: »

is it though

The more evidence of fraud/miscounting that is found, the more divided the country will become.

If a state flips, it'll be mass chaos. Doesn't matter that it wouldn't change the result, absolutely no one will trust the results of the election or any other going forward. There will be riots.

Nazi riots. Let them kick and scream, they will commit their hate crimes either way

Neco on
  • Options
    also doing a recount means we resolve the question of election fraud here and now and don't have to spend the next four years hearing conspiracy theories about it

not that anything stops conspiracy theories, i guess

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Nah, dude lost by 2 million votes, this just confirms that he won the locations required for him to steal the election because of the bull shit way our electoral college works.

Like, for real, never let anyone forget that. This dude lost the vote by 2 fucking million. The majority of people in this country do not want him to be the president. That is a fact that must be continually hammered home every day of the next 4 years to every outlet that can hear it so that we can ensure that people don't think he has any kind of mandate.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

is it though

If all is well, then great, but if he won via cheating in a single state then regardless of how much chaos it might cause we have to know. Otherwise the same will occur next time, and then we'll have much worse than riots.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    i'm still kind of in shock tbh

i was just beginning to get my life together and then every government in the western world was like, hey, we're nazis now

what

oh yeah we're nazis, it's cool. don't think about it

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    If a damn recount empowers Trump, then by that logic losing the popular vote should greatly weaken him.

In reality, neither matters because through the ego-drenched lens of Trump he won and that is the Mandate.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016

To be blunt, what political capital? The Democrats already have a minority in the House and the Senate, and the most fascist President the US has ever seen. Did you think there was something they weren't going to do before that they will, like, totally do now because Jill Stein got a recount in a couple states?

jdarksun on
  • Options

To be blunt, what political capital? The Democrats already have a minority in the House and the Senate, and the most fascist President the US has ever seen. Did you think there was something they weren't going to do before that they will, like, totally do now because Jill Stein got a recount in a couple states?

Yeah. Like Neco said: We are already in the darkest timeline. "It makes us look whiny if it's nothing!" I ain't give a fuck. Do the recount. Whatever the result I want to know it.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Fidel Castro just died. I wonder if that had happened earlier it might have taken the wind out of the more right-wing Cuban floridians.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote: »

is it though

If all is well, then great, but if he won via cheating in a single state then regardless of how much chaos it might cause we have to know. Otherwise the same will occur next time, and then we'll have much worse than riots.

The only state he could won the whole election in if it was fraudulent is Texas. Has to be all three of MI/WI/PA.

This discussion has been closed.