As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help with my home theater

Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
So my girlfriend and I went out and bought a new TV yesterday, Samsung UN65KU6290F. Was a significant upgrade over an older Sony. Picture looks great and the on board speakers aren't that bad, but I am having a hell of a time getting them to work with our old receiver, which is a JVC RX-5060. Sometime down the road, I am wanting to upgrade the receiver to have all the HDMI ports to make it easier, but we don't have that luxury just yet.

For whatever reason, I'm running the audio cables from the receiver to the TV and I cannot get any sound to come through the external speakers. I've also went out and picked up a digital optical cable to run from the TV to the receiver and still not getting any luck. I can still get the speakers to play CD's just fine and the radio stations, but there is something with the TV that's not working.

The only option I can find on the TV is to switch the audio from TV speakers to external speakers, which is not currently working. Any idea on what I could be missing? I know if I call Samsung, they will tell me it's the receiver, which worked just fine with the older TV. Any thoughts ?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    Are you using the TV as the media source? I.e. is there a cable box involved? A console running media? Or is the media coming from streaming apps on the TV itself?

• Options
    No cable box. Using an antenna for over the air channels. Smart TV, so I'm using the built in browsing tools.

What is bothering me is the old dvd blu ray player was plugged directly into old TV through hdmi port and the receiver speakers picked it up fine, but now all i can get is the tv speakers

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Hmm, with the optical cable make sure your TV is set to External or Both and cycle thru receiver inputs. I had the same receiver years ago, I think it defaulted to CD or something but there's a way to change it.
    For the RCA connections double check that on your TV you're connected to the output and then try various audio inputs on the receiver, maybe one of your inputs went bad.

After that I dunno.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Pull the optical cable from the receiver and see if you can see light coming through. If you can, awesome. Plug it back in to the receiver and pull it from the TV side. Again, if there's light, awesome, plug it back in.

On your TV, you have to make sure the audio is set to Audio Out/Optical.

You said you had to buy an optical cable. There's likely a setting on your receiver that you need to change, probably something like Digital In. It looks like that receiver only has optical set to the CD input, so you'll probably have to toggle that.

Other thing to check is that, since the receiver is older, it may not support PCM. I believe there are settings in the TV to change the type of output. It may not be under Sound, but under I think Advanced Settings.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Pull the optical cable from the receiver and see if you can see light coming through. If you can, awesome. Plug it back in to the receiver and pull it from the TV side. Again, if there's light, awesome, plug it back in.

On your TV, you have to make sure the audio is set to Audio Out/Optical.

You said you had to buy an optical cable. There's likely a setting on your receiver that you need to change, probably something like Digital In. It looks like that receiver only has optical set to the CD input, so you'll probably have to toggle that.

Other thing to check is that, since the receiver is older, it may not support PCM. I believe there are settings in the TV to change the type of output. It may not be under Sound, but under I think Advanced Settings.

Are optical setups like that bidirectional? I always thought they only went from the source to the receiver direction.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Make sure your optical cable is actually plugging in all the way. They can be really finicky at times. You'll hear and feel a click.

I have the same setup. Everything goes to the TV via HDMI and I have optical out from the TV into the receiver. As has been said, make sure your receiver is on "digital in" .

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Thanks guys! Did not realize I needed to switch over the input for digital audio. There were a lot of different options but I was able to find the one for tv and the sound is great. Thanks again!

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.