As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stupid Yahoo, Stupid Designer

aquabataquabat Registered User regular
My friend designed her own business card and set the email address on the card as xxxxxxx@yahoo.com but its actually xxxxxxx@yahoo.com.au

She cant sign up for her username under the .com cos its already taken as the .com.au and the cards have already been sent off to print. She's stupid, sure, but is there anyway around this?

aquabat on

• Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Get them to reprint on top of the printed cards with the .au bit.

So for example, you add the .au bit to whatever she did the business card in. (quark, indesign... publisher...)

Then you remove all the graphics and other text except .au and send them that as a PDF or some such. Dunno whether they'd want to charge the full normal printing fee or some minimal fee. It'd require they create a new plate anyway (assuming this isn't digital). So it may just be less hassle to simply send them an amended PDF with the .au on there.

Yes, I work at a printers.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ah damn, she's already gone to the printers again with it revised. Dammit.

Thanks for that though, thats always good to know in the future if I've fucked up!

aquabat on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    GrimReaper wrote: »

So for example, you add the .au bit to whatever she did the business card in. (quark, indesign... publisher...)

Then you remove all the graphics and other text except .au and send them that as a PDF or some such. Dunno whether they'd want to charge the full normal printing fee or some minimal fee. It'd require they create a new plate anyway (assuming this isn't digital). So it may just be less hassle to simply send them an amended PDF with the .au on there.

You're suggesting overprinting onto an already cut business card? Wouldn't your production manager cut your balls off for even suggesting that to him?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    GrimReaper wrote: »

You're suggesting overprinting onto an already cut business card? Wouldn't your production manager cut your balls off for even suggesting that to him?

I was assuming that they had created the plates but not yet done the full print run or cut them up.

If they've cut them up, then yeah.. buggered.

Of course, from a cost perspective this only really saves money if the business card is more than one colour in which case creating a single plate for the black text saves money, rather than a plate for each colour. (so, if it's say 3 colours then you've saved on the creation of 2 additional plates if you were to redo it from scratch)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.