As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Paintball On] It takes a lot of balls.

KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cakeand other deserts.Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Well with the gun thread its made me think of my favorite weekend past time besides video games....

Paintball!

Charon-Up-Close.jpg

For the uninitiated, paintball is basically war games. Because of the very real threat of pain due to being shot by the high velocity paintballs, its a closer simulation than most. Because we are an audience of gamers, its best to mark that most game types in paintball are exactly the same as your favorite FPS, except instead of playing with a keyboard and mouse, you're running around with a gun and a mask. Nifty, ne?

There are several types of paintball, which not everyone knows about:

Rec. Ball - Standard paintball, played in fields with themes in mind. Mainly pick up games and standard for the weekend warrior. 2-24 players.

Speed Ball - Competitive paintball, played on regulation fields with regulation obstacles against people that play VERY seriously. Higher pain threshold required for this kind of play. 2-12 Players.

Woodsball - Standard paintball, usually played in conjunction with Scenario paintball, out in open areas ore rural areas. Also a rec. ball favorite. variable amount of players.

Scenario Ball - Rec./Competitive paintball, played in large fields, usually woodsball fields, but can also happen in urban area types. Play out a scenario, with a set of objectives, roles and command structure in mind. Usually are played over the course of 2-4 days. variable amount of players, usually in the hundreds.

Gametypes:

Elimination - Kill the other team.
Capture the flag - Kill the other team, then take their flag.
Hostage rescue - Kill the other team, then take their hostages.
Last Man Standing - Kill Everyone
Objective based - Achieve certain conditions while killing the other team.

Read and discuss!

fc: 1821-9801-1163
Battlenet: Judgement#1243
psn: KupoZero

KupotheAvenger on

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    I still have my old mini-mag. That thing was the shit until all these electric guns started coming out.

Doc on
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm not too favorable of the new electric guns. I never really have a high rate of fire since I tend to conserve shots more. My autococker and semi-auto work just fine. Besides, those blokes with the electric guns run out of batteries, and even worse, when we play in the rain, they're pretty screwed.

KupotheAvenger on

• Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have a Tippmann A5 with a TAPCO adjustable stock and an opsgear 18 inch fluted barrel.

I have an alternate setup for different scenarios, but I play mostly woodsball at a real competitive place ran by some former Marines and I like the way my rig handles there.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Man I got hit in the hand twice while playing paintball the other week and the bruises made me look like I had contracted leprosy. THOSE PAINTBALL THINGIES HURT!

Wearing gloves next time. Twas fun though.

Medopine on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have some Spyder Special Edition with an 18" barrel on it. It's fun pegging people from afar hehe

It's been a long time since I played. I started with a brass eagle Stingray (still my favorite gun ever).

edit: also, the only places on my body I HAVEN't been hit directly are the eyes and nose.

Let me tell you that aside from the obvious, the worst place to get hit is the skin between your thumb and fore finger and head on on your thumbnail.

also, the neck teeth and lips are no picnic either.

(yes I had a mask on, but I was laying on the ground looking up above a log and the angle was such that the guy who had (damn it) flanked me, put one on my upper lip and one on my teeth. Paintballs taste god damn awful.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    My first round back, I caught my hand on a tree stump and tore my thumb up pretty bad, and the next time I was down there, I got bunkered point blank in the arm and the guy pretty much tore a big chunk of my skin off. When the ref saw my arm, they grabbed the guy and saw he was shooting hot, so that made me feel better, like I wasn't being as much of a pussy by sitting out a round until the bleeding stopped.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I used to go paint balling with my friends a decent amount. Got talked into a gun that doesn't really suit me (a smart parts Ion, which I really should get around to ebay-ing already, it's only been used twice). Then, they started getting really into speed ball(zzzZZZ). I really want to sell my Ion for a phantom and get back to doing rec-ball/woods-ball.

My favorite paint balling moment comes from a rec-ball game. We had a couple jerseys (people who have sunk way too much money into paintball, and easily spotted by their expensive paintball jerseys) on our team. We told them to hit the trenches and throw down all the paint they wanted, while we scaled the really steep hill on the side of the field. We had to sling out guns over our shoulders and use our hands to grab roots and scale the side of the thing. Once we got to the top we slinked to the other side of the field.

The enemy didn't even see it coming. We just started raining death from above them, and since height is such a huge advantage in paint ball they just had to fall back. They start falling back, so we just start sliding down the hill, shooting with one hand, and using our other hands to grab unto branches and roots to slow our decent. A guy pops out of the trenches and just starts unloading at me, at that very moment I slipped on a loose spot of earth, and land flat on my back in the middle of tall grass. I sit, dazed on my back, I see paint balls wizz a few feet above my head. Counting my blessings, I spring back up and open fire again. The enemies panic, one of them drops their gun and just starts running. We gun them down, of course.

Eh, sorry for rambling on there, this thread just got me all reminiscent.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    What's "shooting hot"?

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    What's "shooting hot"?

He was like 70 fps over the field limit.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    What's "shooting hot"?

Shooting over 280 or 300fps, depending on what the range has defined.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    NotACrook wrote: »
    What's "shooting hot"?

So his gun was, um, set to shoot too fast?

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    What's "shooting hot"?

Basically, your supposed to chronograph your gun to shoot no faster then a certain speed (280 feet per second at most fields) If you shooting over that, your gun is shooting hot. You can adjust your speed with an allen wrench on most guns, but some people have their guns changed so they can change their speed in the field. Not only does it provide the person shooting hot an unfair advantage (they shoot straighter and further) but it causes a lot more hurt, pain, and possible injury to the person being hit.

Basically, it's a huge dick move.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Got it.

I've played paintball twice so I'm not down with all the lingo, as it were.

Medopine on
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm just running a Spyder Victor II. Old school rig, but definetely gets the job done. I added a J&J Barrel to it and it snipes where i need it to go. I recently ordered a Qloader for my system, which means I'll be finally getting some use out of that useless rail. I'll probably grab a reflex scope for scenario ball.

And damn, 70fps over? That would tear holes in most barriers.

oh and for hilarity:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ddMowxKchko

KupotheAvenger on

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I used to play paintball a lot. I quit right when electroguns were first coming out - the Smartgun and Angel, if I remember correctly. I have an Autococker, it was pretty sweet. I'm sure it's a pile of crap now.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    NotACrook wrote: »
    What's "shooting hot"?

So his gun was, um, set to shoot too fast?

Yeah, sorry.

There's a velocity adjustment, usually some sort of screw that determines how much space is available for the compressed air or CO2 to get through in the barrel, which determines how fast the paintball exits the marker.

Fields have devices to measure this to make sure no one has cranked theirs up to unsafe levels. This guy had adjusted it or something out in the field to get more accuracy and ended up shooting me in the arm from about four inches away.\

EDIT: Yeah, what they said.

Also, I heard second hand that the guy had gotten kicked out the field, so I'm not sure exactly how far over he was shooting. I just know it hurt like a bitch and was sore the rest of the day. It didn't really help that it was 98 degrees F that day.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That's another reason why I took a big break for paintball, besides my friends getting too into speedball.

Last time I went there were just a ton of dicks playing. Tons of players shooting hot, trash talking, wiping, bunkering when they could easily have just gone for the surrender, talking when dead, and generally just being dick wads.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    That's another reason why I took a big break for paintball, besides my friends getting too into speedball.

Last time I went there were just a ton of dicks playing. Tons of players shooting hot, trash talking, wiping, talking when dead, and generally just being dick wads.

That's why you've got to go out with a bunch of dudes you're cool with.

I'm working on organizing an outing for my campus this spring. Should be awesome.

Reckless on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    I used to play paintball a lot. I quit right when electroguns were first coming out - the Smartgun and Angel, if I remember correctly. I have an Autococker, it was pretty sweet. I'm sure it's a pile of crap now.

nothing wrong with that gun

heck, they're prety damn accurate if I remember.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well, when I went it was usually me and 4 or 5 of my friends. I wish I had enough friends that were into paint ball to field a whole game of like 20 people though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Last time I went there were just a ton of dicks playing. Tons of players shooting hot, trash talking, wiping, bunkering when they could easily have just gone for the surrender, talking when dead, and generally just being dick wads.

Yeah that happens pretty often. I tend to play scenario almost exclusively now, since most of those players are older honor bound people. Someone in my last game tried to wipe (he was on my team mind you) and nearly half my team shouted at him that he was out. Its made me fall back in love with the game.

Oh that and shooting those speedball jersey wearing pricks with a gun that's a tenth of the price of there's is oh so very satisfying.

KupotheAvenger on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »

Accuracy mainly comes from paint to barrel match. As long as you get a decent bore match, and don't have a really crappy barrel or really crappy paint, your accuracy will be fine.

Edit: Yeah, I'd really like to play scenario games. I just don't know where to find them in my area (southern California)

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    One shot, one kill.

That's how I keep my paint costs down.

This is where I play right now:
    http://www.warplaypaintball.com/index.htm

They have a great sense of battle flow with chokepoints, kill zones, it is great. They do a King of the Hill round based on Halo where you have to get in the bunker in the middle of the field. You step out of your base and you can get hit, so it is intense. People bring 1000s of rounds with them.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Accuracy mainly comes from paint to barrel match. As long as you get a decent bore match, and don't have a really crappy barrel or really crappy paint, your accuracy will be fine.

Edit: Yeah, I'd really like to play scenario games. I just don't know where to find them in my area (southern California)

You're in socali? Try this website for scenario listings down here. I had the same problem. Hooked up with some other players, and I was set. I'm doing the January charity game if you want to go.

KupotheAvenger on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh man, that reminds me. My field use to have a long steep incline with a big bunker complex at the top. They called it hamburger hill. They'd take the five guys with the fastest shooting guns and the most paint and put them at the top, and everyone else at the bottom. It was usually like 30 people storming up that hill.

The 5 guys in the bunker almost always won.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

You're in socali? Try this website for scenario listings down here. I had the same problem. Hooked up with some other players, and I was set. I'm doing the January charity game if you want to go.

Wait, the event is at CPP (california paintball park)? Holy crap! That's where my friends and I used to go all the time. Small world eh? Hmm, between selling my Ion and Christmas money I should be able to get the gun I want... I think I shall be attending this event.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    There is a regular paintballing stand outside my local supermarket, with gym queen types manning it to give the impression of, well, manliness. One accosted me a couple of weeks ago and gave me the patter. When he finished, I said that I'd done the real version, using real balls. He looked a bit sheepish.

Did it a couple of times when I was younger though, was good fun.
    Medopine wrote:
    Man I got hit in the hand twice while playing paintball the other week and the bruises made me look like I had contracted leprosy. THOSE PAINTBALL THINGIES HURT!

Mate of mine when I did it years back got hit right above his mask. For the next week he had an effing huge Hindu mark / bruise on his forehead, was highly amusing.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Wait, the event is at CPP (california paintball park)? Holy crap! That's where my friends and I used to go all the time. Small world eh? Hmm, between selling my Ion and Christmas money I should be able to get the gun I want... I think I shall be attending this event.

Awesome. My PB calsign is Phantom. I'll be hanging around the TKD (The Knuckle Draggerz) Camp. I believe we're going red.

KupotheAvenger on