As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help with Car Repo Aftermath...

Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up!Spokane WARegistered User regular
I reside just outside Spokane WA.

Long story short my finances have been lean for the last 6 months, and my wife and I are behind on our auto loans. We were just getting to a point where we could actually pay the bills and try to get caught up. The bank repo'd my car 11/28/16. I talked to the bank, got everything straightened out over the course of last week and this week. I give the bank my money 12/06/16 at 1:30pm. I have all kinds of trouble getting the auction house to release the vehicle, it took 5 calls to them and 5 calls to my bank during which my $50 fee (that I have to pay to the auction house holding the van) suddenly becomes $120. (I gave the bank every penny I had but the $50 I kept to pay for this.) My wife is the one picking up the vehicle, she goes in and makes them honor the original quote of $50.

Issue #1 - Now I have my van back, but all of my personal belongings have been removed, including my cell phone cradle. I was told by the bank last week that I had until 12/11 to resolve my payment or pick up my stuff. I have not called them about this yet because of issue #2....

Issue #2 - one of the handles above the windows at the back has been broken. Wasn't like that before. I would like them to fix it, BUT....they made my wife sign a liability waiver before they would release the vehicle, so I kind of expect them to stonewall me on this. After all the crap they put me and my wife through, I kind of want to pursue this, but I also wonder if it's ultimately going to be worth it. The did not give my wife a copy of the waiver.

Thanks in advance for any input or advice!

“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You will probably need a lawyer... which is probably outside of your ability to afford.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Got a picture of the damage to the handle? It sucks, but if it's what I'm imagining, you're probably better off just writing it off, picking up your stuff from the bank, and moving on. Grab handles are typically like a $20 part.

Are you currently underwater on the van? If not, you may want to consider selling it and moving to a cheaper vehicle for a while until you're on more stable financial footing.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    You're very likely SoL. The waiver signed almost surely was as-is. You sign this, and we give you this vehicle as-is. I wouldn't hold out much hope for your personal belongings, but if your bank has some policy regarding such I'd get that paperwork and go over and see if you had opportunity for legal redress.

Fighting over an interior trim grab handle will not be worth it assuming your time has any value to you.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Unfortunately the time to argue was before the waiver was signed. Basically she said "yep, looks good".

:(

• Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    One thing I want to point out. They make you sign the waiver before they go and get your car. You would have no way of knowing if there is damage before you waive them of any liability. I personally question the legality of such a waiver, but also don't have the money to spend on a lawyer. I also don't want to spend hours and hours to get it fixed, unless I have some recourse to bill them for my time to fix their screw up.

The phone cradle was less than $20, so again not a huge deal, just very vexing.

As far as the loan, I now owe about what the vehicle is worth, and I can afford the payments. My wife hurt her ankle in the spring, missed some work (She does not have short term disability) so we were short on cash, which caused some bills to get paid late, which really made everything worse as all kinds of fees and charges get tacked on. Being poor is ludicrously expensive.

I appreciate your replies, you are all amazing.

“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”