As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wait... Wait... Wait... The Last Guardian?

2»

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I have tried multiple times to get into Shadow of the Colossus.

It's a beautiful game, that I just cannot enjoy for the life of me.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Of course I understand that. I'm saying I don't know what sort of experience this game is supposed to be at all, to the point that I have no clue what it is if be spending my sixty dollars on

Ah well then if you missed it, here's some gameplay footage from E3. Putting in spoilers in case people are avoiding it:

Looks like it's drawing more heavily from Ico than Shadow of the Colossus. Environmental puzzles/ exploration kind of a feel.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Didge tells me Bloodborne is pretty all right so I'll look into it

praise the good blood

and let us cleanse these tarnished streets

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Of course I understand that. I'm saying I don't know what sort of experience this game is supposed to be at all, to the point that I have no clue what it is if be spending my sixty dollars on

Ah well then if you missed it, here's some gameplay footage from E3. Putting in spoilers in case people are avoiding it:

Looks like it's drawing more heavily from Ico than Shadow of the Colossus. Environmental puzzles/ exploration kind of a feel.

Oh my god that doofy roar when it charges out at the beginning and knocks those stones over I'm in love with it

Please eventually come to PC

edit the little puppy dog whines

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Oh my god that doofy roar when it charges out at the beginning and knocks those stones over I'm in love with it

Unlikely I'm afraid, Team ICO is a Sony First Party Developer

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Unlikely I'm afraid, Team ICO is a Sony First Party Developer

Well this game and Bloodborne are now my two strongest reasons for getting a cheap PS4 someday

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I assumed from the beginning that it would play essentially like ICO, and draw from a similar emotional well

It's ICO with Shadow of the Colossus's sense of scale, based on the very little I've allowed myself to see of it

That is pretty much all I want in a game, and has been for well over a decade now

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    On the SotC note, has anybody heard of Prey for the Gods? I just read about it now. Looks to be something of a spiritual successor to SotC. They have a Kickstarter going right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zulk8c_8LY

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I already gave them money!

Apparently they got a boost from Pewdiepie so I hope they hit the orchestrated soundtrack tier, that would be rad

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    hey so this came out at some point and nobody really noticed

apparently it's cute but also super clunky

broken image link
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Nah people noticed theyve just been posting elsewhere about it

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I like the game a lot

It has the same kind of framerate issues that the original version of sotc did, and the camera controls are a little squirrelly

But it's very pretty and there are some amazing set pieces and I frequently find myself talking to Trico like it's an actual puppy

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I bought Bloodborne instead of this

That game is fucking HARD

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »

git gud or die trying

seriously though bloodborne's like the best game I've played in years, I hope you like it & if you need some help with it just shout

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

git gud or die trying

seriously though bloodborne's like the best game I've played in years, I hope you like it & if you need some help with it just shout

One quick question, is it smart to try and avoid fights in the beginning?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options

git gud or die trying

sometimes being a huge coward is fine, especially against the werewolves. they're hard to kill straight up at the beginning without knowing just how to deal with them or cheese. its worth exploring around until you gain some insight, and then you should be able to start leveling up with your blood echos in the hunter's dream.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular

git gud or die trying

You can run past baddies if you know where you're going, but it would probably be better for you to try to pick off enemies one at a time. Throwing pebbles is one way to split them off from the pack.

Though if you chose the threaded cane, you should be able to stunlock groups of villagers if you use it in whip mode.

broken image link
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    just finished!
    neither the kid nor trico die!

both of them are seriously injured, and trico uses the last of his strength to fly the kid back to his village so he can receive care

the people start tending to the boy while the warriors in the village start attacking trico with spears, and the boy has to use the little strength he has left to order trico to leave so that he won't get killed

then after the credits it jumps to sometime in the future when the boy is an adult and some village kids find the shield you use half buried in the ground, and the boy shines the shield up in the sky and the light reaches all the way back to the first area of the game, where you see Trico's eyes glowing in the dark

• Options
    overall it is a very good game

just like ico there's some stuff at the end that i feel like warranted a bit more explanation than what the game gives, but also DEEP LORE really isn't the point
    it turns out that all the gryphons and spirit soldiers are being controlled by this creepy ball thing at the top of the highest tower

it's not really clear what it's doing or what it wants beyond ordering the gryphons to collect people to sacrifice to it

maybe that's enough though and it's just some weird creepy self-sustaining demigod thing

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

just like ico there's some stuff at the end that i feel like warranted a bit more explanation than what the game gives, but also DEEP LORE really isn't the point
    it turns out that all the gryphons and spirit soldiers are being controlled by this creepy ball thing at the top of the highest tower

it's not really clear what it's doing or what it wants beyond ordering the gryphons to collect people to sacrifice to it

maybe that's enough though and it's just some weird creepy self-sustaining demigod thing

Does it place itself into the Ico/Colossus continuity?

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

I just finished yesterday, and really enjoyed it as well. Here's a cool theory I saw online re: your spoiler (also spoilers for the other two games in case you only played this one)
    I don't know if it's intended, but it's fun to think of the games as connected.

For example, the possibility that Wander's actions don't return Mono's soul but rather allows Dormin to possess her body... leading to a curse of horned children and her becoming Yorda/Queen.

So someone speculated that the "Master of the Valley" was an early stage of Dormin first appearing in that world, gaining strength from being fed children. That could place Last Guardian as the first of the 3 games chronologically.

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Noggin wrote: »

I just finished yesterday, and really enjoyed it as well. Here's a cool theory I saw online re: your spoiler (also spoilers for the other two games in case you only played this one)

For example, the possibility that Wander's actions don't return Mono's soul but rather allows Dormin to possess her body... leading to a curse of horned children and her becoming Yorda/Queen.

So someone speculated that the "Master of the Valley" was an early stage of Dormin first appearing in that world, gaining strength from being fed children. That could place Last Guardian as the first of the 3 games chronologically.
    Maybe, but The Nest seems a lot different than the forbidden lands

I'm sure people will pick the game apart but at first blush it doesn't feel like it had any explicit ties like how sotc had the horned baby and the Queen's palace off in the distance

Other than the Tricos looking like collisi I guess

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Spoil me, as I won't be playing this for a while.

Who is the Last Guardian?

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »

Maybe, but The Nest seems a lot different than the forbidden lands

I'm sure people will pick the game apart but at first blush it doesn't feel like it had any explicit ties like how sotc had the horned baby and the Queen's palace off in the distance

Other than the Tricos looking like collisi I guess
    Ya, it'd definitely be a different place at least, that valley was really its own thing.

I agree that the other connection is much stronger

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    For anyone playing The Last Guardian, I've got a few hints that might help reduce your frustration with Trico. To save space, I've thrown them behind a spoiler.

You can actually control Trico and tell him where to go.

For starters you need to look at his behavior it will make your game much easier, Trico does a lot of grunting and howling if it's ready to take you somewhere. He will often look at the direction you're supposed to go and whine if you're sitting in an open area for too long.
    When you see Trico looking up high and grunting, make sure you jump on Trico so you can get to the next area.

Pet his Bloody spots to remove blood, also pet his neck when he agitated to calm him down. Feed him every barrel you find and as he becomes more responsive, try to interact with him as much as possible. Lots of petting after he does something for you. Praise him, pretend he is a dog you are training with positive reinforcement. You'll get the relationship to a point where Trico practically acts as a tour guide for you.
    1. You Can Hold L1 to Focus camera on Tricos face.
    2. Tap R1 to call Trico.
    3. Interacting with Trico:
      1. Hold R1 + Direction - Trico will walk to where you’re pointing. (Also it will make him jump on the walls, will help you to reach high ledges)
      2. Hold R1 + X = Sit or Scold him
      3. Hold R1 + O = Stand or Praise him
      4. Hold R1 + Triangle = Stomp
      5. Hold R1 + Square = Swipe
      6. You can move and climb Trico's Tail, Hold O to move it.
    4. If you initiate a command and he whines it means he CAN'T do that. Also he needs space; if there is not enough space he won't do the command.
    5. Most importantly, like any dog he won't start doing his commands right away and will start answering your calls with time, the longer you friends the more tricks he will do.

Also look at his eyes: if his eyes are Green it means he's normal and will behave (as I said above with time), if his eyes are white hes mesmerized and won't react and when they turn Pink it means he's hostile.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular

It looked like when the gryphons fed the people to the ball thing, it turned them into the barrels you feed to Trico

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

It looked like when the gryphons fed the people to the ball thing, it turned them into the barrels you feed to Trico
    Or it could be--and this is what seems more likely to me--that when kids are fed into the statue, the statue then rewards the Tricos with food.

They are, after all, animals who respond to traditional training strategies.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

Or it could be--and this is what seems more likely to me--that when kids are fed into the statue, the statue then rewards the Tricos with food.

They are, after all, animals who respond to traditional training strategies.
    that makes more sense!