As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Run the [Chat] 3

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Greeper wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    I just got into an intense argument about poetry

About what

poetry. it's a form of communication that uses high levels of metaphor and sometimes rhyming structures and so forth.

read about it, it's pretty interesting. A few of my favorites are Ozymandias, The Second Coming, and The Sunlight in the Garden

I have a fucking degree in poetry

I meant like, what specifically

Ok, so,

Scotland has a position which is makar.

And a makar is something like a skald, that is, someone whose job it is to record what it is to live in this time.

Now, there are lots of sources as to what happened in a given period, but not what it is to live in a period.

And that is what I think it's important.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    here is a difference between Australia and America that I think says something about our respective national spirits but I am not sure what:

in Australia, when you catch a taxi you always sit shotgun

in America, it seems like if you try and sit shotgun the driver will assume you are some sort of rapist

why is this

In NYC I feel like it was to protect the driver. The older cabs from the crimey era have barriers separating the driver from passengers

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    oh noes

sometimes people on the internet use cisgender in a pejorative way against people of conventional gender norms & sexuality

OH NOES

better get rid of a useful term of distinction

Exclusion, rather than inclusion.

Humans spend way too much energy on classifying and subdividing, and it just lets people shortcut into "people like THIS are bad!" Screw that noise. Fuck labels. Respect everyone.

White cisgender people aren't at risk of being excluded from anything.

It's a useful distinction because transgender people are a minority group that requires special protection because our culture is shitty & violent towards them, while cisgender people do not require the same protections. Perhaps both terms can be retired after we've created the United Federation of Planets and the most pressing concern is how to stop being from being assimilated by the Borg; until we get there, no, simply denoting gender and pretending that its totes the same experience being cisgender or transgender is probably not the best policy.

Uh.

You just constantly modulate your phaser frequency, ignoring the term "cis" won't change the borg's feelings at all

There's only so many phaser frequencies, though. Eventually it'll be just like shooting blanks.

I don't know why they didn't just replicate a few dozen tommy guns. Those seemed to work pretty well.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    It's a useful distinction because gay people are a minority group that require special protection because our culture is shitty & violent towards them, while straight people do not require the same protections. Perhaps both terms can be retired after we've created the United Federation of Planets and the most pressing concern is how to stop being from being assimilated by the Borg; until we get there, no, simply denoting legal status and pretending that its totes the same experience being in a civil union or a marriage is probably not the best policy.
    i am really not sure what point you think this post is making

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    oh noes

sometimes people on the internet use cisgender in a pejorative way against people of conventional gender norms & sexuality

OH NOES

better get rid of a useful term of distinction

Exclusion, rather than inclusion.

Humans spend way too much energy on classifying and subdividing, and it just lets people shortcut into "people like THIS are bad!" Screw that noise. Fuck labels. Respect everyone.

White cisgender people aren't at risk of being excluded from anything.

It's a useful distinction because transgender people are a minority group that requires special protection because our culture is shitty & violent towards them, while cisgender people do not require the same protections. Perhaps both terms can be retired after we've created the United Federation of Planets and the most pressing concern is how to stop being from being assimilated by the Borg; until we get there, no, simply denoting gender and pretending that its totes the same experience being cisgender or transgender is probably not the best policy.

Uh.

You just constantly modulate your phaser frequency, ignoring the term "cis" won't change the borg's feelings at all

Not since First Contact set up Voyager to ruin them.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    banksy strikes again

• Options
    simonwolf are you planning on providing us with more strong [chat]s in 2017 or is your creative talent spent

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    simonwolf are you planning on providing us with more strong [chat]s in 2017 or is your creative talent spent

i'm like leonardo di caprio

i won my award after years of being snubbed

now I'm going to go live on a boat with a gaggle of ethnically ambiguous waifus and rest on my laurels

• Options
    initially wrote that as ethically ambiguous waifus and frankly I'm not sure which one I prefer

• Options
    It's a useful distinction because gay people are a minority group that require special protection because our culture is shitty & violent towards them, while straight people do not require the same protections. Perhaps both terms can be retired after we've created the United Federation of Planets and the most pressing concern is how to stop being from being assimilated by the Borg; until we get there, no, simply denoting legal status and pretending that its totes the same experience being in a civil union or a marriage is probably not the best policy.

Yes, gay people require extra protections that straight people do not.

...I don't see how the comparison between marriage & civil union as an analogy for distinguishing between cisgender & transgender people is particularly good? When a cisgender person is given that label, somehow that is equivalent to the state denying gay people a right to marry?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

i'm like leonardo di caprio

i won my award after years of being snubbed

now I'm going to go live on a boat with a gaggle of ethnically ambiguous waifus and rest on my laurels

is that last part also a DiCaprio technique or is that your own twist

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Right now I have a bladder infection and a cold.

I am miserable, my body is sore, it hurts to move, breath, go to the bathroom, consume food, or essentially exist.

It sure is a properly 2016 way to end the year.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    initially wrote that as ethically ambiguous waifus and frankly I'm not sure which one I prefer

Morality is relative, Simon-kun~

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

...I don't see how the comparison between marriage & civil union as an analogy for distinguishing between cisgender & transgender people is particularly good? When a cisgender person is given that label, somehow that is equivalent to the state denying gay people a right to marry?

You're arguing in favor of subdivision and special labels. You are making the same argument that is used in favor of dividing civil unions and marriage, the counter argument to which is typically that "same but different" never works, it's not true equality.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    what are you kids yelling about now

grandpa has a headache

Pony on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    And that's my last online argument of 2016. I don't care to see it through to the end.

I'm going to go mix myself a Moscow Mule and find a movie to watch with my kids.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

You're arguing in favor of subdivision and special labels. You are making the same argument that is used in favor of dividing civil unions and marriage, the counter argument to which is typically that "same but different" never works, it's not true equality.

:huh:
    The analogous terms for sexually are gay/straight or homosexual/heterosexual.

Marriages and Civil Unions don't really map at all.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    an ethnically and ethically ambiguous waifu... dare a man dream of such a thing...

• Options

Descriptive words that are sometimes used pejoratively: literally apartheid

• Options
    Mariah Carey is performing in some full coverage underwear outside in Times Square while I am bundled up in several layers and a blanket in my house

Bitch I know ur fkin freezing

Wear a jacket

You're gonna get sick

• Options
    Pony wrote: »

grandpa has a headache

The culture war marches on, strong and proud.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Weather here is complete shit so I went home. Of course
    My internet connection is out
    Dammit all

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

grandpa has a headache

oh ok, sure

• Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Dammit all

Don't worry there's a leap second tonight so when all the internet connected computers go full Y2K and start killing you'll have the last laugh.

• Options

grandpa has a headache

oh ok, sure

The real reason we went to the moon was in a desperate hope to find moon men we could hate instead of each other.

• Options
    any word can be pejorative with enough malice behind it

• Options
    spaaace

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Dammit all

Don't worry there's a leap second tonight so when all the internet connected computers go full Y2K and start killing you'll have the last laugh.

Huzzah
    In the mean time I'm just going to climb under a
    Mountain of covers and sleep

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    hello friend

• Options

U anime

• Options

-.-

Cisgender people are not at risk of having their rights taken away, being targeted as victims in pogroms, etc. That is why this comparison seems rather poor to me; it is devoid of any social context. When, say, an angry tumblr user angrily vents about 'white cis male trash', as an example, it is one person venting - they do not have any actual political power & are not leading a movement to take away the rights of cisgender people. They're mad & venting.

Do you actually feel scared that the tumblr people are going to come strip away your rights? Because they're probably not.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    spaaace

SPACE WEATHER

• Options
  • Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular
    Will "2016" be the new adjective for describing a shitty thing?

How did your date go? Oh it was 2016, won't see her again.

What did you think of the new D.C. Movie? It was 2016.

How did the browns do this season? Same as always, couldn't even be 2016.

• Options
    tyrannus wrote: »
    spaaace

SPACE WEATHER

Today's SPACE WEATHER forecast:
    vacuous

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Greeper wrote: »
    I just got into an intense argument about poetry

About what

poetry. it's a form of communication that uses high levels of metaphor and sometimes rhyming structures and so forth.

read about it, it's pretty interesting. A few of my favorites are Ozymandias, The Second Coming, and The Sunlight in the Garden

I have a fucking degree in poetry

I meant like, what specifically

Ok, so,

Scotland has a position which is makar.

And a makar is something like a skald, that is, someone whose job it is to record what it is to live in this time.

Now, there are lots of sources as to what happened in a given period, but not what it is to live in a period.

And that is what I think it's important.

. . .and this person disagreed? That there are not a lot of sources? That this is what's important?

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

U anime

@Orphane and I have been having increasingly intimate rendezvous in Fallen London to discuss this most taboo subject, away from the jealous, prying eyes of those who do not understand our ... passion

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

U anime

Nope, doesn't work

p10 is preening himself anime-ly as we speak

Point disproven

This discussion has been closed.