Options

Go outside you Vitamin D deficient [chat]

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Jesus Zombie Christ Ludious....

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I played LoL again. It has changed so much, wtf world. @Sir Landshark @credeiki

Yes now spend the entire day researching builds, champion matchups, watching vids of diamond+ garen players

Grow strong my son

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Pee

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    So husbands Subaru wrx exploded into steam in the other weekend

Towed to dealership and they said there was a blown out hose and they fixed that and a broken temp gauge that meant the engine likely overheated. About $300 to repair.

He drives it again, a couple days later it starts steaming from under the hood

Taken back to Subaru dealership, they find out the radiator is leaking, quote $700

They just told us yesterday that the head gasket is blown and it will be $2300

It's a 2007 car and husband definitely wants to get a new car

But how do we get out of this old one? Repair it and try to trade it in? Don't do repairs and sell it? Get other quotes (the dealership is probably high)?

desc Thomamelas other car people?

@So It Goes fuuuuuuu

I am not the most experienced dealership hardball guy so I am honestly not sure if it's better to repair and sell or see if you can sell as is

The prior advice that was posted sounded good -- just handing it off if you can get a decent trade in value sounds pretty compelling

Otherwise it wouldn't hurt to get an independent shop's estimate but that also requires towing it over somewhere else

Uggghhhhh

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Hi chat!

Hi FWW

The world is covered in fresh snow and it's so pretty

so luckyyy

we got tons of rain though which is also nice - went from world blanketed in snow to visible grass again

and it is a super beautiful day

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    a
    zepherin wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Update on Daughter and Honors Bio
    - Daughter was up late last night throwing up from anxiety. Which means I was up late (long after I said "g'night" to chat).
    - She talked to the councilor this morning. The school will not let her change classes just because she can't work with the teacher. She called my wife crying to tell her.
    - My wife decided to check the teacher's facebook page, found a gem from 2010 in which teach was "disappointed she doesn't get to teach upperclassmen this year" and needs to "start praying for a better attitude toward 9th graders".

Perhaps if I just move everyone to another school district? Fresh Start. Fucking hell. I get that she'll probably survive a C, but will I survive the stress and anxiety? Not to mention the absolute loathing for science this fucking teacher is instilling?

hmmmm...
    -is this something you/your wife can change by being a pushy obnoxious parent and storming in in person or like...getting a note from a therapist saying the bio teacher is making your daughter sick? I wouldn't expect your daughter to be able to change it by meeting with a counselor alone.
    -do you know if the teacher is a single bad apple and/or if the school is in general well-regarded and treats its students well?
    -I know how one bad teacher can turn someone off a subject but it would be quite sad if she disliked all science. Hopefully she'll like physics or something since that isn't connected to bio at all basically
    The school told me something about changing classes and I couldn't. My dad responded by going fucking ape shit ham on them until they did. Apparently there are ways around everything, if your confrontational enough.

Also Honors classes are bullshit.

What honors classes are really depends on the school set up, demographics, etc. I would not call them bullshit without understanding the situation.
    ...fair enough.
    Overrated. Is a better word. a B in honors classes doesn't make a college see it as any more than a B. AP classes at least carry college credit, but they are absurdly hard.

Best system I've seen is high schools that reimburse for community college classes. I know someone who was halfway through her associates degree when she graduated high school, already paid for.

Ok I have a super-skewed and annoying view of this because of my own hs experiences and any way I talk about it sounds braggy as fuck so let's just put it in spoilers
    Right, I mean I went to #1 school in the country (at the time; not sure if still true) which you have to test into, so we didn't have honors classes because 'every class is an honors class here' (lol), and APs were not particularly hard, and also mandatory in that various classes did not have non-AP options, and some mandatory classes had AP requisites. It was not permitted to take community college classes, but I believe 3 years of post-calc math were offered and possibly you could get college credit if you filled out paperwork.

...elite colleges generally don't accept APs for credit anyway though...

They definitely did back when I was applying!

What sucked was I couldn't get transfer credit for the calc and Spanish courses I took at UW-Madison because of some bullshit rule that boiled down to "we don't want people graduating from our university in less than 4 years".

Nowhere I applied (mostly liberal arts colleges, one engineering school) took aps for credit. I didn't apply to Ivies (cause I wanted a good undergrad education lol) but I heard they didn't accept them either. Some schools accepted them to let you place out of an intro class, but they did not decrease the # of classes you need to graduate.

APs were absolutely accepted as credit at most places I applied and could significantly decrease your courseload.

I didn't apply to shitty schools.

You're also an engineering major right?

• Options
    *curtsies*

*exits stage*

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Even when confronted with facts (which they aren't with modern systems, because of the self-selection of information and preemptive dismissal of differing narratives), most people don't change their mind.
    I've always felt this view somewhat misrepresents the problem. Rather, there are enough facts in support of both "sides" (let's just say conservatism vs liberalism to be simple about it) that you can cherry pick the ones you want and present those and you're still presenting facts. Just not the whole picture.

What everyone lacks is the apparatus to weigh facts and determine which are examples of exceptions and which of the status, and which facts can stand alone versus ones that are influenced by unintuitive factors. This is only compounded by the incompleteness of empirical evidence in any situation.

That's before you get to the SEO masking problem of modern news feeds, along with journalistic incompetence and bias, and capitalism interfering via 'hits'.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    a
    - Daughter was up late last night throwing up from anxiety. Which means I was up late (long after I said "g'night" to chat).
    - She talked to the councilor this morning. The school will not let her change classes just because she can't work with the teacher. She called my wife crying to tell her.
    - My wife decided to check the teacher's facebook page, found a gem from 2010 in which teach was "disappointed she doesn't get to teach upperclassmen this year" and needs to "start praying for a better attitude toward 9th graders".

Perhaps if I just move everyone to another school district? Fresh Start. Fucking hell. I get that she'll probably survive a C, but will I survive the stress and anxiety? Not to mention the absolute loathing for science this fucking teacher is instilling?

hmmmm...
    -is this something you/your wife can change by being a pushy obnoxious parent and storming in in person or like...getting a note from a therapist saying the bio teacher is making your daughter sick? I wouldn't expect your daughter to be able to change it by meeting with a counselor alone.
    -do you know if the teacher is a single bad apple and/or if the school is in general well-regarded and treats its students well?
    -I know how one bad teacher can turn someone off a subject but it would be quite sad if she disliked all science. Hopefully she'll like physics or something since that isn't connected to bio at all basically
    The school told me something about changing classes and I couldn't. My dad responded by going fucking ape shit ham on them until they did. Apparently there are ways around everything, if your confrontational enough.

What honors classes are really depends on the school set up, demographics, etc. I would not call them bullshit without understanding the situation.
    ...fair enough.
    Overrated. Is a better word. a B in honors classes doesn't make a college see it as any more than a B. AP classes at least carry college credit, but they are absurdly hard.

Best system I've seen is high schools that reimburse for community college classes. I know someone who was halfway through her associates degree when she graduated high school, already paid for.

Ok I have a super-skewed and annoying view of this because of my own hs experiences and any way I talk about it sounds braggy as fuck so let's just put it in spoilers
    Right, I mean I went to #1 school in the country (at the time; not sure if still true) which you have to test into, so we didn't have honors classes because 'every class is an honors class here' (lol), and APs were not particularly hard, and also mandatory in that various classes did not have non-AP options, and some mandatory classes had AP requisites. It was not permitted to take community college classes, but I believe 3 years of post-calc math were offered and possibly you could get college credit if you filled out paperwork.

What sucked was I couldn't get transfer credit for the calc and Spanish courses I took at UW-Madison because of some bullshit rule that boiled down to "we don't want people graduating from our university in less than 4 years".

Nowhere I applied (mostly liberal arts colleges, one engineering school) took aps for credit. I didn't apply to Ivies (cause I wanted a good undergrad education lol) but I heard they didn't accept them either. Some schools accepted them to let you place out of an intro class, but they did not decrease the # of classes you need to graduate.

APs were absolutely accepted as credit at most places I applied and could significantly decrease your courseload.

Yes, but I mostly took offense to the "shitty colleges accept AP" implication.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    We have had snow basically everywhere that isnt Seattle

Fucking LAME

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I played LoL again. It has changed so much, wtf world. Sir Landshark" credeiki

Yes now spend the entire day researching builds, champion matchups, watching vids of diamond+ garen players

Grow strong my son

i still remember when i tried to come back and garen was first ban and i was like WAIT WHAT THE FUCK

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    *turn on trump press conference*

*listen to 2 minutes of complete word salad*

*turn off press conference*

• Options
    a

hmmmm...

...fair enough.

oh yeah I get it. that may be true for lib arts colleges but definitely not top engineering schools!

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    guys if I wanted to get a credit card to start building my credit and specifically wanted it to be the kind that gave me mucho airline miles (preferably w/out stupid requirements for when to spend them and, idk if this is even a real thing u can do but, also preferably the kind where it doesn't matter which airline you use if that exists) what kind should I get

I see lots of people with southwest cards (and I fly southwest) but I looked into that once and it seemed really sketchy

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Don't worry when our national media cleans it up, this will be bad for democrats.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    a

hmmmm...

...fair enough.

yeah I'm thinking it's mostly a liberal arts thing to just completely not accept them, or maybe just characteristic of the couple of places I applied to which were similar to each other
    where you also are not allowed to take classes in engineering, education, journalism, or anything 'vocational'
    I totally believe in the value of a liberal arts undergrad education, but it's also very much up its own ass

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    guys if I wanted to get a credit card to start building my credit and specifically wanted it to be the kind that gave me mucho airline miles (preferably w/out stupid requirements for when to spend them and, idk if this is even a real thing u can do but, also preferably the kind where it doesn't matter which airline you use if that exists) what kind should I get

I see lots of people with southwest cards (and I fly southwest) but I looked into that once and it seemed really sketchy

@Thomamelas might be able to help you

altho at what im guessing your income level to be, don't expect to rack up that many miles

• Options
    a

hmmmm...

...fair enough.

Sorry; that was dickish of me!

• Options
    a

hmmmm...

...fair enough.

I applied to all good schools and it was about 50/50 on what accepted which AP's

Hampshire would let you use them as electives but since the number of courses you take isn't really related to how long it takes you to graduate I just didn't bother

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Don't worry when our national media cleans it up, this will be bad for democrats.

I'm actively working on scrubbing my brain of the entire concept of government. I don't even want to know that such things exist.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

@Shazkar Shadowstorm

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I think I decided on my sign for the march

"I DISSENT" and I'll see if I can get a good picture of RGB

• Options
    a

hmmmm...

...fair enough.

Sorry; that was dickish of me!

No big deal, I'm a little bristley about that sort of thing

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Thomamelas might be able to help you

altho at what im guessing your income level to be, don't expect to rack up that many miles

hey some is better than none!

yeah I have babby income tho

oh uh I should really probabyl do my taxes soon right? idk how to do that oh gosh

who do I talk to about that, my bank??

Blameless Cleric on

• Options
    edited January 2017
    @OnTheLastCastle

http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=bulletproofman

most recent Garen game was a good carry on his part, although it must be said he mostly splitpush instead of teamfighting (we were playing a special game with me and fat squirrell facing off as support with our regular supports as inexperienced adcs for reasons)

PLAY LEAGUE WITH ME (tell me when you will be on!)

credeiki on
  • Options
    I think I decided on my sign for the march

"I DISSENT" and I'll see if I can get a good picture of RGB

Oh

I wasn't plannig to go the one here, but I am probably going now because my friend really wants to.

That is a cool idea for a sign!

• Options
    a

hmmmm...

...fair enough.

yeah I'm thinking it's mostly a liberal arts thing to just completely not accept them, or maybe just characteristic of the couple of places I applied to which were similar to each other
    where you also are not allowed to take classes in engineering, education, journalism, or anything 'vocational'
    I totally believe in the value of a liberal arts undergrad education, but it's also very much up its own ass

The latter part seems bizarre. Like, they weren't electives, or you couldn't even take them?

Where I went there were plenty of people who took cross-related, no credit fun classes like a short Shakespeare thing or a Big Bang and Black Holes seminar. Seems weird to straight up bar that.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

I'm actively working on scrubbing my brain of the entire concept of government. I don't even want to know that such things exist.

https://www.lp.org/get-involved/

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

oh uh I should really probabyl do my taxes soon right? idk how to do that oh gosh

About your taxes? You shouldn't need to talk to your bank. You should get a w2 from your employer. Did you even make enough to pay taxes this year?

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Ludious for president

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    Man, remember waaaay back when there was that giant forest fire on @ "Donkey Kong" 's Minecraft server?
    That was meeeeeee

I definitely did one of them.

And yet at the time not one person admitted to it! I had to roll back the world state!

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

your employer should have a W-2 form for you

if they do not well congrats! you've been paid under the table in a completely illegal fashion!

idk how much you've made through art commissions but maybe @tyrannus can tell you how to report that

• Options

so not airline miles but a good general card if you qualify is the citi doublecash because you get 1% when you buy and 1% when you pay it

2% is pretty good and you don't have to bother with "is this 1% or 3%?" thinking. it's given me a free $500. it soothed the balm somewhat on a $2000 vet bill when i knew i'd get $40 back

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    My coworkers are fuckers.

They found out I was eating healthier and they have been relentless stopping by my office offering up treats, snacks, and baked goods. Usually they ignore me 100% completely, the only time I'm told there's goodies up front is after the front office staff picks it bare and the back office staff makes a commotion about it.

But they are purposefully trying to derail me and it's annoying because the hunger pangs are real. But I'm sick of being fat. They will not win.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

About your taxes? You shouldn't need to talk to your bank. You should get a w2 from your employer. Did you even make enough to pay taxes this year?

I uh

I'm not sure? I'm not sure how any of this works

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Ludious for president

I can say unequivocally I'd be better than trump.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I'm taking on Jin's not exactly rosy outlook of its fine if I don't look up really.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    a

hmmmm...

...fair enough.

The latter part seems bizarre. Like, they weren't electives, or you couldn't even take them?

Where I went there were plenty of people who took cross-related, no credit fun classes like a short Shakespeare thing or a Big Bang and Black Holes seminar. Seems weird to straight up bar that.

yeah I did a music major as well as civil eng and it was awesome

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

I uh

I'm not sure? I'm not sure how any of this works

Pm me

This discussion has been closed.