Options

The Trump Administration Thread Is Now Happening

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I'd like China a lot more if their human rights were in better shape. But China might be the ones who develop the technology we need to progress as a global society. In a vacuum, I'd rather buy American technology than Chinese, but if China is building solar/wind/desalination and America is all about coal/oil/groundwater, then I think that the choice will be pretty straightforward.

They are least look like they're honestly caring about humanity's future on this planet and our continued existence.

I think they aren't spitefully rejecting solar like our conservatives are. The market is very lucrative these days and only an oil industry shill would refuse to see that.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I'd like China a lot more if their human rights were in better shape. But China might be the ones who develop the technology we need to progress as a global society. In a vacuum, I'd rather buy American technology than Chinese, but if China is building solar/wind/desalination and America is all about coal/oil/groundwater, then I think that the choice will be pretty straightforward.

They are least look like they're honestly caring about humanity's future on this planet and our continued existence.

I think they aren't spitefully rejecting solar like our conservatives are. The market is very lucrative these days and only an oil industry shill would refuse to see that.

I feel like it's less that the oil industry doesn't see that, it's that they have a very good thing going and they want to eliminate anything that could disrupt that. Imagine if the ice industry was the biggest industry in America, and someone came along pushing refrigerators. Sure, the Ice Barons could buy into the new technology, but they could also try to strangle the fridge industry in the cradle and keep mining that sweet blue-white gold. Why take a chance that will force them to change their entire business model? That's just bad business.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

I feel like it's less that the oil industry doesn't see that, it's that they have a very good thing going and they want to eliminate anything that could disrupt that. Imagine if the ice industry was the biggest industry in America, and someone came along pushing refrigerators. Sure, the Ice Barons could buy into the new technology, but they could also try to strangle the fridge industry in the cradle and keep mining that sweet blue-white gold. Why take a chance that will force them to change their entire business model? That's just bad business.

Especially if that ice is still easily available and provides big margins. If that ice would say, melt due to global warming, we'd hear a different tune right quick.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Eeehhh, I don't know about honest. The party's legitimacy rests on continued economic growth. A lot of climate change policies they'll be enacting and have enacted are purely because rising sea levels will drown out a lot of the major Han Chinese population centers (just, ya know, a billion people), and air pollution is killing too many people so they have to deal with it now.

The party's crackdown on dissidence and personal freedoms while maintaining a propaganda and censorship machine, both for Han Chinese as well as minorities, doesn't make me think they care about humanity's existence. They care about Han Chinese existence, and other groups insofar as it nets them economic growth.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Eeehhh, I don't know about honest. The party's legitimacy rests on continued economic growth. A lot of climate change policies they'll be enacting and have enacted are purely because rising sea levels will drown out a lot of the major Han Chinese population centers (just, ya know, a billion people), and air pollution is killing too many people so they have to deal with it now.

The party's crackdown on dissidence and personal freedoms while maintaining a propaganda and censorship machine, both for Han Chinese as well as minorities, doesn't make me think they care about humanity's existence. They care about Han Chinese existence, and other groups insofar as it nets them economic growth.
    Humanity can fight oppression, and China, while still pretty damn awful on the freedom front, is actually at least kinda moving a little bit.. They're still horrible, but...

Policy can change, and who knows what happens in 100 years.

But it's a whole different beast if we destroy our habitat. First if all you'll get massive instability from a whole fuck load of refugees, and then of course major wars since instability always leads to those. And if we don't stop, even worse, we might end our whole habitat.

You can fight oppression, you can't fight a destroyed habitat. I'd rather have a livable earth and oppressive regimes than temporary freedom controlled by demagoguery and the end of all, honestly.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

But on the plus side, in the case of global warming, the interests of the Han, the Chinese communist party and the rest of us match up.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017

But on the plus side, in the case of global warming, the interests of the Han, the Chinese communist party and the rest of us match up.

It angers me that Trump's election and reckless horseshit is allowing China to credibly take the moral high ground wrt "prejudice and superstition"

Fucking good job

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Re census, in a five thirty eight episode they talked about how the bureau's American household survey they do all the time could easily be on the chopping block. Although it would have extremely deleterious effects on the economy.
    Re, renewable energy: I don't think there's even a dollar sign at the end of that ideology. Once upon a time maybe, I think a mixture of contrarianism and evangelical Hocus pocus are the larger culprits. Reflexive Contrarianism is the back bone of the the GOP on most fronts right now, it makes them very easy to predict

• Options

Of course. My point wasn't that they don't care about solving the problems, it was that they care about solving them because it's their only real source of legitimacy.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Of course. My point wasn't that they don't care about solving the problems, it was that they care about solving them because it's their only real source of legitimacy.

And yet this is a higher priority for them than America.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2017-01-17/gop-targets-landmark-endangered-species-act-for-big-changes

The GOP is looking to dick around with the Endangered Species Act. Presumably because they're actually all villains from Captain Planet.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2017-01-17/gop-targets-landmark-endangered-species-act-for-big-changes

The GOP is looking to dick around with the Endangered Species Act. Presumably because they're actually all villains from Captain Planet.

Look, if they can save just one barrel of oil from the oppression of nature preservation, by God, it'll be worth it.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    and with Russia and the US allying everyone is going to be running to China for guidance on the international stage

• Options
    edited January 2017

Look, if they can save just one barrel of oil from the oppression of nature preservation, by God, it'll be worth it.

Playing Devils advocate here I can kinda get some of the complaints with wolves. I don't really know their status but if I were a livestock farmer losing animals to wolf packs and being unable to do anything about it would be frustrating and I think that's something that needs to be looked at and a solution worked towards but the rest of it is pretty blatantly "Bleeding heart liberals won't let us lay a pipeline because of 'the delicate balance of nature' so fuck you we're going to use this one small complaint as a basis to undo 30+ years of conservation "

Juggernut on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

I swear to god, the GOP is going to somehow manage to actually make the Bald Eagle extinct.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Especially if that ice is still easily available and provides big margins. If that ice would say, melt due to global warming, we'd hear a different tune right quick.

Depends how quickly.
    More than a few of these knuckleheads would sell their own kids down the river for immediate profits.
    So if climate change isn't going to negatively impact them in their lifetime, they won't give a damn about consequences... because to them there are none.

• Options

Depends how quickly.
    More than a few of these knuckleheads would sell their own kids down the river for immediate profits.
    So if climate change isn't going to negatively impact them in their lifetime, they won't give a damn about consequences... because to them there are none.
    Well you can always make more children..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    So when I saw this approval ratings post earlier I was wondering when Trump is gonna respond to that:

Of course they are rigged. What else could it be, huh?

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Playing Devils advocate here I can kinda get some of the complaints with wolves. I don't really know their status but if I were a livestock farmer losing animals to wolf packs and being unable to do anything about it would be frustrating and I think that's something that needs to be looked at and a solution worked towards but the rest of it is pretty blatantly "Bleeding heart liberals won't let us lay a pipeline because of 'the delicate balance of nature' so fuck you we're going to use this one small complaint as a basis to undo 30+ years of conservation "

We are always quite happy to insist third world farmers live in harmony with things like lions and hippos.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    So when I saw this approval ratings post earlier I was wondering when Trump is gonna respond to that:

So two percent off?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Pollution is a bigger, more tangible problem for the chinese than for anybody. Some of them can open a hand and grab death out of the air.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »

So two percent off?

The national polls were more accurate this election than in 2012.

• Options

I hope all the excitement kills him.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »

I get the feeling he's more like Palpatine. He feeds off all the negativity.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

How is this possible? He is making the news media more sympathetic.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

We have someone who makes Palpatine look like a sane alternative.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2017

counterpoint, fuck those farmers and ranchers when they've got people like Cliven Bundy running around refusing to contribute to the system that enables their livelihoods.

Dynagrip on
  • Options

I hope Mike Pence throws him down a conveniently placed power reactor.

• Options
    rockrnger wrote: »

So two percent off?

• Options

I feel like Putin is trolling so hard here

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Powerful Man Pretends To Not Understand What Being A Powerful Man Includes

• Options

Lmao.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

Nah, he's just continuing Trump's own defense about sexual assault.

It's just ignoring the fact that these kinds of things have nothing at all to do with the quality of women you are "normally" with.

• Options
    Simple folk often imagine that only the poor and hideous would hire prostitutes, because they can't get a woman any other way. This has an obvious flaw, in that the poor don't have any money to blow on hookers.

I've heard it said that men don't hire a hooker to sleep with them, they hire her to go away afterwards

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Can we turn this back on him?
    Putin: Our Prostitutes Are So Ugly, Even Donald Trump Wouldn't Want Them.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Can we turn this back on him?
    Putin: Our Prostitutes Are So Ugly, Even Donald Trump Wouldn't Want Them.

Actually, if he legitimately did hire them to piss on the bed that Obama was in... wouldn't it be even more appropriate in his tiny orange brain to have them be really ugly prostitutes?

No matter what way you look at it, it simply doesn't matter that Donald "gets the beautiful women" in this situation. It's entirely in character for him to do this.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    this is a good video about ACA recipients in Trump land

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0FvLkXDKIs

Oghulk on
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Everyone loves an underdog.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Couscous wrote: »

You scream "both sides are the same, vote republican" long enough and you start to believe it. That poll shows "Well he's an asshole, but on the other hand GRRR LIBRUL MEDIA"

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Liberals also hate the liberal media, ironically because it isn't liberal enough.

This discussion has been closed.