As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

19495969798100»

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The Pontiac is solid. 1997-02 Buick Regals would also be a good choice in that price bracket.

"GM cars run like shit longer than most cars run at all." Although that 3800 series II will just run for goddamn ever

mRahmani on
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    BouwsT wrote: »
    I would stay the hell away from any Northstar engine.

They're OK but you've got to stay on top of them with maintenance and watch coolant levels. I knew a lot of guys with Northstar swaps in their Fieros and they were fun engines that had a tendency to eat their head gaskets.

Northstar swap in something else? Maybe, but the way that they are shoe-horned into those Caddy's makes them nigh on impossible to work on, and besides the head gasket issues, they are notorious oil-leakers. And not a 100-200 dollar oil leak repair, leaker. Like, "I can't get at this damn seal/gasket without tearing the entire damn engine out", leaker.

There are much better, more reliable cars in that bracket. Just save yourself the headache and stay far, far away.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    If all this Crown Vic needs is a bushing, and you could talk them down a few hundred bucks, it's a good option. Not the most fuel efficient option mind you, but very, very reliable:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/cto/5954630565.html

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I have a crown vic and I do love it. Bad gas mileage but damn if you can't cruise forever in it because of how comfortable it is.

For that crown vic, if your interested make sure it doesn't have air shocks. They are prone to failure and are a pain to fix. Great ride though. You can tell if they are done if the ass is saggy without any weight in the back, and a crown vic should be able to have a full back seat and trunk without any serious compression of the rear end.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    In the event that one does own a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis with air shocks, I suggest swapping in coilovers if the air shocks go bad. Cheaper and simpler than replacing the air shocks. I helped my dad do the swap on my grandparent's Grand Marquis and it took an afternoon in the garage and the most specialized tool we really needed was a manual spring compressor.

This discussion has been closed.