As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Building Credit

Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I've had my first credit card for a few months now, and I've made every payment, and spent a lot of money on it. I don't spend more than I have in my checking (not counting the student loans I've gotten) and I just buy everything with the card, and then make payments on it when I get home from my checking account. I just turned 19 a couple weeks ago. My maximum balance is only 500, which is kind of shitty and low. I'm with National City and it's a Visa card.

When can I expect the maximum balance to go up? Is that something that happens automatically? Is max amount available on a card permanently set, or does the bank usually gradually increase it as your credit score goes up? It's not a big deal right now, since the only reason I have it in the first place is more secure online transactions and to build up my credit score (which I'm not really sure about, I just heard this was the best way to increase it early on.)

So, basically, I was just wondering if card balances usually go up automatically, or if I'll need to open up another card later on to have a larger available credit?

Mai-Kero on

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    They tend to go up automatically.

When the company sees that you're reliable and spending money..they'll boost it. I went from 500 and then 6 months later was at 1grand.

You can always ask if they can up your limit as well. Worst they'll tell you is "no."

You don't need a new card to get a higher limit. With credit already established, your new card MAY come with a higher limit, but yea..your current card will get there anyway.

Congrats on being responsible with it. Not many your age are.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Poke around the customer service area of their website and it should tell you... some cards (I believe Discover is like this) you have to actually call them to get an increase in credit limit

but if it's only a few months you probably shouldn't expect much change yet anyway... it took a couple years before I could get anything over a thousand

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Requesting a credit increase can actually reflect poorly on your credit, I believe

BlochWave on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    So, I've had my first credit card for a few months now, and I've made every payment, and spent a lot of money on it. I don't spend more than I have in my checking (not counting the student loans I've gotten) and I just buy everything with the card, and then make payments on it when I get home from my checking account. I just turned 19 a couple weeks ago. My maximum balance is only 500, which is kind of shitty and low. I'm with National City and it's a Visa card.

When can I expect the maximum balance to go up? Is that something that happens automatically? Is max amount available on a card permanently set, or does the bank usually gradually increase it as your credit score goes up? It's not a big deal right now, since the only reason I have it in the first place is more secure online transactions and to build up my credit score (which I'm not really sure about, I just heard this was the best way to increase it early on.)

So, basically, I was just wondering if card balances usually go up automatically, or if I'll need to open up another card later on to have a larger available credit?

One thing I noticed that helps out your credit is if you pay anything over their minimum payment. What I'd recommend doing is paying exactly $1 over the minimum, and waiting a day, then paying off the rest of the card. I know it sounds stupid, but if you pay over the minimum it triggers something in the system. Then yet ANOTHER payment makes it look real good. I did this with my Best Buy and Visa card... And within a few months I jumped from $500 to a $2000 balance.

urahonky on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

One thing I noticed that helps out your credit is if you pay anything over their minimum payment. What I'd recommend doing is paying exactly $1 over the minimum, and waiting a day, then paying off the rest of the card. I know it sounds stupid, but if you pay over the minimum it triggers something in the system. Then yet ANOTHER payment makes it look real good. I did this with my Best Buy and Visa card... And within a few months I jumped from $500 to a $2000 balance.
    And I went from a $1000 to a $3000 limit in a few months on my student card just paying it off completely every month, without dicking around with the company.

How many months has it been, Mai-Kero? A lot of credit cards have a mandatory minimum time period (usually 6 months or a year) before they'll even consider bumping your limit, but most of them do it pretty regularly (I get a bump in my limit every 6 months or so).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

And I went from a $1000 to a $3000 limit in a few months on my student card just paying it off completely every month, without dicking around with the company.

How many months has it been, Mai-Kero? A lot of credit cards have a mandatory minimum time period (usually 6 months or a year) before they'll even consider bumping your limit, but most of them do it pretty regularly (I get a bump in my limit every 6 months or so).

Touche sir. I suppose my plan really only works if you can't afford to pay off the card. Rather than paying JUST the bare minimum, add $1 to it and it looks good for you.

urahonky on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't know if being with a credit union would affect it but after having my card for a couple years I still hadn't gotten an increase. I asked on their site to get my Mastercard bumped up to $1000 and they did.

So yeah, not every bank does it automatically. Then again I didn't use it much until maybe four months ago.

Quid on
  • Options
    NewtonNewton Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    On a couple of my credit cards, they have an option on their website to request a higher limit. For one of them, you just click the button and that is it, but on the other they ask for your income and a couple other questions. I have a third credit card that doesn't have that option, so you may have to call to request an increase.

You definitely don't have to change cards to get an increase. My first credit card that I got in college 8 or 9years ago started with a $700 limit and it is now at almost $12000. Most of that increase I didn't even ask for, they just kept bumping it up.

Newton on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think what the OP is doing right now is perfectly fine as long as he stays within his means. Your credit should go up fairly quickly.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I think someone already mentioned this, but just sound advice is to pay as much as you can comfortably every credit card payment. My minimum payment's like 13 dollars usually and I'll drop 200(I'm paying it down after using it to move when getting my new job)I'm also dropping 200 on my computer payments(minimum is like 30)and 200 on my furniture payment(free for 12 months, but if you don't pay it in that 12 month period they slap you with mad interest)

And all those are almost paid off and all of a sudden I'll have 600 more dollars a month and no debt. Oh snap

BlochWave on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    BlochWave wrote: »
    I think someone already mentioned this, but just sound advice is to pay as much as you can comfortably every credit card payment. My minimum payment's like 13 dollars usually and I'll drop 200(I'm paying it down after using it to move when getting my new job)I'm also dropping 200 on my computer payments(minimum is like 30)and 200 on my furniture payment(free for 12 months, but if you don't pay it in that 12 month period they slap you with mad interest)

And all those are almost paid off and all of a sudden I'll have 600 more dollars a month and no debt. Oh snap
    Uhhh... which of those debts has the highest interest rate? Because that's the one you should be paying off first, and paying minimum on the other two, instead of splitting your payments three ways like that. You're just throwing away money the way you're doing it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    if you are actually looking to build up your credit rating, i have heard its better to actually leave a little balance on the cards rather than paying everything off.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »

Uhhh... which of those debts has the highest interest rate? Because that's the one you should be paying off first, and paying minimum on the other two, instead of splitting your payments three ways like that. You're just throwing away money the way you're doing it.

The first thing you should be doing is not renting appliances or furniture.

Shogun on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    mts wrote: »
    if you are actually looking to build up your credit rating, i have heard its better to actually leave a little balance on the cards rather than paying everything off.

Essentially, the credit agencies only take snapshots of your current debts at particular times. If every time they see your debt is zero, then they just think the credit is not being used at all, limiting the growth of your credit. I tend to keep between 20% and 30% of the limit on the card to prevent this. The wisdom is that it should save you more in the long run.

Credit cards are not the only option to begin gaining credit, though. If you have student loans that may be in your parents name, see if you can get your name on them as well. Those alone built up my credit phenomenonally.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007

What makes you think I rented appliances and furniture? Better thought, you can RENT appliances? I know you can rent furniture but the payment scheme would be completely different from what I'm doing. Thanks for being condescending, at least he was offering valid advice

One of them has no interest as I said, unless I don't pay it off in 12 months but at this rate I will so there's no benefit to doing it faster and a huge penalty for doing it slower. The credit card is lower interest but I want to pay it down faster because I just feel uncomfortable having money on it since it's my emergency thing(about 10 seconds after moving my car broke an axle and I was like 100 bucks below the limit after fixing it), the computer will be done in a couple of payments regardless(I said 200 but it'll be more like 500 I guess)

BlochWave on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    drhazard wrote: »

Essentially, the credit agencies only take snapshots of your current debts at particular times. If every time they see your debt is zero, then they just think the credit is not being used at all, limiting the growth of your credit. I tend to keep between 20% and 30% of the limit on the card to prevent this. The wisdom is that it should save you more in the long run.

This isn't always true. I have always had a zero balance on my two credit cards. (well, one exception regarding a billing fuck-up and late payment).

My credit rating, as of when I got my car, was over 800.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I suggest getting an mtvU CitiCard. They will probably give you a higher credit from the get go, and it's a good first card.

Or for you, second.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited November 2007

What makes you think I rented appliances and furniture? Better thought, you can RENT appliances? I know you can rent furniture but the payment scheme would be completely different from what I'm doing. Thanks for being condescending, at least he was offering valid advice

Rent2Own... what a terrible company.

urahonky on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    drhazard wrote: »

This isn't always true. I have always had a zero balance on my two credit cards. (well, one exception regarding a billing fuck-up and late payment).

My credit rating, as of when I got my car, was over 800.

I have to confirm this.. you always hear this, but I've paid off balances fully every month (with the exception of 1 seldomly-used card that I forgot a couple of $10-20 balances during college), and at 24 my credit score was just under 750 when I got my car 5 months ago

Gdiguy on