As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nioh: Onimusouls Action Available on Feb 7!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    How do you get that important evade Ki upgrade? I don't see it in the skill tree selection.

I have it on spears, but it's only for spears on high-stance.

You have it on all weapons. That would be INCREDIBLY dickish for them to make a core mechanic specific for each weapon like that.

Hmmm, I'll have to check. Not that I don't believe you, but I know I unlocked it in the spear tree. Is it high stance only on all weapons? I really don't use high stance that much =/

You have to unlock it separately for each stance.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Elixir count is based on how many little green healing bros you find.

Alright cool. So the + to elixir count in Ninjutsu is less important. Good to know!

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    How do you get that important evade Ki upgrade? I don't see it in the skill tree selection.

You have it on all weapons. That would be INCREDIBLY dickish for them to make a core mechanic specific for each weapon like that.

Hmmm, I'll have to check. Not that I don't believe you, but I know I unlocked it in the spear tree. Is it high stance only on all weapons? I really don't use high stance that much =/

No. There's a dodge dash on all stances. High Stance costs the most because of course it does, but it's there for all stances. Same with Flux and the other ability that gives the attack boost.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Wait, I thought skill was the main stat for dual katanas, and dex was the main stat for kusarigama?

I've been splitting my levels between body, heart, stamina, skill, and dex. Maybe I should drop skill and just focus on dex and use kusarigama exclusively for now.

Edit: Mixed up skill and dex.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the concept of "main stat", as pretty much every weapon scales based on at least 3 stats, and the emphasis is not always put on the expected stat. And because dexterity only yields Ninjutsu points and not Samurai points, you'll need to balance your stat distribution appropriately in you want to improve your weapon skills.

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    What is the learning curve like for this game for someone who never got into Dark Souls?

I ordered the game last night based on the praise it's getting. However, I'm getting slightly concerned seeing some comments about attempting bosses 10 times before being able to beat them. It was one of the things that I just never had the patience for in the Dark Souls games.

I played the last demo and liked the game play a lot and the Diablo style loot and destinyesque mission selection has me excited.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    Tachibana fight is one of the most tedious things I've ever done.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    El Mucho wrote: »
    What is the learning curve like for this game for someone who never got into Dark Souls?

I ordered the game last night based on the praise it's getting. However, I'm getting slightly concerned seeing some comments about attempting bosses 10 times before being able to beat them. It was one of the things that I just never had the patience for in the Dark Souls games.

I played the last demo and liked the game play a lot and the Diablo style loot and destinyesque mission selection has me excited.

Honestly, I think the learning curve for this game is really good. They do a great job of introducing a fairly complex combat system to you bit by bit. The prologue mission doesn't even allow you to do the more complex combat stuff, they just give you weapons and show you the basics.

That said, it can get frustrating, like any game of this type. Biggest tip I have, if you're having trouble with a particular encounter, explore! Don't beat your head against a wall over and over, there is a good chance if you explore down a side path you will find an item that will help, or allow you to attack the encounter from a different angle.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I've enjoyed each Dark Souls less and less, mostly because the sprawling/confusing level design and slow methodical gameplay doesn't mesh with having less time for games these days. The idea of that type of game, with faster and more fluid combat, along with more linear level design is sounding kind of appealing though. It's also sounding like there is a lot more and varied loot in this game?

What is the save system in this game like? One of my favourite things about the DS games is that I could quit at any point if I had to and not lose any progress. Is Nioh similar, or do you have to make it to checkpoints before quitting out?

• Options

The learning curve is good BUT you will most likely be playing bosses many times over. That's all part of the curve and the process and the fun.

If that idea doesn't appeal to you ya may end up frustrated by it.

• Options
    I've enjoyed each Dark Souls less and less, mostly because the sprawling/confusing level design and slow methodical gameplay doesn't mesh with having less time for games these days. The idea of that type of game, with faster and more fluid combat, along with more linear level design is sounding kind of appealing though. It's also sounding like there is a lot more and varied loot in this game?

What is the save system in this game like? One of my favourite things about the DS games is that I could quit at any point if I had to and not lose any progress. Is Nioh similar, or do you have to make it to checkpoints before quitting out?

It is not the same. The game does not autosave on a quit out, and autosaves much more infrequently than Dark Souls. That is definitely a major complaint that I have about the game.

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

The learning curve is good BUT you will most likely be playing bosses many times over. That's all part of the curve and the process and the fun.

Are the bosses multi-phase?

I'm pretty determined to give this a fair shake just want to know what to expect.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    The first wall for most people is going to be either the group of samurai that gang up on you or the Yokai right after.

• Options

Are the bosses multi-phase?

I'm pretty determined to give this a fair shake just want to know what to expect.

Most bosses I've encountered have at least two phases. Usually it's a change that happens at 1/3 health and they'll get some new moves or combos will last longer.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I did not expect to be an Axe man but here I am... an axe man through and through.

Katana + Axe. The first main mission had me recreating so many Seven Samurai fight scenes in the village.

I want to get all the stats, but I'm just not digging on the spear or kusarigama like I expected. Dual swords are okay.

Body, Heart, Strength and Spirit. I'll probably eventually up some of my Magic for Onymo.

No Skill or Dexterity, some Stamina for Axe + Gear weight.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Anybody know what the first part it downloads lets you do? Just curious if it's worth trying out tonight, or wait until it is all finished tomorrow night.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    I'm maining spears at the moment and kind of looking into a secondary. I've been using a low stance axe, because I happen to have one with low stance damage, low stance ki damage, and final blow damage, which is an absurd combination. It absolutely crushes mooks.

@Elendil what does final blow damage really do

the tooltip is not helpful

like what is the "final blow"? The end of my combo?

• Options

Yes PRO TIP for everyone on samurai skills

A lot of skills are on ALL weapons once you buy it on one weapon. For instance Grapple and the Ki Pulse leading to more damage / Dodge = Ki Pulse in each stance.

Buy these first!!

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I'm maining spears at the moment and kind of looking into a secondary. I've been using a low stance axe, because I happen to have one with low stance damage, low stance ki damage, and final blow damage, which is an absurd combination. It absolutely crushes mooks.

Elendil what does final blow damage really do

My assumption is that it's the riposte/visceral/what have you

• Options

but that's "Grapple" damage and also has it's own + modifier on gear

• Options

but that's "Grapple" damage and also has it's own + modifier on gear
    Shrug

If it's not that, I dunno

• Options
    Okay, Grapple is when they're standing and you do it.

Final Blow is when they're on the ground and you do that visceral attack apparently.

Also AXE BROS for life. I can't believe how much I enjoy the axe vs. mooks and the Katana for more guys or faster combat needed.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    If you struggle with some bosses, keep in mind that it's worth getting some Magic points to dive into Onmyo skills for that Sloth Talisman. It has a very visible effect on a lot of yokai and bosses that slows their attack animations down so you give yourself a little reaction time and breathing room by evading back and taking an elixir.

It wasn't in the Last Chance DLC, but that skill alone made some of the encounters in the previous demos a whole lot easier to deal with, especially if your reaction times are bad, or you just don't live/breathe/eat/sleep these kinds of games.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Yea final blow is the triangle attack on a grounded opponent.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying katana + spear, as it covers all the bases, and low stance spear is really aesthetically appealing. Definitely found the spear made boss 2 much easier, as I was missing with a lot of sword strikes.

I definitely want to practice stance switching and ki pulses mixed together for more optimised damage against slower enemies. I'm finding you have to wait a loooong time to do a perfect ki pulse, though, which is usually too late to dodge against all but the slowest enemies.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying kusarigama and not having a second weapon equipped because I don't need one YOLO

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    If you struggle with some bosses, keep in mind that it's worth getting some Magic points to dive into Onmyo skills for that Sloth Talisman. It has a very visible effect on a lot of yokai and bosses that slows their attack animations down so you give yourself a little reaction time and breathing room by evading back and taking an elixir.

It wasn't in the Last Chance DLC, but that skill alone made some of the encounters in the previous demos a whole lot easier to deal with, especially if your reaction times are bad, or you just don't live/breathe/eat/sleep these kinds of games.

That skill is naturally blocked off a ways into the game.

• Options
    I'm not even in the habit of doing proper ki pulses, let alone fluxes. I was just starting to pick that up at the tail end of the demo, and I've lost my mojo.

Still doing pretty well, though. Not having huge issues. Probably helps that midstance spear is pretty ideal for Souls-like play. I'm tempted to pick up dual swords, as they're stamina hungry and might force me to pick up good habits.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular

Bunch of goddamned savages...

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    It's often worth it to stop your combo slightly early to get a good Ki Pulse in rather than not having enough time to properly pulse IMO. It's just one additional wrinkle that is very different than a dark souls.

• Options
    It's often worth it to stop your combo slightly early to get a good Ki Pulse in rather than not having enough time to properly pulse IMO. It's just one additional wrinkle that is very different than a dark souls.

Alternatively use flux and combo forever!
    I'm really enjoying kusarigama and not having a second weapon equipped because I don't need one YOLO

Wait... why didn't I think of this? It will lower my weight as well. I'm silly. I'm unequipping my secondary weapon as soon as I play again.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    If you struggle with some bosses, keep in mind that it's worth getting some Magic points to dive into Onmyo skills for that Sloth Talisman.

It's actually unlocked after the 3rd main mission. Which can feel like "a ways", but isn't.

metaghost on
  • Options
    Weapons don't have weight...

• Options
    Weapons don't have weight...

Well shit.

There goes my brilliant idea.

*grumblegrumble*

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm really enjoying katana + spear, as it covers all the bases, and low stance spear is really aesthetically appealing. Definitely found the spear made boss 2 much easier, as I was missing with a lot of sword strikes.

I definitely want to practice stance switching and ki pulses mixed together for more optimised damage against slower enemies. I'm finding you have to wait a loooong time to do a perfect ki pulse, though, which is usually too late to dodge against all but the slowest enemies.

Katana/spear is my jam as well. The "problem" with Katana is that it's so good in mid stance you get lazy with stance switching. I need to force myself to do it more to get used to it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Yes PRO TIP for everyone on samurai skills

A lot of skills are on ALL weapons once you buy it on one weapon. For instance Grapple and the Ki Pulse leading to more damage / Dodge = Ki Pulse in each stance.

Buy these first!!

So, for clarification, I bought the heavy stance ki pulse on the spear tree, so it should just now work with katanas too?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Yes, it will be unlocked across all weaponry.

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    If you struggle with some bosses, keep in mind that it's worth getting some Magic points to dive into Onmyo skills for that Sloth Talisman.

It's actually unlocked after the 3rd main mission. Which can feel like "a ways", but isn't.

I'm not sure about that. I know Lifesteal becomes available after third mission, but Sloth is still blocked off from what I suspect is the final Onmyo training mission.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Spears all day, every day, is the cowardly survivor way.

I'm still deciding on a second weapon, any suggestions?

Man I'm loving this game so much that I'm thinking about renewing my PS+. What's the Plus benefits for this game?

Spears are a true samurai weapon.

You know, when you don't got a horse and a yumi and shoot and run like a mongol.

The only reason the Mongol empire spread out so vast is that they were the most annoying enemies to fight in history.

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »

I'm not sure about that. I know Lifesteal becomes available after third mission, but Sloth is still blocked off from what I suspect is the final Onmyo training mission.

Oh really? I guess haven't actually checked, but assumed it unlocked alongside the elemental resistances (i.e., as a novice).

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular

Alternatively use flux and combo forever!

Wait... why didn't I think of this? It will lower my weight as well. I'm silly. I'm unequipping my secondary weapon as soon as I play again.

You want to have two weapons equipped cause the one you aren't actively using still gets a trickle of familiarity. @Spawnbroker

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil