As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disney World and Universal

2»

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I'm actually going in April so this thread is relevant to my interests. Last time I went was like 10+ years ago and it seems like the whole fastpass system has changed; it used to be you'd go up to the ride entrance and get a ticket to come back in an hour or so to join a shorter line... is that not how it works anymore? Because the fastpass system being described here sounds completely different; you have to reserve them in advance now?

Yep, it's all online now. You reserve your FastPasses either through the My Disney Experience website or the WDW app, which ties them to your MagicBand or RFID ticket. Then when your window pops, you go to the ride, authenticate with the band/ticket, and get on. You get 3 a day (and can only use one on a top tier ride) to start - once you've used them, then you can get new ones one by one.

Also, once you've used your three and start doing the new ones one by one you don't get them at the ride entrances anymore. They have FastPass terminals throughout each of the parks where you can get new ones instead. You scan your MagicBand and then choose from the options that it pops up for you. Sometimes if you start over you can get better options - if there isn't anything you want to ride/experience in the list you're given, it's worth a shot.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Oh, and FastPass reservations open up 60 days prior to your check-in day, and can be made for the entire length of your stay at that time. So depending on when in April you go, either jump on that now or be ready to soon. FastPasses for the most popular rides book up quickly. Aim for getting one major attraction, and for all three each day to be done fairly early so you have plenty of time to get more the remainder of each day.

You can manage all this stuff through a downloadable app. I didn't always have a great connection in the parks though, so would go back and forth between the app and using the terminals.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I'm actually going in April so this thread is relevant to my interests. Last time I went was like 10+ years ago and it seems like the whole fastpass system has changed; it used to be you'd go up to the ride entrance and get a ticket to come back in an hour or so to join a shorter line... is that not how it works anymore? Because the fastpass system being described here sounds completely different; you have to reserve them in advance now?

It was paper 5 years ago when I went on my honeymoon; it was lovely because we kept on getting people giving us their fast passes when (I assume) they realised they wouldn't have time. I imagine having everything online means it's harder to abuse the Fast Pass system.*

*Honestly, the lengths people go to, to skip to the front, are pretty depressing.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Also if you want dining reservations, you can do them through the app as well. We had Issues with one of our reservations and had to change it but actually had to call and do it as you can't modify a reservation online unless it is 24 hours in advance.

Also you can keep on checking your fast pass as they can change at any time. Sometimes you can get lucky and have something appear that didn't before. We had that with the Frozen singalong.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy