As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] Turns out character DLC is actually decided by junk food execs

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    One of my bucket list items at EVO is to meet Yipes and shake his hand.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Yipes was literally crying tears of joy on his stream when he found out UMvC3 won. Man, that really warmed my heart to see him so happy like that.

Gotta love that passion.

Yeah I ended up donating a bit during the final minutes because of Yipes.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Watching the video of Yipes right now...is someone cutting onions in here?

e: Also just tuned in to watch Aeris play some Nioh and the first thing he says is "Hey, what did I miss? Did KBR say some more dumb shit while I was gone?" haha.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Yeah, remember they like to hype it up. Yipes kissing Persia and KaneBlueRiver crying on camera were a little too Kodak for me.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    I think it's weird when noted vidcon personalities cry and make money from people watching them cry

• Options
    edited February 2017
    New economy. Amazon takes a cut from the stream monsters' donations, right?

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    I think it's weird when noted vidcon personalities cry and make money from people watching them cry

brb, recording myself soaking my Yomi decks in the fattest, saltiest tears

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    KBR the type of dude you just want to like but he makes it so hard.

In the meantime Floe is streaming the old ass Marvel games and by god I forgot how broken they were. We complain about TAC infinites now

I think the young folks don't know how well they got it with balance these days.

Shit was rough.

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    "JWong has it easy" lol. JWong purposefully avoids top tier because it's more fun. He won EVO without Vergil, Zero, or Morri-Doom scumming. Sure has it easy, lol.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Well, Pokken loses $4.5k in donations overnight, Marvel loses $0. So much for that.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    How balanced even is Pokken? With the number of total donations received, it sounds like it has the support behind it (minus those idiots who chargedback) but it's definitely not a game I hear about much anymore. It was big talk for about 2 months when it first launched and then I literally forgot the game existed until this EVO drive to give it a slot.

I can't imagine that if the game even has representation next year (which EVO has promised 10k in support for), that it's going to have a lot of registrants.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Well, the WiiU version of Pokken is well behind the Arcade version in characters and balance patches so I couldn't tell you. There was no post-launch support for the WiiU version whatsoever while the Arcade version is (or was) still getting dev time.

Page- wrote: »
    Well, Pokken loses $4.5k in donations overnight, Marvel loses $0. So much for that.

$4.5K in chargebacks to Make A Wish International has to be a new low.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGHGrp6KNag
    Kolin, the Phantasm of Snow and Ice, joins Akuma in Street Fighter V February 28th!

It's Not Design
    Lupe Fiasco feat. Salim

She looks more Harlock-ish in the preview.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Ultimately, with regards to Pokken, consider that at the last EVO half the registered entrents did not even show up to the tournament. Both then and now, it has been more about Pokemon fans and their pockets than anything else. Nintendo doesn't officially support the game--it is completely a Namco endeavour. And you only have to look at Tekken to see how that goes. They are, after all, one of the few major arcade manufacturers still going.

blame autocorrect.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    Justin Wong on that good-deed streak.

Though you have to believe that a little bit of that is a shot at KBR, considering his rep even before yesterday.

stream
  • Options
    From the Financial Times' yt channel:
    The last of Japan's video arcades

Game centres are disappearing as mobile phones take over. The FT's Leo Lewis revisits his youth at one of Sega's remaining arcades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLBtfgVOyI0

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited February 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGHGrp6KNag
    Kolin, the Phantasm of Snow and Ice, joins Akuma in Street Fighter V February 28th!

It's Not Design
    Lupe Fiasco feat. Salim

She looks more Harlock-ish in the preview.

Ha, they even have a "nostalgia" costume from her origin in SFIII. Fun fact: her and Gil were designed the way they were (with Gil's body paint and her hair) to show off the new engine at the time to prove that they advanced beyond simple mirror switching for sprites when they changed sides (like how Sagat used to magically move his eye-patch towards the camera when he switched sides)

EDIT: Source: http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/File:Gill_Entrance.gif

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I got to play fighting games for the first time in a good long while.
    Tonight we played V.
    I enjoy the game, but I've always felt like something about the experience is a bit less satisfying than other iterations.
    Thinking about it on the drive home, I finally put my finger on it; Most wakeup options are rather weak, which bleeds some small quantity of fun from both offense and defense after a knockdown.

• Options
    Nerfing wake-up options because a few new DLC characters didn't have meterless ones was the stupidest fucking thing in the world. Worst part is it didn't hurt Ken at all, because Ken players in S1 yolo-EX Shoryu'd all the goddamn time. Now they can just rationalize it at their only reversal option. Not to mention they completely destroyed Ryu's reversal offense due to the fact that his EX Shoryuken is *SHIN*-Shoryuken, which means it won't even do full damage unless the initial rising body-blow lands, and that animation is skipped entirely if the opponent is even a few pixels above it; so you end up having to waste meter on a reversal that does no damage.

Capcom needs to undo some of these changes. You know it's bad when Infi is literally negatively critiquing every bit of Capcom's choices regarding SFV in S2 so far. As of now I can't even play it; it feels like SF for babies.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Nerfing wake-up options because a few new DLC characters didn't have meterless ones was the stupidest fucking thing in the world. Worst part is it didn't hurt Ken at all, because Ken players in S1 yolo-EX Shoryu'd all the goddamn time. Now they can just rationalize it at their only reversal option. Not to mention they completely destroyed Ryu's reversal offense due to the fact that his EX Shoryuken is *SHIN*-Shoryuken, which means it won't even do full damage unless the initial rising body-blow lands, and that animation is skipped entirely if the opponent is even a few pixels above it; so you end up having to waste meter on a reversal that does no damage.

Capcom needs to undo some of these changes. You know it's bad when Infi is literally negatively critiquing every bit of Capcom's choices regarding SFV in S2 so far. As of now I can't even play it; it feels like SF for babies.

I am a Bison main. He has no reversal except for his Critical Art (and EX Headstomp in V-trigger in S2, but nothing in S1). I'd only want them to reverse the change if they gave me back IV's Psycho Crusher as a reversal (even if it had to be EX'd) or make EX Headstomp a reversal in and out of V-trigger.

Otherwise, people need to learn Defense ;).

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »

I am a Bison main. He has no reversal except for his Critical Art (and EX Headstomp in V-trigger in S2, but nothing in S1). I'd only want them to reverse the change if they gave me back IV's Psycho Crusher as a reversal (even if it had to be EX'd) or make EX Headstomp a reversal in and out of V-trigger.

Otherwise, people need to learn Defense ;).

See but Bison's problems weren't just defense, it was a whole mess of things. The thing that makes pre-SFV great, and Fighting games as a whole, is BALANCE. I don't want every character to have a reversal option, and I don't want reversals nerfed because MY character doesn't have one (with or without meter). The problem is that Capcom is taking the "bringing in new players" thing way too far. To the point where they feel like they should soften up every single thing that players complain about, even if it's the minority of the fans.

One of the biggest things that baffles is me is why the hell Laura got super-buffed and why they cut off Nash's limbs at the same time. And why is Gief still the biggest effort for little reward when Mika had only a couple (unbalanced) tools removed and she's still ridiculous?

And most importantly WHY THE FUCK DID THEY NERF DEMON FLIP!? DEMON FLIP WAS A MIX-UP GIMMICK TO BEGIN WITH AND NOW IT'S JUST UTTER SHIT!

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    Stealing from GAF

7TrTHqe.jpg

I'm awaiting the Valle version.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    New economy. Amazon takes a cut from the stream monsters' donations, right?

where do you think the moisture that makes up the AWS Cloud comes from?

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options

See but Bison's problems weren't just defense, it was a whole mess of things. The thing that makes pre-SFV great, and Fighting games as a whole, is BALANCE. I don't want every character to have a reversal option, and I don't want reversals nerfed because MY character doesn't have one (with or without meter). The problem is that Capcom is taking the "bringing in new players" thing way too far. To the point where they feel like they should soften up every single thing that players complain about, even if it's the minority of the fans.
    Bison's main problems revolved around reversals. So not only did he have to hold that when he got knocked down due to no reversals, his good attacks are slow to come out and almost reactable to be uppercutted. He also had no overhead or command throw.

S1 Bison was trash and yes, a large part of that was due to no reversal and how powerful reversals were.

It's interesting that you cite balance as almost every top tier character in S1 had one and if you didn't, lol good luck (and if I recall, against Mika you had to be solid in your meaties or else you'd get hit. That and she was OP for different reasons).

I'm not saying I'm against bringing them back, btw, but....how many characters at the end of SF IV did NOT have an invincible reversal out of how many?

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I would argue the reason folks liked Ultra so much was because they finally gave almost everyone in the cast some kind of reversal option.

And honestly. Capcom needs to make a decision on it. Cause I mean especially with SFV you can't even argue the reversal having characters are weak offensively. So you get characters who are strong on offense and defense. Vs some who are strong just offensively. Vs. some who are neither...because reasons.

And I think it needs to be an all or nothing deal at this point.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    USF4 characters with meterless fully invicible reversals (15/44)
    adon, akuma, cammy, dan, evil ryu, fei long, guile, ken, oni, poison, ryu, sagat, seth, yang, yun

USF4 characters with ex fully invincible reversals (21/44)
    balrog, blanka, c.viper*, chun li, cody, decapre, deejay, dudley, e.honda, el fuerte, elena, gen, gouken, guy, hugo, ibuki, juri, m. bison, rufus, sakura, t.hawk

USF4 characters with no fully invicible reversals (8/44)
    abel: had access to strike invul ex tornado throw and armored CoD (+throw invul regular TT)
    dhalsim: has fully invincible teleport
    hakan: strike invul ex oil rocket (command throw)
    makoto: armored ex karakusa and strike invul for part of the startup on ex oroshi
    rolento: fully invicible backflip roll (which could then go into attacks)
    rose: strike invul ex soul spiral spiral. Also her backdash
    vega: 2 fully invicible backflips
    zangief: strike invul ex SPD and ex banishing flat / green hand

+basically every character also had access to wakeup ultra as a fully invincible reversal option on top of that, and potentially wakeup super as well.
    also remember backdash had full invincibility. Backdashes varied in usefulness from character to character but the top-tier backdashes were absolutely a strong wakeup option.

i am not sure the point you are arguing. if you think characters needed meterless reversals to be good in USF4 - no, I don't think the evidence supports that claim.

the issue with SFV is they are incredibly stingy with reversals. there literally wasn't a character that lacked a wakeup option with at least strike invincibility in SF4! in practice, not all reversals were created equal (since slow reversals couldn't contest safejump setups, and some of the slower ones were very susceptible to safe grounded meaties as well), but they at least understood you should give people options to check pressure (even though SF4's DP -> FADC to safety was absolutely a mistake)

yes, having a meterless reversal is a strong tool for a character to have. but people act like it's a broken mechanic somehow (laughable in SFV, when baited reversals get punished so hard), or somehow inherently balance breaking, and I just don't understand.

*: upon reviewing the frame data, it appears that c.viper's ex seismo and ex burn kick, while having full invincibility, the full invincibility does not last until the 1st active frame. i didn't count gen as having a fully invincible reversal because his mk/hk gekiro's invicibility doesn't last until the 1st active frame, so I've arguably miscategorized her, but, come on

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    That was an awesome list, I thank you for it.

So 36 of the 44 had invincible reversals. Of the remainder.....
    P10 wrote: »
    USF4 characters with no fully invicible reversals (8/44)
    abel: had access to strike invul ex tornado throw and armored CoD (+throw invul regular TT)
    dhalsim: has fully invincible teleport
    hakan: strike invul ex oil rocket (command throw)
    makoto: armored ex karakusa and strike invul for part of the startup on ex oroshi
    rolento: fully invicible backflip roll (which could then go into attacks)
    rose: strike invul ex soul spiral spiral. Also her backdash
    vega: 2 fully invicible backflips
    zangief: strike invul ex SPD and ex banishing flat / green hand

Dhalsim had an invincible escape, so that's almost as good. As did Rolento and Vega.

Abel, Makoto, Hakan, Rose, and Zangief all had strike invulnerable reversals that are basically good enough for what we're talking about since it's not like someone is going to do a pointblank fireball on a average.

So everyone had *something*, plus the escape options of backdash and creative uses of FADC, etc.
    P10 wrote: »
    i am not sure the point you are arguing. if you think characters needed meterless reversals to be good in USF4 - no, I don't think the evidence supports that claim.

the issue with SFV is they are incredibly stingy with reversals. there literally wasn't a character that lacked a wakeup option with at least strike invincibility in SF4! in practice, not all reversals were created equal (since slow reversals couldn't contest safejump setups, and some of the slower ones were very susceptible to safe grounded meaties as well), but they at least understood you should give people options to check pressure (even though SF4's DP -> FADC to safety was absolutely a mistake)

yes, having a meterless reversal is a strong tool for a character to have. but people act like it's a broken mechanic somehow (laughable in SFV, when baited reversals get punished so hard), or somehow inherently balance breaking, and I just don't understand.

The point isn't arguing USF4 tiers or anything about meterless reversals. The point is that everyone had options and the vast majority / everyone had invincible options to escape pressure, if not flat out reversals, which you are the best for making that list.

How many in SF 5 did?

The cry to get rid of them in the first place wouldn't exist, I'd bet, if everyone had them. As a Bison main I can tell you I despised them because of how bad it made Bison by comparison.

I'm not saying I want them gone. I'm saying it's a huge mistake that everyone basically doesn't have them.

That being said, like Dragkonias said, if everyone's not going to have them, then I'd rather no one have them. One or the other.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    SFV was 4/16 meterless (Ryu, Ken, Cammy, Necalli) , 3/16 ex (Chun, Rashid, Karin) and 9/16 nothing (everyone else) on launch. with everyone else having some reversal options that could work sometimes (armored exs, but the armor wasn't from first frame so they couldn't contest meaties), sim's teleport which is strike invul iirc.

i think the idea may have been, well, everyone has v-reversals so it's fine, but v-reversals are both generally expensive since it is hard for characters to battery for vgauge and also not very good outside of like, nash's v-reversal

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    kolin is not pronounced Colline is it?
    I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with this game.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    if capcom thinks the problem with SF5 is reversal related there is no hope

Walt on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    So there are still 5 BRAND NEW characters still yet to be revealed, right?

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    4 I think?

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    Walt wrote: »

In their words, they felt it wasn't fair that the DLC characters had to spend meter to use reversals, so now every character who previously had a meterless one has to spend meter to use it. The PROBLEM with this is that outside of specific combo chains, this makes half of the former reversals next to useless. Do you know how dumb it would be to use raw Shoryuken as Ryu now? Not only do you suffer counter hit or crush counter punishes on whiffs, it's not even invincible on the start-up. What's even the point when you can just do cr. HP or st. HK and avoid the risks now? At least Guile's flash kick practically hits BEHIND him.

Capcom made a terrible decision, and a lot of people would agree with it. I tried to enjoy S2 but I'm tired of having to deal with it as it stands.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    Totally-not-Kula Joins the SF5 Cast

I think she is Mature, not Kula. Rekkas, blonde and assistant to one of the bad guys.

MatureWinXIII.png

Even the "new" haircut bears a semblance. Will we get a Vice with Fire powers?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Walt wrote: »

In their words, they felt it wasn't fair that the DLC characters had to spend meter to use reversals, so now every character who previously had a meterless one has to spend meter to use it. The PROBLEM with this is that outside of specific combo chains, this makes half of the former reversals next to useless. Do you know how dumb it would be to use raw Shoryuken as Ryu now? Not only do you suffer counter hit or crush counter punishes on whiffs, it's not even invincible on the start-up. What's even the point when you can just do cr. HP or st. HK and avoid the risks now? At least Guile's flash kick practically hits BEHIND him.

Capcom made a terrible decision, and a lot of people would agree with it. I tried to enjoy S2 but I'm tired of having to deal with it as it stands.

I don't think that's true. AFAIK, most formerly invincible reversal still have invincibility, it just got normalized to what other characters have. For example, Mika's EX peach has armor, but not until the 3rd frame. Ryu's MP Dragon Punch has invincibility, but not until the 3rd frame. Basically, they still have all the same stuff, but they no longer beat meaties. Which is the boat most other characters were in before.

MP Dragon Punch is still the best anti-air, given its invincibility on frames 3-6. You could probably even throw it in places where you used to, if your opponent doesn't have a tight handle on meaties and such, but I wouldn't risk it.

I think they still grant crush counters, which could probably stand to change now that they don't blow through everything.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Totally-not-Kula Joins the SF5 Cast

I think she is Mature, not Kula. Rekkas, blonde and assistant to one of the bad guys.

MatureWinXIII.png

Even the "new" haircut bears a semblance. Will we get a Vice with Fire powers?

It's easy enough to spot kof amalgams with more than one of modern Capcom's non-stereotyped characters now. Like the way Viper looks like a crude lovechild of Vanessa and Benimaru.

I mean, USF2 just ported violent Ken for some reason. Capcom's efforts to finally get the recognition they deserve for bring the greenest dev in gaming know no bounds.

stream
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    I mean, Capcom could do worse than crib old snk designs

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Putting Mature in SF5 is probably the only way of getting me to play it.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Putting Mature in SF5 is probably the only way of getting me to play it.

for the life of me i don't get why a game that is struggling would opt for 5"new" characters vs fan favorites.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    I don't understand why they're doing a mystery reveal for characters people have never seen before.

This discussion has been closed.