Options

[Monster Hunter] World. PS4 Beta on 12/9. Welcome new Hunters!

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    I don't know what I'm doing against daora. I'm going down the list in village for HRP and I've skipped over the 6* advanced daora for now because it feels like I need some counter to the wind aura in order to not have a terrible time. (I did teostra instead. Used a whole lot of potions and took awhile for a monster with village-scale HP, but I killed it and didn't cart so I'm calling that a success.)
    Anyway, what do you all do here? I have a 3 slot wind res +5 charm, so windproof hi is doable if I make a weapon with 2+ slots, but I wonder whether I can reasonably just stand outside where I would be affected by the aura and still be able to attack it.

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Cromarty wrote: »
    I don't know what I'm doing against daora. I'm going down the list in village for HRP and I've skipped over the 6* advanced daora for now because it feels like I need some counter to the wind aura in order to not have a terrible time. (I did teostra instead. Used a whole lot of potions and took awhile for a monster with village-scale HP, but I killed it and didn't cart so I'm calling that a success.)
    Anyway, what do you all do here? I have a 3 slot wind res +5 charm, so windproof hi is doable if I make a weapon with 2+ slots, but I wonder whether I can reasonably just stand outside where I would be affected by the aura and still be able to attack it.

I didn't spend much time against him in Generations but in prior versions I packed Poison weapons to stop the wind. I don't know if that's a long term solution though!

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Poison is the answer against Daora.

It turns him from a frustrating fight into a relatively easy one.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I just GS the head

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

Chameleos trumps Daora in basically every way. Its armor has Windproof and Earplugs and its weapons are poison.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I guess I'm whacking chameleos over and over now to make a switch axe because there is no chameleos CB and I am not farming that effing gold rathian for one weapon to fight one stupid cheeseball monster.
    e: Balor get. Now wind res gems.

Cromarty on
  • Options
    @Cromarty i would love to play some more generations, hit me up if you wanna guild sometime

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    That'd be great. How's Friday evening look, say 7pm EST and on?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Explains why I went from finding Daora pretty tolerable in 4U with the Venomous Perfume to finding it awful in Cross, since you can't get VP to a decent raw there.

• Options
    good hunts last night @Cromarty

i had forgotten how much i love Generations GS. My hammer skills are super rusty in that game

our Akantor runs were kinda rough (19 mins... not bad but not on par) but our hyper monsters quests were just a slaughter (6 mins duo hyper tiggy? yes pls)

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    How long did hyper lavasioth take us? Seven?

I went after hyper tigrex again this morning since I had half an hour to spare. Two knockouts, capped it at 15ish, only got one hyper scale though so I'm still one short of finishing the CB.

• Options
    How long did hyper lavasioth take us? Seven?

I went after hyper tigrex again this morning since I had half an hour to spare. Two knockouts, capped it at 15ish, only got one hyper scale though so I'm still one short of finishing the CB.

I think Hyper Lavasioth was 5:30 ish, we tore him apart in the first zone

tiggy has always been one of my favorite fights. The Tiggy CB in particular is dope as hell, that raw + sharpness is godlike

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So adept duals vs. Thunderlord is a super fun fight. I just spent the week soloing levels VI-X and boy is it a blast going toe to toe with Sparky. The simultaneous Gendrome or Bulldrome + fights in the forlorn arena can eat it though. Those were annoying.

Also, @Vyolynce my crowning moment against Thunderlord was adept corkscrewing through an attack while taking its tail off before hitting the ground. It made me feel like a pro.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I set off on a three star quest to gather Abyssal Mushrooms and as soon as I entered the zone I was attacked by a ??? Godzilla looking thing with a flaming tail and fireballs etc. After I failed the mission and started it again I was only faced with a Great Maccao. Was that some sort of random encounter I can expect to be faced with from time to time or...

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    Oh man, I set off on a three star quest to gather Abyssal Mushrooms and as soon as I entered the zone I was attacked by a ??? Godzilla looking thing with a flaming tail and fireballs etc. After I failed the mission and started it again I was only faced with a Great Maccao. Was that some sort of random encounter I can expect to be faced with from time to time or...

No... that's a pre-set encounter for that quest. You've just been introduced to Glavenus.

Although being ambushed is something you might want to get used to in the near future.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Lucent Malfestio? The Angriest (possibly Molten) Diablos? Gravios/Basarios return? Are we really sure we want this?

New hunter arts and prowler abilities look cool, as does the option to finally replace pre-existing prowler skills. Nerscylla and Barroth back...

Call it a wash, I guess.

• Options
    Imagine a world where MH gets a Switch release and they come out with themed Joycons.

One Melynx and one Felyne.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Some of the most fun I've had in 5 generations of Monster Hunter games is making a Status set with a paralyze Sword n Shield. Multiplayer was a blast when everything keeps getting locked down and the group can just recklessly mash the monster into the ground.

I remember a time back in Tri when I and a bunch of other people who had just reached high rank fought a Qurupeco with everyone wielding paralyze weapons. It was completely ridiculous.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Imagine a world where MH gets a Switch release and they come out with themed Joycons.

One Melynx and one Felyne.

Personally I'd like the game to return to playstation but that seems unlikely. I'd settle for the pc game though.

Also, I hopped on to gen the other day and the online was almost dead. There were like 6 rooms up total. Was pretty demoralizing. I guess if we get XX it will pick up again, but it will only be the diehard fans, many of which have that elitist prick mentality which turns me off from playing. I wish they would localize stories, I could stand a monster hunter jrpg.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    jothki wrote: »
    Some of the most fun I've had in 5 generations of Monster Hunter games is making a Status set with a paralyze Sword n Shield. Multiplayer was a blast when everything keeps getting locked down and the group can just recklessly mash the monster into the ground.

I remember a time back in Tri when I and a bunch of other people who had just reached high rank fought a Qurupeco with everyone wielding paralyze weapons. It was completely ridiculous.

yeah the Gobul LS was pretty broken and everyone rocked it until mid HR

EDIT: ggs @Cromarty

we got some really good marathon hunt times last night. that water one was 4 mons in 13 mins!!!

sorry about connection @Frosteey =[

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Also, I hopped on to gen the other day and the online was almost dead.

This reminds me that I never entered a random PUG room in Gen. Any time I went online it was via our discord channel or stumbling upon at least one friend online.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Thats strange, I can almost always find a random group in HR hunts

like all 3 pages of find a hub are always full, the ones that show up when you search all

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    MH Stickers for messaging are now available (iOS and Android) is that's your thing.

• Options
    So with games like these there are so many options I never know what I should be doing. How often should I be making new armor? What sets do I upgrade? Do I need to hoard these materials for something down the line? Some mechanics are still fairly obtuse to me. When fighting a Kut-Ku, will wearing armor with fire resist be helpful? If I drink a cold drink or eat chilled meat will it help protect against the fireballs etc.? Such a noob...

• Options
    Fire resist gear would help with his fire attacks, but work on learning when he is going to shoot them and dodging rather than crafting armor with small amounts of fire resist. Cold drinks are used in desert maps to prevent slowly burning and losing health, hot drinks are used in cold places to prevent stamina from draining really fast. Generally just keep going until you hit a wall then farm something for better armor.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Fire resist gear would help with his fire attacks, but work on learning when he is going to shoot them and dodging rather than crafting armor with small amounts of fire resist. Cold drinks are used in desert maps to prevent slowly burning and losing health, hot drinks are used in cold places to prevent stamina from draining really fast. Generally just keep going until you hit a wall then farm something for better armor.

I get what the drinks are supposed to do but I just wondered if they had any additional effects that weren't so obvious. I am pretty good with the dodging but it is just annoying when you misjudge and then you are on fire. Is there anything that helps to mitigate the time you are on fire? Does fire resist do that? Does it just lower the amount of fire damage you take? Is there a good resource for this kind of info out there somewhere?

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Is there anything that helps to mitigate the time you are on fire?

Stop, drop, and roll!

No, seriously: roll three times. (If you're using Aerial Style the jump dodge counts.) Roll through water and it goes out immediately.

Does fire resist do that? Does it just lower the amount of fire damage you take? Is there a good resource for this kind of info out there somewhere?

Enough fire resist does that. +15 specifically; you'll know when the color of the number changes. If you stack up a lot of resists (+30) you can actually become immune to the respective elemental blight. (EDIT: Just remembered I have my 3DS with me so I can actually check the UI here.)

+15 is a convenient number if you have five decoration slots, because that's exactly what the various "Soul of <town>" skills provide.

As for the new armor thing, what Enigmedic said: If you're clearing monsters with what you're wearing, it's probably fine. Upgrade it whenever you can, make a new set for different resistances/skills if you feel the need.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    So with games like these there are so many options I never know what I should be doing. How often should I be making new armor? What sets do I upgrade? Do I need to hoard these materials for something down the line? Some mechanics are still fairly obtuse to me. When fighting a Kut-Ku, will wearing armor with fire resist be helpful? If I drink a cold drink or eat chilled meat will it help protect against the fireballs etc.? Such a noob...

I'd worry more about skills than resists. Examine the armor that you can make for ones that have useful combinations of skills for your weapon. If the armor is significantly better than what you're currently wearing, kill that monster over and over until you can make the complete set. If there are no obvious upgrades, just go back to progressing until something does appear.

At the start, making a full set of Jaggi or Velocidrome or whatever is probably a reasonably safe bet.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »

I'd worry more about skills than resists. Examine the armor that you can make for ones that have useful combinations of skills for your weapon. If the armor is significantly better than what you're currently wearing, kill that monster over and over until you can make the complete set. If there are no obvious upgrades, just go back to progressing until something does appear.

At the start, making a full set of Jaggi or Velocidrome or whatever is probably a reasonably safe bet.

Right now I'm using the Insect Glaive and I have the full set of Hermituar armor solely because I could make the complete set. I'm working on the 3 star tier of quests. Does this seem reasonable?

• Options
    The biggest thing you get from armor are the skills, not the actual armor. Generally in low rank you don't need skills, but getting the attack+ ones are what people usually go for. Basically if you feel like you're doing fine, you are. At some point things will be a little harder if you have weird skills that don't really increase your damage or ability to dodge. If you look at the skill list on Kiranico.com you can find ones you like and work towards those armors. Just crafting every armor that you can make will very quickly make you run out of money once you start needing to upgrade more or make higher level armor. Also, sometimes crafting the gems and upgrading certain weapons will use a part that makes no sense at all, so it is often a good idea to not completely wipe out your stock of whichever monster's parts.

• Options
    The MHXX Demo is out in Japan.

There was at least one streamer I follow streaming it in English but since it was Valentines day watching it will have to wait until later on today sometime.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Now guard-Lance takes negative damage?

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    The MHXX Demo is out in Japan.

There was at least one streamer I follow streaming it in English but since it was Valentines day watching it will have to wait until later on today sometime.

Fuuuck region locking.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    "When you do a dash in Brave-mode, you get a guardpoint." Are you fucking kidding me with this shit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lcht0vmNdo

• Options
    I think I will still prefer adept for CB. Gimme that guard point on charge slash, adept block into instant charge slash/shield charge, adept dodge into elemental 2.

Also, is it just me, or does it feel like brave style is meant to be outright better than other styles? Like here, let's just give archdemon mode to every weapon, that'll be cool.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I think I will still prefer adept for CB. Gimme that guard point on charge slash, adept block into instant charge slash/shield charge, adept dodge into elemental 2.

Also, is it just me, or does it feel like brave style is meant to be outright better than other styles? Like here, let's just give archdemon mode to every weapon, that'll be cool.

Yeah, but you're limited by the fact that item use is not easy.

I won't be using that style for that reason. I rely on item use too much.

Matter of fact I will probably kick the tires on Alchemy style because it looks to be a nice support setup. And I will probably go back to SnS.

I missed it all through Gen.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    SnS has good Arts.
    Wait, does Brave SnS lose items?

• Options
    edited February 2017
    PLA wrote: »
    SnS has good Arts.
    Wait, does Brave SnS lose items?

I just mean in general it being a lot harder to sheathe. I don't think brave sns loses item use.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    So the main downside of Brave SnS is that SnS has many hunter-arts worth using, I guess.

• Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    @Vyolynce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss011L_pBOA

What's that you say? DBs needed an offensive parry/sharpness regaining move? Brave style is looking to be bananas for all weapons. Hammer and GL are looking to be especially fun.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.