Options

Southpaw Regional [chat] is the coolest ever

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I assume everyone on the internet is a dog until proven otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woPff-Tpkns

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    credeiki wrote: »
    Hey chatbros, would it be the worst if I asked you guys to use gender-neutral pronouns for me? I understand people really fucking hate singular 'they' for various reasons, so if it bothers you and/or you can't reconcile that with your mental image of me, you totally don't have to and I won't be offended.

But I figure that's a thing that I do, in fact, want, so I might as well ask.

There's no harm in asking and you're awesome so I'll do whatever you like. Easy peasey.

Ed: not that I wouldn't respect pronoun choices if someone wasn't awesome. Point is, you're awesome.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Dude/Man/Bro is the title on my business card

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Hey chatbros, would it be the worst if I asked you guys to use gender-neutral pronouns for me? I understand people really fucking hate singular 'they' for various reasons, so if it bothers you and/or you can't reconcile that with your mental image of me, you totally don't have to and I won't be offended.

Sure!

So like, I guess dude, man, and bro are out?

Man that's gonna be hard. I'm sorry if I do that too much. I'm old and I call everybody dude, man, and bro.

n-no?

That's not at all a problem; I too call everyone dude/man/bro

the whole point here is that I'm moving away from female identifiers; dude/bro are the opposite and I am quite pleased when I can just get away with being one of the bros...

Thank goodness!

dude/man/bro are p much all I use.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    So like, I guess dude, man, and bro are out?

I don't really know what people would prefer with these. I consider all three to be 100% gender neutral when I say them, but I'm not sure if that comes across.

Many of my bros are women and I hope they don't see my using that word as said in any way but with affection. I may be really naive

My buddy at work thinks it's pretty funny when I call her bro. She thinks it's just ridiculous.

But I fully realize that even though they are neutral to me. They aren't neutral by their base nature. And sometimes I worry that someone may not find it endearing.

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Dude/Man/Bro is the title on my business card

Speaking of lying...

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    bleh I guess I should just pack it in on this book (wangs vs the world) and just return it to the library

can you even read?

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Of course!

I am v interested in what motivates people to make this decision, though, and having met some pretty starkly different folks who prefer "they" I'm even more curious now

Hilariously, I have found that the difficulty of using it mostly manifests when the person isn't around, as singular "they" is typically used for an unidentified or non-specific person, so you get a lot of "that's what they said!" "Wait, who said?"

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    soleil-col.png

Here. this one is much manlier

Is that glass named "Sneeze Bra?"

i have no idea how you got that from it.

I guess it felt more clever in my head

"BRASSERIE D'ACHOUFFE"

V

"Brassiere D'achouffe"

V

"Brassiere D'Achoo'

V

"Bra of Sneeze"

ok that's a reach. :P

(but maybe also because the real pronunciation doesn't really line up. )

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I call everyone dudemanbro

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I've been trying to use "you guys" less but it is just so handy. I could say you all but southern roots them demand I shorten that to y'all and I don't want to advertise a southern accent.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Yo, Americans.

Why is the sex talk called "The birds and the bees"?

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    It was Elements of Style. I do not own it. Which means there is still a fire under my manga shelf....

I hope my cats can operate a fire extinguisher.

• Options
    Yo, Americans.

Well bees are constantly spreading plant semen everywhere

And birds fuck, I guess? I dunno.

• Options
    @credeiki will always be my dude/man/bro

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Yo, Americans.

Because nature but not immoral nature

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Yo, Americans.

Yeah, you'd think it would be "The rabbits and the dolphins"

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    John H. Dudeman, of the New Hampshire Dudemans

• Options
    Yo, Americans.

have you ever seen a bird fuck a bee?

it's majestic and amazing

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I do wish there was a better singular, gender neutral pronoun than "they." I don't mind it when referring to an unspecific or vague individual but it causes a mild mental catch when referring to a specific person.

This won't affect my ability to use it but blargh, deep seated grammatical hiccups

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Yo, Americans.

no one knows because sex is inherently mysterious

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »
    Yo, Americans.

Because nature but not immoral nature

I have yet to see birds get married in the eyes of god.

And don't get me started on that shameful display of cross species vulgarity that is bees and flowers.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I dunno but I suddenly hope the talk doesn't include the words "woodpecker" or "honeypot"

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    It was Elements of Style. I do not own it. Which means there is still a fire under my manga shelf....

I hope my cats can operate a fire extinguisher.

I can noyl assume your manga shelf is about 34% of your home. So it's too late

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ME:A conversation spoiler I saw in a video just now:
    "My personal code is "I got this"."

ffff

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I'm not ashamed to admit that for a long time I just assumed "the birds and the bees" were euphemisms for genitalia that I didn't really get because it didn't make that much sense.

Ok, writing that out maybe I am a little ashamed.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Yo, Americans.

Yeah, you'd think it would be "The rabbits and the dolphins"

I have that dvd

• Options
    Ilpala wrote: »
    I dunno but I suddenly hope the talk doesn't include the words "woodpecker" or "honeypot"

Prude

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    people have made up their minds already about ME:A but some of these reviews are scathing

• Options
    Doves are monogamous or something

Isn't that a myth though? I dunno birds are creepy.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    but for real, what's the "traditional" birds and Bees talk?

i'm just really confused here.

My parents gave me the "penises and vaginas" talk early on and then i got comprehensive sex ed.......

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    re: gender neutral...

I don't know how often I gender anyone in here. I am all folks and us and you and we and such.

Partly because unless I know and hang out with the person I generally assume I have no idea whatsoever.

But just know if for whatever reason with anyone I fuck up on this one it is deffo not out of malice or disregard to your preferences or anything else like that.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Delirium Tremens is still the grossest name for an alcohol

real good beer tho

Um

Umpossible

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Singular "they" has historical precedent going back hundreds and hundreds of years. And it's certainly better than all the Rick and Morty sounding invented pronouns. People have to get over that particular grammatical hang up.

Also I will try but since you're the only person I know requesting this, there is a good chance I'll fuck it up. I'll get there eventually.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    milski once you get past first mission there appear to be in level save points, at least on normal.
    (also, I guess vague spoilers (Nier Automata))
    you don't keep the weapons you have in the first mission going forward, and the start of the next mission (i haven't played it much) seems really slow paced - i have no idea why the actual intro is what it is outside of yoko taro GreyFace no space'ing us

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Less than 24 hours left before our glorious full unlocking of Andromeda. Mmmmmm.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    So Woah, another thing that happened this weekend was that I had multiple people tell me that I was not an unattractive man. And like not people I was going out with or my ma. This was very surreal for me. I go 40 years with only 2 people every telling me I wasn't unattractive and suddenly this year. Like more than just the woman I'm dating.

Weird. But like.. kind of confidence building, I won't lie.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yo, Americans.

have you ever seen a bird fuck a bee?

it's majestic and amazing

Hummingbirds are very popular with bees

Motion of the ocean, etc

tyrannus on
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Of course!

I am v interested in what motivates people to make this decision, though, and having met some pretty starkly different folks who prefer "they" I'm even more curious now

Hilariously, I have found that the difficulty of using it mostly manifests when the person isn't around, as singular "they" is typically used for an unidentified or non-specific person, so you get a lot of "that's what they said!" "Wait, who said?"

I can't provide the full justification at the moment; need to work some stuff out first.

But basically, I think it adequately reflects the reality of how I look and where I'm at mentally?
    Plus I super-hate being female so if I can impose my will on reality a little bit and make that slightly less so just by word choice, even only in certain spaces, I mean...why not, right? (Except for the fact that it's so very millennial, and awkward to get used to).

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    but for real, what's the "traditional" birds and Bees talk?

i'm just really confused here.

My parents gave me the "penises and vaginas" talk early on and then i got comprehensive sex ed.......

Euphemism for "springtime", because America is ruthlessly puritanical when it comes to sex.

jungleroomx on
This discussion has been closed.