Options

Not Doing Anything Tonight? Eh, Might As Well Go To The [MOVIES].

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2017
    https://youtu.be/VZjBpt5mCCA

Wish Upon looks like it has potential to be awesome. At least have some fucking great on screen deaths.

And Sherilyn Fenn is in it!

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    "Float?" The clown’s grin widened. "Oh yes, indeed they do. They float!"

578k6dv8rxue.jpg

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I saw power rangers

I teared up a little

It's not perfect. But they made a movie that feels like it honors the series, doesn't feel like a cash grab, and felt like these kids were worthy to be rangers.

I'm very happy.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    One of these days I'll have to sit down and just edit all three Hobbit films into something more manageable/entertaining.

in the eighties, we just called that recording over the tape
    FAQ wrote: »
    always nice to see a trailer from the good mcdonagh

but this isn't the one who made calvary so that's false

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    One of these days I'll have to sit down and just edit all three Hobbit films into something more manageable/entertaining.

Who's this "we?"

Aren't you two years older than me???

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options

Who's this "we?"

four years, child

i think

i don't know how old you are

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Who's this "we?"

four years, child

i think

i don't know how old you are

Old 'nuff

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm older than all of you fools.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Oh shit, Iko Uwais speaks good English. Hollywood better fucking watch out

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So we saw Kong: Skull Island last night.

I enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect, but it was a pretty fun movie for what it was. I'll watch just about anything with Brie Larson in it (with the lone exception of Short Term 12), though. My three main complaints is that it is really on the nose (there is nothing subtle about this movie at all), wtf were deer doing in a jungle, and Jing Tian had literally nothing to do.

Minor spoiler about that:
    I mean, the geologist explains how biology works, even when the biologist - played by Jing Tian - is like, RIGHT THERE.

Special effects were really great. Some shots were suuuuuuper cheesy (with a few that looked like they were legit framed just to be desktop wallpapers), but I mean they were all still great because you got the sense that that was the point? Kinda?

Anyway, yeah, it was an enjoyable movie. I'm quite reluctant to call it "good", though.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

I enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect, but it was a pretty fun movie for what it was. I'll watch just about anything with Brie Larson in it (with the lone exception of Short Term 12), though. My three main complaints is that it is really on the nose (there is nothing subtle about this movie at all), wtf were deer doing in a jungle, and Jing Tian had literally nothing to do.

I mean, the geologist explains how biology works, even when the biologist - played by Jing Tian - is like, RIGHT THERE.

Special effects were really great. Some shots were suuuuuuper cheesy (with a few that looked like they were legit framed just to be desktop wallpapers), but I mean they were all still great because you got the sense that that was the point? Kinda?

Anyway, yeah, it was an enjoyable movie. I'm quite reluctant to call it "good", though.

I was kind of cranky about Jing Tian too, but
    after that stinger, I'm hoping she turns into a BFD in the next one. That'd be kind of nice.

Your criticism is pretty spot on though.

"Fun" is the word I would use.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    It felt like Jing Tian was quite literally only in the movie to look pretty.

She traverses tropical jungles, swamps and volatile gas graveyards and remains immaculate the entire time.

It was freaking bizarre.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »

I was kind of cranky about Jing Tian too, but
    after that stinger, I'm hoping she turns into a BFD in the next one. That'd be kind of nice.

Your criticism is pretty spot on though.

"Fun" is the word I would use.

Yeah, I have the same thoughts about Jing Tian.

Minor spoiler, this time about a specific shot in the movie that's so on the nose I both liked it and wanted to roll my eyes:
    Early in the movie, one of the army dudes has his gun pointed at something (was it the water buffalo?). He is told to put his gun down, so he slowly lowers it. As the muzzle drops out of frame, Weaver (Larson's character) slowly raises her camera while standing behind him, and the focus shifts onto her.

All this, shortly after the chat on the boat about cameras > guns in war.

Like, UGH, THERE IS NOTHING SUBTLE ABOUT THIS SHOT, WHY DO I LIKE IT SO MUCH.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Pretty and to appeal to the Chinese market, I guess?

I also had fun watching it, but I had a weird quibble with an action scene:
    I loved John C. Reilly mutter a japanese pre-mortem one liner and going to town with the katana, and yet hated it when he tossed the sword to Hiddleston and Hiddleston doing his action bit. I was like "Oh so Loki knows how to slash airborne buggers with a sword now?"

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    It felt like Jing Tian was quite literally only in the movie to look pretty.

She traverses tropical jungles, swamps and volatile gas graveyards and remains immaculate the entire time.

It was freaking bizarre.
    I did have a giggle though that Brie goes from almost drowning to basically being in the throat of a skull crusher... and then like within a few minutes of in-movie time she's basically looking immaculate again while sitting on the boat.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Oh shit, Iko Uwais speaks good English. Hollywood better fucking watch out

I'm really hoping he returns in the Star Wars movies, cuz he didn't actually say anything himself in VII.

But really, I'm hoping he gets more high-profile work at all.

Dude can kill a dude on a broken door and next minute totally sell me on the emotional weight of an otherwise absurd situation. Ugh. What a talent.

• Options
    Ludi Lin, who plays Zack in the new power rangers movie, is a really fun young chinese actor who I hope gets a lot more work in hollywood, I think he's got a lot of talent

uh

Also because he looks like this

CR8zk0kWwAAivo9.png

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    The Raid movies get a lot of (deserved) credit for the choreography but maybe the real reason i love them so much is that every actor in them sells even the most 2D characterizations as hard as you could possibly wish for and i want basically that entire cast to get all the work they deserve

Every single shitty crime boss is just the most shitty and i love it

• Options
    edited March 2017
    The Raid movies get a lot of (deserved) credit for the choreography but maybe the real reason i love them so much is that every actor in them sells even the most 2D characterizations as hard as you could possibly wish for and i want basically that entire cast to get all the work they deserve

The entire movie is just dialled up to 11 and I remember being surprised at how much I liked it, as I usually prefer a lighter or more layered/nuanced touch.

But then Mad Max: Fury Road is also my top #1 favourite movie ever, so evidently it's not that dialling everything up to 11 is bad, it just needs to be done right.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

I think I read somewhere that the guy who played the machete miniboss deals in real estate IRL.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I would just love to see a fighting tournament movie that gathered up the current bunch of martial arts actors and had them fight each other. Iko Uwais, Scott Adkins, Donnie Yen, Michael Jai White, Wu Jing, etc.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I would just love to see a fighting tournament movie that gathered up the current bunch of martial arts actors and had them fight each other. Iko Uwais, Scott Adkins, Donnie Yen, Michael Jai White, Wu Jing, etc.

Some sort of combat between mortals...

• Options

no

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

I like it, but it needs more of an edge.

Maybe if we replaced the C with a K?

Nah, it'll never work.

• Options

IM HERE IM HERE HI IM SORRY I WAS ASLEEP BUT IM AWAKE NOW

• Options
    edited March 2017
    You three are cruising for a bruising, you are.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Nah maybe just have them fight in the street?

• Options
    How about a movie where two bad... fellows have to rescue the president?

• Options
    Why must you defile my dream like this?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Okay, there's these assassins who have tattoos and...

• Options
    Half of me wants to do one, half of me wants to hit the lot of you with a two by four.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Maybe the winner gets to be some sort of fighting monarch

• Options
    Let me tell you about this movie idea that I have about freaks that are biologically enhanced

• Options
    Do these freaks love to kill? Are thrilled to, even?

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Power Rangers was such a large amount of fun. I really dug it.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Also @Chincymcchilla , I'm really, really glad you liked it. If it had stunk on ice or if you had ended up having it, I honestly think it would have broke my heart a little.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Wow, this is really shaping up to be the last fight ever...

• Options
    banned

banned

you're all banned

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Two dragons but they are guys though.

• Options
    you might even say these fighters were molded out of clay

their anger is ancient

they have murderous wits

6vjsgrerts6r.png

This discussion has been closed.