As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Screen Tearing?

So I've had this issue for a while, it never really bothered me all that much, but if it can be fixed then I'll go for it.

While gaming, I get horizontal lines across the screen from time to time, typically when the graphics are moving, best example would be riding the elevators in Dark Souls. From what I could find it sounded like screen tearing which is what vsync should fix. No matter what I do though, I always have the tearing, with it on, or off.

At first I thought it was my video card which was a couple years old but after replacing it for a new RX 470, I still have the same issue, so I'm thinking it is the monitor now. I have an LG 24MB35 monitor which looks great for everything else. Is there something I could adjust that would improve the tearing?

iRevert wrote: »
Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
Steam: MyiagrosX27

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Try running the game in windowed fullscreen.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    That did the trick. I had to download a program to force Borderless but I haven't seen any issues since. I'm using this in case anyone has the same problem: http://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Myiagros wrote: »
    That did the trick. I had to download a program to force Borderless but I haven't seen any issues since. I'm using this in case anyone has the same problem: http://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/

For a technical explanation:
    Vsync should have fixed your problem except many games don't have a good vsync implementation. Windows itself has a good vsync implementation that it uses to prevent screen tearing on the desktop, so running a game in any form of windowed mode nets you vsync for free.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Can't you just set your card to Vsync with the software?

I know nVidia cards have the option and it solved my issue.

• Options
    Can't you just set your card to Vsync with the software?

I know nVidia cards have the option and it solved my issue.

Doesn't always work well with every game engine, and I think Nvidia drivers are more successful with it. Also, Directx implemented triple buffering adds a lot of input lag if it's not a good custom implementation (like the one built into window's windowing system).