Options

[Movies]: YOU MANIACS!!! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean the movie has its problems, but I mean it at least treated a rape as wrong, and screwing your future son is something you shouldn't just do.

But the second was only cause of the temporal paradox, not cause it was wrong.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    The bit about Marty creating Johnny B. Goode I always thought was a silly joke that they never really thought through. Which obviously has it's own problems but for an 80's movie at least it's relatively benign.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    My mind was blown today. I found out that Robert Picardo was The Swamp Witch in Legend. I have watched Star Trek Voyager and Legend a ton of times and never realized.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I'm just wondering if George is super suspicious of Lorraine cheating on him. I mean one of their kids is the spitting image of that guy who use to live at Lorraine's house.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I don't think the series does well by Jennifer...

But really, the problematic gender stuff has less to do with the treatment of the women and more about it's (admittedly very normal 80s) view of masculinity.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That's the Power of Love.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Sometimes i think you folks spend way to much time and think way to hard about stuff.
    BttF was awesome, and will remain awesome and not everything is a political commentary or plot point. Stand By Me was wonderful and a vitally important movie in my childhood. As was Breakfast Club.
    So was Revenge of the Nerds.

Not every movie should be read and studied under some political correct microscope. What did i learn from Revenge of the Nerds? That its totally ok and acceptable to not be a jock. And that cool people come in every shape, form and size.
    That....thats it. Neither myself, nor any other person i've ever met in any appreciable manner took away from that movie that it was ok to rape.

Stand by me showed me the value of best friends and adventure.
    Back to the Future was gateway sci-fi and -along with star wars and star trek- ignited a life long fascination with science.
    Breakfast Club showed me that every clique in high school was still composed of actual people with interesting stories and reasons and that there was no reason to not be friends with everyone.

In all my years on this earth i never ONCE took away from BttF the idea that Marty invented Rock and Roll. Seriously not once.
    I kind of wonder what even leads someone to look at classics like those movies and search for the negatives so much.

• Options
    There is some stuff that just doesn't translate well and isn't good (the sex stuff in Nerds in particular), but there is a lot of micromanaging those films and ascribing deliberate malice when it's just general ambivalence.

Primary prognosis: super jelly.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Revenge of the nerds has a flat out rape that the movie says is ok, that is negative no matter the era.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Revenge of the nerds has a flat out rape that the movie says is ok, that is negative no matter the era.

Plus the spying and recording and distributing naked pictures of women who weren't aware.

He literally rapes a woman to make her fall in love with him and the movie laughs it off.

The movie has some good lessons but some seriously fucked up ones as well.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Culture shapes social attitudes, whether you want it to or not. Movies can have both positive and negative lessons, and they can be both explicit and implicit. Films can be excellent and also problematic. Everything is political.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The way it portrays black people isn't very good either.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    to be fair, Chuck Berry stole "Johnny B. Goode" from Louis Jordan, who was pretty amazing in his own right

• Options
    Anthony Michael Hall is the original Johnny Be Good.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I can't help but think there is a darker movie underlying BttF where the Marty we see go back at the end fucks up and winds up in Prime Marty's reality with the deadbeat parents and asshole Biff.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    As someone who's main exposure to Revenge of the Nerds is through American Dad I am flummoxed as to why this one movie is the heated topic of debate.
    Does anyone actually remember this movie as anything other than an easy target?

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Revenge of the Nerds does a good idea of tying nerd tolerance to general tolerance, with the nerds becoming a chapter of the black fraternity who then later comes to their aid in a show of solidarity, and i like to give them points for Lamar, even if he was flaming and stereotypical as fuck.

One of the funny things dating the movie, aside from the massive movement on sexual mores, is to compare Revenge of the Nerds with Animal House, or how a guy like Booger would be anti-nerd in most other works. Booger would be an antagonistic figure if someone like him were introduced on Big Bang Theory, the lodestar for stereotypical nerddom in the modern day. Or how being gay doesn't automatically make you a nerd nowadays.

• Options
    Holy shit STALKER is getting a new digitally remastered release:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuOnfQd-aTw

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

I'm assuming the game was based on this? I've never seen it, but the game would have been great... If it wasn't so buggy.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »

I'm assuming the game was based on this? I've never seen it, but the game would have been great... If it wasn't so buggy.

Yeah, there are a lot of thematic differences though. The movie is also loosely based on the book "Road Side Picnic" which I recommend everyone read.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    There is some stuff that just doesn't translate well and isn't good (the sex stuff in Nerds in particular), but there is a lot of micromanaging those films and ascribing deliberate malice when it's just general ambivalence.

Primary prognosis: super jelly.

Maybe its been a long time since ive watched Revenge of the Nerds (goodness, 20+ years i suppose) but i have fond memories of that movie.

• Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Also, Real Genius for best 80s super nerd flick.

Who knew Iceman was a world renowned laser developer before winning Top Gun?

And all this after he saved the world from the nazis with the power of rock and roll.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I don't think the series does well by Jennifer...

But really, the problematic gender stuff has less to do with the treatment of the women and more about it's (admittedly very normal 80s) view of masculinity.

It does teach that you shouldn't blow your top just because someone challenges your bravery

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Visskar wrote: »
    Also, Real Genius for best 80s super nerd flick.

Who knew Iceman was a world renowned laser developer before winning Top Gun?

And all this after he saved the world from the nazis with the power of rock and roll.

Holy shit!! I never thought of that!

Nick Rivers is Chris Knight is Tom Kazansky...does that mean Iceman morphs into Dr. Cunt?!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Sometimes i think you folks spend way to much time and think way to hard about stuff.
    BttF was awesome, and will remain awesome and not everything is a political commentary or plot point. Stand By Me was wonderful and a vitally important movie in my childhood. As was Breakfast Club.

Not every movie should be read and studied under some political correct microscope. What did i learn from Revenge of the Nerds? That its totally ok and acceptable to not be a jock. And that cool people come in every shape, form and size.
    That....thats it. Neither myself, nor any other person i've ever met in any appreciable manner took away from that movie that it was ok to rape.

Back to the Future was gateway sci-fi and -along with star wars and star trek- ignited a life long fascination with science.
    Breakfast Club showed me that every clique in high school was still composed of actual people with interesting stories and reasons and that there was no reason to not be friends with everyone.

In all my years on this earth i never ONCE took away from BttF the idea that Marty invented Rock and Roll. Seriously not once.
    I kind of wonder what even leads someone to look at classics like those movies and search for the negatives so much.

Anything and everything is eligible for analysis.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar as well.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar as well.

It's Carlin, so, yeah, NSFW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY1eXnbB1Mg

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I watched The Void tonight, and while it wasn't great it was a totally enjoyable Cronenberg/Lovecraft mash-up. Definitely a solid addition to a genre that doesn't really see that many entries.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    I watched The Void tonight, and while it wasn't great it was a totally enjoyable Cronenberg/Lovecraft mash-up. Definitely a solid addition to a genre that doesn't really see that many entries.

Practical gore effects thumbs up?

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Martyrs

Nah.

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    There's a popular narrative that analyzing or criticizing something is done out of spite and malice.

Now, I can't really say that never happens because, well, it certainly does, but it's an uncharitable interpretation to assume that all criticism comes from a place of negativity.

EDIT: I can only speak anecdotally, but for most of the people I know, the big reason they analyze or critique is to understand. Seeing how all the moving parts work, in and out of context, gives them an appreciation of the work as a whole.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Practical gore effects thumbs up?

Hm. I think I was more impressed by the creature effects than the gore effects, but thumbs up to both.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    There's a popular narrative that analyzing or criticizing something is done out of spite and malice.

Now, I can't really say that never happens because, well, it certainly does, but it's an uncharitable interpretation to assume that all criticism comes from a place of negativity.

EDIT: I can only speak anecdotally, but for most of the people I know, the big reason they analyze or critique is to understand. Seeing how all the moving parts work, in and out of context, gives them an appreciation of the work as a whole.

You can love things and still want them to be better.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

Sure and its totally possible to over analyze things as well.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

Pointing out incredibly straightforward things like "white man inventing black rock is a bit off" and "this movie is kind of rapey" is only overanalyzing if your criteria for regular analysis is stuff like "this movie has colors and dialogue".

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    So I've been re-reading Stephen King's IT and was thinkin' about the original 1990 film and the upcoming 2017 version earlier today and someone pointed out that it's been 27 years since the last film.
    Which is exactly the number of years IT slumbers for between periods of activity in the book.

Just a little neat factoid that I thought was cool.

Shit, I was younger than most of the kids in the original film when it came out. But now it's time to go back... to Derry.

RT800 on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Pointing out incredibly straightforward things like "white man inventing black rock is a bit off" and "this movie is kind of rapey" is only overanalyzing if your criteria for regular analysis is stuff like "this movie has colors and dialogue".

More specifically it's overanalysis because it's negative. Which is laid out pretty clearly at the top of this quote tree in the original post, since that was the part under contention.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    If the movie earns it, I've got no problem with it getting its due criticism. But outside of the egregious examples, like Sixteen Candles, it usually doesn't change my opinion about a movie. It's hard to fault a movie for being of its time. I don't think it was Robert Zemeckis's intent to erase a black artist, it was just a throw away joke before cultural appropriation was such a widespread concept. It's useful to look back and point to things that are no longer acceptable. It's not condemnation of the older work, it's just learning and growth.

What's strange to me is the visceral reaction a lot of people get to movies they love being criticized. I have the exact opposite reaction, where I get irrational about people praising a movie I hate. I can listen to hours off BttF getting torn to shreds and it doesn't faze me, but I have to close the forums whenever Texiken brings up Blank Has Fallen, lest I lose my shit. I have an overpowering need to explain why they are asstastic that I think comes from the same place as those sensitive to criticism.

Atlas in Chains on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I think this kind of thing happens in comedy everything to some degree. People!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Tenzytile wrote: »
    Martyrs

Nah.

Best review ever.

(I'm not being sarcastic.)

This discussion has been closed.