As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2017 Soon™ Thread

• Options
    forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    skitch78 wrote: »
    Also, are Enforcer applications open after ticket sales? I was considering doing it for this year, but the site says, "ENFORCER APPLICATIONS FOR PAX WEST 2016 ARE NOW CLOSED." so when can I expect 2017 applications to be open?

It doesn't look like anyone answered your question yet. It is possible that enforcer applications may not open at all. Enforcers are staffed first from previous enforcers, and public applications are only posted if they don't get enough OG enforcers that are interested. There have been several years that they have not put out a call for West/Prime enforcers at all.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    As someone who used to work in market research, and used to launch online surveys regularly (Translation: something similar to say, a ticket purchasing site)...I can say Fridays are very, very unlikely for them to open ticket orders.

The simple reason is, if anything goes glitchy or wrong, you're under a very, very tight deadline to fix it, lest it remain FUBAR for an entire weekend. We avoiding launching surveys on Friday like the PLAGUE.
    Yeah, but they don't really have to worry about that for PAX West, because the tickets sell out in under an hour. If there was still something going wrong by the end of the work day, it means they would be in a horrible situation no matter which day they chose.

That's assuming the launch goes flawlessly and something doesn't go screwy with say, the servers. If you launch the tickets and the servers melt down for some bug-related reason and it's 3PM on a Friday? that is a disaster.

You just don't launch on Friday. It's never a good idea. (That's not to say that they won't, just that they are unlikely to)
    But my point is, it's a disaster no matter which day they do it if the system is so horrible that it isn't fixed by the end of the business day, since it only has to work for under an hour. Can you imagine how many people would be there F5ing if they announced at 1pm tickets are on sale, the system went down within the half hour and at 4pm the system was still down? It could be a Tuesday or a Friday, it makes no difference, it would be a giant disaster for the ticket company. The ticket sales would have to be delayed until a later date regardless (since part of the strategy is that nobody knows when they will go on sale)

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't that happen a few years ago?

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    DashD wrote: »
    As someone who used to work in market research, and used to launch online surveys regularly (Translation: something similar to say, a ticket purchasing site)...I can say Fridays are very, very unlikely for them to open ticket orders.

The simple reason is, if anything goes glitchy or wrong, you're under a very, very tight deadline to fix it, lest it remain FUBAR for an entire weekend. We avoiding launching surveys on Friday like the PLAGUE.
    Yeah, but they don't really have to worry about that for PAX West, because the tickets sell out in under an hour. If there was still something going wrong by the end of the work day, it means they would be in a horrible situation no matter which day they chose.

That's assuming the launch goes flawlessly and something doesn't go screwy with say, the servers. If you launch the tickets and the servers melt down for some bug-related reason and it's 3PM on a Friday? that is a disaster.

You just don't launch on Friday. It's never a good idea. (That's not to say that they won't, just that they are unlikely to)
    But my point is, it's a disaster no matter which day they do it if the system is so horrible that it isn't fixed by the end of the business day, since it only has to work for under an hour. Can you imagine how many people would be there F5ing if they announced at 1pm tickets are on sale, the system went down within the half hour and at 4pm the system was still down? It could be a Tuesday or a Friday, it makes no difference, it would be a giant disaster for the ticket company. The ticket sales would have to be delayed until a later date regardless (since part of the strategy is that nobody knows when they will go on sale)

Yes, you are right (and the sale started on a Wednesday even). From the spreadsheet:
    Pax Prime '12 badges sold out in < 24 total hours. Registration went
    up Apr 25, but was overwhelmed. Shortly after it was put back up only to
    suffer the same fate. On May 2nd a new registration site was put up
    that sold the remaining badges.

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular

And for PAX East, the year they announced the ticket date ahead of time- mind you in that case, it was the hotel booking that died, not the tickets themselves.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Yes, you are right (and the sale started on a Wednesday even). From the spreadsheet:
    Pax Prime '12 badges sold out in < 24 total hours. Registration went
    up Apr 25, but was overwhelmed. Shortly after it was put back up only to
    suffer the same fate. On May 2nd a new registration site was put up
    that sold the remaining badges.

It's important to remember that 2012 was kind of the year that everything went to hell with badge sales. Up to that point, they had never had any kind of indication that badges would be in that kind of demand. They shut the whole thing down, went back to the drawing board, and relaunched the page. I think that issue is a big part of the reason why badges sell out so quickly now. I think they have a much better system in place now so that if there are any issues they can resolved them quickly.

But it's still terrible to do it in on a Friday. No one wants to be putting out fires all weekend.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Sooooooo this week for sure right? ;)

• Options
    Canderson1989Canderson1989 Registered User regular
    I think so. It probably won't be during the week of Memorial Day next week.

• Options
    sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    I've had multiple friends speculate this week for sure, most likely Tuesday, so I am both nervous and excited.

• Options
    krae_mankrae_man Registered User regular
    It's Victoria Day here and I'm sitting on my computer all day. Yah!

Going to have to do the same thing tomorrow too since work is closed for water pipe repairs. Whoo 4 day weekend and I can't leave my PC!

• Options
    RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    sedirox wrote: »
    I've had multiple friends speculate this week for sure, most likely Tuesday, so I am both nervous and excited.

I have a weird feeling it will be this week, too (but maybe that weird feeling is just me wanting it to be over so I can move on with my life)

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • Options
    AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    Just got the text! No badges before Memorial Day

• Options
    cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    Thank you PAX!

• Options
  • Options
    skitch78skitch78 Registered User regular
    See you all after the 30th!

• Options
    AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    (It was scary seeing "PAX" in the header, though...)

• Options
    I love seeing them tweet and then you just look at the endless replies of "HEART ATTACK"! LMAO.

• Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    My initial prediction of post memorial day badges came true! Time to buy a lotto ticket!

• Options
    I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular

We had the infamous crash of 2012

ZYseqtZ.png
  • Options
    Aagggh stop messing with my head, PAX

• Options
    mentaljasonmentaljason Registered User regular
    So I am pretty concerned over the fact that my tweet notification came a whole 9 minutes after the tweet. Don't suppose anyone knows what could be the cause of this? On Android and on steady wifi the whole time

PAX Prime 2013/14/15 [x]
    PAX East 2016 [x]
    PAX West 2016 [x]
    PAX West 2017 [Awaiting badges]

• Options
    So I am pretty concerned over the fact that my tweet notification came a whole 9 minutes after the tweet. Don't suppose anyone knows what could be the cause of this? On Android and on steady wifi the whole time

Not sure about you, but last year I had my notifications sent through my Google Fi # and some notifications would take a long time. After last years issues, I tested out this year with another account and noticed a delay on some notifications, so switched back to my Ting #, no delay. If you've got another number you can use, you might want to try and test with some other Twitter account.

• Options
    Croatian SensationCroatian Sensation Registered User regular
    Well I'm glad my hands stop shaking from the tweet. At least I can have a normal life until next Wednesday!

• Options
    anettie76anettie76 OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017

Mine didn't come at all. I'm freaking out. I didn't get the tweet notification. I redid the notification just to be safe. If this was the real thing I would have missed it COMPLETELY! Ugh!

anettie76 on
    5fac6ex5bpmi.jpg

• Options
    DruidsFlameDruidsFlame Registered User regular

Yeah, somehow my push SMS notifications got turned off. Talk about heart attack! Glad this gave me a test!! :lol:

sEf3HzW.png
    PAX PRIME 2018 Status: Badges [√] Room [√] Waiting [ :x ]
    PoGo Trainer Code:4505 8413 2232
  • Options
    The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    I just need to say ilu all!

I was missing this thread for the first half of the month. Though I plan to enforce this year, I enjoy the hype, comraderie and anticipation of this thread. :) (and I have to keep an eye on sales for friends!)

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • Options

I was missing this thread for the first half of the month. Though I plan to enforce this year, I enjoy the hype, comraderie and anticipation of this thread. :) (and I have to keep an eye on sales for friends!)

I've never met anyone here outside of this annual thread, but for the last 5-6 years, feel the same way. It's just more fun to suffer the wait with others.

• Options
    solomon123solomon123 Registered User regular
    9wbdqg2l2zea.gif

xg81x9uysw01.png
  • Options
    PookyAlertPookyAlert Registered User regular
    This was, after my heart went into my throat (I was heading to a meeting of course) an excellent test of the Emergency PAX Alert System. So it looks like the text for me was instantaneous, yeah, confidence built, and now I can just, well, try to lower my blood pressure and relax until next week.

Of course now I'm sitting here thinking it's going to be next week for sure, when my intellect says it's going to be the week after that. :wink: I did miss this thread being active as well, though the angst of it being active for two-three months is not something I miss quite so much. :biggrin:

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    This year, I finally have tweet notifications set up right for once I think. This year, I won't fail... (I bet they'll tweet it right when I enter the tunnel with no reception)

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular

I'm right there with you! While I plan to continue enforcing at PAX West, I'm the PAX Emergency Alert system for most of my friends. I nearly dove out of my chair to start rapidly texting people when the alert came through today, the tension is so high!

What department are you hoping to work in?

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    captian54captian54 Vidographer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Just sitting here watching the thread for new posts. lol. It gets quiet after a "not until after this day" post.

R3z3wlJ.png
    ZOHC4v.png
  • Options
    Playstation E3 Theatre Experience tickets go on sale tomorrow.

Yah, I get to panic about getting tickets to two things tomorrow.

• Options
    Croatian SensationCroatian Sensation Registered User regular
    You're good tomorrow for pax tickets. In the tweet they said they won't go on sale until after the 30th. Still sounds stressful to get those Playstation tickets!

• Options
    You never know. One time they said, "Tickets not on sale until well after X" and they went on sale like the day after that date.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    krae_man wrote: »
    You never know. One time they said, "Tickets not on sale until well after X" and they went on sale like the day after that date.

Which in this case would be Wednesday the 31st.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I wouldn't be surprised if the sale was the day after(May 31st) or June 1st.

Edit: Okay, how many of you got heart attacks today? LMAO.

Canderson1989 on
  • Options
    Good morning F5 warriors! Who else got a heart attack from the 7am tweet that the site had technical difficulties?

• Options
    Good morning F5 warriors! Who else got a heart attack from the 7am tweet that the site had technical difficulties?

UM. I didn't get that tweet, or the others saying it was cleared up. WTF D:

• Options
    RiDE wrote: »

UM. I didn't get that tweet, or the others saying it was cleared up. WTF D:

Well, at least you got a field test and know to go look at all your settings. When I set up my alerts, I used a 2nd Twitter account to test things, but you could always just pick a person who tweets a ton. Since very probably we won't see another tweet from that account until badges are on sale.

• Options
    Playstation Theatre Experience website crashed hardcore,but I managed to get a ticket. One down, one to go!

This discussion has been closed.