As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior/BATTLETECH] THREAD DESIGNATED FOR DISASSEMBLY, SEE NEW THREAD

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    You guys just got the Oosiks into a canon sourcebook and we're hankering for a reboot now?

You guys are butts

Our Anthem in case you forgot.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    You guys just got the Oosiks into a canon sourcebook and we're hankering for a reboot now?

You guys are butts

Well, I mean..D'uh?

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    MWO news, the 2016 Loyalty mechs are now available for c-bills. For those who want to check out the Summoner builds, or the ECM Stalker.
    2016 Loyalty variants: Standard Versions Now Available for C-Bills
    June 20th 2017

CTF-3L 9,723,953 C-Bills
    BJ-2 3,782,461 C-Bills
    STK-3FB 8,828,752 C-Bills
    HBR-F 13,085,313 C-Bills
    SMN-F 13,769,301 C-Bills
    SMN-M 14,031,721 C-Bills

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    a Hexa-ERLL stalker with ECM? Interesting.

• Options
    hairystevehairysteve Registered User regular
    Are they aware that Oosiks is a dick joke though??
    On another note oosik makes a great knife handle.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    hairysteve wrote: »

I specifically explained what an oosik is, and how both the dick joke and walrus nod tie into it being a Penny Arcade Forum group in the e-mail I sent them, so it's not like they weren't warned. I also mentioned about the traditional use for knife and tool handles.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    hairysteve wrote: »

I specifically explained what an oosik is, and how both the dick joke and walrus nod tie into it being a Penny Arcade Forum group in the e-mail I sent them, so it's not like they weren't warned. I also mentioned about the traditional use for knife and tool handles.

"Oosiks are often tools"

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    So do the OOSIKs not do much faction-play wise? I clicked on the tab to look at what we were doing, and see if I need to purchase some IS mechs to participate, and it looks like we don't do much.

On to the dick joke. The Penny-Arcade groups that don't incorporate some kind of wang joke are the outliers. The Oosik joke is more clever than most.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    So do the OOSIKs not do much faction-play wise? I clicked on the tab to look at what we were doing, and see if I need to purchase some IS mechs to participate, and it looks like we don't do much.

On to the dick joke. The Penny-Arcade groups that don't incorporate some kind of wang joke are the outliers. The Oosik joke is more clever than most.

There's been rumblings of wang-fatigue from various places on the forums.

I hope I never suffer from any type of wang-fatigue.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Never Forget the lessons of the great Madden

V4NaRz3.jpg

I wish I had the rest of these still.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Faction play requires a much greater resource commitment. You want 2 scout mechs and 8 invasion mechs.

Then it takes a longer amount of time to complete matches, making it more of a time commitment.

Also, the mode has no matchmaker, so dropping solo with a team filled out with LRM potatoes may have you squared off against a full premade on the other side outfitted with cutting edge meta mechs that are already 20% stronger than anything you can drive.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

Faction play requires a much greater resource commitment. You want 2 scout mechs and 8 invasion mechs.

Then it takes a longer amount of time to complete matches, making it more of a time commitment.

Also, the mode has no matchmaker, so dropping solo with a team filled out with LRM potatoes may have you squared off against a full premade on the other side outfitted with cutting edge meta mechs that are already 20% stronger than anything you can drive.

That makes sense. Could we benefit by switching to a Mercenary Unit instead of Loyalist? Or does that not really change anything?

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    In today's BATTLETECH in the Morning, I put to the test the theory that knockdowns plus autocannon fire to the face gives satisfactory results.

The theory is sound.

https://youtu.be/ExrwQkmXZqE

As an aside, is there anything any of you would like to see featured in my daily series? Coming up with a schtick each day is hard, and I'd welcome any suggestions.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »

V4NaRz3.jpg

Hahah god damn these were my favorite.

I wish MWO didn't look so impenetrable after two years away. Skill trees? System mods? Quirks?

I also have a lot of other good games to play right now, but it's nice to know the enthusiasm is still there. Looking forward to HBS'tech.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    That was partly how the oosik joke came about.
    Most of the old guard were in their early 30s, and while there was a bit of dick joke fatigue back then, oosik irregulars was was well received due to its obscurity of use, giving a nod to flock_of_walrus for giving us nda'd beta footage, and that irregulars worked on multiple levels of player skill/commitment and funny looking dick joke.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »

Hahah god damn these were my favorite.

I wish MWO didn't look so impenetrable after two years away. Skill trees? System mods? Quirks?

I also have a lot of other good games to play right now, but it's nice to know the enthusiasm is still there. Looking forward to HBS'tech.

It's not that bad. I got back in. The skill trees are honestly, pretty easy to get once you look at them.

• Options
    edited June 2017

That makes sense. Could we benefit by switching to a Mercenary Unit instead of Loyalist? Or does that not really change anything?

There was a difference between Merc Unit and Loyalist, but I can't recall them at this point. We locked with Loyalists because the Oosiks were never going to leave the FRR and it made the paper pushing much easier.

Edit: I did want to point out that I used to do a lot of FW long ago when the FRR was really humming. It was great running with the different groups there and drop commanders. I wasn't the best, but I did follow the leads and began to put out some really good damage numbers (and kills). Almost broke the 2k damage mark once, but was thwarted by a fellow FRR member who was also trying to break it (we were both focus firing on the last remaining clanner on the map, and he got the kill by accident). Those were fun, but yeah lots of dedication and time to run. I used to only have one deck, then after the unseen came out I had two decks to drop with. But my bread and butter was always three Thunderbolts and depending on the weight limit either a light or medium. I haven't done a FW for a while now since I don't have the time to dedicate to the game as I once did. Plus the FRR groups did leave and did the "faction tour" which also sort of killed it (along with some politics).

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Also wanted to post @WolveSight that I forgot to send you a message last night. I was only had time for a few matches to get my medium assist event completed. Otherwise I would have loved to have run with you guys.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Also wanted to post @WolveSight that I forgot to send you a message last night. I was only had time for a few matches to get my medium assist event completed. Otherwise I would have loved to have run with you guys.

We've been playing a lot in the evenings. There are two people that need invites to the unit, but it costs so much money off the coffers now.

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular

yeah, no worries Betsuni. I sent invites to both you and Kaeb in the chance that you guys were playing. We had our normal 4-man lance running around and either causing mischief or getting rolled. There really is no in-between for us.

253J736.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    What times do you guys normally run?
    (few days before my beast of a computer arrives..)

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    @Nips, Locust Swarm?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    What times do you guys normally run?
    (few days before my beast of a computer arrives..)

lately, anytime from 6pm on.

253J736.png
  • Options
    Also wanted to post WolveSight that I forgot to send you a message last night. I was only had time for a few matches to get my medium assist event completed. Otherwise I would have loved to have run with you guys.

We've been playing a lot in the evenings. There are two people that need invites to the unit, but it costs so much money off the coffers now.

Is the coffer empty so they can't get an invite?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Also wanted to post WolveSight that I forgot to send you a message last night. I was only had time for a few matches to get my medium assist event completed. Otherwise I would have loved to have run with you guys.

I say we dont invite anyone else until the rolls are culled of anyone who hasnt played in 6 months.

Invite costs are high because 98% of the people in the unit havent logged in in like 2 years.

• Options

No, we have 20 some Million C-bills in the coffer. But recruitment is like 8.6mil per person so I wouldn't want to drain the coffers inviting people without running it by other people in the Unit.

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    I think it's pretty safe to clean out the roster. We can always invite people back once it doesn't cost 10mil CBills a pop.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I think it's pretty safe to clean out the roster. We can always invite people back once it doesn't cost 10mil CBills a pop.

We are in agreement then. Honestly just purge anyone without the frr insignia. It's been 2-3 years since we went loyal.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options

No, we have 20 some Million C-bills in the coffer. But recruitment is like 8.6mil per person so I wouldn't want to drain the coffers inviting people without running it by other people in the Unit.

Invite them, we can always have a fundraising drive if the coffers get low, as I'm sure most of the salt encrusted veterans have stockpiles of CBills waiting for any kind of use.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just a reminder before we get too crazy with purging the rolls (which, I'm not the biggest fan of, but will certainly acquiesce to majority opinion):

# Of Members in Unit - Invite Cost per new Member
    1 - 50k
    10 - 500k
    25 - 1.25M
    50 - 2.5M
    75 - 3.75M
    100 - 5M
    200 - 10M

I'll take a look at the roster tonight, mostly for my own edification. We already know @TOGSolid doesn't want to be removed, despite (probably) not having a recent login date.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    How the hell do coffers even work? Can I log on and just dump all my spare CBills into them for you guys?

• Options
    Unrelated, curses @Docshifty for getting me theorycrafting with the new IS tech.

I present to you, the Stealth Reaper (with some caveats):
    http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=17&l=8c1165902d2484907f03f7c8cd513846eeaca6ea

It will run a LFE 350, and Stealth Armor. That is why that build currently has 12 free slots (for the armor) and the extra ton (for the Engine heatsink) missing.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    And breaking out another one of the old standbies for a few matches:

https://youtu.be/SaN9gbT94ss

omBp33n.jpg

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »
    Just a reminder before we get too crazy with purging the rolls (which, I'm not the biggest fan of, but will certainly acquiesce to majority opinion):

# Of Members in Unit - Invite Cost per new Member
    1 - 50k
    10 - 500k
    25 - 1.25M
    50 - 2.5M
    75 - 3.75M
    100 - 5M
    200 - 10M

I'll take a look at the roster tonight, mostly for my own edification. We already know @TOGSolid doesn't want to be removed, despite (probably) not having a recent login date.

I have a feeling we should be able to cull it down to between 25-30 people who have logged in in the last 9 months, maybe 50-75. It sounds like we are currently between 100-200 (closer to 200), so this should cut down on fees significantly, so that active people arent hesitant to invite friends because we have too many people that dont play anymore.

We could additionally do a GoogleDoc spreadsheet / list of the people we cull, and call it the "List of the Fallen" or something, so that we have the records, without having to pay PGI's stupid fee kludge that utterly failed to do what they set out to do.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    We could additionally do a GoogleDoc spreadsheet / list of the people we cull, and call it the "List of the Fallen" or something, so that we have the records, without having to pay PGI's stupid fee kludge that utterly failed to do what they set out to do.

I want to do this, and will do this. I don't want to leave anyone behind, even if we have to cull them.

I just got in to do a quick look, and of course the membership dialog continues to be a half-broken mess. I can only assume that most of the members that are marked as Online are not online, unless they are (Hi @Docshifty !), and haven't logged in more recently enough to trigger the status to change to "Last logged in: XXX-XX".

Nips on
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »

I want to do this, and will do this. I don't want to leave anyone behind, even if we have to cull them.

I just got in to do a quick look, and of course the membership dialog continues to be a half-broken mess. I can only assume that most of the members that are marked as Online are not online, unless they are (Hi @Docshifty !), and haven't logged in more recently enough to trigger the status to change to "Last logged in: XXX-XX".

They aint getting left behind

if they wake up from their torpor and want to play again..heres the thread, they can make a post in it and be back in within hours.

• Options
    So I have some unsellable mechs in my Inventory. An Atlas AS7 and a Centurion CN9-AH

as7-s.png
    cn9-ah.png

I have them stripped down to nothing (even sold the engines I think) but The AS7 is supposed to be a pretty good Atlas, and the CN9-AH can handle a AC/20 so that is something at least.

Those are the only IS mechs I own, but I think I can take the Centurion into scouting games?

• Options
    So I have some unsellable mechs in my Inventory. An Atlas AS7 and a Centurion CN9-AH

as7-s.png
    cn9-ah.png

I have them stripped down to nothing (even sold the engines I think) but The AS7 is supposed to be a pretty good Atlas, and the CN9-AH can handle a AC/20 so that is something at least.

Those are the only IS mechs I own, but I think I can take the Centurion into scouting games?

AH is a fairly good brawler with an AC20 and 3xSRM4.

• Options
    Ugh. Skill tree system is breaking my brain.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Ugh. Skill tree system is breaking my brain.

I used this to get myself back up to speed: http://metamechs.com/mwo-guides/skill-trees/

I picked bare bones from each relevant category, then went heavier into firepower and the other relevant node for the mech chassis.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
This discussion has been closed.