As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Programming] Kafkaesque rabbits in the queue at the pub

19495969798100»

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Comments always remind about one terrible manager I had who insisted that we couldn't have comments in the code because it would slow down the code.

He also insisted that extra whitespace did the same thing.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Comments always remind about one terrible manager I had who insisted that we couldn't have comments in the code because it would slow down the code.

He also insisted that extra whitespace did the same thing.

brainfuck only uses 8 characters (faster to read and compile if you know most of the ascii character range doesn't exist!!!) and no need to whitespace, making it the fastest programming language

• Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    Clearly, then, this must be the slowest programming language.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    So, can't seem to find how I'm supposed to restart a Docker stack?

"docker-compose restart" seems to be the kind of thing you used to do but with "docker stack deploy" and related I only have ways to deploy/update from the stack yaml or tear it down. If I don't update the yaml and just want to restart containers, doesn't seem to be a way to address the stack to do such?

Am I missing something?

When we do a "docker ps" and "docker restart <id>" on the app container within the stack, that seems to break our stack's port mapping.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    So my latest toy dev project at home is on a Raspberry Pi 3. According to https://github.com/RealVNC/raspi-preview and https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/minecraft-pi-and-more-over-vnc/ I should be able to view omxplayer videos over VNC, but it sure isn't working.

Any of you guys ever mess with this and have an idea of what I may be missing? I can see the video on the real display, just not over VNC. The VNC client is RealVNC on OSX... I will try the Windows one to see if there's any difference.

On a related note, do you guys have any thoughts as to why I would be able to use python's subprocess.Popen() to run two shell scripts which then run separate omxplayer rtsp streams, yet if I just run omxplayer directly the second one dies immediately? Perhaps a shared memory clusterfuck or a memory/cpu load issue somehow?

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The good: IT is getting us new laptops. They're nice! They're light! They're reasonable performance with nice displays!

The bad: a whopping 2 USB ports, 4 hour battery life

The ugly: by simply getting a different model (that granted weighs 2 pounds more) we could get back the ~8 hour battery life and 3+ USB ports we have with the old heavy Lenovos. The cost would be comparable.

I wish they'd have consulted engineering before handing these new ones out. They're rad laptops (I'm about 7/10's of the way to buying one for personal use), but I have work I need to do, and it requires using ports directly due to hardware requirements. I can't use a hub! This means either dragging my dock everywhere or doing without!

Sigh...

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    The real best part of working with Apple devices, is they ARE giving you a MBP.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    dporowski wrote: »

We're getting the Dells that are the Windows equivalent of the high-end 15" Macbook Pro (except for the battery life). Frankly, the MBPs wouldn't work as well for us due to lack of vendor support. And the extra lightning connectors are great, but that still means carrying around a dock. I need my USB.

Bare minimum: 1 direct USB connection for JTAG, two more for UART 1 and mouse. Nice to have: UART 2 + a second direct connection to external test instruments. 3 ports gives me two direct connections + a tiny USB hub I can shove in my pocket when I need to hit the lab or go traveling.

Portability is a secondary concern. I've got work to do. And I'd like to limit the number of extra doo-dads I need since I'll be carrying a pile of the damned things around already.

Orca on
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »

We're getting the Dells that are the Windows equivalent of the high-end 15" Macbook Pro (except for the battery life). Frankly, the MBPs wouldn't work as well for us due to lack of vendor support. And the extra lightning connectors are great, but that still means carrying around a dock. I need my USB.

Bare minimum: 1 direct USB connection for JTAG, two more for UART 1 and mouse. Nice to have: UART 2 + a second direct connection to external test instruments. 3 ports gives me two direct connections + a tiny USB hub I can shove in my pocket when I need to hit the lab or go traveling.

Portability is a secondary concern. I've got work to do. And I'd like to limit the number of extra doo-dads I need since I'll be carrying a pile of the damned things around already.

Oddly enough, I've found HPs good for UARTs and USB ports.

Anyway, new thread here.

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
This discussion has been closed.