As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Newbie wanting to going to PAX 2017

JCbellJCbell Registered User new member
Hello all :)
Just wondering of anyone can give me a heads up of what really happens at PAX and if it is worth $1000 all up for me to go for three days, any pointers would help, thanks :?

• Options
    OzBennyOzBenny Registered User new member
    Well my first PAX was 2016. I wasn't sure what to expect either.
    I found that it was very different from comic cons and the like because there was actually so much to do.
    The panels I went to were very engaging and interesting
    I played indi games and chatted to their developers
    I played VR games
    I played tabletop games with my friends and other random ppl I met there
    I played pinball and console games
    I had a great time and will be back again this year :)

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Basically there is too much at PAX for you to do everything you want to do.

So, you have the showroom floor, which is much like you would expect.
    There's the main exhibitors and their stall quality is largely based on what they're announcing.
    Then merchandise and so forth.

But then there's the indie stalls, and they're great for both seeing different things and also talking to the indie developers themselves and why they built the games they did.

You've got the panels as well.
    These tend to be in larger rooms than there are crowds for now that we've got free reign of the convention center, so it's very much worthwhile attending whatever looks interesting and just rocking up to the panel five minutes before it starts.
    The more popular panels (PA, the opening panel, Good Game, RoosterTeeth [I think]) will get packed though, so if you're planning to go to those then turn up early to get in line.

Then there's the freeplay hall, where you can play pretty much anything.
    There's the board-game library, freeplay PCs, freeplay consoles (Xbox and Playstation mainly though), freeplay older gaming equipment (old consoles/old pcs), and bean bags to sit on and play handheld games (with charging stations I think).
    And if you don't have a posse of friends to play with, people tend to be pretty accommodating at letting random people join if they have an empty board-game slot.

Most of these have tournaments scheduled throughout PAX as well.
    I'd rather recommend only playing PC when participating in a tournament, as I would not want to waste PAX time doing something that could be done outside PAX.
    But I guess there are like PAX Minecraft servers and the like which would still be collaborative enough that it should be different playing with people who are right next to you.

And then there's a few I guess pop-up amusements for want of a better word.
    Things like Joust and Just Dance and The Jack Party-Box, where anyone can jump in and play whilst they're waiting for a panel queue line or something.
    I maybe spent quite a few hours playing the Party-Box on my phone in front of that wandering audience of hundreds.
    It was pretty great.

Talking about playing in front of crowds, there is also the Omeganaut competition.
    If you buy a three-day pass, and opt in, you can be randomly selected to be one of 24 Omeganauts, and battle throughout PAX with the other Omeganauts in a variety of knockout rounds.
    Eventually, PAX will close after the two last Omeganauts compete in some unannounced game, to finally determine a victor.
    These are pretty fun panels to watch, and I presume to play in.

There's also concerts of gaming culture music during the night, but I've never been to that.

Anyway, PAX is pretty great.
    I'd suggest that the best bits are when you interact with the other attendees.
    But regardless, you shouldn't want for stuff to do.

• Options
    captain miloguycaptain miloguy Registered User new member
    Hi, I'm thinking of going as well, flying from sydney , do I need to buy a ticket now for the weekend ?
    or can I get them on the day ie the 3 day pass ??

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I would not expect there to be any at-the-door sales, especially for 3 day badges.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    PDP11PDP11 Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Ask around your friends or gaming groups in your area and have a look at last years printed program booklet. It will provide an an overview of the types of sessions run and the sheer size of PAX Aus. Also look at PAX Aus Youtube videos, Photo Gallerys, Google Foo, etc.

PDP11 on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    You will almost certainly not be able to buy tickets on the day, the 3-day tickets are already close to sold out, the Saturday tickets typically sell out in the weeks leading up to the event, leaving MAYBE some Friday and Sunday tickets. But also, if you buy your ticket before September 2nd (i.e, this Saturday) it'll be mailed to you, which I strongly recommend as it will save a lot of queuing. You have to queue to get your wristbands and get inside anyway, better to avoid also having to queue to get your badge in order to join the other queue! I've done it once, would not recommend.

From personal experience, one day isn't enough, you'll have to pick-and-choose what you really want to do and see and you'll still miss things. Two days is probably enough to see most of whatever interests you, if you don't mind rushing around like crazy. Three days is enough to see everything and take it at a nice relaxed pace, so that's what I personally recommend.

The schedule isn't out yet, but once it is you can start planning your weekend. I'd recommend getting the guidebook app for your phone; it'll have the complete schedule, and more importantly it'll let you set notifications to go off to remind you when things you want to see are about to start. For things you really want to see, I'd recommend getting in line a 1/2 hour early. You won't necessarily need to, but some panels will hit capacity, and you might not get into the popular ones if you aren't lined up early. Then what I generally do is wander around the show floor looking at the shiny things in-between panels, and joining a queue for something cool if I have time, but I'd add that if something cool catches your eye on the show floor and there's a queue, I'd try to get in on Friday or failing that Sunday; Saturday is by far the busiest day with the biggest queues.

With no schedule out yet I can't tell you what's likely to be good, and that's going to be down to personal preference anyway, but I strongly recommend going to at least one of the Penny Arcade Q&A's with Jerry and Mike, they know how to put on a good show and there's one on all three days.

• Options
    thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    I'm so amped for this (this is my 3rd PAX). I haven't been in ages with work being a pain in the butt to get time off but now is my chance to get out a chillax for 5 days.

Hopefully the passes get sent out soon, bought it as soon as word got out.

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013