As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Question concerning router, Ethernet switches and the best way of connecting them

ThirithThirith Registered User regular
I'm getting to the point where the four Ethernet ports my router provides just aren't enough. I've now ordered an Ethernet switch that's guaranteed to work with my STB out of the box, but I'm not sure what the best way is to connect everything.

Basically, I will have five Ethernet cables I'll need to connect in the living room, leading to the following:
1) The set-top box
2) Another Ethernet switch hooked up to a media PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Blu-ray player, TV and AV receiver.
3) A WD MyBookLive
4 and 5) Ethernet connections to the bedroom and office

Now, my question is about the recommended way of hooking up these five things. Do I connect the Ethernet switch mentioned at the beginning to the router and everything else to the switch (which means I'll have two cascaded switches)? Or do I try to use all of the router's ports and only then start connecting things to the switch?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
"Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    The short answer is that it doesn't really matter very much.

If it was me, I would connect the second switch into a different router port (instead of daisy-chaining the switches) and maybe run the bedroom/office connections off of it. The real deciding factor is probably just putting the switch somewhere you need the extra physical connections.

If you want to get crazy, it would make sense to group devices that frequently need to transfer data to each other onto the same switch (so the traffic just goes through the switch instead of going through multiple devices), but in reality you won't see that much of a difference just doing stuff day-to-day.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks. I'll think about what connections are likely to have data transferred between themselves.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea, in reality it doesn't matter.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar