As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cooker? I barely know her! [Cooking Thread]

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    The specific listing itself says it is a PTFE coated fabric. PTFE is Teflon. It doesn't have any PFOA in it, which was discontinued in the manufacture of Teflon a few years back, but it's still Teflon nonetheless.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Any recommendation for microwave safe lunch containers?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    like pyrex you mean?

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Any recommendation for microwave safe lunch containers?

Most plasticware is microwave safe these days. It'll be on the label or embossed on it somewhere. I use the cheap disposable store brand containers. They regularly go on sale for .25c each so I stock up.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Didn't know smoke would cure meat. Interesting! Perhaps I finally have an excuse to get a smoker.

Pop into the Charcuterie thread in Help and Advice. Good tips on jerky etc and smoking, lots of smoking.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    We use these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011S8QDQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They come in a range of sizes, stackable, all use the same lid, and are super cheap.

They're reasonably durable, but you don't feel bad throwing one away if it dies.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    those cheap glad ones you can get at the grocery store are microwave safe these days, super cheap, and actually last a good while

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    those cheap glad ones you can get at the grocery store are microwave safe these days, super cheap, and actually last a good while

I buy the store brand. For as cheap as they are, they seem to stay fresh as long as the more expensive ones an aisle over.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

I buy the store brand. For as cheap as they are, they seem to stay fresh as long as the more expensive ones an aisle over.

yeah i don't notice any difference in quality between the store and name brand ones

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

yeah i don't notice any difference in quality between the store and name brand ones

Like even odds a lot of them come out of the exact same molds over in China.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Just make sure you always buy the same kind. There's nothing worse than trying to find the right lid in the pile of mismatched lids!

Ok. There are probably worse things. But I can't think of any right now.

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    Just make sure you always buy the same kind. There's nothing worse than trying to find the right lid in the pile of mismatched lids!

Ok. There are probably worse things. But I can't think of any right now.

The ones I buy have little symbols embossed to help you figure out what lid goes to what container. One type uses hearts, another stars and another uses X's.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    When you get the heart ones I hope you yell, "Off with their lids!".

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Not sure if cooking shows are really what the thread is about, but if you were a fan of Good Eats, well, watch this.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Never had lamb before but I'd like to try. Saw lamb leg steaks at the local co-op that I think would make a good entry point to the world of lamb. Anybody got a good preparation or can point me to one? My instinct is to treat it like a slab of beef but I understand lamb tastes much different than beef, so my usual steak preparation probably isn't optimal.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Never had lamb before but I'd like to try. Saw lamb leg steaks at the local co-op that I think would make a good entry point to the world of lamb. Anybody got a good preparation or can point me to one? My instinct is to treat it like a slab of beef but I understand lamb tastes much different than beef, so my usual steak preparation probably isn't optimal.

I made some way back in the day. Salt and pepper and rosemary rub. Make a glaze of equal parts balsamic vinegar and honey and reduce it. I think I just seared the lamb in the pan?

It was simple but very good

• Options
    Garlic/oregano/rosemary is my usual lamb flavors.

Mint jelly after cooking is kind of trashy, but also delicious.

It cooks a lot like beef, but as you say, a different flavor.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Would sage or thyme work out in place of the rosemary?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Be aware that lamb leg has a lot of connective tissue in it much like the legs of other animals. There aren't any real steak cuts on a lamb in the way there are a cow. When a store makes a steak cut from a lamb leg you get something that will cook faster than a more traditionally prepared lamb leg, but won't be quite steak like in texture. Expect something more like a flat iron steak more than a strip or ribeye here.

That said, you can treat it like beef in a lot of ways. It's a red meat, just with a lot more flavor. Herbs and spices you'd use with beef tend to go pretty well with lamb too and lamb can handle some more assertive flavors that would overwhelm even beef.

A more straightforward introduction to lamb would be a rib chop or loin chop. Those are the more tender cuts on a lamb and can be treated like a steak. Loin chops would be my personal recommendation here as rib chops tend to be considerably pricier as they also get sold as rack of lamb when they aren't split into individual chops (though sometimes you can get pretty good prices on rack of lamb since so few people attempt to cook it themselves. It's actually pretty simple to do so and is one of my go to entrees if I want to make something tasty and fancy looking while still largely phoning it in). The triangular loin chops usually get sold in packages of 4-6 around here and 2-3 is a decent sized portion for a meal. A shoulder chop has more connective tissue and benefits from longer cooking methods.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Would sage or thyme work out in place of the rosemary?

Thyme works.

You're kind of looking at Greek flavors.

• Options
    Thanks for the tips! Will have to see if I can locate some loin chops to start with.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

You can't cook it as rare as beef. It just doesn't work. Pink is fine, red aint.

NB: Lamb is BFFs with cumin. Also (but not simultaneously) anchovies.

V1m on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    This is probably the best thing I made all year, with the possible exception of the special chicken fried rice

V1m's fish curry

This makes enough for 2 hungry fat bastards (like me!)

For the fish:

250-300g piece of white fish (I used cod loin), cut into largish pieces (say about 10) and rolled in a bit of garam masala and flour
    100g of uncooked king prawns (150g if they're shell-on which tbh is better if you can get them)

For the curry base:
    250-300g of new potatoes, diced fairly small
    100g green beans, cut into 2-3
    1 yellow onion, chopped not too fine
    2 nice fresh tomatoes, diced
    6-8 cloves garlic smashed & chopped, then 3-4 for later
    a good big chunk of fresh ginger, like bigger then your thumb after it has been peeled (the ginger should be peeled, not your thumb), chopped up
    1/2 tin of coconut milk
    3-4 anchovies
    1/2 tsp fennel seeds
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1/2 peppercorns
    1-2 bay leaves
    1 tbsp mild madras masala
    fresh chillies to taste
    1 fresh lime
    1 tbsp mango chutney
    a splash of sunflower oil
    fresh coriander, chopped up.

In a good big skillet, bring the oil up over a medium heat. Crackle the fennel/cumin/peppercorns/bay for half a minute, then add the garlic and ginger. Add the onions and the potatoes and let the whole lot cook in the pan for 3-4 minutes until the onions turn a little golden. Stir frequently. Add the curry powder and continue stirring and frying until the spices don't small "raw". Add the anchovies. and break them up a bit. Add the tomatoes. After about a minute or so, add the mango chutney and mix it well round, you want it to caramelise a bit. Finally add your chillies and chase them up with the coconut milk. Once the coconut milk has fully melted, squeeze the juice from 1/2 lime into sauce, the put a lid over the pan and let it all simmer for about 15-18 minutes. The potatoes should be at the "yeah I guess these are technically cooked, but definitely not as tender as I want them to be" stage. Add the beans and the prawns and let the base simmer with the lid off for maybe 5 mins.

When the beans and potatoes are tender as you like them, Add fresh coriander and squeeze the other 1/2 of the lime over, stir to combine and leave to rest.

In a frying pan, heat a little oil over a medium+ heat. Carefully fry the fish, taking care not to let the spice coating burn. It should take no more than 30-40 seconds per side.

Spoon the curry base onto a couple of warmed plates, and place half the fish over each.

I ate this with some garlic & coriander naan.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    i braised rack of lamb today for funsies. i love braised lamb. a bit of red wine, garlic, carrots, salt and pepper. threw in a handful dried cherries.

Couscous wasn't really the right choice for thing to serve it with, but they were amazing little meat lollipops none the less.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I got an insta pot on sale and tried it out for the first time

it was rad

Chicken, Lentil, and Bacon Stew

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    4 ounces slab bacon or pancetta, cut into 1/2-inch lardons
    2 medium onions, diced
    4 medium carrots, roughly chopped
    4 red potatoes, kinda chopped
    1 poblano pepper, diced
    8 ounces dried lentils
    12 parsley stems, tied together with kitchen twine, and 6 sprigs leaves, chopped
    2 bay leaves
    2 1/2 pounds chicken (I used breasts, bone-in chicken would be even better probs)
    1 quart chicken stock
    2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
    garlic
    lemon juice
    salt and pepper

Directions
    1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker on sautee setting until shimmering. Add bacon and cook until starting to crisp around edges, about 1 minute. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 3-5 minutes longer. Add carrots, lentils, parsley stems, bay leaves, chicken, potatoes, peppers, garlic, and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.

2. Seal pressure cooker and bring to high pressure. Cook for 20 minutes. Quick release the pressure and wait until things calm down. Remove the chicken and shred. Discard parsley stems and bay leaves. Return lentils to sautee heat and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes.

3. Stir chicken and vinegar into beans. Season to taste with salt and pepper, stir in chopped parsley, hit it with some lemon juice, and serve.

adapted from: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/quick-and-easy-pressure-cooker-chicken-lentil-bacon-stew-recipe.html

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Chocolate mousse is one of my favorite desserts and I made it today and turned out great. I used ghiradhelli bittersweet chocolate (they rated it the best brand of supermarket baking chocolate) and bourbon instead of brandy and skipped the coffee as the husband is sensitive to caffeine

I served it with bourbon whipped cream

I used a handheld mixer and didn't have a double boiler setup for melting so I just put one pan over another pan and that worked great

It's from americas test kitchen which is a pay site so I copied it here:

Dark Chocolate Mousse
    From Dark Chocolate Desserts
    WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS

For a dark chocolate mousse recipe that would be balanced and light, we eliminated the butter and reduced the number of egg whites and yolks. We whipped the cream to soft peaks before adding it to the chocolate to make up for some of the lost volume caused by these reductions. To maximize the chocolate flavor in our mousse recipe, we used a combination of 8 ounces of bittersweet chocolate and 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, and added water to rescue our mousse from the weight of the chocolate and to restore its airy texture.

Read Less

WATCH TV CLIP
    INGREDIENTS
    Print Shopping List
    8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
    2 tablespoons cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-processed)
    1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
    5 tablespoons water
    1 tablespoon brandy
    2 large eggs, separated
    1 tablespoon sugar
    ⅛ teaspoon table salt
    1 cup heavy cream, plus 2 additional tablespoons (chilled)
    INSTRUCTIONS
    MAKES 3 1/2 CUPS (6 TO 8 SERVINGS)
    When developing this recipe, we used our winning supermarket brand of dark chocolate, Ghirardelli bittersweet, which contains about 60 percent cacao. If you choose to make the mousse a day in advance, leave it out at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with very lightly sweetened whipped cream and chocolate shavings. A hand-held mixer can do the job of a standing mixer in this recipe, though mixing times may vary slightly.

1. Melt chocolate, cocoa powder, espresso powder, water, and brandy in medium heatproof bowl set over saucepan filled with 1 inch of barely simmering water, stirring frequently until smooth. Remove from heat.

2. Whisk egg yolks, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, and salt in medium bowl until mixture lightens in color and thickens slightly, about 30 seconds. Pour melted chocolate into egg mixture and whisk until combined. Let cool until just warmer than room temperature, 3 to 5 minutes.

3. In clean bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat egg whites at medium-low speed until frothy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, increase mixer speed to medium-high, and beat until soft peaks form when whisk is lifted, about 1 minute. Detach whisk and bowl from mixer and whisk last few strokes by hand, making sure to scrape any unbeaten whites from bottom of bowl. Using whisk, stir about one-quarter of beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture to lighten it; gently fold in remaining egg whites with rubber spatula until a few white streaks remain.

4. In now-empty bowl, whip heavy cream at medium speed until it begins to thicken, about 30 seconds. Increase speed to high and whip until soft peaks form when whisk is lifted, about 15 seconds more. Using rubber spatula, fold whipped cream into mousse until no white streaks remain. Spoon into 6 to 8 individual serving dishes or goblets. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set and firm, at least 2 hours. (The mousse may be covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.)

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I made a fairly basic but tasty seafood chowder earlier this week:

3 Strips of Bacon, cut up
    Onion, chopped
    Celery, chopped
    Carrots, chopped
    2-3 Russet Potatoes, cubed
    2-3 Red Bliss Potatoes, cubed
    Heavy Cream
    Whole Milk
    Veg Broth
    Approx. 1lb Medium Shrimp
    1-2 doz. Littleneck Clams
    1 lb Scallops
    Fresh Thyme
    Fresh Parsley

Heat the bacon in a pot until crispy. Use the grease from the bacon to heat/soften the onion, celery, and carrots. Once softened, add Veg Broth and cut the heat to Med-Low. Add cream and whole milk (approx 3 cups total; you can substitute Half-and-Half since it's half cream and half milk). Once back to a simmer/low boil, add the potatoes, parsley, and thyme. Cook the whole mixture on low heat until the potatoes get soft. This can either be stored for later, or eaten.

About 10 minutes before serving, add the seafood and cut the heat. If you aren't using clams, you can cut this time back even further. You want to use the heat of the soup to cook the fish to so that it won't get rubbery.

The only change I would make again, would be to keep better control of the bacon. I let it get a bit too crispy/overcooked and the broth ended up a bit brown. I would either drain part of the grease, or cut back on the bacon cooking time (or both).

We're on vacation so I bought local seafood. The shrimp was merely beheaded, so I had to devein every piece. That took much longer than anticipated.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I took a break from making fresh pasta after making bowtie pasta from scratch. I went home this weekend to watch Dunkirk with my father and made them dinner: fresh shrimp and ricotta ravioli in a shellfish cream sauce.

The whole recipe is (http://crumblycookie.net/2012/05/12/shrimp-ricotta-ravioli), but I mainly used it just for the ingredients.
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 carrot, peeled and chopped
    1 shallot, diced
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 garlic clove, minced
    ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
    ¼ cup white wine
    1 cup clam juice
    8 ounces shrimp, shells on
    8 ounces ricot
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons grated parmesan
    2 tablespoons minced parsley
    ½ cup heavy cream

Pick out your favorite beverage of choice (maybe that white wine you're going to cook with), pour into a glass and be prepared to get your hands and fingers dirty. My rule of thumb is always, if you aren't getting drunk while cooking, you're doing it wrong.

1. Fresh pasta recipe: 1 serving of pasta = 1 cup flour + 1 whole egg + oil and salt. To increase servings, for every additional add 1 cup flour + 1 whole egg. I can't give you an exact measurement on oil and salt, I always eyeball it. Basically, as you're making the dough, if it appears to dry either add a bit of water/another egg/more oil. Once you have it kneeded out you can always add flour but you can't add moisture, so it's important to get the moisture of the dough correct early on. It should be slightly sticky. Kneed for about 5 minutes or until the dough is plyable, roll with a syran wrap sheet and set aside for 30 minutes.

2. Med saucepan, med heat - melt butter. Add carrots and shallots and cook until shallots start to brown. Add tomato paste, garlic, red pepper, cook and stir until fragrant (approx a minute). Med-high heat add white wine, clam juice, and shrimp with shells. Bring to a boil then reduce and maintain simmer. Remove shrimp, peel and return shells to broth. Simmer while you wait the remaining 30 minutes for your shrimp to settle. Strain broth, discard solids.

3. Cooked shrimp in food processor and pulse until minced. Combine with egg, ricotta, parmesan and parsley.

4. Halve the fresh dough, and either roll it out with a rolling machine or a rolling pin. With machine: you feed through at the highest setting 3 times, each time folding the dough on itself and lightly flouring the dough. After the 3rd time, you then start decreasing the size, feeding the dough through twice until you get to the last two settings. On last two settings, you only feed dough through once. You now have a long sheet, at about every 5-6 inches cut, flour the top, measure out again 5-6 inches, cut, place on top of the sheet, flour top, etc... Egg wash is 1 egg + 1 tbsp of water. Lay a sheet of pasta down, with brush, brush it with the egg wash and with either a pastry bag or two spoons, start dropping balls of the shrimp + ricotta onto the pasta sheet, spacing it out enough so that they don't touch. You fold from the bottom over the filling, and then with your fingers push down at the spaces so that it seals. You then do this again, folding from bottom over the top, push down at the gaps forming a seal. With either a pastry cutter or a knife, cut the ravioli at those gaps and lightly flour, setting aside.

5. Combine the heavy cream and strained seafood broth and bring to a boil over med-high heat, reduce and simmer until thick.

6. Heavily salted water (should taste like the sea), bring to a boil. Add ravioli, cook for approx 30 seconds. Put onto plate/bowl/whatever you want to eat it off of, and top with the shellfish sauce, a little parmesan, and some parsley.

qStT7s7.jpg?1
    cd45Owv.jpg?1

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Does anyone make their own burgers or sausages?

I recently got a meat grinder for making pet food, but also for making me food. It works great for pet food, but now I'm looking for some direction on the me food part.

Any recommended mixtures for burgers or sausages? Or any sourced you can recommend me reading?

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

I recently got a meat grinder for making pet food, but also for making me food. It works great for pet food, but now I'm looking for some direction on the me food part.

Any recommended mixtures for burgers or sausages? Or any sourced you can recommend me reading?

I make my own burger patties a fair bit, though sadly not with beef ground by myself!

For a true classic burger patty, the only thing you need is salt, pepper and minced beef! Mix them up good and proper and then form the beef into patties. I like to keep halving the mixture evenly until I have the right weight of chunks (quarter pound is always good), thus making sure that the burgers all weigh about the same. I roll each chunk up into a ball and then press it down hard onto a flat surface like a chopping board and then form it up a bit until it's a nice shape. Put them onto a tray, cover them and fridge them for about half an hour. The salt now distributed in the meat will denature the proteins causing them to form longer chains, forming a kind of internal glue that keeps the patty's shape! Now cook 'em at your leisure. I'm a big fan of a screaming hot cast iron pan, few minutes each side until a nice brown crust is formed.

Sweet jesus now I want a burger.

You can add a decent amount of other ingredients to the above burger mix without messing with the cohesion too much. I really like slow cooking some onions and garlic in red wine until it reduces down and throwing them into the mix. Sooooo rich.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    If you grind your own you can do all sorts of fun things with mixing different cuts of meat. I usually try aim for a relatively high fat content for burgers (20-25%). In the past I've had success mixing brisket and chuck, as well as sirloin and (pork) bacon.

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    home ground burgers: , 8 parts chuck, 4 parts chuck, 2 parts brisket, 1 part short rib, cut into big cubes, keep cold. grind on coarse, mix lightly with salt and pepper, grill, enjoy.

Maguano on
    steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Very, very limited experience making sausages having only done so with guidance from a chef and restauranteur but it's not particularly difficult with the equipment to extrude meat into the casing. Pork fat is a must though. And that's uncooked pork fat specifically so not bacon fat you've saved up. I recall the chef recommending 30% fat content which you can get from cuts like pork butt but if using leaner meat or non-pork meat you'll need to add pure pork fat to bring up the fat content.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Maguano wrote: »
    home ground burgers: , 8 parts chuck, 4 parts chuck, 2 parts brisket, 1 part short rib, cut into big cubes, keep cold. grind on coarse, mix lightly with salt and pepper, grill, enjoy.

12 parts chuck?

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    8 chuck, 4 shoulder (clod) ....

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    So I made some amazing sauce today. I got inspired by the Binging with Babish Szechuan sauce, though what I made isn't exactly like that.

Here it goes

~.9 oz dried Puya peppers (seeded)
    ~.1 oz dried Cascabel peppers (seeded)
    peppers should be weighed seedless!!!

fresh ginger, finely grated or crushed
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
    1/4 cup Chardonnay wine
    1 tablespoon rice vinegar

sauce adjustments
    kosher/sea salt (to taste! make sure it isn't salty enough first)
    1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
    0-1 tablespoons Sriracha sauce

Put the seeded peppers in a cast iron or oven safe pan, and place in the oven and heat it to 350 F. Remove when the peppers smell very fragrant and have darkened in color slightly. Put the toasted peppers in a metal bowl and pour 1 quart of boiling water over them. Allow them to steep for at least 10 minutes; they should be relatively soft. Remove the peppers from the water after the soak and reserve the steeping water for later use. Blend the peppers and a bit of steeping water until smooth and move the blended paste with the rest of the ingredients to a nonstick pan. Cook until it begins to bubble, using the reserved steeping water to keep the consistency near a loose BBQ sauce (it will thicken further when it cools).
    After it has been tasted for seasoning and cooled slightly, blend the sauce until completely smooth. The final consistency should be similar to ketchup, maybe a hair looser. Place in a squeeze bottle, and enjoy with chicken fingers and the like. My total yield was about 11-12 ounces of sauce.

It has a subtle, raisin like sweetness to it while not being cloying. Along with that is some heat and a good deal of umami flavor as well. It works incredibly well with chicken fingers.

When I was steeping the peppers it smelled like I was steeping grain for home brewing. The smell was glorious

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Ground brisket is probably the best burger I've ever had.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I forgot to add earlier. Last week, I made a simple sauce that everyone who ate it really enjoyed. We had brought some sweet Italian sausage with us on our trip for vacation. It was the first night at the rental and we didn't feel like going out, so I took two links, decased them, and browned them up; then I tossed in the jar of sauce we had (it was I think Onion, Basil, Garlic "flavor," so no meat already in it). The sausage added some heartiness and a depth of flavor that was missing.

So in short, if you're looking to give a little extra to a jar of sauce, rummage through your fridge/freezer and see if you have any seasoned meat to add.

Earlier this week, I made the ground turkey meatballs again (ground turkey + blue cheese crumbles + carmelized onion; sear on stove top and finish in 400F oven until they are 165F internal temp; pop on top of a salad). Overall consensus that I added enough blue cheese this time that you could actually taste it.

I'm still debating whether I should add a binder for that recipe. The cheese is supposed to help hold things together, but I still had issues with parts of the meatballs crumbling and falling off when I was pan searing.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    that's telling you to ADD MOAR CHEEZ

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    ... this is the cooking thread

No-Quarter on
This discussion has been closed.