As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for comparison pics/videos 1080p and 2160p (4K)

ThirithThirith Registered User regular
edited August 2017 in Help / Advice Forum
Do any of you know of a site that has images in 1080p and 2160p so I can make a direct comparison on my TV? I'm asking because to be honest I've yet to really note all that much of a difference in image quality between HD and 4K material, but I'd imagine that some of that is due to compression; I probably can't really expect Netflix 4K to look all that much more impressive than Blu-ray video. And that's before even taking into consideration my distance to the screen.

Anyway, I'm just curious what two otherwise identical images would look like at the two resolutions. I'm also curious whether there are any good videos out there to that effect; YouTube has split-screen comparisons, but I'm not sure they'll be all that telling due to YT's compression.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
"Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
Thirith on

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    This is a pretty good video (skip to 1:15 for direct comparison)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RodCjVf-5AE

Really depends on how far you sit normally and screen size. A 32" TV would never really need 4k unless it was used primarily like a computer monitor, but a 70" might need it even if you are 8' away. Of course, this is highly subjective since vision varies person to person. A person with coke bottle glasses might not ever notice the difference, whereas someone with better vision may very well notice such differences.

For example, even with her new glasses, I can still read street signs from much farther away than my wife can. I can also read finer text. I had a mild astigmatism when I was younger, which seems to have disappeared in recent years, but I haven't worn any vision correcting glasses in 15 years. 4k doesn't really do much for her at more than a couple of feet, but I can see the difference, especially with text.

The downside to this is that I'm significantly more sensitive to light than she is, and I really can't drive during the day without a pair of polarized sunglasses. Snow and rain are particularly painful.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Yeah, I think it's exactly the subjective side that I'm interested in, which is why material that offers a direct comparison would be most interesting.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it's exactly the subjective side that I'm interested in, which is why material that offers a direct comparison would be most interesting.

You are correct that netflix (even with HD, let alone UHD) can be hard to really use to make a good comparison. That's because it will usually adjust the quality based on the network so you can wind up with video quality that isn't as sharp as you'd expect given the resolution you have selected.

If you have a UHD player, you could see if you could rent/borrow a UHD disk and try it out. If you have the BRD already for 1080p, that's going to give you the closes way to compare like for like on that TV to really see what differences there are at your given tv size and viewing distance.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    UHD players aren't really very common around here. I'm thinking of getting one at some point, but that's one of the reasons why I was hoping to find a way of comparing how 4k and 1080p look to me on our TV. (I've got a PS4 Pro, and some games do 4K, but again, it's difficult to have the direct comparison.)

Edit: I've now downloaded some wallpapers in 4K and 1080p, but in most cases I wouldn't be surprised if the larger-res versions aren't original material but basically just 1080p wallpapers blown up to the larger size, perhaps with a sharpening filter.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    UHD players aren't really very common around here. I'm thinking of getting one at some point, but that's one of the reasons why I was hoping to find a way of comparing how 4k and 1080p look to me on our TV. (I've got a PS4 Pro, and some games do 4K, but again, it's difficult to have the direct comparison.)

Edit: I've now downloaded some wallpapers in 4K and 1080p, but in most cases I wouldn't be surprised if the larger-res versions aren't original material but basically just 1080p wallpapers blown up to the larger size, perhaps with a sharpening filter.

Those photos also won't really give you an accurate depiction.

Assuming you have real native 1080p vs 4K versions of the same (or similar enough) picture... yeah, the 4k should blow the 1080p picture out of the water in terms of detail.

But that's not going to show you differences in an actual moving image. Likewise it probably won't show off any HDR features your TV may have.
    The 4k material will be better (not counting terrible half assed 4k remasters and the like). The only real question is how much better it will be given your viewing setup (tv size, distance, lighting, etc), and if it's noticeable enough (or at all) for you to care.