As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony Refuses To Warranty PS3-UPDATE-THE CALL!!!

• Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I kept my PS3 box, put the recipe in the box, and the box is now in my closet. It's not hard to keep track of these things... I bought mine from BB, IF I did lose the recipe, BB can print me up another one by providing the Credit Card # I used.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I kept my PS3 box, put the recipe in the box, and the box is now in my closet. It's not hard to keep track of these things... I bought mine from BB, IF I did lose the recipe, BB can print me up another one by providing the Credit Card # I used.

Which doesn't help the OP at all, considering that he received his PS3 as a gift.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    That said, handing over the receipt as well would be the clever thing to do when giving away expensive electronics.

Echo on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited December 2007

The recipe for what? Delicious apple pie?

bongi on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    And anyway, if they were doing it to "prevent theft" the simple way of doing that would be to have a system in place so that when you get your shit stolen you can ring up customer service and have that PS3tagged as stolen.

That way when it logs onto the PSN they can go, "Hey look there it is!".

If they have the serial numbers they pretty much have a system such as that.

They arent trying to keep themselves from getting sued[ha ha ha, assisting in petty theft, what in the world will Sony ever do!?!?!?"]

They are trying to not pay money out to as many people for defective products as possible.

It isnt about Sony being busted for petty theft, it's about the operator.
    The operator would be breaching procedure, and they would be the ones getting in shit.

The fact you thought I was refering to Sony in that statement, then attempted to belittle me for it really does not bode well for your cognitive capacity.

Also, all barcodes on the one type product are the same. They can tell that such and such from such and such batch was sold, but they can't pin down one console.
    Also, I have a feeling the theif would be able to obtain the serial number if they broke into someones house to steal a PS3. That provides little security for the true owner of the PS3.
    No, i am going to belittle you for;

1. Believing the shit they told you

2. Thinking that what i was doing before was belittling.

They tell you that shit, so that you dont have to lie to a customer on the line. And because if you did tell a customer "we do this because fuck you guys" they would have a lot of problems. The company isnt worried about getting "assistance to petty theft", and nor is the operator, the company is worried about getting as few replacements out the door to affect their bottom line.
    It isn't meant to be thrown out, it is the fucking warranty conditions.

The point is, you dunderhead, that the warranty conditions are specificially setup in order to screw people out of their warranty.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Which doesn't help the OP at all, considering that he received his PS3 as a gift.

Well I didn't really buy mine. My parents bought me mine as a gift. (since they got my sister a laptop for college and I'm through with school.. at least for now) My mom bought it off her friend that waited in line for it on launch day with his friend. They both got 20G's but one of the dudes that got one didn't really play games, just got it thinking it was going to be like the X360 release and wanted to eBay it or something.

My mom said she wanted to get me the 60G, so we went back up to BB later that month (with no receipt) and was able to provide her friends Credit Card # along with them scanning the serial number, bam they had the receipt on record, upgraded to the 60G with new receipt and extended warranty.

So like the OP, I got mine as a gift, was able to obtain a receipt, and get mine replaced.

bongi wrote: »

The recipe for what? Delicious apple pie?

The perfect recipe to getting your broken PS3 replaced with one that works.... I'm at work and tired.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Blaket wrote: »
    And anyway, if they were doing it to "prevent theft" the simple way of doing that would be to have a system in place so that when you get your shit stolen you can ring up customer service and have that PS3tagged as stolen.

That way when it logs onto the PSN they can go, "Hey look there it is!".

If they have the serial numbers they pretty much have a system such as that.

They arent trying to keep themselves from getting sued[ha ha ha, assisting in petty theft, what in the world will Sony ever do!?!?!?"]

They are trying to not pay money out to as many people for defective products as possible.

It isnt about Sony being busted for petty theft, it's about the operator.
    The operator would be breaching procedure, and they would be the ones getting in shit.

The fact you thought I was refering to Sony in that statement, then attempted to belittle me for it really does not bode well for your cognitive capacity.

Also, all barcodes on the one type product are the same. They can tell that such and such from such and such batch was sold, but they can't pin down one console.
    Also, I have a feeling the theif would be able to obtain the serial number if they broke into someones house to steal a PS3. That provides little security for the true owner of the PS3.
    No, i am going to belittle you for;

1. Believing the shit they told you

2. Thinking that what i was doing before was belittling.

They tell you that shit, so that you dont have to lie to a customer on the line. And because if you did tell a customer "we do this because fuck you guys" they would have a lot of problems. The company isnt worried about getting "assistance to petty theft", and nor is the operator, the company is worried about getting as few replacements out the door to affect their bottom line.
    It isn't meant to be thrown out, it is the fucking warranty conditions.

The point is, you dunderhead, that the warranty conditions are specificially setup in order to screw people out of their warranty.

I work in retail, I beleive I mentioned this before, and you need the receipt for any form of return or repair.
    And you keep the warranty conditions, not only to maintain the warranty (officially, they need to see these documents to give you your warranty). Even if they dont check it, saying you have it will definately raise your chances of repair.

Also, when a customer asks me for a favour, I know for a fact I am worried about being busted, because you do infact get in shit. Where I work they parade you around the store in handcuffs, I am not shitting you. Then they press the charges.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Retail is not Sony servicing PS3's. Just throwing that out there.

JAEF on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    They operate on the same basis.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think for brick and mortar (retail) stores it is perfectly reasonable for them to ask for a receipt to prove that you did actually buy it from them so that you may claim their warranties. It is absolutely silly for you to be suggesting that the manufacturer should be allowed to ask for a retailer's receipt to honor the manufacturer's warranty.

If that's the case I can't wait for individual specific manufacturer's warranties where maybe Best Buy decides to pay a boatload of cash to have exclusive manufacturer's warranty rights. . .

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

No they don't. At all.

Retail needs receipt.
    Manufacturer only needs S/N.
    Ever.

Djiem on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Djiem wrote: »

No they don't. At all.

Retail needs receipt.
    Ever.

This. (the "this" forum post meme is too hard to not use... I am weak-willed!) Store warranty and manufacturer warranty are two different things.

Edit - Oh fuckity, this gem just caught my eye on the first page.
    A VALID PROOF OF PURCHASE IN THE FORM OF A BILL OF SALE OR RECEIPT FROM AN AUTHORIZED RETAILER WITH THE DATE OF THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE MUST BE PRESENTED TO OBTAIN WARRANTY SERVICE.

Am I a bad person for using this as more reason to not like Sony? I mean, knowing this now means I'd definitely keep track of the receipt. This is underhanded bullshit, however.

I agree with Evander though; just press the issue. Do not buckle.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

No they don't. At all.

Retail needs receipt.
    Ever.

Manufacturer's only need receipts if they try to tell you that your SN was manufactured in April and will only warranty it till April when in-fact you bought it in September and you want it warrantied till September because you aren't going to lose out on time the thing sat on the shelf.

I can't remember exactly, but I think I have my receipt inside the box for my Wii. Along with all the pamphlets, booklets, the little stand and double-sided stickies for the sensor bar, etc. :D I'm a pack rat.

On another note, the whole scan the SN thing, Nintendo doesn't do that with the Wii. There's no way that I remember seeing for the retailer to know what SN is inside a box because there is no second barcode or window (I remember a huge hole in my N64 box) to view the SN on the console from outside of the box.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Henroid wrote: »

No they don't. At all.

Retail needs receipt.
    Ever.

This. (the "this" forum post meme is too hard to not use... I am weak-willed!) Store warranty and manufacturer warranty are two different things.

Edit - Oh fuckity, this gem just caught my eye on the first page.
    A VALID PROOF OF PURCHASE IN THE FORM OF A BILL OF SALE OR RECEIPT FROM AN AUTHORIZED RETAILER WITH THE DATE OF THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE MUST BE PRESENTED TO OBTAIN WARRANTY SERVICE.

Am I a bad person for using this as more reason to not like Sony? I mean, knowing this now means I'd definitely keep track of the receipt. This is underhanded bullshit, however.

I agree with Evander though; just press the issue. Do not buckle.

I don't honestly see how this is underhanded bullshit, it's not like they are asking something out of the ordinary, but I also agree with Evander, that he should press the issue

I just don't see what the big deal is about this, though I don't see why you think this is a reason not to like sony but whatever it's just accepted anymore to hate sony.

Lothars on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    JAEF wrote: »
    Retail is not Sony servicing PS3's. Just throwing that out there.

Limed for "thank god someone finally posted it"...

TBH, you're wrong man, you are terribly, horribly wrong. That's fine, and no one is jumping on your ass about it, but you need to quit arguing shit you know nothing about. You work retail, so you need a receipt to return shit. Sony of America does not. He's got the original box it came in with the proof of purchase, an online account tied to his name, and a legit serial number.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    PennywisePennywise Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just had the exact same problem with my PSP-2000. I don't have the receipt any more and Sony wanted to charge me $80 for them to fix it. I have never heard of needing the receipt like that for something under warranty from the company. I can't understand how they can not fix it for free when the the system has not even been out for more then a few months. It pretty much sealed the deal for me as the last Sony product I ever buy.

Pennywise on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    See, that's some major BS. You need to call Sony and register the product if you already haven't, then use that registration to get your warranty. They're going to keep screwing around with idiot help desk personnel and end up with a class action lawsuit against them, or a billion dollar estimated repair bill like Microsoft.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »

No they don't. At all.

Retail needs receipt.
    Ever.

Manufacturer's only need receipts if they try to tell you that your SN was manufactured in April and will only warranty it till April when in-fact you bought it in September and you want it warrantied till September because you aren't going to lose out on time the thing sat on the shelf.

I can't remember exactly, but I think I have my receipt inside the box for my Wii. Along with all the pamphlets, booklets, the little stand and double-sided stickies for the sensor bar, etc. :D I'm a pack rat.

On another note, the whole scan the SN thing, Nintendo doesn't do that with the Wii. There's no way that I remember seeing for the retailer to know what SN is inside a box because there is no second barcode or window (I remember a huge hole in my N64 box) to view the SN on the console from outside of the box.

Wha? The whole point of scanning the SN when you buy it is to let the company know that the console has been sold. You can assume that it also tells them the date and time.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    *snip*

What he ment is the real owner writes down the serial number and calls Sony saying "Someone stole my PS3, this is my serial number." and they mark it as stolen.

I'm sure Sony would love this, because if you ever get it back, they never have to replace it.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Behemoth wrote: »

No they don't. At all.

Retail needs receipt.
    Ever.

Wha? The whole point of scanning the SN when you buy it is to let the company know that the console has been sold. You can assume that it also tells them the date and time.

Some companies, well, a LOT of companies don't scan the SN when they sell something. Perhaps with the PS3 and 360 they do, but not everyone does. Therefore, if you don't have the receipt they go by the manufacture date on the SN, which can screw you if the product was sitting on the shelf for 6 months.

But you're right, the whole point of scanning the SN is so they know when it was purchased and know how long to warranty the product for. The problem is that a lot of hardware does not do this.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    RoanthRoanth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

No, they really don't. The manufacturer who made a product has much different responsibilities and liabilities than the retailer who sold it. It's really quite basic. Multiple people have pointed out numerous examples and reasons why your "experience" in situations like this are more or less irrelevant. Unless the PS3 is some sort of magic machine that doesn't follow the same basic warranty rules as every other electronic good that is sold in this country, there is really no basis for them to ask for a receipt. Also, please cite any laws you are aware of that could result in criminal prosecution of a customer service rep that approves work for a good within the warranty period if they don't receive a receipt. Would love to see it in the statutes.

Also, going after Guom for his "lack" of cognitive abilities is priceless. Swing by D&D sometime and make some posts, it would really liven things up.

Roanth on
  • Options
    RoanthRoanth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

No they don't. At all.

Retail needs receipt.
    Ever.

Some companies, well, a LOT of companies don't scan the SN when they sell something. Perhaps with the PS3 and 360 they do, but not everyone does. Therefore, if you don't have the receipt they go by the manufacture date on the SN, which can screw you if the product was sitting on the shelf for 6 months.

But you're right, the whole point of scanning the SN is so they know when it was purchased and know how long to warranty the product for. The problem is that a lot of hardware does not do this.

Almost every single retailer (especially one that sells electronic goods) in the U.S. uses a barcode / POS system that captures all the relevant data that people are referring to (a unique SN, date of purchase, blah blah blah). I can't remember the last time I purchased a hard good with a price above $20 that wasn't scanned. Maybe your experience is way different than mine. What outlets do you see that don't ring up electronic goods and provide hand/written or non-standardized receipts?

Roanth on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Roanth wrote: »

No they don't. At all.

Retail needs receipt.
    Ever.

Almost every single retailer (especially one that sells electronic goods) in the U.S. uses a barcode / POS system that captures all the relevant data that people are referring to (a unique SN, date of purchase, blah blah blah). I can't remember the last time I purchased a hard good with a price above $20 that wasn't scanned. Maybe your experience is way different than mine. What outlets do you see that don't ring up electronic goods and provide hand/written or non-standardized receipts?

I'm referring to the fact that they will scan barcode (UPC) information for POS (which contains the brand, model, etc, but NOT a serial # as UPCs are all the same on the same model product) and have no method of capturing the serial number because the company did not put it on the outside of the box or put a window to the SN on the unit itself for scanning purposes. With this method the company has no idea which serial number was sold when, and you would need a receipt to show when you purchased the product because the only date they would have on the SN would be the manufacture date.

EDIT: The four years I worked at Staples this was the case for computers and other high-ticket items. We just scanned the UPC (even if the SN was on the box) and it was sold. Our system (maybe it does now) never prompted or scanned the SN barcodes. So those consumers would need the receipt to prove the actual date of purchase, vs the date of manufacture the company had on that SN.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lothars wrote: »

I don't honestly see how this is underhanded bullshit, it's not like they are asking something out of the ordinary, but I also agree with Evander, that he should press the issue

I just don't see what the big deal is about this, though I don't see why you think this is a reason not to like sony but whatever it's just accepted anymore to hate sony.

No, they are asking something out of the ordinary. The first is that you must maintain a copy of the contract for the contract to be valid. This makes no sense because these contracts are standard and there are millions of them floating around. Sony can open up their computers and read all the clauses in the contract any any time they want. Its not a unique snowflake.

The second is the requirement for a reciept, which is un-nescessary to the execution of the contract.

The warranty is a fairly simple understood contract[that is, one that is agreed upon in general terms] which basicially says "if your product breaks within a certian amount of time, we will fix it". For any contract to be enforcable that doesnt say this, the entirety of the contract must be on display on the box before purchase, anything that is not on the box clearly stated is not a contract that can be enforced.[because technicially you are not agreeing to it]

Its the same deal with EULAs being unenforcible[and dont bring up bnet d, they lost because they violated the DMCA, not because of the EULA]

The systems are in place because its cheaper to pay for "customer support" than it is to pay for new consoles and fixing consoles, such anything they can do to make it harder for you to claim your warranty is in their best interests.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    jlrxjlrx Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I can almost guarentee you that believe it or not some SN was scanned and is scanned, wether you see an opening in the box or not. If there is no record of the SN on that recipt then any doldrum can buy a brand new "item" and put an older busted item back in the box and no one would know it was switched. The SN can just as easily be on the outside of the box in the form of a sticker of some sort.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

The Serial for the Wii is on the outside of the Wii box, on a sticker. I know because when I registered my Wii with Nintendo, I just had to Grab the box and not the actual console.

So yes, they do track serials and they do scan them.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited December 2007

The Serial for the Wii is on the outside of the Wii box, on a sticker. I know because when I registered my Wii with Nintendo, I just had to Grab the box and not the actual console.

So yes, they do track serials and they do scan them.

Ah, I must have missed it when I looked it over.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    Man you Americans keep getting boned on consumer protection laws.

Naw, Sony is just breaking them.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

No, they don't.

Retail is about purchase of goods.

The manufacturer deals with the functioning of those goods.

For instance, if something goes wrong with my (hypothetical) PS3, which I (hypothetically) bought from Bext Buy, I could take it back to BB for the PURPOSE of getting a refund, or I could contact Sony for the PURPOSE of getting repairs. Different things are required in the two different sets of circumstances.

Evander on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I haven't read through all the posts, but if it was bought at Best Buy with rewardzone, they can look up all the purchases and get you a receipt.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Peopl need to get off thier Sony bias really.

Nothing Sony is doing is wrong, they want proof that you bought/recieved it as a gift and not stole it. Its quite reasonable. Ask the gift giver to provide you with a receipt and your all nice and dandy.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Nothing Sony is doing is wrong, they want proof that you bought/recieved it as a gift and not stole it. Its quite reasonable. Ask the gift giver to provide you with a receipt and your all nice and dandy.

It's reasonable to assume that EVERY customer is a thief until proven otherwise?

Shit, your levels of fanboyism suprise me every time.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Evander wrote: »

It's reasonable to assume that EVERY customer is a thief until proven otherwise?

Well, prove to me otherwise.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Has the thing even been out for more than a year? I called Nintendo up and told them my Wii needed a repair... When they asked me when I bought it I told them Nov. 18th (the release date, can't remember), and they took my word on it. Didn't even ask for a receipt to send it in.

urahonky on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Shit even ignoring any kind of consumer protection laws this is fucked. Microsoft and Nintendo will take care of you without a receipt, why won't Sony? Is it bias to expect the same level of service from all of consoles?

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

In order for Sony to deny their warranty, THEY are the ones who would have to prove otherwise.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

In order for Sony to deny their warranty, THEY are the ones who would have to prove otherwise.

Aside from the OP hre who recieved it as a gift,

Tell me my Joe Blow from down the hall, that stole a PS3 and called sony to fix it, should get his PS3 fixed unless he provides proof of purchase.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Tell me my Joe Blow from down the hall, that stole a PS3 and called sony to fix it, should get his PS3 fixed unless he provides proof of purchase.

He should. It shouldn't be assumed that he stole it. Unless they can prove he stole it (instead of him needing to prove he didn't), they need to honor their warranty.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Tell me that a kid who scrimped and saved for a full year, mowing lawns, shovling sidewalks, etc., until finally he had enough money for a PS3, but didn't hold on to the reciept, should be told that he's SOL if it breaks.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ronen wrote: »

He should. It shouldn't be assumed that he stole it. Unless they can prove he stole it (instead of him needing to prove he didn't), they need to honor their warranty.

No, they are honoring their warranty if you provide that you actually purchased/gifted a system. If you stole it and asking for a fix, tough luck. Proof shoudl always be provided.

Katchem_ash on