Options

Discworld! (Terry Pratchett has passed away; world cries a collective "Buggrit.")

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    from what we know, you can kill death, but another death will take his place since it's a universal concept and will exist as long as there are things to reap and even if there aren't he's still around to turn the proverbial lights off and wait around till more stuff spontaneously comes to existence(Eric). Further more you can continue existing after you die on the disk, you're just stuck as a ghost or zombie or something else, but if you want life, you need time, like in the form of those sand clocks but even that's not a hundred percent sure as some wily wizard with too much luck and a constant dose of magic radiation can have an infinite supply of it.

One of the more interesting things about New Death was that, being the Death of only humans, he took on qualities that humans would ascribe to the anthropic manifestation of death but that the previous Death didn't have. While Old Death was the death of cavemen, who knew that death just happened, New Death had a sense drama and wore a crown, because that's what people want to expect of Death. A lord of all, not a spiritual janitor.

Old Death turned up wherever you died and moved you on.
    New Death would hunt you down, because "civilized" people fear death.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Fun fact: Lobsang Ludd may be influenced by Lobsang Rampa, an author of Tibetan occult books most notably The Thirds Eye, a story in which Lobsang sees yetis and eventually encounters a mummified body of himself from an earlier incarnation.
    Some time after it's publication it was found that the book was actually written by one Cyril Henry Hoskin, a plumber from Plympton in Devon.
    When confronted Hoskin insisted that the spirit of an ancient Tibetan monk had possessed his body after he fell off of a fir tree in his garden, while attempting to photograph an owl.

Just stumbled on this watching the new QI... no owls were involved.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Fun fact: Lobsang Ludd may be influenced by Lobsang Rampa, an author of Tibetan occult books most notably The Thirds Eye, a story in which Lobsang sees yetis and eventually encounters a mummified body of himself from an earlier incarnation.
    Some time after it's publication it was found that the book was actually written by one Cyril Henry Hoskin, a plumber from Plympton in Devon.
    When confronted Hoskin insisted that the spirit of an ancient Tibetan monk had possessed his body after he fell off of a fir tree in his garden, while attempting to photograph an owl.

Well, that is when they come for you. Bloody ancient Tibetan monk disembodied spirits, always lurking around owl-rich fir trees...

sig.gif
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I think Vetinari simply wouldn't leave this world until he was good and ready to do so. Though I doubt he'd do anything so crude as becoming a vampire. An annual game of 'how does the horsey one move again?' should suffice to keep him on the Disc until he decides to move on.
    That implies that Death isn't any good at the game, or any game that people challenge him for.
    He's never lost (except one time, where he willingly threw the game. Given that all he had were 'four ones', it's a stretch to call that losing).

I've rethought my position on this.

Nobody will ever take over Vintinari's position. Whoever becomes his assistant (Vimes or Moist or Carrot) will always be the one to 'bring the problem to Lord Ventinari'. Even if hes dead, nobody would really believe it. the second in command would always be the one in command.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Careful, that's what happened to Borogravia.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Mods, When we hit 100 pages, please archive this thread forever.

GNU Terry Pratchett

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    From the SE++ Snugglehug thread:
    CwMbVf0XYAAAL_Q.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    What an adorable Great A'Tuin.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Origami Discworld
    ann05qlckqzj.jpg
    ugdn2bccj9c1.jpg
    pwxqf2hvtvqr.jpg
    There's a guide to making one here, if anyone's interested.

2.jpg 55.4K
    3.jpg 67.4K
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Cake Discworld!
    d5leili4qboi.jpg
    (More pictures on the site.)

cake.jpg 317.1K
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

I don't think I could take a knife and fork to that in good conscience.

• Options
    Decades from now...

"Hey Mego, are we ever gonna eat that Discworld cake?"
    "Nope."

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Still waiting for that American Gods adaptation.

I got Shepard's Crown for Christmas. Still haven't actually opened it though.

I think it's that and Raising Steam and I'm done, no more new Discworld books ever :(

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

I recall reading the Neil Gaiman did not believe a movie was actually going to be made until he was sitting in the theatre eating popcorn. Terry Pratchett said it would take more than that to convince him.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular

I recall reading the Neil Gaiman did not believe a movie was actually going to be made until he was sitting in the theatre eating popcorn. Terry Pratchett said it would take more than that to convince him.

I know that Gaiman didn't want to do a movie after Pratchett died because Good Omens was their baby, but then he got a letter from Pratchett after he died telling Gaiman to do so.

With Gaiman in charge, you know it will be done right because it will be done with love.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

I know that Gaiman didn't want to do a movie after Pratchett died because Good Omens was their baby, but then he got a letter from Pratchett after he died telling Gaiman to do so.

With Gaiman in charge, you know it will be done right because it will be done with love.

Oh, I'm not worried about the quality, I'm worried about it being made at all (where is American Gods). I'm sure we all heard the story of what happened to the attempt at turning Mort into a Hollywood movie.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Oh, I'm not worried about the quality, I'm worried about it being made at all (where is American Gods). I'm sure we all heard the story of what happened to the attempt at turning Mort into a Hollywood movie.

Err....it premiers in April. They may be doing some effects work but those episodes are shot and it is definitely happening.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Caught Back in Black completely by accident tonight as I had no idea it was coming. Highly recommended. Be prepared for many tears.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options

And since I was buying that for myself I grabbed my wife a Greebo plushie while I was on the site and it was in stock.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Not exactly Discworld, but every Pratchett/Gaiman fan has heard the news that Michael Sheen and David Tennant will star as Aziraphale and Crowley (respectively) in the Good Omens production, yes?

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Slightly disappointed they didn’t tap Matt Smith for Aziraphale but I guess back-to-back Doctors playing opposed angels would be too on the nose….
    Sheen is definitely a good pick though.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    What ever happen to the Night watch TV series that was supposidly being made?

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »

Not to toot my own horn, but…

• Options
    Yeah, the death of the author is a tremendous help to getting adaptations made.
    I think that was why Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy took so long.

Gaiman is unusual in that a number of his books have made it to the screen with surprisingly little difficulty, as far as I know.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »

Not to toot my own horn, but…

Well its different in that Night Watch was supposidly in production with Terry as an advisor so it at least had movement on the project when he died.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    They're releasing the entire Discworld series in hardcover, with really beautiful illustrations instead of cartoons on the front. I've decided to collect them all!

Here's Hogfather. You can't see in this pic but all of the art has parts that are kind of a reflective foil that glitters in the light. The overall look is super classy:

Hogfather.jpg

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    I've started reading the series in release order and just finished Reaper Man.

Looking forward to seeing more of Death of Rats.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    I've started reading the series in release order and just finished Reaper Man.

Looking forward to seeing more of Death of Rats.
    SQUEAK.

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    They're releasing the entire Discworld series in hardcover, with really beautiful illustrations instead of cartoons on the front. I've decided to collect them all!

Here's Hogfather. You can't see in this pic but all of the art has parts that are kind of a reflective foil that glitters in the light. The overall look is super classy:

Hogfather.jpg

I may have to purchase this, all of them.

• Options
    I'll always be a Josh Kirby fan.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    Spaffy wrote: »

Hogfather.jpg

I may have to purchase this, all of them.

That's my plan.

They're also grouped and being released as packages - so Witches, Watch, Wizards etc. Neat!

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Paul Kidby for life!

• Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    I'll always be a Josh Kirby fan.
    Paul Kidby for life!

It's obvious this disagreement can only be solved in a trial by combat.

• Options
    I don't know who did this, but I like it (spoilers for Thud, I guess):
    xy7swtesrnpz.jpg

• Options
    Well it actually resembles something that happens in a book so it isn't Kirby.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    I have conflicting feelings about the Kirby covers.
    He never tries to put one thing that happens in the book on there, he tries to put everything that happens in the book on there. On the plus side, this means the cover can't spoil anything in the story, as the result is such a mess you can't identify anything until you already know what it was.
    On the minus side, it's a chaotic mess, and when I can identify some characters, I start to take issue with how they're shown.
    On the neutral side, it's still managed to set itself as the iconic 'look' of a discworld cover for more than half the series, so there's that familiarity to it.

edit: Also, the cropped versions of Kirbys covers they're using for the UK covers now are complete garbage. People missing limbs, hands appearing on things when the rest of the person's been cropped out, the whole lot.

On the other hand entirely, Paul Kidby has done some fantastic covers, and Night Watch is probably my favourite cover of the entire series:
    n5wzlzq8df32.jpg
    I mean, I can identify almost every single person in that.

klemming on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Does Vimes have two left hands there?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Does Vimes have two left hands there?
    there are absolutely 2 left hands of Sam Vimes in that picture

• Options
    I went looking for references, and, well...

It is hidden in shadow, but does it look to you like the character in the original painting has his cane hand turned around? It does to me!

Link because I don't know how big this picture is on mobile:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/The_Nightwatch_by_Rembrandt.jpg/1280px-The_Nightwatch_by_Rembrandt.jpg

GNU Terry Pratchett
This discussion has been closed.