As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Jobs]: The Reason People Are Stuck In Airports

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Thanks, folks.

Don't feel so bad now about the blood spraying. NOW I feel bad about failing at a heel draw on a three day old infant. But seriously, would it be that expensive to just put the kid under some lights in case of jaundice instead of making someone who's done a whole two heel draws (one of which was in training, one of which failed miserably) try to get blood out of a baby's foot?

Note: if you ever need the blood of a child for some reason, please make sure the child is at least six months old.

What's the process for doing a full blood transfusion on a premature baby? Cause that's what happened to me!

Heck if I know. All my training and experience is for getting blood out, not putting it back in.

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    i think you can just put the blood in a bottle and make the baby drink it

broken image link
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    A new born baby's skin is still porous, you can just leave them sitting in a bucket of blood and they'll soak up what they need.

Gvzbgul on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I've been taking a little break since leaving that last job. I realized today that I'm still on their advertising mailing list. I was the person who did all the proofreading, spellchecking, etc.

I opened up the latest one and it's riddled with spelling mistakes, bad formatting and links that don't lead to the proper page. Good luck guys!

And now that I've enjoyed a few weeks off, I should start looking for work seriously again. Can anyone recommend a good webpage/guide for resumes? I haven't had to worry about one in...a while...

uyvfOQy.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    A new born baby's skin is still porous, you can just leave them sitting in a bucket of blood and they'll soak up what they need.

This is why babies are the best for a marinade

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I know the conversation has moved on but I have to say, I was an absolute nightmare when I had to get shots when I was a kid. Like, my mother had to sit on me and convince the nurse to kneel on my arm. She started bribing me after I bucked her off though.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    It's so nice out. The sun is shining. It's 60 degrees. Very little humidity.

Welp, time to sit in a stuffy office with no windows for the next 8 - 9 hours.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I feel guilty because I'm not at PAX so everyone is super busy and I'm not

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »

Do you work in some kind of special environment that prohibits windows? Because otherwise that sounds like a health and safety thing.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Then I remembered that everyone else is eating out on expenses this weekend and I don't feel bad any more.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Came into work to find out all the bathrooms in the building are broken.

... Is it bad to kind of hope they shut down the office today as a result, because I'm not really sure how people are gonna function if they can't use the restroom.

Start leaving about an hour in. If anyone asks you where you're going just say "home to take a shit."

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Moriveth wrote: »

... Is it bad to kind of hope they shut down the office today as a result, because I'm not really sure how people are gonna function if they can't use the restroom.

There's no hard and fast OSHA regulation for how long you can make people work when the restrooms are out of order, but you can't make people work all day without access to a toilet. In general, unless you can get to a toilet within ten minutes and have unrestricted access to said toilet, your office is getting into dangerous territory if they stay open for more than two hours.

If you can get to a Walmart or something within ten minutes, they have to let you drive to Walmart basically whenever you would ordinarily be allowed to take a bathroom break. If there are no public toilets within driving distance, they should really close the office to avoid an OSHA complaint.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure there aren't any, either. The separate building from us may have a working bathroom but they're a super high-security investment firm so I don't think those count?

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    mcp wrote: »

Do you work in some kind of special environment that prohibits windows? Because otherwise that sounds like a health and safety thing.
    My office used to be an edit suite. Most of our edit suites don't have windows. The ones that do have blackout curtains that are shut 99% of the time anyway.

Dang, they're not closing the office. I guess a building in the same parking lot as us is letting us use the bathroom. Boo, I say. Boo!

Letting you use the bathroom?! Make them regret it.

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    so like, would it be wrong to use divorce stuff as an excuse to miss work for an out of state interview...

It's too soon since my last interview in california to ask for more vacation time, especially considering I've had over a week of hurri-cation already. So far it's the best, semi-truth that I can come up with. I think pretending to be sick might be beyond my acting capabilities. Also, I'll have to leave early on that Thursday to make my flight. I think I'm going to shift my schedule up by an hour or so to accommodate my planned absence as well as be aligned with an east coast interview.

Would really be nice if I had more local jobs that I was interested in. Flying to opposite coasts is very tricky. It typically costs me two full workdays, which starts to look fishy after a bit. Also, this will put me at like 2 days of vacation time left.

Tell them that you're volunteering to extract my stupid cats so they don't starve to death when the apartment manager runs out of cat food. Once I actually drive down there and fetch them, I will provide adorable corroborating evidence.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    It's sad that this is a comparable benefit, but apparently a bonus of being in a job where I have to examine pee all day is that keeping the bathrooms working, maintained, and numerous is a high priority. Thanks, people with UTIs.

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2017
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Tell them that you're volunteering to extract my stupid cats so they don't starve to death when the apartment manager runs out of cat food. Once I actually drive down there and fetch them, I will provide adorable corroborating evidence.

If you actually need this, let me know. PM me the deets and I'll run a bag of catfood out, assuming that your part of town is safe to drive in. I think Houston is pretty much back to normal, at least to the beltway. Past that, I-10 west gets iffy.

This interview is on the 15th though, so a cat food run 2 weeks after Harvey will not actually work as an excuse. Maybe I'll just no-show and deal with getting bitched at. I dunno.

Dynagrip on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    so like, would it be wrong to use divorce stuff as an excuse to miss work for an out of state interview...

It's too soon since my last interview in california to ask for more vacation time, especially considering I've had over a week of hurri-cation already. So far it's the best, semi-truth that I can come up with. I think pretending to be sick might be beyond my acting capabilities. Also, I'll have to leave early on that Thursday to make my flight. I think I'm going to shift my schedule up by an hour or so to accommodate my planned absence as well as be aligned with an east coast interview.

Would really be nice if I had more local jobs that I was interested in. Flying to opposite coasts is very tricky. It typically costs me two full workdays, which starts to look fishy after a bit. Also, this will put me at like 2 days of vacation time left.

I dunno if divorce shit counts, but it's a definite no-no to use fake medical stuff to deceptively get time off.

What is this I don't even.
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

My old work place had the water main break so they sent everybody home on day 1.

Day 2 they had porta potties and two cases of bottled water to greet people on the way in.

Dynagrip wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »

If you actually need this, let me know. PM me the deets and I'll run a bag of catfood out, assuming that your part of town is safe to drive in. I think Houston is pretty much back to normal, at least to the beltway. Past that, I-10 west gets iffy.

This interview is on the 15th though, so a cat food run 2 weeks after Harvey will not actually work as an excuse. Maybe I'll just no-show and deal with getting bitched at. I dunno.

Thanks, but I'm making an Epic Journey from OKC to Houston and back on Sunday. My current plan is to go down there with a couple of five-gallon gas cans in case Denton is as screwed as Dallas, gas-wise. If not, I'll leave them with Mrs. Jedoc's apartment manager to parcel out to any tenants who need to get somewhere.

Hit me up if you need some pictures of bedraggled refugee cats in two weeks, though. Happy to help. Otherwise, good luck with the interview.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Doing book ordering right now.

This is me,

p8tr87bewn3q.jpg

except replace "take" with "book description" and it is 100% accurate.

Some of these just. Ugh. How did they get published?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    So the random message on LinkedIn that lead to a phone interview lead to a Skype interview and now I have an interview at the actual office.

I am now made more nervous because the third stage is the last stage of most boss fights. The interview is probably going to change patterns or the floor falls out or something. Either way, I'm jumping on someones head. It'll show I'm a go-getter.

Just keep an eye on the enrage timer and you'll be fine.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    fuck leaky guinea-pig waterers.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    fuck leaky guinea-pig waterers.

Why the fuck do they all leak slightly when you turn them right side up from holding it upside down?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    For a moment there I thought that "guinea-pig waterers" was another Australia-ism.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    more importantly, why do they never STOP leaking?

this is hindering the path of science

do you think a Presta valve would work on a water reservoir?

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Doing book ordering right now.

This is me,

p8tr87bewn3q.jpg

except replace "take" with "book description" and it is 100% accurate.

Some of these just. Ugh. How did they get published?

I love those book descriptions. They provide a boost of confidence that if they can get that published then I know I can do it too.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Yes
    I don't actually know but I wanna see you do it anyways

If you're going to be testing out a new valve, I can't think of a more suitable subject.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm waiting for tynic to invent a better version of the guinea pig/hamster valve thing and sell it

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I'm waiting for tynic to invent a better version of the guinea pig/hamster valve thing and sell it

It's the little things that make you millions

... dang. hmm.

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I've been taking a little break since leaving that last job. I realized today that I'm still on their advertising mailing list. I was the person who did all the proofreading, spellchecking, etc.

I opened up the latest one and it's riddled with spelling mistakes, bad formatting and links that don't lead to the proper page. Good luck guys!

And now that I've enjoyed a few weeks off, I should start looking for work seriously again. Can anyone recommend a good webpage/guide for resumes? I haven't had to worry about one in...a while...

I can't tell you how much joy I felt after I quit a shitty job where I felt abused and after a few weeks I received a call in the middle of the night from safety and security about an incident. Everyone was okay. However, the elation at knowing that not only was I still on the call-list, but the other two people on the call list were fired at least a year prior to me quitting. Sorry, safety and security person, have fun calling a district manager at 12:30AM.

And then when I found out a little later that the store manager was told to either quit or they would fire him brought me near immeasurable happiness. He was the single worst boss I have ever had in my life. I found a wondrous relief in knowing that I was right about the place falling apart without me there holding it together. But whatever, I had move to a job that didn't have weekend hours and was super accommodating towards my college schedule and there was just so much less stress. As long as no one would have gotten hurt I would have been fine if that previous place burned to the ground. I was there and happy for like 7 years and one awful goose of a manager managed (about the only thing he managed actually) to make it a living hell in less than one year.

• RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular

Would upgrading to one of these help? Best baby shower gift I ever got:

814hOiUgfdL._SX522_.jpg
    I never got one of these for my baby shower. Bummer.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Last day and the urge is STRONG to just peace out. But it turns out I need money to live??

I'll probably make it a short day in any case. Also found out I won't get an exit interview after all, which lol, but it's not really as important to me anymore since they have that internal ideas forum now.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    edited September 2017
    Oghulk wrote: »

It's the little things that make you millions

There are a couple of people who routinely show up to dinner parties in my circle of friends. They both essentially retired at the age of 23 because one of them patented some sort of valve while he was a student, it got pretty popular in the oil industry, and now they just draw an upper-middle class income from the royalties while living like students and perpetually re-investing the surplus.

I want to hate them, but they're just being so sensible about the whole thing. And they're both super sweet people.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.