As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jobs]: The Reason People Are Stuck In Airports

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Copier and printer is still not fixed, so no one can really work.

Semi-related, I'm about 1/4 done with the outline for the second book in what I guess is going to be intended as a trilogy now. Or a single, three-parter. Who knows, I'll hammer that out later, right now it's words on the page don't look back don't think just write.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    sales people who cold call are probably the worst of people in the realm of "sales people are the worst people"

We had somebody cold call trying to sell magazine subscriptions. I guess they thought we had a waiting room? No, we are a power plant and you are calling the control room, goodbye.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I loved it when they tried to bypass me and "speak to the business owner"
    no, trust me, you do not want to speak to the business owner
    if you talk to me, I will politely tell you we don't want whatever you're selling and hang up
    if you get through to him, you will get a twenty minute diatribe about how whatever company you're selling for is a pack of incompetent shitbirds and are teaming up with the Tories to run the country into the ground. Also he'll probably ask for your sales department contact details and then send them a poorly punctuated email of complaint.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I did some research and I was just straight wrong. Ain't nothing directly in violation of some federal law about saying you have a doctor's appointment when you don't.

It IS however the #1 most common excuse for job interviews according to a ton of surveys.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    tynic wrote: »
    if you talk to me, I will politely tell you we don't want whatever you're selling and hang up
    if you get through to him, you will get a twenty minute diatribe about how whatever company you're selling for is a pack of incompetent shitbirds and are teaming up with the Tories to run the country into the ground. Also he'll probably ask for your sales department contact details and then send them a poorly punctuated email of complaint.

your company's owner is the best

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    sales people who cold call are probably the worst of people in the realm of "sales people are the worst people"

We had somebody cold call trying to sell magazine subscriptions. I guess they thought we had a waiting room? No, we are a power plant and you are calling the control room, goodbye.

If someone did this at my work i would straight up interrogate them and tell them some sort of government security agency was now going to contact them

• Options

your company's owner is the best

he was (is) a histrionic dick of epic proportions, but it was always fun to see that firehose turned on somebody else

his one-man war against other local businesses is still playing itself out on my facebook feed, which is fun.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

If someone did this at my work i would straight up interrogate them and tell them some sort of government security agency was now going to contact them

Yeah but we're solar, not nuclear. Really it was just annoying having to stop playing videogames and watching Netflix to answer the phone.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I hate solicitors, Bowen. Walk in ones at the family furniture store were the worst.

• Options
    Yeah when they come to my apartment I get rationally angry about the whole thing.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    My high school used to make us door-to-door sell cheesecakes for a band fundraiser thing. I still live in the town, so they stop by my house twice a year. Conversation generally goes:

Me-Hey I remember doing this! Haha, sucks right? Yall want some water?
    Them- Awesome, haha. Yeah!
    ~gives out bottled waters~
    Us- Man is that guy still band director? Random stories about it, etc.
    Them- So, you wanna buy a cheesecake?
    Me- Hell no. ~slams door~

Enc on
  • Options
    I remember when the boyscots were going door to door with bags of orville redenbocker and that other brand of microwavable popcorn. Buy individual bags for $1. Listen, I could buy a box of 50 for $5, I ain't gonna buy your shittypop for $1 a bag, get real.

But girlscouts and their cookies though...

Oh my god just fill up my car thanks, here's a blank check.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

Yeah but we're solar, not nuclear. Really it was just annoying having to stop playing videogames and watching Netflix to answer the phone.

Can i transfer to solar

• Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    We put solicitors on infinite hold if they call where I work.

When they call back, we apologize and do it again.

Eventually they figure it out.

If you ask for the owner, infinite hold.

Basically don't call my work unless you have a really good reason.

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    Enc wrote: »
    I hate solicitors, Bowen. Walk in ones at the family furniture store were the worst.
    Yeah when they come to my apartment I get rationally angry about the whole thing.

... oh right. Thought you meant a legal solicitor and was very confused for a while.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm waiting for tynic to invent a better version of the guinea pig/hamster valve thing and sell it

... dang. hmm.

Any chance of just a better guinea pig or hamster? Possibly with lasers?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I remember when the boyscots were going door to door with bags of orville redenbocker and that other brand of microwavable popcorn. Buy individual bags for $1. Listen, I could buy a box of 50 for $5, I ain't gonna buy your shittypop for $1 a bag, get real.

Which bakery serves your area?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    It's 4:15.
    On the Friday before Labor Day, an actual holiday off in the U.S.
    Our project is slated to wrap up by the end of the day on Tuesday.
    Everyone has gone for the weekend to places where they cannot be contacted.
    And the environments are down.
    And I've run out of YouTube videos to watch.

• Options
    edited September 2017

Which bakery serves your area?

of the girl scouts?

I dunno it's a bunch of little girls whose parents have giant SUV fulls of cookies and then they dump them all into my gaping maw.

bowen on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It's 4:15.
    On the Friday before Labor Day, an actual holiday off in the U.S.
    Our project is slated to wrap up by the end of the day on Tuesday.
    Everyone has gone for the weekend to places where they cannot be contacted.
    And the environments are down.
    And I've run out of YouTube videos to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjZqZWbmXK4&t=13s

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Cold call salesmen are the highlight of my day. They don't often get through to me on the phone any more, because the call center they reach first has learned to direct their call to my voicemail without my phone ringing, knowing full well that my work voicemail is a graveyard that no legitimate communication ever gets directed into, and I delete it without listening once a week. Every so often we'll have a new call center person who doesn't know the drill yet, and they'll send one through to me directly, and it becomes a game of how long I can string out the call before mentioning to them that I have no purchasing authority whatsoever (I do actually, but they can't prove that shit).

At that point, the game shifts to how useless can I pretend to be before they sound like they want to come to the office and fight me. Oh, you want to talk to someone who does have purchasing authority? Yeah, the entire upper management team is on a cruise in the Caribbean. I forget when they'll be back. Sorry. Let me write down your phone number on this imaginary pad of paper with my imaginary pen and I'll make sure someone sees it. Who will I make sure sees it? Oh, dang, I forgot the guy's name. Tall guy. Red hair, glasses. Other vague physical features that don't actually match a specific human who works for our company, and are in fact diametrically opposed in most ways to the actual person whose name you would want, so that when you call in asking for them directly no one will have any clue who you're asking about. Hold up, it'll come to me. If you just stay on the line a few more minutes, I'm sure the name will pop into my head. No? Got to go? Ah, crap, ok. Better just give me that contact info, I promise I'll pass it to the appropriate people (A.K.A. the invisible man who lives in my fucking Garbage Can).

The ones who drop into the warehouse in person are the best, because I get to skip the Purchasing Power intro and straight to the advanced stage Useless game, with the bonus that 1.) I can get them a LOT more riled up before they become confrontational about it, due to being a large scary man, and 2.) I get to listen to the people in the rooms just around the corner from the lobby where my desk is try not to laugh loud enough that anyone realizes they're there. I describe my job title jokingly as Gate Ogre, but I swear, 90% of why they put me in this office is so I could be an immovable force who's too socially maladjusted to care if strangers hate me.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Can you -- or would you, even if you can -- just sit at your desk? They've already put you down as re-hireable, so is just farting the day away an option?

Thanks for the suggestion, @chromdom I managed to *mostly* fuck around without my supervisor noticing and now she's gone for the day. The one time she did come by my desk I happened to take a call just then. Now she's gone, I ain't taking any more calls today. Working on my doll clothes Patreon.

BqEg-65CAAA8C3o.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Can't believe I got thanked for suggesting someone copy 80-90% of my normal day to day activity.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I feel bad for my friend at Oracle that has to do cold call sales. Everyday I see him the light leaves his eyes just a little more

He really needs to get out of there and go to law school

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'd live off the dole before I did cold call sales

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Moving and 10 hour graveyard shifts painful

This new condo owner pushed hard to see if we can handle it. I just need a moment to center myself.

• Options
    Friday activities: supergluing somebody's superglue to their desk.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I drew a penis on the bottom of my boss' mug with black permanent marker so whenever he drank it in the way he does (tips it right back so he can drink loads at once) everyone else could see it

Anyway he detected it and exasperatedly blacked out the whole bottom of the mug with the same marker so I couldn't do it again

So I tipex'd a penis on the bottom of his mug

Anyway he tipex'd the whole thing white

So today because he was the bearer of shitty work news about secondment to a shitty team yesterday I drew a penis on the bottom of the tipex'd mug in black permanent marker and he said "this is entirely fair, although it's pointing the wrong way. It should be pointing towards you, after all, you're the one getting shafted"

:(

too real man

too real

• Options
    "I think another coat of rubber will do the job"
    "That's what I thought, and now I have a son."

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I AM FREEEEEEEE!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I've been taking a little break since leaving that last job. I realized today that I'm still on their advertising mailing list. I was the person who did all the proofreading, spellchecking, etc.

I opened up the latest one and it's riddled with spelling mistakes, bad formatting and links that don't lead to the proper page. Good luck guys!

And now that I've enjoyed a few weeks off, I should start looking for work seriously again. Can anyone recommend a good webpage/guide for resumes? I haven't had to worry about one in...a while...

I can't tell you how much joy I felt after I quit a shitty job where I felt abused and after a few weeks I received a call in the middle of the night from safety and security about an incident. Everyone was okay. However, the elation at knowing that not only was I still on the call-list, but the other two people on the call list were fired at least a year prior to me quitting. Sorry, safety and security person, have fun calling a district manager at 12:30AM.

And then when I found out a little later that the store manager was told to either quit or they would fire him brought me near immeasurable happiness. He was the single worst boss I have ever had in my life. I found a wondrous relief in knowing that I was right about the place falling apart without me there holding it together. But whatever, I had move to a job that didn't have weekend hours and was super accommodating towards my college schedule and there was just so much less stress. As long as no one would have gotten hurt I would have been fine if that previous place burned to the ground. I was there and happy for like 7 years and one awful goose of a manager managed (about the only thing he managed actually) to make it a living hell in less than one year.

Yup, I used to be the one they'd call to find anything that was misplaced, to fix the computers, to unlock a door when someone lost their keys for the thousandth time, and of course to cover every shift possible for a bunch of teenagers who ask for emergency days off 'to go out'. Followed by needing the next day off as well because they're 'sick'.

Sadly they'll survive and continue to make the owners even richer. I'm sure if I check back in a few months I won't recognize anyone that works there by then, though.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Just ended a 15 hour work day with my school's first home football game against our bitter rivals. Both our teams suck so the game was actually really close and exciting up till the end with the biggest crowds I've seen yet at a home game.

We still lost but we got two touchdowns which I consider a massive improvement over previous years.

Since I was working as a supervisor for the stands, which really just means standing there getting paid, I get one free food item and drink from concessions. I ended up getting one hotdog, one hamburger, and one pizza with two drinks for free. They kept refusing my money after the first food and I'm like okay!

I will now sleep till Monday afternoon.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I did some research and I was just straight wrong. Ain't nothing directly in violation of some federal law about saying you have a doctor's appointment when you don't.

It IS however the #1 most common excuse for job interviews according to a ton of surveys.

yeah, trying to come up with something credible is stressing me out more than the thought of the interview. ffffff

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

yeah, trying to come up with something credible is stressing me out more than the thought of the interview. ffffff

Possibly some nonspecific family emergency?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The problem with the drippers leaking is that the stamped end of the cheap tube they use doesn't seal very well around the ball. If it was an injection-moulded piece of nylon instead it would have a much higher chance of sealing on the ball bearing. The problem is that making it out of nylon with a thick enough wall to give it enough strength to prevent breakage and still fit between the wires of the enclosure would be difficult, and might require a much more exotic material which would increase costs again.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    nothing wakes you out of your sleepy driving fun than that moment our terror that you've missed your exit and are about to enter a toll freeway on the company car

• Options
    edited September 2017
    @Mom2Kat that's very sweet of you!
    But I'm not actually watering any animals, I just coopted a small pet bottle for my own nefarious, robotics related purposes. I needed a one way passive flow valve at a very small scale, and it's surprisingly hard to find an industrial option. At least a cheap one. Those lixit bottles look great, but sadly are far too big.

Im bitching in here because as Chris says, the seal is very poor, but a decent check valve at that size is bloody hard to find. So I'm using liquid rubber to try to get a better stop. Hopefully it worked, I left it drying overnight. I'll go check today.

tynic on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2017
    The problem with the drippers leaking is that the stamped end of the cheap tube they use doesn't seal very well around the ball. If it was an injection-moulded piece of nylon instead it would have a much higher chance of sealing on the ball bearing. The problem is that making it out of nylon with a thick enough wall to give it enough strength to prevent breakage and still fit between the wires of the enclosure would be difficult, and might require a much more exotic material which would increase costs again.

Delrin or vespel time. There a bunch of sites that do short run additive manufacturing, not sure of all the material choices, but making a CAD model of the straw/tube would be straight forward. Could also have a sealing profile at the tip that's a better match to the ball. Maybe use an actual ball bearing as well for its much tighter tolerances.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Well I've officially seen everything.

Super lethargic woman comes in by fire dept, claims she didn't take any drugs. When changing her into a gown her heroin needle rolls out from under her breast. She denied knowing what it was or how it got there.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
This discussion has been closed.